Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na (1586 Views)

Ibo Or Igbo? What’s The Difference? / IGBO What Does This Name Mean / IGBO What Does Onye Akpu Obi Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 1:15pm On Oct 25, 2015
Hi so I was listening to Dede one day's comedy videos and he says that a lot. I don't really know what this means but he uses it around stuff he's trying to stress . Igbos please help me!
Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by chymystique(f): 1:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
"Because Of"

3 Likes

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 25, 2015
op are u not igbo undecided
i dont get it
u listening to dede one day means u understand igbo very well undecided
how come u dont kno d meaning? undecided
im just asking

2 Likes

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 25, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:
i dont get it
im just asking

My brother, I tireoo.
Imagine listening to Obama speaks but don't know the meaning of because of

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Phut(f): 4:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
adeitoro:

My brother, I tireoo.

Learning should never be discouraged. He may only know "maka" as because. After all there are differences from dialect to dialect

7 Likes

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by bigfrancis21: 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
Joshuaiwe:
Hi so I was listening to Dede one day's comedy videos and he says that a lot. I don't really know what this means but he uses it around stuff he's trying to stress . Igbos please help me!

'N'ihi na' is used to buttress a point or give further explanation to an earlier spoken statement. It simply means, 'because of'. Mainstream Anambra would say, 'n'ifi na'. A synonym for it in Igbo is, 'maka na'.

Sample examples would be:

Onye a biana afia taa, n'ifi na afia a diro taata.

Onye a kpana nwa agu aka n'odu, maka na nna ya nwelu ike ino nso.

Maka ifi gi ka m jili biaba olu taata.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:
i dont get it
im just asking
I don't get it because i've never heard it before and that's why I don't know the meaning.

It's exactly like Phut described it. I've only heard maka for because.

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 7:17pm On Oct 25, 2015
chymystique:
"Because Of"

Thannks

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 7:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
adeitoro:

My brother, I tireoo.
I don't understand your comment
Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 7:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
bigfrancis21:

'N'ihi na' is used to buttress a point or give further explanation to an earlier spoken statement. It simply means, 'because of'. Mainstream Anambra would say, 'n'ifi na'. A synonym for it in Igbo is, 'maka na'.

Onye a biana afia taa, n'ifi na afia a diro taata.

Onye a kpana nwa agu aka n'odu, maka na nna ya nwelu ike ino nso.

Maka ifi gi ka m jili biaba olu taata.

Thank you for your comment and I understand it Now! and just to make sure I understood what I read could you please rewrite ur Igbo sentences in standard Igbo (izugbe) or English If you're not use to that

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 7:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
Phut:

Learning should never be discouraged. He may only know "maka" as because. After all there are differences from dialect to dialect
Thank you! That's exactly the case i used context clues to understand the sentence when I heard it used but I wanted some one to directly tell me what it is
Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Phut(f): 7:40pm On Oct 25, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

Thank you! That's exactly the case i used context clues to understand the sentence when I heard it used but I wanted some one to directly tell me what it is
Biko, ask away. There will always be people willing to answer. Plus I am sure others (not just you) have learnt from this thread

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 25, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

I don't get it because i've never heard it before and that's why I don't know the meaning.

It's exactly like Phut described it. I've only heard maka for because.

ok
Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by musicwriter(m): 11:44pm On Oct 25, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

"Because" or "Because of" (depending on the context).

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by bigfrancis21: 2:29am On Oct 26, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

Thank you for your comment and I understand it Now! and just to make sure I understood what I read could you please rewrite ur Igbo sentences in standard Igbo (izugbe) or English If you're not use to that

Onye a biana afia taa, n'ifi na afia a diro taata. Nobody should come to the market today because there is no market today.

Onye a kpana nwa agu aka n'odu, maka na nna ya nwelu ike ino nso. Nobody should touch the tail of a tiger's cub because its father could be close by.

Maka ifi gi ka m jili biaba olu taata.[/quote] Because of you I came to work today. (Literal translation. A proper translation in English would be, I came to work today because of you. Or M bialu olu taata maka ifi gi.)

1 Like

Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 3:32am On Oct 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Onye a biana afia taa, n'ifi na afia a diro taata. Nobody should come to the market today because there is no market today.

Onye a kpana nwa agu aka n'odu, maka na nna ya nwelu ike ino nso. Nobody should touch the tail of a tiger's cub because its father could be close by.

Maka ifi gi ka m jili biaba olu taata. Because of you I came to work today. (Literal translation. A proper translation in English would be, I came to work today because of you. Or M bialu olu taata maka ifi gi.)

Ooh you were using a negative command I thought u were using perfect tense. But thank you!
So from my observation could u use n'ihi when I want to say for the sake of something
Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by Joshuaiwe: 3:33am On Oct 27, 2015
musicwriter:

"Because" or "Because of" (depending on the context).

The way Dede uses it sounds like he's saying for the sake of
Re: Igbo:what Is N'ihi Na by musicwriter(m): 6:05am On Oct 27, 2015
Joshuaiwe:

The way Dede uses it sounds like he's saying for the sake of

For the sake of, is just another way of saying it. Just a related word (synonym). But, it doesn't mean something else.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Old School: How Many Of You Knows/remembers This Stuffs / The Town In China Where Eggs Are Boiled Using Urine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.