Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times (4301 Views)

Is Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari Dead Or Alive? IB Times UK / BREAKING News, Dss Swore Never To Set Nnamdi Kanu Free / Breaking: UK IB Times Says Nigeria Have Expired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by ezeagu(m): 10:22pm On Oct 21, 2015
By Ludovica Iaccino

The leader of a separatist movement that calls for the independence of Biafra from Nigeria has been released on bail, Nigeria's state security service (DSS) told IBTimes UK. Nnamdi Kanu was apprehended by the DSS in Lagos after he had flown from the UK, where he lives, earlier in October.

Kanu is considered the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (Ipob) and is the director of the London-based radio station Radio Biafra, which the Nigerian government has deemed illegal. Ipob and other groups advocate for the independence of the Biafran territories, which separated from Nigeria in 1967 and were re-annexed to the African nation in 1970 following a civil war that killed between one and three million people.

When contacted by IBTimes UK on 21 October, a spokesperson for the DSS said: "Yes, [Kanu] is free, he is on bail". The spokesperson refused to give further details on the bail and on Kanu's whereabouts. The Vanguard newspaper featured an interview with Kanu's lawyer, Egechukwu Obetta, who claimed the Ipob leader had been granted bail for the sum of 2 million Naira (£6,500).

However, Ipob members and supporters of the Biafra cause claimed that Kanu had not been released, with some suggesting he is being tortured by authorities. IBTimes UK was not able to independently verify the allegations of torture. Media sources supporting the break-up from Nigeria called the bail "controversial" and claimed the DSS announced the bail only "to calm the angry people of Biafra".

In the middle of the Twitter storm following Kanu's arrest, some people spoke out against him, claiming he is "a fraudster" that uses the Biafra cause for his own interests. Some also accused Radio Biafra of promoting hate speech against those who do not support the independence of Biafra or belong to ethnic groups other than Igbo, the biggest ethnic group in the Biafran territories.

In an interview with IBTimes UK, David Otto, CEO of UK-based global security provider TGS Intelligence Consultants, said Kanu might have been arrested in relation to his role in the activities of Radio Biafra, which the Nigerian government has made illegal. The government claimed in July that the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) had managed to jam its signal.

Kanu's arrest triggered protests, mainly attended by women, in several states in Nigeria. It is believed that traffic was disrupted in Porth Harcourt, Rivers State, during protests, which also occurred in Anambra and Delta states.

Some protester accused the police of shooting on the women who were calling for Kanu's release. This is not the first time that pro-Biafrans have accused authorities of being violent. The police denied the claims, while rights group Amnesty International said in an exclusive report to IBTimes UK that there is "credible evidence that pro-Biafran separatists in Nigeria are targeted by police".

In recent months, Nigerian police have been cracking down on pro-Biafrans amid allegations they are hosting violent protests and after the inspector general of police, Solomon E Arase, released a statement urging authorities to clamp down on people who behaved violently across the country.

A perceived increase in pro-Biafran activities was also confirmed by Anambra State commissioner of police Hassan Karma during another interview with IBTimes UK. He said: "It is people taking laws into their hands and it's the same situation that generated Boko Haram today in the north east. People started like this, even in Niger Delta, where militants started kidnapping people for extortion."

Otto warned that pro-Biafrans might turn into a violent movement if they join forces with Niger Delta militants. In an exclusive interview with IBTimes UK he said that there are fears that the pro-Biafran movement is "gearing up to seek for a secession".
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nnamdi-kanu-ipob-leader-whereabouts-unknown-despite-nigeria-security-forces-claiming-he-bail-1525032

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by ezeagu(m): 10:22pm On Oct 21, 2015
I guess she's the editor for Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by EasternLionn: 10:54pm On Oct 21, 2015
Since last week, Nnamdi Kanu has made headline in international press than the paedophile president and his kitchen cabinet combined.

18 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Chanchit: 10:57pm On Oct 21, 2015
M
EasternLionn:
Since last week, Nnamdi Kanu has made headline in international press than the paedophile president and his kitchen cabinet combined.

Sidon there dey chop mama thank you, while Nnamdi dey suffer for prison u dey say he dey make headline.
Anyway, they should just do general check up for the guy when he's finally released, cos many things go don spoil for him body, they should start with his memory card.

9 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Emekamex(m): 11:05pm On Oct 21, 2015
Kanu- The Moses of our time.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Tolatutu: 11:08pm On Oct 21, 2015
He was given bail days ago only that his people couldn't fulfill the bail conditions. Instead they were roaming the streets and getting dealt with by the Nigerian police who are always trigger happy anyway

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by nnachukz(m): 11:12pm On Oct 21, 2015
Why are UK press and Amnesty International so concerned about this arrest? Are they working with the guy?
Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by YoruBanger: 11:20pm On Oct 21, 2015
Hian! You mean to tell me that Nnamdi Kanu is yet to meet his bail conditions? ? After how many days? All these people protesting up and down should instead pull their resources and raise the bail money na, make Una save Kanu from prison o. Naija prison worse pass the one Mandela did his time in o, else mosquitoes go tattoo and panel-beat kanu body for there o.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by FreeGlobe(f): 11:23pm On Oct 21, 2015
we are keeping tab.

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by basilo101: 11:27pm On Oct 21, 2015
Chanchit:
M

Sidon there dey chop mama thank you, while Nnamdi dey suffer for prison u dey say he dey make headline.
Anyway, they should just do general check up for the guy when he's finally released, cos many things go do spoil for him body, they should start with his memory card.
Before it used to be "u r risking ur life while Nnamdi is enjoying in London" now its " u r chopin mama thank ma while Nnamdi suffer in prison". yeye ppl

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by ezeagu(m): 11:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
What will be next?

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by athaboi(f): 12:02am On Oct 22, 2015
Biafra is a must! Freedom! Freedom!! Freedom!!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by wisdomguy4u(m): 12:10am On Oct 22, 2015
The world is watching ...

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by MRSALT: 3:19am On Oct 22, 2015
YoruBanger:
Hian! You mean to tell me that Nnamdi Kanu is yet to meet his bail conditions? ? After how many days? All these people protesting up and down should instead pull their resources and raise the bail money na, make Una save Kanu from prison o. Naija prison worse pass the one Mandela did his time in o, else mosquitoes go tattoo and panel-beat kanu body for there o.

The money is not the problem. A civil servant will also stand for him. I wonder if there is any reasonable civil servant ready to take such risk.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by kettykin: 3:29am On Oct 22, 2015
ezeagu:
What will be next?

Ipob might assemble a team of international lawyers, advocates, solicitors to take the federal government to court in Nigeria and overseas, I am not an insider just what I think might happen.

If things go the Ipob way which I think judging from the planned way Nnamdi kanu strolled into the hands of Nigerian security then this could be the beginning of biafra

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by UmuEri(m): 3:42am On Oct 22, 2015
YoruBanger:
my friend keep shut! Are you so daft to understand we are enjoying the wold attention?

Do you think we are in a hurry for Kanu's release? Obviously, the zoo is still a learner in international politics!

He laid a trap, and the zoo unknowingly walked into it. Too bad!

Note: The wold is taking notice of all the protests and police brutality! That is the game plan.

7 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by cybertyrant(m): 4:13am On Oct 22, 2015
UmuEri:
my friend keep shut! Are you so daft to understand we are enjoying the wold attention?

Do you think we are in a hurry for Kanu's release? Obviously, the zoo is still a learner in international politics!

Note: The wold is taking notice of all the protests and police brutality! That is the game plan.
i keep loving this the more, Biafra is coming
The arrest was the big plan to get world attention ha
Biafra will rise like the sun this morning

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Nobody: 4:31am On Oct 22, 2015
YoruBanger:

Do you mean the ransom demanded by Nigerian kidnapping team? In anyways, Biafrans doesn't negotiate with terrorist that's why we haven't pulled resource to dash to your terrorist government.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by cybertyrant(m): 4:38am On Oct 22, 2015
The only world platform that has not reported nnamdi kanu is aljazeera,others have already reported including BBC,CNN,fox news,etc

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by tsdarkside(m): 5:30am On Oct 22, 2015
UmuEri:

you can not fool us...no reasonable person,would think its a good idea to be in nigerian-prison,to prove a point...it doesnt make sense....have you ever been in a nigerian-prison before??....nigerian-prison is not something to joke about.....kanu is a goner....

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by tsdarkside(m): 5:36am On Oct 22, 2015
cybertyrant:
i keep loving this the more, Biafra is coming
The arrest was the big plan to get world attention ha
Biafra will rise like the sun this morning

that you even allow white-devils in your movement,shows how treasurous you people are....you hate your own black brothers and sisters so much,that you are ready to assist the white-devil destroy africa again.....traitors!!!....... angry angry angry angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Atlantian: 5:44am On Oct 22, 2015
tsdarkside:

that you even allow white-devils in your movement,shows how treasurous you people are....you hate your own black brothers and sisters so much,that you are ready to assist the white-devil destroy africa again.....traitors!!!....... angry angry angry angry
You will be given Biafran Residency on application. Stop being jealous of the rising star. No one can stop the rise of stars.

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by IamAtribalist: 5:46am On Oct 22, 2015
cool

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by kingdompropty: 5:54am On Oct 22, 2015
Biafra may happen under Buhari.

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by tsdarkside(m): 5:55am On Oct 22, 2015
Atlantian:
You will be given Biafran Residency on application. Stop being jealous of the rising star. No one can stop the rise of stars.

jealous??...why should i be jealous......i already belong....you shall fail,and your white-devils too.....
Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by kingzizzy: 6:03am On Oct 22, 2015
Kanu is an evil genius. That man has done so much within a week to damage the reputation of Nigeria in eyes of the international community and to expose the country as a place where the fundamental rights of man mean nothing. Just buy flying in to have himself arrested. The man has guts. He said it openly that he is not afraid of being arrested because it is part of freedom fighting to harassed by the authorities and he proved it by fearlessly returning home. Now when he is released, the world news media will fall over themselves to get an interview with him where he will destroy what is left of the zoological Republic of Lord Lugard.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by cybertyrant(m): 6:13am On Oct 22, 2015
tsdarkside:

racist wats ur problem ,should we leave full blooded white biafrans with white mothers or are u insane

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Ayoswit(f): 6:17am On Oct 22, 2015
K
Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by aperture11: 6:32am On Oct 22, 2015
My candid opinion about this is that if people want to go, they should let them go. I do know that this renewed cause is because GEJ lost, otherwise they would have cried this loud in the last 6 years but it doesn't matter.

Can anyone here tell me exactly where the confirmed boundary of Biafra terminates, I am thinking that will only be the issue. The other Igboid groups like Ikwerres, Aniocha, Agbor/Auchi etc. can have a referendum as to whether they want to be part of Biafra or Nigeria.

If the cry for self determination has been around for this long, heck it is time to put it to bed. Nigeria has nothing to lose. The oil wells that seems to be the bone of contention has just about 10years max with the discovery of shale and most of the wells are not even in confirmed Biafraland anyway.

So let's make this happen and fast.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 22, 2015
booked
Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by IGBOPRINCE: 6:37am On Oct 22, 2015
tsdarkside:

you can not fool us...no reasonable person,would think its a good idea to be in nigerian-prison,to prove a point...it doesnt make sense....have you ever been in a nigerian-prison before??....nigerian-prison is not something to joke about.....kanu is a goner....
he s detain, or cell, not prison? I guess there s a dif man.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu 'Free' - IB Times by DaBullIT(m): 6:42am On Oct 22, 2015
rose2014 how can Lawyer say he has been released and the IPOB/MASSOB are having doubts i guess it's hypocrisy ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

On The Foolish And Blind Hatred For President Muhammadu Buhari. / A Guy Was Working In An Oil Firm, Recession Came And This Happened. / Photos Of Adaibeku 1 Of IPOB In Her Grand Uncle's Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.