Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? (3203 Views)

Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt / Prophet Joshua Iginla: "Nnamdi Kanu Has A Spirit In Him, Dialogue With Him Now" / Why I'm Convinced That No One Will Make Heaven, Be You A Christian Or A Pagan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Goshen360(m): 5:58am On Oct 20, 2015
I often see many Christians praying the prayer of David, perhaps when they sin or do something wrong or make a mistake\do something terrible like David did when he committed adultery with Bathsheba and killed the husband. This is not to endorse a practice of sinful lifestyle but to better put believers where they truly belong in the finished works of Christ.

First, as a believer\Christian, you should know better that sleeping with another man\woman('s) spouse is a no go area for you so that is out of the point but what about other sins, little or big? There's a huge difference between the old covenant and the new.

Under the old, David begged God or prayed that God should not take His Spirit from him - Psalm 51:11. In the new covenant which is a better covenant, God said, never will it happen that He will leave nor forsake us - Hebrews 13:5 and by Paul, the Apostle, God revealed to us that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 1:13.

So the question is,
1- Will a Christian loose the indwell of the Holy Spirit if or when they sin?
2 - Is the prayer of David in Psalm 51v11 still valid under the new covenant in the blood of Christ?

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by orisa37: 6:37am On Oct 20, 2015
Christian, Believer or not, only Born Again can never lose his or her Holy Spirit either in Heaven or on earth.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Princewell2012(m): 10:48am On Oct 20, 2015
HMMMM,.....what happen if a pastor commits adultery knowingly or unknowingly does he or she still retained the holyspirit

Because it have seen one.......
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Jeromejnr(m): 10:56am On Oct 20, 2015
The Holy Spirit can never forsake you but you can forsake Him.

Many people that were born again will still go to hell.

"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'"

"And If the righteous is scarcely saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Emusan(m): 12:17pm On Oct 20, 2015
Goshen360:
First, as a believer\Christian, you should know better that sleeping with another man\woman('s) spouse is a no go area for you so that is out of the point but what about other sins, little or big? There's a huge difference between the old covenant and the new.

Sin is sin, formication does not in any way different from lying.

The question we can ask ourselves is, can Holyspirit dwell in a life where sin(s) reign?

Under the old, David begged God or prayed that God should not take His Spirit from him - Psalm 51:11. In the new covenant which is a better covenant, God said, never will it happen that He will leave nor forsake us - Hebrews 13:5 and by Paul, the Apostle, God revealed to us that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit - Ephesians 1:13.

I can see how you misunderstood how God works with people in the scripture.

Things to know:
1. In the Old Testament God ONLY channels His HOLYSPIRIT to perform some specific tasks through some CHOSEN people that's why you can't see a whole congregation in the OT operating under the power of the Holy spirit.

2. In the New Testament God has freely pour out His Spirit UPON ALL FLESH which means The Spirit isn't working selectively by choosing some categories of people but ready to dwell with anybody who does His will.

Take note as this will help us in answering your questions.

So the question is,
1- Will a Christian loose the indwell of the Holy Spirit if or when they sin?

The word 'HOLY' that precedes His name denotes the main attribute of The Spirit and sin in other hand is anything that defiled the body or make it unholy. So if a Christian indulges in sin both Holy spirit and sin can't stay in the place. One must stay!

2 - Is the prayer of David in Psalm 51v11 still valid under the new covenant in the blood of Christ?

David's prayer does not bond by any covenant (but operational mode of Holy spirit defers in the two covenants) what the prayer simply means is that God since You've chosen to allow Your Spirit to work through me, please don't let me do any act contrary to Your will that'll make Him depart from me.

If you're not doing the will of the Holy spirit, He will leave you which can be said that God has taken His Spirit from you or the Spirit of God has departed from you.

But that doesn't mean the Spirit can't come back again.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by jiggaz(m): 7:32pm On Dec 03, 2015
Emusan:

Sin is sin, formication does not in any way different from lying.
The question we can ask ourselves is, can Holyspirit dwell in a life where sin(s) reign?
I can see how you misunderstood how God works with people in the scripture.
Things to know:
1. In the Old Testament God ONLY channels His HOLYSPIRIT to perform some specific tasks through some CHOSEN people that's why you can't see a whole congregation in the OT operating under the power of the Holy spirit.
2. In the New Testament God has freely pour out His Spirit UPON ALL FLESH which means The Spirit isn't working selectively by choosing some categories of people but ready to dwell with anybody who does His will.
Take note as this will help us in answering your questions.
The word 'HOLY' that precedes His name denotes the main attribute of The Spirit and sin in other hand is anything that defiled the body or make it unholy. So if a Christian indulges in sin both Holy spirit and sin can't stay in the place. One must stay!
David's prayer does not bond by any covenant (but operational mode of Holy spirit defers in the two covenants) what the prayer simply means is that God since You've chosen to allow Your Spirit to work through me, please don't let me do any act contrary to Your will that'll make Him depart from me.
If you're not doing the will of the Holy spirit, He will leave you which can be said that God has taken His Spirit from you or the Spirit of God has departed from you.
But that doesn't mean the Spirit can't come back again.
With this your reply, you have answered the question as a typical Nigerian Works-Based Christian. The Holy Spirit can never depart from a Believer no matter what. If it is so, that means that a Believer can also lose their Salvation which is not possible. Cos Apostle Paul said in the Scripture that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit the first day we received CHRIST into our life, pending the day of our redemption which is the Rapture. But i don't expect you to understand cos all of you have been brainwashed into thinking that it you that keeps your Salvation and not God.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by christiansister: 3:13pm On May 22, 2018
That's why the Holy Spirit is called our Ever-present help in times of need. You cannot lose Him, He cannot lose you. He will only act when you ask Him to.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by truthislight: 3:28pm On Jul 09, 2018
christiansister:
That's why the Holy Spirit is called our Ever-present help in times of need. You cannot lose Him, He cannot lose you. He will only act when you ask Him to.

Do you actually understand what the OP was talking about?
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 09, 2018
Op, Can you pour water into a dirty cup and drink it! If not, what do you do!
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 09, 2018
jiggaz:
With this your reply, you have answered the question as a typical Nigerian Works-Based Christian. The Holy Spirit can never depart from a Believer no matter what. If it is so, that means that a Believer can also lose their Salvation which is not possible. Cos Apostle Paul said in the Scripture that we are sealed with the Holy Spirit the first day we received CHRIST into our life, pending the day of our redemption which is the Rapture. But i don't expect you to understand cos all of you have been brainwashed into thinking that it you that keeps your Salvation and not God.
Ananias and Saphira, did they loose their salvation? Yes or No.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by jiggaz(m): 5:32am On Jul 10, 2018
Tosinex:
Ananias and Saphira were not Christians. When the bible wants to talk about them, it says "a certain man" but when it wants to talk about a Christian it says "a certain disciple" So from the above explanation, you will understand that they were just church goers, just like we have some church goers today in the church. They don't believe in the finished work of Christ for their salvation.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 10, 2018
jiggaz:
Ananias and Saphira were not Christians. When the bible wants to talk about them, it says "a certain man" but when it wants to talk about a Christian it says "a certain disciple" So from the above explanation, you will understand that they were just church goers, just like we have some church goers today in the church. They don't believe in the finished work of Christ for their salvation.
They listened to the Apostles, they probably might have gone out for altar call, and then mixed with the Christian folks,those who have believed. they understood what Acts 4:32-37 says (you can read it also) and they decided to do accordingly but They don't have the Spirit of truth in them, they lied and were judged with death immediately. Not because one is believed to be or called certain disciple and another one certain man. Even Cornelius was called a certain man and then a devout man in Acts 10 and was well spoken of. Was Demas not a fellow worker? Philemon 1:24, colossians 4:14, but Apostle Paul said he loved the world and forsake him 2 Timothy 4:10, well maybe he went for a good course but BibleGateway’s topical index has him under “COVETOUSNESS » INSTANCES OF” and “BACKSLIDERS », unmhnmmm maybe he was never a Christian at first!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by truthislight: 12:04pm On Jul 29, 2018
jiggaz:

JUST SHARRAAAAAP!

When you people wants to justify falsehood you pop out birds from your hat.

A none Christian that was answerable to the apostles as though the Apostles were political leaders. What else did he needed to do to be a christian that he did not do that you know about to warrant you saying he was not a Christian?

The Bible consistently says that he that endures to the end will be saved, you say no that you are saved and don't need the encouragement to endure to the end. Paul wasted his time advising your lots.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Emusan(m): 5:44pm On Jul 30, 2018
jiggaz:

My question goes to that underline...
If I have been sealed with Holy Spirit the very day I received Christ, and on the long run I committed a murder and I didn't repent. Am I still save?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:37pm On Jul 30, 2018
Emusan:

My question goes to that underline...
If I have been sealed with Holy Spirit the very day I received Christ, and on the long run I committed a murder and I didn't repent. Am I still save?

You are save. First of all a saved man is a new creature( 2Cor5:17), with a new nature of righteousness and not of murder.

The new creation in Christ desires peace, good, life, health for his neighbour.

It will be hard and rare for him to murder someone. For Christ has so much transformed him. Nevertheless, the new creation cannot be condemned no matter the mistake.

Christ is his sure foundation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by jiggaz(m): 7:39pm On Jul 30, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

You are save. First of all a saved man is a new creature( 2Cor5:17), with a new nature of righteousness and not of murder.

It will be hard and rare for him to murder someone. For Christ has so much transformed him. Nevertheless, the new creation cannot be condemned no matter the mistake.

Thank you bro for this beautiful explanation. I was about to reply him then i saw your post. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Emusan(m): 7:49pm On Jul 30, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

So you mean as you are now, you don't use to commit any sin?

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:50pm On Jul 30, 2018
jiggaz:
Thank you bro for this beautiful explanation. I was about to reply him then i saw your post. Thanks.

All thanks to Christ Jesus our wisdom and understand. In him we are forever.

Grace and peace brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by jiggaz(m): 8:02pm On Jul 30, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

All thanks to Christ Jesus our wisdom and understand. In him we are forever.

Grace and peace brother.
Amen
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:06pm On Jul 30, 2018
Emusan:

So you mean as you are now, you don't use to commit any sin?

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God( 1John1:3).

I make mistakes but I am not a sinner. I am a baby in righteousness growing by his grace unto full maturity in righteousness.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Amberon11: 8:42pm On Jul 30, 2018
You're wasting your time asking him questions. He will never see reasons with you. Joseph Prince and Pastor Chris has blinded with a false gospel. Telling them a sinner will go to heaven with sin present in his life.

After all is said and done he will call you a Pharisee.
Tosinex:

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Amberon11: 8:45pm On Jul 30, 2018
God bless you for this great words. Some people have let man blindfold and intoxicate them with a false gospel different from what Christ preached.

They now call sin a mistake.
truthislight:

JUST SHARRAAAAAP!

When you people wants to justify falsehood you pop out birds from your hat.

A none Christian that was answerable to the apostles as though the Apostles were political leaders. What else did he needed to do to be a christian that he did not do that you know about to warrant you saying he was not a Christian?

The Bible consistently says that he that endures to the end will be saved, you say no that you are saved and don't need the encouragement to endure to the end. Paul wasted his time advising your lots.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Amberon11: 8:49pm On Jul 30, 2018
There is surely a reward for you heretics.
The Bible made it clear that no murderer will inherit the kingdom but what do I know? Maybe you're the gateman that will allow them into heaven on the last day.
bloodofthelamb:

Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:30pm On Jul 30, 2018
Amberon11:
There is surely a reward for you heretics.
The Bible made it clear that no murderer will inherit the kingdom but what do I know? Maybe you're the gateman that will allow them into heaven on the last day.

Laughing in the Holy Ghost!!!... Apostle Paul was a muderer saved by grace and used mightily by the One who died for his sins...

Christ died for muderers so that they might enter his rest and favour.. Muderers who sincerely turn to Christ will be changed like apostle Paul was. He will not go on a killing spree.

That desire will be taken away slowly by the Spirit of Christ in him. Apostle paul is our worthy example here for he was a muderer.

Belove, I am not a heretic but a man of God's great grace.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by RedReact: 9:31pm On Jul 30, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God( 1John1:3).

I make mistakes but I am not a sinner. I am a baby in righteousness growing by his grace unto full maturity in righteousness.

We make mistakes because flesh didn't get regenerated, hence we cannot be called sinners. However, we do commit sin, hence the need to approach the Father for forgiveness and repentance.
Nothing is quite misleading and more dangerous than OSAS though.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by Emusan(m): 10:17pm On Jul 30, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Now see the way you're twisting and dodging the question.

Is there anything in the scripture that is called MISTAKE? You know you're not perfect yet fail to admit that you do sin.

Besides, you claimed you're not a sinner, are you God?

Even people who walked with Jesus when He was alive can't say they're not sinner!

The way Devil is playing with your salvation is so wide...
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by bloodofthelamb(m): 7:24am On Jul 31, 2018
Emusan:

Now see the way you're twisting and dodging the question.

Is there anything in the scripture that is called MISTAKE? You know you're not perfect yet fail to admit that you do sin.

Besides, you claimed you're not a sinner, are you God?

Even people who walked with Jesus when He was alive can't say they're not sinner!

The way Devil is playing with your salvation is so wide...

Understand this: I were a sinner but not anymore. Through Christ Jesus I have past from being a sinner to being the righteousness of God forever.

Nothing can change it, that is my new identity in Christ.

The devil cannot play with my salvation. Because no one can take me away from his mighty hand. He that is holding me is greater than all.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by RedReact: 8:50am On Aug 01, 2018
^^^
There is difference between committing sin and being a sinner.

A believer has the nature of righteousnessbin him, no doubt. But due to the fact that we are still living in this earthly body (the flesh), we are still liable to err. Remember the scripture enjoins is to be perfect, as our Father is. It wouldn't have said so if the ability to do that is not in is (a sinner cannot be asked such) and we wouldn't be asked to be if there is no tendency to deviate from that path of perfection.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by ichuka(m): 11:48pm On Aug 03, 2018
@OP NO!
Can he/she still commit sin?YES!
Is He still a sinner?NO!
I can operate heavy duty equipments soundly but,that doesn't qualifies me as a crane/swap buggy operator.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by truthislight: 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2018
RedReact:
^^^
There is difference between committing sin and being a sinner.

A believer has the nature of righteousnessbin him, no doubt. But due to the fact that we are still living in this earthly body (the flesh), we are still liable to err. Remember the scripture enjoins is to be perfect, as our Father is. It wouldn't have said so if the ability to do that is not in is (a sinner cannot be asked such) and we wouldn't be asked to be if there is no tendency to deviate from that path of perfection.

The above is coloration of the argument with wrongly applied notion.

The question is: CAN A CHRISTIAN, BELIEVER, OR BORN AGAIN LOOSE OUT OR BE REJECTED BY GOD? (Loose holy spirit)

The above is what you should explicitly answer and not using the encouragement to christian to imitate the perfection of almighty God as a basis to justify your "doctrine of once save always saved".

We are asked to imitate God now because we have a model of Christ example to follow and the help of the holy spirit to pursue righteousness unlike before. That we are told to pursue perfection in know way make us perfect but rather that we have the tools or means to do so.

That Christians have the means to do so, does it means that it is all that will be successful or keep the holy spirit? NO!

That you give a student all the material to prepare for an examination to pass with an 'A' and you encourage the child to go for an 'A' in no way means that the child will make an 'A'.

Peace.
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by truthislight: 2:00pm On Aug 05, 2018
ichuka:
@OP NO!
Can he/she still commit sin?YES!
Is He still a sinner?NO!
I can operate heavy duty equipments soundly but,that doesn't qualifies me as a crane/swap buggy operator.

We were only given a clean slate to start afresh without counting the sins of Adam for his offspring that has always been the case before the coming of the Christ/death.

God did not initiate partiality for those living after the dearth of Christ. We are still humans same as those that live before Christ, But without Adamic sin weighing us down.

If automatic immunity was not given to those before Christ, What justice is there if they are to die for their sins and we will not, but will be save irrespective of our actions? God almighty is not a party to partiality.

Peace
Re: Can A Christian Or Believer Loose The Holy Spirit In Them? by ichuka(m): 3:00pm On Aug 05, 2018
truthislight:

We were only given a clean slate to start afresh without counting the sins of Adam for his offspring that has always been the case before the coming of the Christ/death.

God did not initiate partiality for those living after the dearth of Christ. We are still humans same as those that live before Christ, But without Adamic sin weighing us down.

If automatic immunity was not given to those before Christ, What justice is there if they are to die for their sins and we will not, but will be save irrespective of our actions? God almighty is not a party to partiality.

Peace
King James Version
For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Open Message To Daddy Freeze And His Supporters / Mfm Prayer Points For Valentines Day / Download “street Gospel Gyration” 2017 Mixtape By DJ Ernesty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.