Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure (62659 Views)

MYTHBUSTER: This Is The Real Largest Man-made Structure, Not Eredo Ijebu / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure / The Benin (igodomigodo) Moats - The Largest Man-made Earthworks In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 9:19pm On Oct 21, 2015
Shymm3x:

Loool.

I know ya brain cells wouldn't be able to come up with anything apart from utter useless babble and a massive pile of poop by a wet dog.

I just gave you an analysis of why Eredo is in ruin and what caused it - the zoo - suck on that.

Not surprised you have nothing but foulness and idiocy to return. Sign of your defeat. I'm out, till someone sensible comes in.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Shymm3x: 9:24pm On Oct 21, 2015
Rossikk:

Not surprised you have nothing but foulness and idiocy to return. Sign of your defeat. I'm out, till someone sensible comes in.

Utter nonsense!

Lmao @ sign of defeat when you never addressed the two strikes I cited. All you did was post an incoherent rant - spouting tosh with absolutely no correlation with what is being discussed.

You are a time waster.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by IamAtribalist: 9:45pm On Oct 21, 2015
IyaIode:

Brodaa which head shape you carry?

Nice thread

Squarehead my dear.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Swissheart(f): 11:14pm On Oct 21, 2015
tpiander:

is Epe not closer to Ondo state?

just asking.
....no...Mojoda Epe is the boundary of Ogun and Lagos state.Not close to ondo at all except going through ijebu ode-Ore rd...and it is a lot of distance
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by macof(m): 1:09am On Oct 22, 2015
Well the so called wall is natural not man made, it's the moat between the earthen walls that was created at about 800AD, the charcoals plus iron tools used to burn the trees and clear the paths I think were studied. It was basically a "digging" not a "building" . It was ordered by a queen or noble woman merchant who had her giant slaves make a path for her to pass and also as a way to keep her legacy, having no child to do that....so they say

So let's assume she dug it to protect herself from bandits, and surely it was completed in her life time

But I doubt if this woman had anything to do with Queen of Sheba or that "Bilikisu" was her name.

I watched a video, that said some folks walked two months and couldn't complete the path grin
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by tpiander: 6:08am On Oct 22, 2015
^ how so?
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by macof(m): 9:42am On Oct 22, 2015
tpiander:
^ how so?

what exactly are you talking about?
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by neocortex: 10:24am On Oct 22, 2015
This is a great finding which adds to the already rich history of Africa.
Lalasticlala abeg promote Nigeria.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by idu1(m): 11:04am On Oct 22, 2015
This Eredo is interesting....
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Naijatells: 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
for the latest naija news and more interesting stories visit
http://naijatells.com/
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by mmsen: 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
Rossikk:

When we stopped believing we could achieve great things. Colonialism destroyed our self-belief.

The Eredo earthworks could not be built today. We lack the self-esteem, organisation, unity, and long-term vision to even contemplate such an effort.

There are many capable people in Nigeria and Nigerians abroad too.

The problem is that the fools are allowed to run the show. I'm sure there have been periods when that has not been the case.

We need to get back to a period where those with aptitude and ability are in positions of responsibility and not just those who are elder, louder or imbibed with religious fervour.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by rexbuton: 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2015
not as extensive as the Benin moats.. consult wikipedia
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 22, 2015
Discovery Wonders!
Need something on Jumia? Contact me now!
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by IceDude(m): 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2015
bigwind:
I will be back, preparing for work now.
Pls help me summarize when u get back, i cant read that epistle embarassed
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rotimi47: 12:59pm On Oct 22, 2015
IamAtribalist:
cool I am not very surprised. I have always suspected that our amala-eating conehead compatriots are descendants of remarkable forbears. If you have lived among the coneheads you will know what am talking about. There is always this ancient depth and wisdom that underlies their culture and mannerism. Unfortunately, they have been corrupted by a sick Nigerian society and externally imposed religions (Christianity and Islam) -and now they have become the most conniving, cunning and manipulative political sector in the country. However, who can really blame them considering how frustrating/corrupt the Nigerian Zeitgist is. To be righteous in Nigeria is to be a fool. A real big fool.

When I visited South Africa 5 years ago, I met an old Zulu chief who told me the Zulu (his people) traded with ancient Yoruboid/Edoid tribes as far back 700 years before the Europeans came to the the Horn of Africa. Apparently (According to the chief) these conehead amala-eating muthafvckers and their Edo brothers build sea vessels that traveled from Western coast of Africa down to the shores of South Africa. I asked him how he knew they were Yorubas and he said all he knows is that those people came from the same place the present day South Westerners reside today - and the story has been passed on from generation to generation. He said grandfather visited Nigeria pre-independence and was able to swap stories or oral tradition of trade with some of the Egbas of the South West.

We Africans have lost our way. We have allowed the white man to tell us lies about our origin and our destiny. Findings like this should be used to enlighten our people (all over the world) to help us retrace back our steps so we can rule the world again. Who would have thought that the Jewel of the Middle Ages was built right here at home in Nigeria by descendants of our conehead conniving compatriots. Even though I am a tribalist - this is great news not only for Nigerians but Africans and blacks and all of humanity.
True as the Brazilians have also been trading with Ile-ife before the so called White guy discovered River Niger; the records are there to show that the Yorubas have been navigating the seas from Africa to Brazil but problem came in when we the Yorubas started having our civil war which lead to slave trade.

Though flat heads/chest beaters don't like us & we tend to return their gestures but the truth is that the Southern part of Nigeria is one of God's best gift to Africa & to a larger extent the World.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2015
Rossikk:

Please spare us this CRAP. Whoever ''destroyed your great Ijebuland'' was 'from Ijebu', and was a member of your own Ogun state govt. If your state is not doing well, hold your state govt accountable. They were not denied their federal allocation and neither were they denied the right to harness your state resources. Nobody has stopped them from turning Eredo into a tourist goldmine. Is that Nigeria's fault too? Don't use Nigeria as your crutch to keep on hating your fellow Africans. Or blaming the failures of your own people on 'Nigeria'. Eredo symbolised African achievement. Don't soil it with your modern anti-African mentality using 'Nigeria' as your excuse to hate.
Thanks a lot for your comment, if only more nigerians would think like you and stop looking for who to blame for our problems nigeria would be much better for all of us. apportioning blames seems to be our stock in trade especially here on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 22, 2015
IamAtribalist:

cool Typical akpu-eating chestbeating flattheads. Its one thing to be a tribalist (like me - nobody gives the coneheads a harder time on NL), however to allow tribalism to cloud your judgement is an indication of poverty of mind and spirit. If you fail to recognize the strengths of your 'enemy' you will ALWAYS look up to him. I have told you flattheads that the coneheads are far superior to you when it comes to when it comes to issues of the mind and ability to think clearly. It doesn't mean I like them any more than I like you. I am a tribalist. I am suspicious of any and all tribes that aren't mine. But, I will be a fool to allow that to cloud my judgment of reality. This is the problem flattheads have and its the very thing, I believe, that will doom them in this country in the long run.

You are wicked!! cry

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 22, 2015
DaFlash:
I will always say and belive in this, The yoruba civilization may have been started by ancient astronauts(aliens) which they decended from the sky to teach or share with our ansestors valuable tech and dimentional understanding(ifaology), the story of oduduwa decending from the sky may have been alien landings, sango's axe may have been some kind of advance weapon that produces lightning and list goes on...

Interesting. If I had said this,some people like KingEbukasBlog,Jeromejnr and fellow cocoanut heads grin would have descended on me.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by fashionale(m): 1:16pm On Oct 22, 2015
Where are the arial
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by AreaFada2: 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2015
Soknown:
Wow, 160km. That is longer than Lagos - Ibadan expressway shocked. Imagine a virgin rain forest longer than Lagos-Ibadan expressway, that is a sure badass revenue prospect for the government if properly harnessed. Ministry of tourism need to clean it up an make it accessible, provide security, get UNESCO world heritage site approval, give it more publicity locally and internationally. What an heritage.

Well, the Chinese will soon "discover" more miles of the Great wall to reclaim this record. When Benin Kingdom Moats and Ramparts were declared mankind's greatest engineering feat, the Chinese quickly "discovered" more miles of the Great wall. grin cheesy

Well, the Yoruba have political power at the centre and can promote & harness this.

Nigerian government wasn't interested in minority people's ancient achievement like Benin one. All the UNESCO World Heritage sites were fought for by dogged Benin people and some foreigners. shocked

In modern times, we would be waiting for Western help to help us build, in vain. undecided
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2015
Good job Rossikk,but unfortunately you are educating a wrong audience. Rather than learn and make their research, they will gang up against you. More power to your elbows but please ignore the ones who come with insult. It is not easy to free slaves from their chains

2 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by kraftykc(m): 1:20pm On Oct 22, 2015
ChimaAdeoye:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=18pt]Chest beaters!

As usual, making hilarious claims.

Why not the biggest man made object in the universe? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
[/size]

When you see an achievement, you would do well to acknowledge it. Being closed-minded because others choose to be makes you one among many potential idiots. You are better than this my brother, different your cap for them and move on.

@Post, impressive feature, I'd heard there is a wall in Benin wider and longer than the great Wall of China. These are wonderful discoveries in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by proxillin(m): 1:21pm On Oct 22, 2015
Yorubas are not making use of their cultural heritage. There are many wonders in Ile-Ife..,

4 Likes

Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 22, 2015
Rossikk:

I'm not from SW. Kindly take your ethnic nonsense to another place. As for ''hilarious claims'', I guess it would be 'hilarious' to someone who doesn't care to research his own history, despite the ease of doing so these days via Google.

Don't blame that dude bro, if this thread happens to be from SE, That how Yoruba will derail it..so its verse versa Its in both DNA, Envious of Each other ...

WELCOME TO NAIRALAND
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by skondo09(m): 1:23pm On Oct 22, 2015
I wish Nigerians government and citizens knows the importance of treasuring historical elements
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 22, 2015
ifeness:
Good job Rossikk,but unfortunately you are educating a wrong audience. Rather than learn and make their research, they will gang up against you. More power to your elbows but please ignore the ones who come with insult. It is not easy to free slaves from their chains

lolz
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Orikinla(m): 1:43pm On Oct 22, 2015
Orjioorji:
that's great from south west, if a record is to be kept from creation you will discover that we are all brothers in Nigeria. why the hatred.
. IFA has the answers. Researchers should consult Prof. Wande Abimbola to use IFA DIVINATION to find out the answers on the origins of Eredo Kingdom.
Re: Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure by Rossikk(m): 1:56pm On Oct 22, 2015
skondo09:
I wish Nigerians government and citizens knows the importance of treasuring historical elements

Honestly, it's very frustrating. Look at common Stonehenge in the UK which is just a small circular structure with a few rocks piled on top of each other, yet they've harnessed and promoted that place to the point where it draws MILLIONS of visitors annually from all over the world. The Eredo and Benin earthworks are far more impressive than Stonehenge. In fact you can't compare them. Yet ours is ignored, covered in bush and left to rot, while the UK makes billions of pounds per year. We have problems.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Imo State Mandatory Bride Prize List / Masquerade Exhibiting Powers Failed By His Juju As Bullet Penetrates - Oyo State / Salaries Of South-West Obas Before Independence (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.