Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (297) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (666964 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 8:31pm On Nov 22, 2015
zimoni:

Yes Ma'am.

Mechanised farming is the way out. With capital and dedication, it is possible.

You'll hear about a farmer who's doing great in Osun next year. It's Loading.......

Would be rooting for you!!!

Alubarika all the wayyyyyy! smiley
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 8:34pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ilekehd ,

New page on moi!! tongue

Shakiti bobo *dances out of thread*

House,

It is looking like the Okun people are going to rule kogi or is there a lacuna to prevent that?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 8:46pm On Nov 22, 2015
modath:

Ilekehd ,

New page on moi!! tongue

Shakiti bobo *dances out of thread*

House,

It is looking like the Okun people are going to rule kogi or is there a lacuna to prevent that?

E se pupo. Do agric, it pays.

Yes ooooooo. I didn't want to post the news here yet until it's confirmed by APC themselves that Abubakar Audu is an Arsenal Fan(A Gonner).

Too bad if truly the dude had expired. The Igalas are gonna cry, I have interacted with some of them and they've all told me the same thing. "They are not going to let either a Yoruba or Ebira govern Kogi State and any party who fields a candidate that's not Igala has lost already".

They want to rule that state forever even though the Igalas that had ruled the state so far have failed woefully.

It will look as if it was arranged(a coup) for an Igala to emerge victorious in a gubernatorial election and an Okun to be sworn-on.

Anyway sha, let's wait till we confirm whether he's dead or not.

Left for me, that dude should have retired and be enjoying young punnies on Wellignton Beach. I'm going to enjoy life on various beaches across the world before I return to heaven or hell-fire.

Life is good.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 22, 2015
[size=14pt]Oluseye Ogunlesi Reinterprets The Yoruba Concept Of ‘Ori’ With Geometric Figures & Faces[/size]

Nigerian-born creative Oluseye (Seye Ogunlesi) says his works combines his interest in Yoruba culture and geometry to explore universal themes of sexuality, spirituality, and identity. With his debut exhibition, he looks to deconstruct and reinterpret notions of Ori, the physical and metaphysical concept and term that translates literally to “head” in Yoruba. According to a press release, the series, now on view at Gallery 151 in New York City, sees the Toronto-based visual artist and designer create “a visual narrative in which concepts of identity & being, body & mind, sex & sexuality, the physical & spiritual are vital and fluid constituents of Ori

[img]http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54b378a9e4b01fb03bf3b9e2/54f74429e4b0f00948dfab62/55882acee4b09925a6d67363/1446876886618/OLUSEYE+-+DELE+STUDIO+SHOT.png?format=750w[/img]

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 8:53pm On Nov 22, 2015
forgiveness:

grin
Believe and it would come to pass....lol
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by angiography(m): 9:22pm On Nov 22, 2015
zimoni:

Yes Ma'am.

Mechanised farming is the way out. With capital and dedication, it is possible.

You'll hear about a farmer who's doing great in Osun next year. It's Loading.......
bro, that's what I'm doing oo... coupled with pursuing my second degree in medicine...

have some 80 acre around Waasinmi
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2015
angiography:

bro, that's what I'm doing oo... coupled with pursuing my second degree in medicine...

have some 80 acre around Waasinmi

Nice one Bro. I'm working towards the actualization. I'm going to open threads in agric section and post here next year.

The Lord is on the throne, it is possible.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ooni at Ile Olorisa compound to greet Obatala and also pay rites to the compound as well as perform certain rites.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 22, 2015

Oluorogbo folks were there as well as the

Oba ijugbe, Orisakire and Orisaoko folks.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 22, 2015
9jacrip Nice one wink

I dey feel that red brick house by the right

When is the festival starting?

angiography I like your username grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 22, 2015

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by chic2pimp(m): 10:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
Katsumoto:

Me me me

I know this one. Lion is kiniun

Gorilla must be gorilla in all languages jor.

grin grin grin

Kats na here you come dey now abi? Nah which mini skirt madame you chase come here? wink grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
9jacrip Nice one wink

That is Fanihunre lineage (house). The red brick house is common in Ife even mansions are buit in red bricks and plastered with cement.

Starts december for awa omo ile

And January for the entire Isese folks and Yoruba nation as a whole.

The first festival done in Ife/Yoruba land before any other deity.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 10:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
Shymm3x:
What's lion in Yoruba language.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 22, 2015
9jacrip:

Starts december for awa omo ile

And January for the entire Isese folks and Yoruba nation as a whole.

The first festival done in Ife/Yoruba land before any other deity.

So its basically the most important festival in Yorubaland bah?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

So its basically the most important festival in Yorubaland bah?

The first to start the year with.

Festivals are important by lineage/initiation but all folks regard babayeye as the first and most powerful so I would say yes?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 22, 2015
9jacrip:

The first to start the year with.

Festivals are important by lineage/initiation but all folks regard babayeye as the first and most powerful so I would say yes?

One of my uncles will surely be attending the festival

He hardly misses any of the Isese festivals
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:26pm On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Shymmex,
I hear Seriake Dickson, Bayelsa Governor, said his late mother is Ijebu. Is this true?. shocked

Yep! And he is so proud of his Ijebu connection. He never misses an opportunity to attend any event in Ogun State & other parts of the South-West. cheesy

Homecoming of the ‘Countryman Governor’ | ThisDay Newspapers | 04 Apr 2014

Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Henry Dickson, made the headlines last week when he traced his roots back to Ogun State, writes Segun James

When the Bayelsa State Governor, Chief Seriake Dickson, stormed the ancient town of Ijebu Ode, the headquarters of Ijebu towns and villages, it was not only to herald his maternal affinity to the town, but also to let the people know that their son is an omoluabi. That he was expecting to be welcomed by his immediate maternal family was taken for granted. After all, the Yoruba have a saying that a child who knows how to wash his hands well would wine and dine with the elders.

It is the same Yoruba that say when a child preys on a rabbit, he eats it alone. When he kills an antelope, he hides and eats it all alone. But when he kills an elephant, it is a different ball game. He has to let not just his family, but the entire community, hence the home coming.

Today, Dickson is the governor of Bayelsa State, a position that is likened to an elephant. He has to let his family and community know. Dickson had never forgotten his kith and kin from Ijebu and has done all he could from time to relate as well as fraternise with them, hence his coming to town penultimate Saturday was expected.

However, what was not expected was that the entire Ijebu community would come out to welcome him. And so, an overwhelmed and emotional Dickson was received by a tumultuous crowd at the palace of the Awujale of Ijebuland, His Royal Majesty, Oba Sikiru Adetona. It was a day he will never forget in a hurry as the entire town stood still.

Aside the fact that their returning son was a Prince of the palace, having come from the Fidipote ruling house, the man is not the governor of Ogun State, but that of Bayelsa in faraway Niger Delta area of the country.

Dickson is a known lover of everything that is cultural. He knows the significance of traditional rulers in African tradition, even as a lawyer and politician. His passion for culture is unequalled. This manifested when he led members of his immediate family in Toru Orua in Sagbama local government area of Bayelsa State to pay homage to the Awujale. This is in accordance with another Yoruba proverb that says Odo ki’n san, k’o ma l’orisun, meaning no matter the size of a flowing river, it must have a source.

At the palace, the governor was received by the oba-in-council in Ijebu led by the Olori Omooba Akile of Ijebu, Otunba Olasubomi Balogun, the Otunbas and a host of others.

An elated Dickson could not hide his feelings when he told the gathering that he had been looking forward to the day, having been told as a young man, the kind of person that his great grandmother; Princess Adebukola Fidipote [/b]was.

“The People in my community then preferred to call her Yoruba because of their inability to pronounce her name correctly as a result of the ethnic difference. My great grandmother lived an exemplary life. [b]She was highly industrious, dutiful, transparent and to cap it all, a virtuous woman.

“Kabiyesi, I would have loved to be around during the last Ojude Oba festival, but official engagements took me out of the Country. I want to thank the people that made this historic visit possible; the Otunbas and other well meaning people of Ijebu land,” he said.

Nigeria is realistically and essentially a patrilineal society. But in some societies in the country, the matrilineal system is practised, especially in Nembe and some part of Ogbia in Bayelsa State.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/homecoming-of-the-countryman-governor-/175328/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:33pm On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Kabiyesi, you sure say i no know you??

First of all, Lagos Island is very small and it doesnt matter how over populated it is, the ancestral homes will still be there. They might rebuild but it is there. I dont think there is any family in Island....indigenes....that I dont know their compound or Iga. From Ebute Alagbafo to Ebute Elefun, from Lafiaji to Campos, from Olowogbowo back to Ebute Alagbafo....thats the entire perimeter!

Mention any hood anywhere inbetween and Ive covered it and know the families.

This is why Ibo should fear me because when my Mayorship is vestitured Ibo will be in trouble. I will deport them completely out of Nigeria...to Congo!

Even the Brazilian returnees still have their own quarters in Lagos Island. Some of my friends had their grand-parents living there, when we were growing up. e.g. the Lopez family, the da Costas, the Agusto, the da Silvas etc. Do you have any info on the late reclusive millionaire - da Rocha who was said to have owned some of the most expensive buildings in Lagos Island?? cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by angiography(m): 10:39pm On Nov 22, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
9jacrip Nice one wink

angiography I like your username grin

Lol...out of my penchance for cardiology
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 22, 2015
angiography:

Lol...out of my penchance for cardiology

Aaaah! Awon Doki Oloye niyen grin cheesy

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:43pm On Nov 22, 2015
ProfShymex:
Thanks a lot, Sir.

Insightful.

Funny enough, I always thought the Oshodis have Bini ancestry. Now I know better.

There are families named Oshodi (i.e. Oshodin in Bini) that hail from Benin and still live there till date! cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 10:45pm On Nov 22, 2015
laudate:

Even the Brazilian returnees still have their own quarters in Lagos Island. Some of my friends had their grand-parents living there, when we were growing up. e.g. the Lopez family, the da Costas, the Agusto, the da Silvas etc. Do you have any info on the late reclusive millionaire - da Rocha who was said to have owned some of the most expensive buildings in Lagos Island?? cheesy

There was a time a thread was ran on da rocha. I will look for it.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by baby124: 10:50pm On Nov 22, 2015
laudate:

There are families named Oshodi (i.e. Oshodin in Bini) that hail from Benin and still live there till date! cheesy
Oshodi's are descendants of the Nupe warrior prince. They are not bini
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:56pm On Nov 22, 2015
Katsumoto:
Me me me

I know this one. Lion is kiniun

Gorilla must be gorilla in all languages jor.

grin grin grin

At least, I know monkey is 'Edun.' cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2015
laudate:

Monkey is Obo

Gorilla is Obo Langido I think.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 11:09pm On Nov 22, 2015
baby124:

Oshodi's are descendants of the Nupe warrior prince. They are not bini

Hello, the name Oshodi in Yoruba, is the same as the family name Oshodin in Benin. I do not know if they are related, but it started out as a chieftaincy title in the old days. The current Oshodin of Benin is Chief Dan Ize-Iyamu.

Benin… A City battling with Modernity | The Nation Newspapers |

Benin City, the capital of the old Benin Kingdom and present day Edo State, is an ancient city struggling with modernity. Relics of its past glory are struggling for prominence with modernity. Mud houses are being demolished for erection of high-rise buildings and lock-up stores, reports Osagie Otabor.

It is a common practice in Benin, the Edo State capital, for the front of buildings in commercial areas to be turned into stores . Also affected are some palaces that are supposed to be historical monuments and a reminder of how lords of Benin kingdom ruled over their households.

Palaces visited are those of Ogiamien, Oshodin, Isekhere, Oliha, Ero and Obaseki. The architectural design of these palaces, its pillars, doors, walls showed the palaces were fortified against external attacks.

Located along Sokponba Road in Benin City is the palace of late Chief Izevbokun Oshodin. It is opposite the palace of Chief Nosakhare Isekhure, the Isekhure of Benin kingdom. The palace of late Oshodin lies in an expansive land. It was a palace that was once a pride to live in and it housed many.

A walk into the palace would tell a story of how late Oshodin lord it over his household. There is a courtyard where the family ancestral shrine is located and meetings are held. Its walls are meters-thick and fortified against any attack. http://thenationonlineng.net/benin-city-battling-modernity/

The former VC of university of Benin is Prof. Osayuki Godwin Oshodin. So members of that family bear the name as a surname, even though it started out as a chieftaincy title. Like I said earlier, I cannot tell if the Oshodi family in Yorubaland is related to the Oshodin of Benin. There was a lot of interaction between Benin and Lagos in the old pre-colonial days, and nobody knows if one of the sons of the late Chief Oshodi Tapa ended up moving to Benin to settle there. But it would be interesting to explore this link.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 11:10pm On Nov 22, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by baby124: 11:12pm On Nov 22, 2015
laudate:

Hello, the name Oshodi in Yoruba, is the same as the family name Oshodin in Benin. I do not know if they are related, but it started out as a chieftaincy title in the old days. The current Oshodin of Benin is

The former VC of university of Benin is Prof. Osayuki Godwin Oshodin. So members of that family bear the name as a surname, even though it started out as a chieftaincy title. Like I said earlier, I cannot tell if the Oshodi family in Yorubaland is related to the Oshodin of Benin. There was a lot of interaction between Benin and Lagos in the old pre-colonial days, and nobody knows if one of the sons of the late Chief Oshodi Tapa ended up moving to Benin to settle there. But it would be interesting to explore this link.
Ok, no need to argue. I am a lagosian and I am telling you who the descendants of the Lagos Oshodi's are. I don't know about bini.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 22, 2015
[size=15pt]Ogun to distribute 1000 C of O to another batch of Homeowners’ Charter beneficiaries[/size]

The Ogun State Head of Service, Elder Abraham Olusola Adeyemi will be presenting 1000 Certificates of Occupancy and Building Plan Approvals to the 10th batch of Homeowners’ Charter Scheme beneficiaries at the Arcade ground, State secretariat, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta on Friday 27th November, 2015 by 9.ooam prompt.

According to a release from the office of the Director-General, Bureau of Lands and Survey, beneficiaries are to come with valid means of identification and photocopy of same. They are expected to be at the venue by 8.00am for accreditation.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:20pm On Nov 22, 2015
MayorofLagos Gboborun gboro thursday grin grin cheesy Alie?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 11:22pm On Nov 22, 2015
laudate:

Isn't monkey Obo?

chic2pimp:

Kats na here you come dey now abi? Nah which mini skirt madame you chase come here? wink grin

But this was/is my main section. I only visited the Football section in parts but quickly tired of it.

Mini skirt madame! ! ! Not all chaps here chase ladies. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.