Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... (46623 Views)

4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade / Man Who Graduated With First Class From UK University Cries Out For Job. Photos / Are You A Graduate With Second Class Or Hnd Ceriificate...here Is My Mail.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 24, 2015
kunbit:

Institution matters to some companies o, some will tell you only federal universities e.g Access bank graduate trainee accepts only federal universities with exception of 3 state unis and 3 private unis

Lolz that's serious issue...
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 24, 2015
hyperflex:

They don't want older guys so u don't use their money to do wedding after they employ you. Lool. Its not funny sha. My brethren entrepreneurship is the way forward

You kept me laughing so loud.... Hmm did I hear u say wedding? Really funny my brother

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by ajasa4link: 1:14pm On Oct 24, 2015
@Op What u need to understand is people are getting jobs every now and then. While people are sitting at home complaining after a reject based on their grade, others are not resting on their oars forging ahead applying, applying and applying till they get an opportunity to prove themselves which they make good.

You see, what graduating with 1st class or 2:1 in the labour market means is that u as a 2:1 or first class graduate will get more opportunities than 2.2 graduates, but at the end what matters is whether u make good the tonnes of opportunities that comes ur way or the 2.2 graduates makes good the little opportunities that comes his way better than u did to ur tonnes of opportunity.
So my advise is for u to repackage ur cv, don't include ur cgpa in it cos it will definitely put off employers who have bias against 2.2 graduates. Let them give u the invite first and when u get there, prove ur worth make them feel if they don't employ u it's their loss.

As for the people always having the notion that 2.1 graduates are not always the best for the job and what have u, the truth is employers are aware there are a lot of challenges students face in the Nigerian University system, but they believe for u to have climb those hurdles and come up with a 2.1, it shows u are dedicated, intelligent, u can multi-task, u are focused, a goal oriented individual who can always get job done. And sincerely I agree with this, just that some 2.2 graduates also have the same qualities, just that they ended up with the grade due to situations beyond their control.

As for those bad mouthing 2.1 and 1st class graduates of private University, I think they really need to stop the nonsense. I graduated from a state University and was always thinking naturally am ahead of my private University counterparts, but alas I was wrong. At KPMG's assessment centre my orientation changed. Imagine u are in a room with only 2.1 and first class graduates and u know know u all have equal chances. I was thinking having two ladies from two different private universities will make things easy as they don't offer much competition, but when we all started talking I was left dazzled at how sound, articulate and intelligent they both are. I mean seeing someone who has a degree in engineering, biochemistry discussing auditing, accounting, mgt sciences stuff like it's latest fashion item.
Since then I've refused to look down on a graduate worth his onions from a private University

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 1:45pm On Oct 24, 2015
@ajasa very good write up I must confess. All point stated here are noted!!
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by oparae: 2:09pm On Oct 24, 2015
iujbjbikinknknlkmojoijkmlmk
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 24, 2015
oparae:
iujbjbikinknknlkmojoijkmlmk
Please what's the meaning of this post? Is it a kind of laughter or what?
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by YOUNGKAHUNA: 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2015
It is well. My story shall change soonest
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by eojepa: 6:58pm On Oct 24, 2015
guy i get 2nd class for Almighty physics but i don apply tire. all i get is either u are over aged(26) or who do u know here. i simply abandoned my cv and am teaching in a primary school

2 Likes

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by jazinogold(m): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2015
even 2.1 never get job!
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by dayhawk(m): 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2015
she is popularly know as the 'million dollar face'

vote lynda umeh ( lets make her the cutest girl in africa )
come out for your country

http://www.silverbirdmbgn.com/contestant/2015/lynda-umeh
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Roseey0(f): 7:53pm On Oct 24, 2015
Where is that spiral binding guy.
It's no longer packaging o , grades package your CV too.
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by kingsleyugo41(m): 8:08pm On Oct 24, 2015
Jagabanthelion:
Enough of this 2.2 rubbish. If uve got a 2.2 and u are not confident enough of yourself,then go into your room,lock yourself up and cry at least 5hours per day till u regain your confidence. A firm denied u an opportunity because of your grade,dat now means everybody with d same grade shd join u and cry? Do u know how many 2.2s I know are gainfully employed and doing well,driving jeeps,without using connections to get the job? I also know many 2.1s tired of staying at home jobless. I know some big companies who only ask for your certificate after handing u their offer letter. They just document it. Notore Petrochemicals is an example. I will advise u to takeout the 2.2grade from your CV,so that u can bypass those coys who disqualify people at d sight of 2.2. Just put "Second class honours" its enough. If u are called for test,go there n prove your mettle. Apart frm Shell,Chevron,(d very top players),bakerhughes,halliburton etc and some Dragnet organised tests that insist on 2.1,most coys accept 2.2,provided u do well in their tests n interviews. Start small,get d experience n apply for any experienced position with your 2.2,n get to see yourself at d top. Its just time that distinguishes grades. Experienced jobs don't ask for 2.1 or 2.2,research it yourself. Get over d stigma u have placed on yourself and get busy. Apply for all jobs,in your field and let the company decide if u are eligible or not. Dnt disqualify yourself by yourself.Its not your duty,but that of the company. Peace.
please how can i apply for Notore and their location?
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2015
eojepa:
guy i get 2nd class for Almighty physics but i don apply tire. all i get is either u are over aged(26) or who do u know here. i simply abandoned my cv and am teaching in a primary school

Lolz I love the way u hyped ur course "Almighty Physics".... Atleast u started some where soon u will get something Big I believe..
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2015
Roseey0:
Where is that spiral binding guy.
It's no longer packaging o , grades package your CV too.

Hmmm lolz as we all know that in Nigeria packaging goes a long way....yeah u are right about grades packaging one's C.V too
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 24, 2015
jazinogold:
even 2.1 never get job!

Bros I laughed in chinese.... So is it a queue thing now? Omo forget that thing all is just by God's Grace nd Favor!!
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by roblance: 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2015
Funny thread. As the last poster said, everything is by Gods grace.

I graduated from a federal university with 2:1 since 2012, age 23. Till now na brain I dy use survive, no job coupled with the fact that i hate Lagos and Abuja stress. So abeg think think think, something will come out. Bless you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2015
@roblance God bless your hustle bro!! And that brain won't run MAD or Empty...
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Sholaystar4me(m): 12:03am On Oct 25, 2015
I dont know why we all are lamenting, there are little to no jobs at all, even those that have gotten are being laid off every now and then. Almost all coys are now hiring cheap labours or contract staffs (1st class or whatever), must we be so cheap, I mean why even working hard for something we would never own at the end. Why not create our own systems, it's some people that created the ones we all are looking for but I tell u, it's no more, let's blaze new tracks for ourselves and the next generation.
Just thinking out loud

Truly,
Victory is from God alone.
God Bless Nigerian Youths.
#sholaHECKScares

4 Likes

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Sholaystar4me(m): 12:28am On Oct 25, 2015
And if u still need a job I think it will only make sense if u can open and read this https://www.nairaland.com/2688427/what-every-nigerian-graduate-should

U might find valuel(s) in it.

Truly,
God Bless Nigerian Youth.
#sholaHECKScares
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 5:13am On Oct 25, 2015
Sholaystar4me:
I dont know why we all are lamenting, there are little to no jobs at all, even those that have gotten are being laid off every now and then. Almost all coys are now hiring cheap labours or contract staffs (1st class or whatever), must we be so cheap, I mean why even working hard for something we would never own at the end. Why not create our own systems, it's some people that created the ones we all are looking for but I tell u, it's no more, let's blaze new tracks for ourselves and the next generation.
Just thinking out loud

Truly,
God Bless Nigerian Youths.
#sholaHECKScares

Nice one bro..... Entrepreneurs are made####
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by SkinnyDude(m): 6:40am On Oct 25, 2015
Tbliss12:
Its so pathetic and demoralizing that we leave in a country where certificate is the most sort after by our indigenous firms and even foreign firms. I sat down after going through NYSC and My parents are already looking at me in 3D as regards what's next.

I submitted my spiral bind C.V but the Secretary of that firm quickly glanced through my details but was disappointed to see 2:2 (3.32 CGPA) which stated in it and told me straight-up that I shouldn't be expecting a call!! I was pissed off, do u mean 3.32 CGPA is a poor result? I just went out and up till now after 3month no call from them.

The question is where are we going in this country? Two(2) factors all companies display while placing recruitment adverts; Your Age (24yrs nd below) and supposed good grade (1st class or 2:1). Now tell me are graduates with 2:2 really that lazy while in school? The Answer is simply 'NO' so many factors are really involved, I've seen a brilliant guy in school who felt sick on the day of his set last papers which sucked his GP heavily.

If you've got your 1st class or 2:1 and you are gainfully employed in a cool company with good pay lucky you and I wish you all the best, for those still looking out for a good job the lord shall answer "OUR" prayers but doing something with your saved Allawee is not a bad idea anyway!!

Happy Weekend!!

Tbliss12

bro but i thought anything up to or above 3.00 is 2.1
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by ajasa4link: 7:23am On Oct 25, 2015
SkinnyDude:
2.1 is from 3.50 to 4.49 on a 5.00 scale
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 25, 2015
SkinnyDude:

Lolz
2:2 is 2.5 to 3.49

2:1 is 3.5 to 4.49

1st Class is 4.5 to 5.0
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by SkinnyDude(m): 7:49am On Oct 25, 2015
Tbliss12:

Lolz
2:2 is 2.5 to 3.49

2:1 is 3.5 to 4.49

1st Class is 4.5 to 5.0
but in poly, it starts from 3.00.. anyway, our result came out, i got up to 3.50. am in poly
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by SkinnyDude(m): 7:56am On Oct 25, 2015
ajasa4link:
2.1 is from 3.50 to 4.49 on a 5.00 scale
it ain't easy, man....
Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by wildchild1: 8:03am On Oct 25, 2015
True talk but then what's the hope for other lower divisions?

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by emmahoney(m): 8:08am On Oct 25, 2015
Does first class/second class upper grade guarantee job these days? Oh!! no. I was the best graduating student in my department (2.1) and was also the president of my departmental association. With all these achievements, I was @ home for one complete year after my NYSC before and later went for my masters degree. I recently finished my masters degree with a very strong Ph.D. grade and yet am still searching for job!! What would you say to that? It is obvious that the job market is supersaturated. For your information, during my M.Sc., I met first class graduates who are in my shoes!! Additionally, some of my collegues who made either second class lower/ third class got some withing 1-3months after NYSC. You were not called back because you do not know somebody that knows somebody.

1 Like

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by EmekaBlue(m): 8:08am On Oct 25, 2015
y u hv to arrange ur games well and play betting so u can get enuf money to establish oneself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... by ednut1(m): 8:09am On Oct 25, 2015
This is an example of necessary evil. When u establish ur coy u wud know how it feels. Imagine putting up an advert for 5 positions and 50k pple apply. How will u shortlist them all? They den use grade and age to bring it down to like 12k which is still much for them to handle, recruitment cost alot of time and money. Even in UK they have started the 2.1 parols. Tough times abi na end times self

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

5 Smart Things Unemployed Graduates Can Do To Survive In Nigeria / Should I Leave My Job And Japa To The UK / 18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.