Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,342 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:43 PM

IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION (1193 Views)

Apple’s New TV App Is Apple’s Idea Of TV / Any Idea About Coilart Mage RTA ? / Of The Idea Of Perpetual Motion And Free Energy/Electricity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Ezehrobinson(m): 11:46pm On Oct 25, 2015
To my dear physicists, Geographers and weird thinkers
I have been pondering this idea for the past three years and I think it’s time I break the silence by letting the world know what its all about. I know some will laugh it off because it may seem silly but when you look deeper, you will see the merit which I wish should be subjected to scientific reasoning or investigation before it is disproved.

Here it is;
We were told in our secondary school geography that the earth undergoes two forms of movement; rotation around its axis and revolution around it orbit.
In twenty four hours, it is expected that the earth should have completed its rotation; this means that the all part of the earth must have encountered the sun which is stationary.
In the course of this rotation, the earth carriers everything that is directly or indirectly attached to it surface.

My question goes thus;
If a body could be suspended independent of the earth’s surface, will such a body still undergo this rotation with the earth?
If the answer is NO, I think that a new form of transportation has been birthed. This is because once the object is suspended, that particular point of earth moves away from it (due to rotation) and lets say in the next four hours, that object will be in another location that arrived.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
CC; mynd44, obinoscopy, lalasticala, Jarus, Sagamite, barcanista, Ishilove

Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by kingk(m): 11:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
Science is seek atimes. Technology rocks.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by teepsee(f): 12:17am On Oct 26, 2015
And airplane still follows same route to a particular place no matter the time. Or you never thought of that
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 26, 2015
The OP lacks knowledge of classical mechanics.
Research on Foucault's Pendulum
You should also read secondary school physics textbooks.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Ezehrobinson(m): 9:23am On Oct 26, 2015
Karmanaut:
thanks. I got no engineering background, hence have no idea of mechanics. The question arose out of curiosity after considering some empirical knowledge from geography. I'm still finding the concept of Foucault_pendulum pretty difficult to understand. would appreciate it if you could break it down to a layman's language. thanks
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 26, 2015
Karmanaut:
well that was pretty insensitive . . . sad
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:

thanks. I got no engineering background, hence have no idea of mechanics. The question arose out of curiosity after considering some empirical knowledge from geography. I'm still finding the concept of Foucault_pendulum pretty difficult to understand. would appreciate it if you could break it down to a layman's language. thanks
The simple answer is that the pendulum swings in a fixed plane and the Earth rotates beneath it.
Which contradicts your hypothesis:
If a body could be suspended independent of the earth’s surface, will such a body still undergo this rotation with the earth?
If the answer is NO, I think that a new form of transportation has been birthed.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 26, 2015
@Ezehrobinson

your plan is actually quite nice. it shows creative thinking and i like that. and it would work . . . if . . . gravity wasn't such a dam . . .

i need you to realize one mindblowing thing right now. at any given point in time, you are actually tethered to the earth . . . i suppose like a ram, by your weight.
the same force that keeps a goat tied to a pole via a rope, is the same type of force that keeps you tied to the earth. only that of the rope is called Tension and is caused by electromagnetic forces within the rope. while your "weight" is of course called weight. cheesy and is caused by GRAVITY.
so it doesn't really matter whether you are disconnected from the earth physically or not. you are still tied to the earth via your weight. the only way to escape this is to become a photon and fly out to space or whatever.

OR,

you could use a very ingenious idea that karmanaut failed to mention. interestingly, it would actually make your idea work perfectly. and it all boils down to . . . falling down. the idea boils down to simple vector mechanics. which . . . i realize is only simple to me because i learned it. so, I'll just go straight to the point.

if you were to move perpendicularly to the force of gravity of the earth, as you gained speed, you would fall back to the earth each time in an increasingly parabolic path. at a certain point, each time you fell, you would miss the earth. the result of this is that you would begin to orbit around the earth.
that's actually what satellites do already, so your idea is kind of . . . a re-purposing of an existing technology.

of course there are a host of problems. like, how the hell do you intend to transfer people from earth into satellites? wouldn't it just be better and cheaper to just enter a plane? so, if you could solve those problems, as well as the problems of zero g and other miscellaneous issues, your idea CAN work.

1 Like

Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
Karmanaut:
the op was actually enough to give his own answer, which by all those laws of mechanics you are quoting is correct.

He said "No". What he propose was a mere form of suggestion, an idea, local if function.

Go bk and study your gst 101.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:
I have been pondering this idea for the past three years and I think it’s time I break the silence by letting the world know what its all about. I know some will laugh it off because it may seem silly but when you look deeper, you will see the merit which I wish should be subjected to scientific reasoning or investigation before it is disproved.

Here it is;
We were told in our secondary school geography that the earth undergoes two forms of movement; rotation around its axis and revolution around it orbit.
In twenty four hours, it is expected that the earth should have completed its rotation; this means that the all part of the earth must have encountered the sun which is stationary.
In the course of this rotation, the earth carriers everything that is directly or indirectly attached to it surface.

My question goes thus;
If the answer is NO, I think that a new form of transportation has been birthed. This is because once the object is suspended, that particular point of earth moves away from it (due to rotation) and lets say in the next four hours, that object will be in another location that arrived.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
CC; mynd44, obinoscopy, lalasticala, Jarus, Sagamite, barcanista, Ishilove
the fault in your idea is that you assume the earth is made up of solid matter only "ground", the earth is actually made up of an erronous zone, like an orbit round it, which include GRAVITY and the atmosphere, your idea is perfect if only the earth runs on a form of transverse motion, that is if the upper layer "erronous zone" is detachable from the solid part, which is the ground, gravity is part of the erronous zone of the earth, which is influenced by the rotating motion of the earth.

1 Like

Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
You are the definition of whom an idiot thinks is a
genius.
Teempakguy:
@Ezehrobinson

your plan is actually quite nice. it shows creative thinking and i like that. and it would work . . . if . . . gravity wasn't such a dam . . .
You so realise it is gravity that makes it move in the first place, right?

i need you to realize one mindblowing thing right now. at any given point in time, you are actually tethered to the earth . . . i suppose like a ram, by your weight.
the same force that keeps a goat tied to a pole via a rope, is the same type of force that keeps you tied to the earth. only that of the rope is called Tension and is caused by electromagnetic forces within the rope. while your "weight" is of course called weight. cheesy and is caused by GRAVITY.
so it doesn't really matter whether you are disconnected from the earth physically or not.
you are still tied to the earth via your weight. the only way to escape this is to become a photon and fly out to space or whatever.
You do not need to become a photon, Numbskull, you just need to have surpass a certain velocity, called the escape velocity.
That of earth is 11km/s

OR,

you could use a very ingenious idea that karmanaut failed to mention. interestingly, it would actually make your idea work perfectly. and it all boils down to . . . falling down. the idea boils down to simple vector mechanics. which . . . i realize is only simple to me because i learned it. so, I'll just go straight to the point.

if you were to move perpendicularly to the force of gravity of the earth, as you gained speed, you would fall back to the earth each time in an increasingly parabolic path. at a certain point, each time you fell, you would miss the earth. the result of this is that you would begin to orbit around the earth.
that's actually what satellites do already, so your idea is kind of . . . a re-purposing of an existing technology.
A parabolic orbit is an escape orbit, not a captive orbit.

of course there are a host of problems. like, how the hell do you intend to transfer people from earth into satellites? wouldn't it just be better and cheaper to just enter a plane? so, if you could solve those problems, as well as the problems of zero g and other miscellaneous issues, your idea CAN work.
Face palm.
What the Op described is called a pendulum!!!!

Go and study for your UTME and leave the physics to people who know what they're talking about.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
chalantmike:
the op was actually enough to give his own answer, which by all those laws of mechanics you are quoting is correct.
Are you retardéd or are you trolling?
What the OP described is called a pendulum, whereby an object swings independent of the rotation of the earth.
The Foucault Pendulum is the most accurate demonstration.

He said "No". What he propose proposed was a mere form of suggestion, an idea, local if function.
What drivel are you spouting?
Go bk back and study your gst 101.
Stop typing like you're in high school. undecided
What the hell is a gst 101?
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 26, 2015
chalantmike:
the fault in your idea is that you assume the earth is made up of solid matter only "ground", the earth is actually made up of an erronous zone,
Mr Genius, please tell, what is the meaning of the word "erronous"?
It's not in any of the dictionaries I checked and there's no online definition.
Oh please in your erudition and magnanimity please tell the meaning.

like an orbit round it, which include GRAVITY and the atmosphere, your idea is perfect if only the earth runs on a form of transverse motion, that is if the upper layer "erronous zone" is detachable from the solid part, which is the ground, gravity is part of the erronous zone of the earth, which is influenced by the rotating motion of the earth.
LMFAO. grin
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. grin
Apparently according to our resident Physics Genius whose intellect rivals Einstein's and Newton's, gravity is actually a "zone" around the earth, not only a zone but an "erronous [sic] zone"
grin
grin grin grin

Also according to Him of esteemed knowledge, gravity is "influenced by the rotation of the earth" and not the other way around.
Someone please call the Nobel community!
A Nigerian is about to win the Nobel prize for physics! shocked
Please do not kill me with laughter Mr Genius. grin
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 26, 2015
All this stupidity exhibited in one place, I am beginning to think I am being trolled.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:
Okay...

Here it is;
This is correct...

In the course of this rotation, the earth carrier everything that is directly or indirectly attached to it surface.
We live on the surface of the earths so yes, the earth carries us along.

My question goes thus;
How will it be suspended?
A rope of sorts? If so what you're referring to is called a pendulum.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

There are a couple of reasons you can't just jump up and "hover" while the Earth moves under you. Basically inertia and gravity. That is, when you lose contact with the Earth's surface, you'll keep moving sideways (in the direction your piece of the Earth was moving) at the same speed, say 1000mph at the equator. If it weren't for gravity, you'd fly off in a straight line, but gravity pulls you back down to Earth.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
Karmanaut:

Mr Genius, please tell, what is the meaning of the word "erronous"?
It's not in any of the dictionaries I checked and there's no online definition.
Oh please in your erudition and magnanimity please tell the meaning.

LMFAO. grin
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. grin
Apparently according to our resident Physics Genius whose intellect rivals Einstein's and Newton's, gravity is actually a "zone" around the earth, not only a zone but an "erronous [sic] zone"
grin
grin grin grin

Also according to Him of esteemed knowledge, gravity is "influenced by the rotation of the earth" and not the other way around.
Someone please call the Nobel community!
A Nigerian is about to win the Nobel prize for physics! shocked
Please do not kill me with laughter Mr Genius. grin
a zone surrounding a body yet part of that body "erra something" there is a word for it forgotten, its a psychological term, which Aura fallls under.
An example would be umbra "shadow of an object casted by like" but thats not the word.

Yes gravity is influenced by the earths motion.
WHEN YOU THROW AN OBJECT PERPENDICULARLY UPWARDS ITS LAND AT THE SAME EXACT SPOT OF PROJECTION "BASIC PHYSIC#" ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE SPEED OF DECENT WHICH IS "10". THE PROJECTILE FORCE AND FORCE OF DESCEND

IF GRAVITY IS NOT INFLUENCED BY THE EARTHS MOTION, THE STONE WOULD LAND SOME WHERE ELSE, WHEN PROJECTED PERPENDICULARLY.

THAT IS THE BASIC PRINCIPLE OF WHAT THE OP MEANT BY IMPLYING SUCH METHOD OF TRANSPORTATION IS NOT POSSIBLE.

IS DISTANCE ONE OF THE PROPERTIES OF GRAVITATIONAL FORCE?.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
Karmanaut:

Are you retardéd or are you trolling?
What the OP described is called a pendulum, whereby an object swings independent of the rotation of the earth.
The Foucault Pendulum is the most accurate demonstration.

What drivel are you spouting?

Stop typing like you're in high school. undecided
What the hell is a gst 101?
read again the op did not imply a pendulum, a pendulum requires an object to be suspended from the ground, by an artificial attachment "string", now the object that moves is object suspended from the ground "earth" not the earth itself but the object suspended.

I think the op meant the part that moves is the earth itself DUE TO ITS MOTION and not the SUSPENDED OBJECT "HUMAN".

if am wrong apologies, gst 101 na basic English course.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
chalantmike:
read again the op did not imply a pendulum, a pendulum requires an object to be suspended from the ground, by an artificial attachment "string",
If the OP did not imply a pendulum then the way it can be suspended in the air without any physical attachment is if it's being suspended o its own volition, ergo it is providing its own power like, say, an aeroplane or helicopter which are not new inventions.
now the object that moves is object suspended from the ground "earth" not the earth itself but the object suspended.
Huh?
The earth continues to rotate on its axis regardless, if it didn't turn we would all die eventually.

I think the op meant the part that moves is the earth itself DUE TO ITS MOTION and not the SUSPENDED OBJECT "HUMAN".

if am wrong apologies, gst 101 na basic English course.
Okay.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
chalantmike:
a zone surrounding a body yet part of that body "erra something" there is a word for it forgotten, its a psychological term, which Aura fallls under.
An example would be umbra "shadow of an object casted by like" but thats not the word.
In physics it is called a field, eg gravitational field.

Yes gravity is influenced by the earths motion.
WHEN YOU THROW AN OBJECT PERPENDICULARLY UPWARDS ITS LAND AT THE SAME EXACT SPOT OF PROJECTION "BASIC PHYSIC#" ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE SPEED OF DECENT WHICH IS "10". THE PROJECTILE FORCE AND FORCE OF DESCEND
Nigger what?
LMAO. grin
If it lands on a different spot then it is as a result of air resistance.

IF GRAVITY IS NOT INFLUENCED BY THE EARTHS MOTION, THE STONE WOULD LAND SOME WHERE ELSE, WHEN PROJECTED PERPENDICULARLY.
The stone lands somewhere else because of the fore of gravity.
Gravity is a centripetal force of sorts and is influenced by mass and distance .

THAT IS THE BASIC PRINCIPLE OF WHAT THE OP MEANT BY IMPLYING SUCH METHOD OF TRANSPORTATION IS NOT POSSIBLE.
Huh?

IS DISTANCE ONE OF THE PROPERTIES OF GRAVITATIONAL FORCE?.
Distance is not a " property" of gravitational force, just one of the things that influence the magnitude of the gravity force.
The other being mass.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
Newton showed the relationsip between Force of attraction between two bodies and the mass and distance between two bodies.
Also called the Inverse Square Law of Gravity, it goes thus:
The force of attraction between two bodies is directly oroportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.
Mathematically:
Let F be the force of attraction,
M1 be the mass of one body
M2 be the mass of the second body
r be the distance between the two bodies.

Mathematically we write:
F ∝ M1 * M2 ∝ 1/r2
Combining
F ∝ (M1 * M2 )/ r2
Removing the proportionality sign and thereby introducing a constant, G
G is the gravitational constant (6.674×10 −11 N* (m/k)
F = (G* M1 * M2) / r2
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 27, 2015
Karmanaut:
You are the definition of whom an idiot thinks is a
genius.

You so realise it is gravity that makes it move in the first place, right?

You do not need to become a photon, Numbskull, you just need to have surpass a certain velocity, called the escape velocity.
That of earth is 11km/s

Face palm.
What the Op described is called a pendulum!!!!

Go and study for your UTME and leave the physics to people who know what they're talking about.
dude, did you just insult me?
well, that was in poor taste, dude. doesn't speak well of you at all. undecided

bringing up the op's original post,
Ezehrobinson:
Here it is;
My question goes thus;
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

there is NO description of a pendulum in this entire post. angry it is very obvious that what he had in mind was a system that was independent of earth's inertial frame. i don't know where you got your stupid ideas from. he CLEARLY described a system which would be independent of earth's speed and as such, it would move independently of the earth's rotation. and as such, it would be relatively stationary in space while the earth rotated under it. that is NOT a pendulum.

That of earth is 11km/s
yes . . . you could do that, OR, you could become a photon. undecided there is always more than one way to do things. i simply stated the method that came to mind at that period.

i did NOT describe a parabolic orbit. i merely used the method of a stretching parabola to describe how increasing speed perpendicularly to the earth's gravitational field can make an object independent of the earth's inertial frame. thereby solving the OP's problem.

Go and study for your UTME and leave the physics to people who know what they're talking about
I solved the OP's problem. you DIDN'T. with all your so called knowledge in physics, you could not provide a solution to such a simple problem. you instead resorted to Ad hominem. so what then do you know?
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
Teempakguy:
dude, did you just insult me?
well, that was in poor taste, dude. doesn't speak well of you at all. undecided

bringing up the op's original post,there is NO description of a pendulum in this entire post. angry it is very obvious that what he had in mind was a system that was independent of earth's inertial frame. i don't know where you got your stupid ideas from. he CLEARLY described a system which would be independent of earth's speed and as such, it would move independently of the earth's rotation. and as such, it would be relatively stationary in space while the earth rotated under it. that is NOT a pendulum.

yes . . . you could do that, OR, you could become a photon. undecided there is always more than one way to do things. i simply stated the method that came to mind at that period.

i did NOT describe a parabolic orbit. i merely used the method of a stretching parabola to describe how increasing speed perpendicularly to the earth's gravitational field can make an object independent of the earth's inertial frame. thereby solving the OP's problem.

I solved the OP's problem. you DIDN'T. with all your so called knowledge in physics, you could not provide a solution to such a simple problem. you instead resorted to Ad hominem. so what then do you know?
Who did you call dude?
You lack even one iota of respect.
Do you think everyone on the internet is your playmate?
Well, I blame your parents for raising a mannerless child like you.
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 27, 2015
Karmanaut:

Who did you call dude?
You lack even one iota of respect.
Do you think everyone on the internet is your playmate?
Well, I blame your parents for raising a mannerless child like you.
who the hell are you? i don't know your age, i don't know how you look like, i know next to nothing about you, all i know is that you have a loose tongue, a cranky personality, and you don't deserve an iota of my respect because you're very immature and abusive, and for some reason, you expect people to respect you? who the hell do you think you are, God?
nigga, watch your mouth . . . or hands . . . as the case may be . . . the science section is meant for intelligible discourse. not an avenue for insecure people to play the bully. angry

what nonsense is this?
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by RobinHez(m): 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2015
Teempakguy:
who the hell are you? i don't know your age, i don't know how you look like, i know next to nothing about you, all i know is that you have a loose tongue, a cranky personality, and you don't deserve an iota of my respect because you're very immature and abusive, and for some reason, you expect people to respect you? who the hell do you think you are, God?
nigga, watch your mouth . . . or hands . . . as the case may be . . . the science section is meant for intelligible discourse. not an avenue for insecure people to play the bully. angry

what nonsense is this?

calm down bro....I wasn't expecting u to reply him
u can see he's up to no good on this thread, as he has insulted everysoul here. smiley
Re: IDEA OF NEW FORM OF TRANSPORTATION by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2015
RobinHez:

calm down bro....I wasn't expecting u to reply him
u can see he's up to no good on this thread, as he has insulted everysoul here. smiley
He insulted my parents.
i hate it when people bring innocent and completely unrelated people into their insults. angry
but anyway, i have heard. wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Naija Telecoms Forum / How To Fix Your Problematic Fingerprint Scanner / Nigeria Set To Expand Its Activities In Space

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.