Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (329) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (666869 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:09pm On Nov 26, 2015
tpiadotcom:

So what should I do with it?

Learn from it!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 26, 2015
[size=16pt]School produces best NECO results in Lagos, Ogun[/size]

•Learn Africa rewards 111 candidates

It was double honour for Isolog Group of Schools as two of its former pupils were presented with the Learn Africa-NECO awards for recording the best performance in the 2015 Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) conducted by the National Examinations Council (NECO) last Tuesday.

With five A1 and four B2, Justin Nwaoha of Isolog College, Ojodu, had the best result in the examination in Lagos State; while Taofeek Adelaja, who sat for the examination at Isolog College, Alagbole, Akute, had three A1 and five Bs – the best result in Ogun State.

The award programme, which was to reward the top three candidates at the state category held at the Head Office of Learn Africa Plc in Ikeja, Lagos State.

Justin, who also had the best result in the May/June 2015 West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE) in Lagos State, is the second overall best in the NECO SSCE nationwide and would be rewarded at the national category award to be hosted by Learn Africa on December 2 at the Protea Hotel, Ikeja.

The 17-year old, who has been admitted to study Medicine at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), attributed his feat to God and hard work.

“I knew that it is just by God’s grace. For other students I will say it is hard work and also prayers because God crowns efforts with success,” he said.

Group Administrator, Isolog Schools, Mr Kehinde Olowe, said the school was delighted to achieve such feat, attributing it to a reward from the Almighty for the investments they made to achieve quality education delivery.

“Starting from the quality of teachers that we have; we have not compromised on that at all. And the facilities in school are such that a very ready student to learn will find it comfortable to learn and do well. And we have not been disappointed from our performances,” he said.

Olowe said the results were achieved without recourse to examination malpractice.

Taofeek’s mother, Mrs Monsurat Bolatito Adelaja, attested to the school’s focus on integrity and hard work.

“You know they are Deeper Life; they don’t teach people in the examination. What they do is that they will train them before the examinations. Parents used to complain. Me, I used to say that ‘this is too much.’ They would resume by 7am and close by 5. Sometimes this boy would not sleep before 2am. He will say Mummy wake me up by 3, I will not wake him until maybe around five because I will be afraid so there won’t be any problem,” she said.

Taofeek was nicknamed Sleeping Handsome in school because he used to sleep during classes as a result of late night studies. The 16-year-old who has already been admitted to study Chemical Engineering at UNILAG, praised the school for its efforts on the pupils.

“The school is known for honesty. During examinations external subject teachers are not allowed close to the hall. Our director really detests cheating,” he said.

Justin and Taofeek got N40,000 each and certificates for their efforts. Second placed Folorunsho Temitope from Ota Total Academy, Ogun State; and Kenechukwu Okuze of Apostolic Faith Secondary School, Anthony, Lagos State, were rewarded with N30,000 each; while third placed Paul Ofili of Jextoban Secondary School, Ketu, Lagos, got N20,000.

Teachers that produced the best candidates in each state were also rewarded with N40,000 each.

The teachers’ prizes for Lagos and Ogun went to Isolog Schools teachers, Mrs Ena Kpagban, who teaches English; and Mr Stephen Adekunbi, who teaches Chemistry.

Managing Director, Learn Africa Plc, Mr Segun Oladipo said in his speech that the awards were instituted to encourage excellence.

“They were instituted to underscore the significant role that excellence in education can play in achieving our national goals and aspirations. We trust that the awards will encourage strong commitment to learning, celebrate diligent scholarship and healthy rivalry among students,” he said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/school-produces-best-neco-results-in-lagos-ogun/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 26, 2015
[size=16pt]Ogun development needs support of all – Commissioner[/size]

The Ogun State Policies and programmes initiated by Senator Ibikunle Amosun-led administration cannot be shouldered alone by the Government, hence the need for corporate organisations, associations and personalities in the State to contribute their quota towards actualizing the goals and objectives.

The State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Chief Adedayo Adeneye stated this while receiving members of Ogun Indigenes Entertainment Professional Forum who paid him a courtesy call in his office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.

Adeneye, in a statement signed by his Press Officer, Mr Temitayo Taylor, said Government had expended so much in rebuilding some of the comatose sectors in the State especially in its five cardinal programmes since assumption of office on May 29, 2011, adding that the goals and aspirations of the Government can be fully actualized if all and sundry contribute their quota toward moving the State to greater height.

“We are all a living witness of the development the State has recorded so far in Education, Health, Agricultural sectors, Infrastructure, Security, Housing and Employment Generation but a lot still need to be done and that is why the support and gesture of well-meaning individuals, groups and associations is required so as to collectively make Ogun State an envy of all.” He said.

The Commissioner however appreciated the team’s congratulatory visit while counting on their support in the discharge at his duties as Commissioner for Information and Strategy.

Earlier in his remarks, the Secretary, Ogun Indigenes Entertainment Professionals Forum, Mr. Kehinde Soaga congratulated the Commissioner on his appointment and by extension an ambassador of the forum.

“We are using this medium do express our intention to cooperate with the State Government just as we have been doing before now” Soaga said.

Also speaking, the Governor, Federation Independent Broadcaster Association of Nigeria (FIBAN) Mr. Akinyemi Olatoye assured the Commissioner of his team willingness to support the State Government programmes and policies.

http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstagenew/index.php?active=news&newscid=26223&catid=28

Stuntingblack,Shymm3x and Onreflection. There's so much happening in your state
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 9:19pm On Nov 26, 2015
WIZGUY69:

Learn from it!

Learn what?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 26, 2015
[size=16pt]State Police: A way out?[/size]

FOR a long time, the debate has raged on whether a central Police force, commanded by federal authorities from the nation’s capital is good for the country. There have been many arguments both for and against whether states of the federation should have their own Police organizations.

The most recent, strident argument in favour of state Police came from the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Raji Fashola, during a presentation he made in the Senate while he was being screened after nomination by the President as a minister. The most cogent aspect of his argument is that the first business of government is to secure its citizens and their living space, without which the pursuit of life and living will be imperilled and near-impossible.

Similarly, Professor Ladipo Adamolekun, who formerly taught at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, believes that time for states to have their own Police Forces is long overdue. In a recent conversation, Adamolekun said:

“There are elements in our federal system that we have gotten wrong which we are not doing anything about. For instance, I am a strong believer in state police. State police is essential because state police will employ people who are familiar with the area which is what we in essence call community policing.

[size=13pt]Community policing[/size]

“The community policing which is happening in Abuja is nonsensical because you can’t from Abuja do community policing, it can only be done in Ondo State from Akure, in Ekiti State from Ado-Ekiti, in Ogun State from Abeokuta.

You get the whole point; the misuse of local government police or whatever they were talking about, regional police should not lead us to avoiding a reality like the example you have given – all the kidnapping and the armed robbery in the different states should be the business of the governors. But the governors don’t have any control over the police.”

Adamolekun is not alone, as Pastor Chris Omeben, a retired Deputy Inspector-General of Police said: “I whole heartedly support the creation of state police for the very simple reason that it will check the incessant cases of abuse by policemen and the high and mighty in society. Before, we had local, state police in the Eastern Region, the old Bendel State part of which is now Edo State, the Western Region and even the Northern Region and they did wonderful jobs.”

He anchored his position on the successes recorded by local security outfits and also the fact that the Police lacked sufficient manpower and equipment to be able to handle the challenges of law enforcement and crime control effectively. He said time was when the police could make do with 40,000 men to carry out its responsibilities.

He added that population explosion and the introduction of sophisticated means of committing crimes by crooks entail a corresponding improvement in the security response to this, including the handling of an increasing population of the Force.

It was against this backdrop that he quipped: “But what is the current situation of the Police? The population of the force is now over 200,000. How do you expect 200,000 people to be handled the same way 40,000 were handled? It is not possible.

“I believe that every state should own a police and also have a Commissioner of Police, and we shall also have the Federal Police who will have an Inspector-General who will take care of standards. All the forces must have the same standard and uniform all over the states but with the highest person in the state being a Commissioner of Police. The Federal Police should handle federal cases or matters which are above the state power”.

Funding and equipment: State Police or Federal, the issue of funding is a critical one which has left the Police in dire straits, and by extension, made the general society insecure. The contentious issue of police equipment and funding was succinctly captured in Benjamin Okereke Brownson’s research report.

[size=13pt]Research report[/size]

According to the report: “Successive Inspectors General of Police in the country have consistently complained of inadequate funding.”

It quoted a former Inspector-General, Aliyu Attah, as saying that “over the years, the problem of under-funding and under establishment of the force has culminated in a situation whereby the police are unable to cope with routine responsibilities, hence the justification for such ad hoc measures as represented by the phenomenon of Operation Sweep.”

On the challenges facing his men, a former Assistant Inspector General, in charge of the zone, Mr. Muktar Alkali, spoke of the need to pay salaries of officers and men promptly.

According to him: ‘Stationery, police books, forms and records are in acute short supply, paving way for members of the force to source these (necessary) materials from civilians who hawk these supposed classified materials. This area if looked into would help reduce corruption, enhance the efficiency of personnel and early dispensation of criminal cases.

“Undoubtedly… various police stations perform their duties in their respective spheres. It seems, however, that some of these stations are sometimes handicapped when it comes to discharging their duties. It is noticed that some of the factors that contribute to such handicaps are:

-Lack of scientific equipment for detecting crime
-Shortage of manpower
-Military intervention in government.”

The report also went on to say: “Majority of Nigerians believe that one of the biggest problems confronting the Nigerian Police Force…is that of lack of equipment occasioned by inadequate funding. Although over the years budgetary allocations to the police have increased, this has failed to match the clear needs of the Police. A visit to any police station will reveal the magnitude of the problem.

“From such basic things as buildings, office space within the building, furniture down to even uniforms and kits, the Nigeria Police Force appear ill-equipped for its tasks. It is a different matter altogether when the consideration shifts to patrol vehicles, communication facilities and computers.

“Many police stations cannot even boast of a telephone. Apart from inadequacy, the police lack the modern weapons needed to combat violent crimes, such that very often, criminals boast of superior weapons.”

It is commonplace for the police to frequently decline to respond to distress calls on the grounds that there are not funds or that there are no vehicles to convey them to the scene of crime.”

Way forward: But in spite of the current population of the NPF, Mike Okiro, the Chairman, Police Service Commission, says the Force has a shortfall of 20,000 personnel as at 2015, adding that he had briefed President Muhammadu Buhari on the situation.

“We briefed the president on the needs and challenges the organization is facing. We briefed him on the successes recorded so far, we briefed him on how things are to be done to ensure that the security of Nigeria is maintained and all are assured.

”We talked about recruitment of police officers. Over the years, more than 21,000 police officers have retired, some dismissed, some died between 2010 and today. Of this number, only about 1,605 have been replaced, giving a deficit of a very large number.”

[size=16pt]WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THIS?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Seun(m): 9:27pm On Nov 26, 2015
I've noticed that CabbieAC is really trying to make the thread political.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 26, 2015
[size=16pt]Federal Polytechnic Ile-Oluji To Commence Activities In 2016[/size]

Newly established Federal Polytechnic Ile-Oluji, Ondo State will Commence academic activities in 2016.
The Director of Physical Planning of the polytechnic, Mr. Oyetunde Oyelola disclosed this in a chat with our correspondent on Wednesday in Ile-Oluji.

Mr. Oyetunde Oyelola said the management team of the Institution led by Rector, Professor Adedayo Fasakin is working round to ensure NBTE accredit all their courses before commencement of academic activities.
He noted the polytechnic will start with engineering courses.

Meanwhile,Ondo State government has released one of its newly completed mega primary schools in the state, St James School, Ile-Oluji to the management of Federal Polytechnic Ile-Oluji as the temporary site of the polytechnic, pending the completion of its permanent site.
Governor Mimiko said the decision to convert the Mega school to the Polytechnic’s temporary site was taken by the State government to meet
the accreditation criteria and take-off time of academic activities at the institution.

http://expressng.com/2015/11/federal-polytechnic-ile-oluji-to-commence-activities-in-2016/

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 26, 2015
Seun:
I've noticed that CabbieAC is really trying to make the thread political.

It has always been a mixture of everything.

That's why we call it commonwealth.All things Yoruba from politics to culture, history, development,success stories e.t.c

You probably haven't been following the thread.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 26, 2015
This is a political thread. Why was it dumped here, into obsurity ?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 26, 2015
3rd time n d boss comment with no changes lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Seun(m): 9:40pm On Nov 26, 2015
CabbieAC:
It has always been a mixture of everything.

That's why we call it commonwealth.All things Yoruba from politics to culture, history, development e.t.c
Exactly. Based on how the forum is organized, this is where it's meant to be. So pls accept my decision to place it here to prevent bans.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by CHRISTALLITE: 9:56pm On Nov 26, 2015
I was given admission at University of Ilorin to
study B.Sc Geology,however.
I don't have the means to pay the tutition fees plus mandated tablet,which is totally sixty three thousand (63,000)naira.It is already deadline of school fees
payment!
However,there they recently provide room for late tuition fee payment,with Five(5) days countdown to be due.It will be due on 30th,November,2015.
Ejo Ema jeki
n
forfeit admission yii! Please do help me out!
This will be my second consecutive admission
forfeited by no money. Please help me out! Do
not let me forfeit this admission! Please do
come to my aid!
Please. Acct name:Afolabibi Yinka Oluwatosin
acct no: 3047353656 (first bank)
Savings Account.
Please time runs....out!
Please kindly help me out.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by uniklinkum(m): 10:03pm On Nov 26, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/1930337/anambra-statelight-nationeconomic-political-power/472

the only reason why the above thread can stay on politics section and ours deserve the Hades, is because we gat an irrational, feather brained idiot that only use his left hand to describe his father house. how much more can the definition of an omo ale goes than what this nincompoop is acting out.

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 26, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by CHRISTALLITE: 10:14pm On Nov 26, 2015
CHRISTALLITE:
I was given admission at University of Ilorin to
study B.Sc Geology,however.
I don't have the means to pay the tutition fees plus mandated tablet,which is totally sixty three thousand (63,000)naira.It is already deadline of school fees
payment!
However,there they recently provide room for late tuition fee payment,with Five(5) days countdown to be due.It will be due on 30th,November,2015.
Ejo Ema jeki
n
forfeit admission yii! Please do help me out!
This will be my second consecutive admission
forfeited by no money. Please help me out! Do
not let me forfeit this admission! Please do
come to my aid!
Please. Acct name:
acct no: 3047353656 (first bank)
Savings Account.
Please time runs....out!
Please kindly help me out.
Username I.D(Jamb Reg No):
Password:
University Website: www.uilugportal.unilorin.edu.ng/login.php
Please come to my aid.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by CHRISTALLITE: 10:33pm On Nov 26, 2015
Someone please help me,I have no means. Please anyone.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Aminat508(f): 10:35pm On Nov 26, 2015
shocked why nah
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 10:49pm On Nov 26, 2015
well, nobody wants to say it, so I will.

It's my fault, just put the blame on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynMk2EwRi4Q
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by bukster(f): 10:50pm On Nov 26, 2015
I was looking for this thread and it took me so long to find. I don't usually post but I enjoy reading the discussions here.
Why was this moved to the culture section when it has politics in the title
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 26, 2015
so sad...but if it was me I would have just created another thread in politics and started over from scratch tongue....CabbieAC imagine dipo/dawn being at the mercy of these mods lol cheesy..nope...guys reach out to them.Bad mind would have me spam the damn forum like them ipob youths if I was Yoruba lol
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Handsomeemmy(m): 11:07pm On Nov 26, 2015
Wait people, I didn't see anything or article referring to Kwara state, are we not part of the yoruba commonwealth ni? All I see is Ondo Ekiti, Osun , Ogun ,Oyo and Lagos
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 11:09pm On Nov 26, 2015
bukster:
I was looking for this thread and it took me so long to find. I don't usually post but I enjoy reading the discussions here.
Why was this moved to the culture section when it has politics in the title

if a simple thing like location of a thread throws everyone on it off balance, then one has to wonder why where it is is so important to said posters?

who is checking politics section who will refuse to check culture section? All you have to do is tell the person/s to check for it in whichever section it is.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 11:10pm On Nov 26, 2015
Spicygal:
I have been a Guest on Nairaland over over a year but had to just sign up because of this.

right.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:14pm On Nov 26, 2015
i don't think there's much changes moving this thread to culture section for those that have been active on this thread, or those that have commented here.

The only bane is for new comers.

we can always follow this thread by clicking on "followed topic", then scroll to click this thread that's all.

it's a known fact that Mr. Seun is money/traffic conscious with this site, that's why he always leave thread/matters of national security on most sections FP. but what will help every individual and the nation at large is a taboo to him and his mod. little wonder one will see about 15 bi ass fran thread on politics FP every day all in the name of traffic. which isn't suppose to be so.

I miss the good old days though.

if you don't amend your loop holes Mr Seun, honestly you will pay for it.

This is a Forum not a blog, that's why sile12 deactivated his account.
This not isn't educative anymore, rather it makes one become a tribalist and hate filled.

mcheeeew.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 11:17pm On Nov 26, 2015
Handsomeemmy:
Wait people, I didn't see anything or article referring to Kwara state, are we not part of the yoruba commonwealth ni? All I see is Ondo Ekiti, Osun , Ogun ,Oyo and Lagos

Read very well. We have had this discussion.

You are to represent your state and post whatever you think needs to be posted here and we will discuss.

(1) (2) (3) ... (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) (332) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.