Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. (4354 Views)

Produce A Sura Like It? / He Left Islam Because Of This Ayah (verse) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Empiree: 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2015
usermane:

Pls, if returning the soul to the body is a metaphor, kindly explain what this metaphor mean. You should rather explain the Hadith I cited and the first Hadith the OP cited before accussing me being overly literal.

At least when you sleep with nightmares, your soul is not in your body during the nightmare. And the body is living, not dead. But the Hadith imply that the soul is within the body during torture in the grave.

PS: I think you sound disrespectful at the end of your post. Who the hell do think you are addressing like that? You have no idea who I am!
I'm sorry you are offended. I do not see anything offensive in my last post. Perhaps, you are referring to "you don't understand quran at all"?. I don't know how's that offensive.

Anyways, some of the ahadith are not necessarily accurate and I don't like dwelling on that to much. Sometimes we misunderstood them. Sometimes they are not properly narrated. As far as I'm concerned, i deal a lot more studying epistemology of Quran and hadith. There are definitely things that are not accurate when it comes to some narrations. You however really off. But If you think a person is sleeping in the grave and remains there until judgements Day, that's your prerogative. Just wait your turn.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 27, 2015
They will be thrown in fire in the morning and in the evening and when Qiyamat will occur (it will be ordered) “Inflict the severest punishment on Aale Firon.”{suratul ghafir:46} @usermane, this verse gives an insight of barzakh. Notice the underlined, it implies the morning and evening sufferings will happen(in barzakh) before Qiyamat unlike what you were trying to establish that the grave, which is infact a gate to barzakh will be a resting place, and Allah knows best. salam!
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by AlBaqir(m): 4:34pm On Oct 27, 2015
@Username, it actually become headache since you don't believe in ahadith to give additional information on Quranic subject. All the issues you raised are discussed in detailed on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/2075840/what-happens-soul-dead-person

Peace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Aminat508(f): 4:38pm On Oct 27, 2015
AlBaqir:
@Username, it actually become headache since you don't believe in ahadith to give additional information on Quranic subject. All the issues you raised are discussed in detailed on this thread:

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Empiree: 4:52pm On Oct 27, 2015
AlBaqir:

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Empiree: 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2015
May Allah bless all muslims

May Allah forgive all muslims

May Allah shower His infinite Mercy on all Muslims

May Allah's Peace and Blessings be on our shuyuk and Imams of past and present

May Allah guide usermane and us and give us hikma and understanding of religion of Al-islam

May the Blessings and Peace of Allah be upon our master, father of Fatima, father of Qasim, Muhammad ibn Abdullah and his entire household.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2015
AlBaqir:

Peace.

I checked the thread but i didn't see much aside Qur'an 23:100 which states a barrier will be placed between the soul and the body. This barrier is more of a block that barrs the soul from returning back to earth, not another world entirely.

Quran 23:100:
That I might do righteousness in that which I left behind." No! It is only a word he is saying; and behind them is a barrier(barzakh) until the Day they are resurrected.

The Barzakh will be BEHIND the soul, the verse didn't state the soul will be WITHIN it. Hence Barzakh, the Barzakh rather a block, not a universe.

As for the two deaths and two lives mentioned in Qur'an 40:11, I am still doing my homework. Even if we concede that the second life is Barzakh, where is the indication that souls are enduring retribution here and their corpse in the grave feels this as well?

Other than this, the thread you referred me offered mere fatwas of scholars and at best tafsir. See, you are not doing me a favor by responding to my post or presenting the evidences I demand. You are doing it for yourself and those liking your post.

Peace!
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 6:02pm On Oct 27, 2015
lexiconkabir:
They will be thrown in fire in the morning and in the evening and when Qiyamat will occur (it will be ordered) “Inflict the severest punishment on Aale Firon.”{suratul ghafir:46} @usermane, this verse gives an insight of barzakh. Notice the underlined, it implies the morning and evening sufferings will happen(in barzakh) before Qiyamat unlike what you were trying to establish that the grave, which is infact a gate to barzakh will be a resting place, and Allah knows best. salam!

There is a context which cannot be ignored. Who are 'they' in this verse, all disbelievers or the men of Pharoah?

UPDATE:

Pls check your translation of the verse, if you don't understand Arabic, avoid leaning on one translation. Here is the right translation:

The Fire, they are exposed to it morning and evening. And the Day the Hour appears [it will be said], "Make the people of Pharaoh enter the severest punishment."

They are not thrown into the fire, they are exposed to it at first. Only after the Hour will they enter it as the verse concludes.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 27, 2015
usermane:

There is a context which cannot be ignored. Who are 'they' in this verse, all disbelievers or the men of Pharoah?
does this matter? the main point here is, there really is suffering in a realm called Barzakh, this will occur BEFORE Qiyamat. salam!

1 Like

Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 6:18pm On Oct 27, 2015
lexiconkabir:
does this matter? the main point here is, there really is suffering in a realm called Barzakh, this will occur BEFORE Qiyamat. salam!

Updated my last reply, check it. Your translation of the verse is off.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 27, 2015
usermane:

Updated my last reply, check it. Your translation of the verse is off.
being exposed to something means what? if i'm exposed to light, what does it mean? moreover your argument was every soul are at sleep till Qiyamat, whereas this verse shows that every morning and evening these unbelievers are being "exposed"(as you prefer to put it) to fire, and to me this isnt resting, infact its a punishment, unlike what you are trying to establish. however suratul tauba verse 101 says:- "and among those around you of the bedouins (are) hypocrites and (also) from people (of) the Madinah. They persist in hypocrisy you know them not, we know them, we shall punish them TWICE, then THEY WOULD BE RETURNED TO A TREMENDOUS PUNISHMENT." this verse says the unbelievers will be punished twice! before Qiyamat, what do you think this means? salam!
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 7:31pm On Oct 27, 2015
lexiconkabir:
being exposed to something means what? if i'm exposed to light, what does it mean? moreover your argument was every soul are at sleep till Qiyamat, whereas this verse shows that every morning and evening these unbelievers are being "exposed"(as you prefer to put it) to fire, and to me this isnt resting, infact its a punishment, unlike what you are trying to establish.

Being exposed mean being shown or brought forth to hell not necessarily put into it. The bodies in the grave are in sleep as they would allude when ressurrected. The soul is actually behind the barzakh(barrier) as Qur'an 23:100 mentioned. The soul of the disbelievers are exposed to hell morning and night. This is akin to dreaming in one 's sleep. One is exposed to different things in his dream. It doesnt change the fact that he is asleep.

To be punished twice as in Surat Taubah could mean twice in this world, not necessarily once here and once after death in another world before judgement.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2015
usermane:

Being exposed mean being shown or brought forth to hell not necessarily put into it. The bodies in the grave are in sleep as they would allude when ressurrected. The soul is actually behind the barzakh(barrier) as Qur'an 23:100 mentioned. The soul of the disbelievers are exposed to hell morning and night. This is akin to dreaming in one 's sleep. One is exposed to different things in his dream. It doesnt change the fact that he is asleep.

To be punished twice as in Surat Taubah could mean twice in this world, not necessarily once here and once after death in another world before judgement.
can you give proof(s) for the underlined? punished twice means:- at first a painful death for unbelievers & hypocrites, then secondly a torment in the grave, which they will be admitted into Jahanam(hell) eventually. Salam!
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 9:18pm On Oct 27, 2015
lexiconkabir:
can you give proof(s) for the underlined? punished twice means:- at first a painful death for unbelievers & hypocrites, then secondly a torment in the grave, which they will be admitted into Jahanam(hell) eventually. Salam!

I will call it a day after this response.
The proof you seek is in the verses already discussed. The souls are taken up to God after death, agreed? If God states that "they will be exposed to hell morning and night", it stand to reason that the souls already with God will be showned their fate while awaiting the ressurection.

In summary:

1. The concept of Barzakh as a realm where the dead is reincarnated is not supported by the Qur'an. Barzakh in the Qur'an mean a wall that separates, not a place occupied by beings.

2. The concept of Barzakh as a different world and reality from earth where the soul is tortured for sins on earth is not supported by the orthodox Muslim traditions. Orthodox Muslim traditions clearly states that the soul is returned to the body prior to interrogation and torture in the grave.

3. The Qur'an clearly states that sinners on ressurection regard their grave as a place of sleep. If there really is any punishment in the grave, they wouldn't regard the grave as such.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 27, 2015
@usermane, then tomorrow you will have to explain what is meant by dying twice as indicated in suratul ghafir verse 11. salam!
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 5:07am On Oct 28, 2015
The following verses gives us ideas.

Quran 2:28
How disbelieve ye in God when ye were dead and He gave life to you! Then He will give you death, then life again, and then unto Him ye will return.

First man is created dead, this is the first death. Then God gives life to man. Man is thus born alive and lives on earth for a while. This is the first life. Man dies after a while on earth, this is the second death. Then about the Hour, man is ressurrected alive and return to God. This is the second life.

Death comes before life, notice that in Qur'an 40:11, the disbelievers mentioned being given death before mentioning life.

We can understand this better from Adam 's creation(Qur'an 15:28-29). Adam was created souless(dead) first, then God gave him a soul(life).
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by AlBaqir(m): 7:49am On Oct 31, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
Now, the word

'Oh! Woe to us! Who has raised us up from our sleeping place?

Does it mean that they (evil ones) are in a resting place instead of been punished as stated by the Prophet (S. A. W)?

Demmzy15, lexiconkabir, bashbabe2, Aminat508, AlBaqir, fundamentalist and empiree please your attention is needed here for clarification.

In addition to my initial submission, I present to you another explanation of the verse which I think is more accurate.

Sheik Abbas Qummi writes in his Manazil al-Akhira:

"RESURRECTION (QIYAMAT)
The entire universe will remain destroyed till Allah wishes.

Thereafter it will rain consequently and all physical matter will gather together and collect. Israfeel will be the first one to come to life again. Allah will then command him to blow the trumpet again, he shall do so and all dead will arise. A voice will then come "O souls driven forth from the bodies! And the scattered flesh! And the rotten bones! And the dispersed hairs, come and join together, come forth to account (for your deeds)".

The earth will be commanded by Allah to vomit all that lies buried in it. "And the earth brings forth her burdens." {Surah az-Zilzal: 2}

All the matter buried in the earth will come out and join. And the people will arise and stand together. But each one will have a distinct state and different voices. The virtuous will be uttering Allah's praises "Praise be to Allah who has fulfilled what He promised." While the sinners will be lamenting while coming out of their graves "O woe to us! Who has raised us up from our sleeping place."{Surah al-Yaseen: 52}

It is related in a tradition that one foot will be on the earth while the other in the grave, and they will be standing in wonder so much so that thirty thousand years will pass away. This will be the first part of the punishments of Qiyamat"

So obviously the verse refer to the unbeliever's cries after their second death in Barzakh when everyone will be raised up for Qiyamat.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 01, 2015
The first death as i understood it is before birth,when souls were lifeless and the second death is the normal death. and the first life is the first life when soul is breath into a a baby to be born and the second life is the eternal life.
lexiconkabir:
Salam oh brother IdisuleOurOwn(i will like to know your name smiley), firstly we have to note that there is no contradiction in the Qur'an. Many Verses indicates that we will die twice before the day of recompense(yaomul qiyamah) one of such verses is where Allah(s.w.t) says "They will say:" Our Lord! twice hast Thou made us without life and twice hast Thou given us Life! Now have we recognized our sins: is there any way out (of this)?"{suratul ghafir:11} as we've seen, death is twice, which implies the toment will surely happen but at the first death, the second death will happen before the day of recompense, this will be a moment of resting. note:- this is not a scholarly opinion, its solely mine, and as such, i might be wrong, i will like to know the view of others, Allah Knows best. salam!
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by kazlaw2000: 4:23am On Nov 01, 2015
Having read all prior comments, I think there is actually no contradiction. My PERSONAL OPINION, based on all evidences provided are listed thus:
1. We shall all experience 2 deaths. The first is the earthly death and the second is the death in Barzakh.
2. After the earthly death, there is punishment for the body for it sins as described by Hadith's. May Allaah save us from it. There is also good tiedings for those that do good. This will continue till the second death.
3. PEHARPS, the second death is the sleeping or rest before the day of judgement when we shall be woken up by the trumpet. So it will be as if everybody was woken from sleep. Wallaaahu A'laam
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 8:30am On Nov 01, 2015
kazlaw2000:
Having read all prior comments, I think there is actually no contradiction. My PERSONAL OPINION, based on all evidences provided are listed thus:
1. We shall all experience 2 deaths. The first is the earthly death and the second is the death in Barzakh.
2. After the earthly death, there is punishment for the body for it sins as described by Hadith's. May Allaah save us from it. There is also good tiedings for those that do good. This will continue till the second death.
3. PEHARPS, the second death is the sleeping or rest before the day of judgement when we shall be woken up by the trumpet. So it will be as if everybody was woken from sleep. Wallaaahu A'laam

Another problem with this view of Barzakh being the second life to be followed by another death is the life after Barzakh(commencing with ressurection and Judgement) becomes the third life. This is another contradiction that is easily spotted if we agree that there are just 2 death and 2 lives for each person, as relevant verses like Qur'an 44:10 & 2:28 confirms.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by kazlaw2000: 10:30am On Nov 01, 2015
usermane:

Another problem with this view of Barzakh being the second life to be followed by another death is the life after Barzakh(commencing with ressurection and Judgement) becomes the third life. This is another contradiction that is easily spotted if we agree that there are just 2 death and 2 lives for each person, as relevant verses like Qur'an 44:10 & 2:28 confirms.

You have a point there. But pls re-expkain your views about about suuratu ghaafir, verses 11 and 46. That dream analogy you used doesn't sound convincing enough. Are u through with your research? Suuratu ghaafir verse 46 states, using your interpretation "the soul of the disbelievers will be exposes to hell morning and night". This would be no dream. But a reality after death and BEFORE day of resurrection as stated in the latter part if the verse.
Re: Sura Yasin, Ayah 51-53 And Punishment Of The Grave. by usermane(m): 1:27pm On Nov 01, 2015
kazlaw2000:

You have a point there. But pls re-expkain your views about about suuratu ghaafir, verses 11 and 46. That dream analogy you used doesn't sound convincing enough. Are u through with your research? Suuratu ghaafir verse 46 states, using your interpretation "the soul of the disbelievers will be exposes to hell morning and night". This would be no dream. But a reality after death and BEFORE day of resurrection as stated in the latter part if the verse.

I didn't say it is all a dream, forget about the analogy with the dream anyway. I will give a direct clarification here.

You understand that life mean body + soul. All we are told in the Quran is upon death, the soul is taken by God and withheld by him(Qur'an 39:42). The souls in God possession are shown and know their ultimate fate. This is what I understand by Qur'an 40:46. Disbelievers' exposure to hell day and night basically mean disbelievers' souls withheld by God will be constantly shown their fate.
The body itself is in the grave at rest and isn't exposed to what the soul is. But once the soul is restored to the body and the body awaken by God, the body realizes or learns everything.

Peace!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ask Questions And Get Answers According To Kitab Wa Sunnah / 12 Sunnahs Of Jumuah / If I Marry A Muslim Sis, She Must Make Up, Wear Trouser & Open Her Hair Except For Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.