Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,480 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

How To Prepare Oseala - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare Oseala (2462 Views)

Nigerian Vegetable Stew Recipe: How To Prepare Healthy Vegetable Stew / Man Kills Monkeys In Port-Harcourt, Uses Them To Prepare Pepper Soup. Photos / Recipe: How To Prepare Plantain Fufu In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 9:24pm On Oct 20, 2015
Don't panic; it's the name of a traditional soup.

Again, don't wonder why I didn't add soup to the name - it's already included.

Oseala is a combination of two igbo words: ose - pepper, and ala - ground.

That also tells you two things:
1. It is peppery.
2. It is prepared on the ground.

Hahahaha. See some people's face! Not on the ground. Abeg go and wash your mortar.

OK. I was just in the kitchen this evening prepping ingredients I needed to prepare the family okra soup dinner when I just thought of writing a recipe on Nairaland. As quick as that thought came, I also felt that there would be many recipes on that already.

It was then I remembered Oseala, a traditional soup my mom taught me to prepare during the days I spent with her in the kitchen as a kid. Also reminds me of my Unizik prescience days when there would be no soup in the house and my roommate and I too tired to go and buy stuff.
I'd just whip out a pot( we depended on our female lodgemates for a mortar and pestle) and viola! In minutes, we would be sweating after a meal of elubo and oseala.

**smile on my face**

Alright! If you're not already bored from reading my prologue or autobiography, here's how to prepare Oseala.

WHAT YOU NEED
Crayfish
Water
Spice( I prefer natural, please use iru, ogiri, dawa-dawa if available)
Salt( to taste)
Pepper( I love Ghana/Cameroun pepper, don't know how you call it; you can also use fresh pepper, red or yellow).

METHOD
If you just thought of pouring all your ingredients into the mortar/pot and stirring, you're right, but there is an order.

Start with your ogiri( sorry, I will have to find the English name for this one), add little water as you stir. This will give you a thick broth, then add in the pepper, crayfish, and pepper, before you finally add salt, to taste, stirring all the while.

If you want it to be hot, then warm it as desired; but then, it won't be Oseala!

PS: If you think this won't taste good, try it.
And now, I hand over to the self-ordained hygiene professionals to tell me how it is unsafe to eat uncooked food!

*****remembers fish on fire and rushes off*****

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 7:24am On Oct 21, 2015
I don't see comments.
Abi people think say na joke?
Re: How To Prepare Oseala by K9blunt(f): 3:57pm On Oct 21, 2015
where I come from (delta) my mom taught me about it, in different ways (like 2 different ways grin) (me mom's from ezi in delta state)

its called oseani in my place. and its quite delicious tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by K9blunt(f): 4:09pm On Oct 21, 2015
the way I was taught was

* boil some water
* pound the uziza leaves (not much o, oyo lo ma wa) until it seems smoothly shredded
* pour your desired pepper, crayfish, and iru or ogiri (anyhow)
* then pour your hot water (it would've simmered a little so the soup can be hot
* salt to taste.

and note while doing all those adding's you must be stirring the mixture with your pestle o.

mehn I love that soup, maybe I should do it for dinner with correct 3 wraps of fufu. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2015
K9blunt:
the way I was taught was

* boil some water
* pound the uziza leaves (not much o, oyo lo ma wa) until it seems smoothly shredded
* pour your desired pepper, crayfish, and iru or ogiri (anyhow)
* then pour your hot water (it would've simmered a little so the soup can be hot
* salt to taste.

and note while doing all those adding's you must be stirring the mixture with your pestle o.

mehn I love that soup, maybe I should do it for dinner with correct 3 wraps of fufu. grin

Hehe. I like your ingredients and procedure, especially the uziza part( I love uziza) and I might try that your variant.
Well, as for warm water, I wanted to write a 'completely on the ground' procedure.

Three wraps of fufu? shocked for who and who? Don't compete with me, or ah does finish you na... grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by K9blunt(f): 1:04pm On Oct 23, 2015
OkekeChristian:

Hehe. I like your ingredients and procedure, especially the uziza part( I love uziza) and I might try that your variant.
Well, as for warm water, I wanted to write a 'completely on the ground' procedure.

Three wraps of fufu? shocked for who and who? Don't compete with me, or ah does finish you na... grin

its the same on the ground procedure, just try warming the water then pour into the mortar with the ingredients. I just like my ose ani hot!

as for fufu, you know say e heavy pass pounded yam, when I say wraps of fufu a, talking the one they sell 3 for 50naira I fit finish 2 batches like that dey ask for more............. you be pikin for my side grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2015
K9blunt:

its the same on the ground procedure, just try warming the water then pour into the mortar with the ingredients. I just like my ose ani hot!

as for fufu, you know say e heavy pass pounded yam, when I say wraps of fufu, I am talking about the one they sell 3 for 50naira I fit finish 2 batches like that dey ask for more............. you be pikin for my side grin

OK! You're talking about the one they sell 3 for N50? Mtchew, I was talking about the one of N50 each. Na im be say you still dey play local league. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by K9blunt(f): 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2015
OkekeChristian:

OK! You're talking about the one they sell 3 for N50? Mtchew, I was talking about the one of N50 each. Na im be say you still dey play local league. grin

you win.........................lol

wetin you dey feel like, baba king grin

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 2:53pm On Oct 23, 2015
K9blunt:

you win.........................lol

wetin you dey feel like, baba king grin

Hehehe... you don't know me, I am a finisher... LMAO.
How your today na?
Re: How To Prepare Oseala by K9blunt(f): 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2015
OkekeChristian:

Hehehe... you don't know me, I am a finisher... LMAO.
How your today na?

e dey as e dey, you nko?
Re: How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2015
K9blunt:

e dey as e dey, you nko?

ma dear we dey o! Jehovah ka bu eze. How school na? Una dey holiday?
Re: How To Prepare Oseala by K9blunt(f): 3:02pm On Oct 23, 2015
OkekeChristian:

ma dear we dey o! Jehovah ka bu eze. How school na? Una dey holiday?

no no exam things on ground now
Re: How To Prepare Oseala by OkekeChristian(m): 4:05pm On Oct 23, 2015
K9blunt:

no no exam things on ground now

Oh girl eh! See enjoyment... exams tongue

(1) (Reply)

Buy Your Pure Nsukka Natural Honey Here / Pumpkin Leaves / When Was The Last Time You Ate This Delicacy? FOR IGBOS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.