Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,795 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? (35767 Views)

30 Habits That Show Improper Upbringing Of Children / Mother Beating Her 16-Year-Old Daughter For Sharing After Sex Photos On Fb [VIDE / Photos: 11 Bad Habits Of Children Caused By Their Parents Unknowingly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by presh247(m): 2:11am On Oct 27, 2015
Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness [is] bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13 Do not withhold correction from a child, For [if] you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 29:15 The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left [to himself] brings shame to his mother.

The bible has said it all. There are times you have to use the cane for a child not with the intention of inflicting injury but to correct. I would suggest you seldom use the cane for adolescents, talk more but for kids use the cane when necessary.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by lastpage: 2:30am On Oct 27, 2015
carbonmonoxide:
Most people(Nigerians) believe that without beating their children, the child will become disobedient, and they regard beating of kids as a way of being giving them good discipline...

Some parents even tell their children's teachers to beat the hell out of them if they do not obey school laws or fail some subjects..

So the topic is do you believe in beating of children (most especially in schools) as a way of discipline or as an act of wickedness??

Let's hear your views..

Your use of the word "beat" is very misleading.

Proper word is "Canning". ... of children.
Please note that the two are different and have different contextual usage!

Having said that, I believe in the canning of children.... as an extreme measure.

*Spare the rod and spoil the child!
*The stubbornness in the heart of a child is removed with a cane (Holy Bible)

Just to mention two quotes in relation to the topic.

Now, the more important things are:
1.) The "level application" of the cane

2.) The "post-canning" rehabilitation process

I cannot do justice to the topic here because most Nairalanders lack even th eshortest attention span and mst cant even read beyond a few line! grin grin

But in summary,
(a) you need to be careful when canning a child, do it with "love" because you are not a sadist and your intention is not to inflict pain/punishment on the child but your intention is to forcefully correct a bad trait (after verbal corrections have failed to yield results).
Thus, you must cane a child with a high sense of responsibility and love.
No over-flogging or abusive canning.
That is not how a parent shows love to their child!
Do it in moderation otherwise, you are going from "correction" ...to becoming "child-abuse"!

I remember a day my Dad caned me and he was "shedding a tear"! (I was such a stubborn and daring lad, when l was growing up! grin ).
Weeks later, l asked him why he cried after-all, he was the one canning me and not the other way round?
He told me that he was feeling the pain, as he was canning me and that he wished he did not have to cane me.
Then l cried more that day because l knew "I was loved"!. I promised him l will turn out better henceforth.

(b) Since your intention as a parent/teacher is "correction", this is where you need to expend more energy ... not in the canning!
*After the canning exercise, give the child some minutes to "cool down" grin ...
*Call the child and ask him/her if they knew why you canned him? Most children always assume it is because you are wicked! shocked
*In a "quiet,simple and clear" terms, explain to the child why you resorted to the use of the cane
*Let the child know that you do not take delight in canning him/her
*Give the child a clear and precise way to avoid being caned, in the future by letting him know what to do or what not to do.
*Give the child another few minutes to dwell and digest this information
*After this stage has been completed, call the child, cuddle him/her and tell them how much you love them. this last oart is very , very important to rebuild trust and confidence in the child.
*End it with a high-five, a smile and some interest but diversionary activity like "How ,about we watch TV together ..or play together ..or read a book together ...or anything that you know will interest the child.

Children forgive and forget easily (unlike we grumpy adults! angry ) and wont remember the cane in the next five minutes, if properly done, but the lesson will be remembered.

Let us also remember tha not all children need tobe canned, for correction.
I have children that if l just give them that "corner-eye, stare-of death" like this, they would adjust immediately but l also have one that looks like me (too much for my liking!), acts like me and is as stubborn as (a Billy-goat) l was, when l was growing up (His mother has to explain where she got him from! grin ) . That one needs the cane once in awhile otherwise, he will grow wings! undecided

Yes, l am all for the cane. wink kiss
Right under my Pillow! undecided undecided

Lastpage!

#What kind of summary is this sef, that is almost half a page? angry angry

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by lastpage: 2:34am On Oct 27, 2015
presh247:
Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness [is] bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13 Do not withhold correction from a child, For [if] you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 29:15 The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left [to himself] brings shame to his mother.

The bible has said it all. There are times you have to use the cane for a child not with the intention of inflicting injury but to correct. I would suggest you seldom use the cane for adolescents, talk more but for kids use the cane when necessary.

I agree with you Sir!

but that bolded part is not always true!
I have seen parents who literally "beat" a child to death..... as in excessive canning!
It can be traumatic for the child if done excessively and the effect of that can be life-long.

Such children may become abusive themselves as they have never been shown compassion and think lacking such is "normal".
I have seen children who have never been canned in their life... and they still turn out really good adults.

I guess its different for each child.
Know your child, is key!

Lastpage!
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by lastpage: 2:35am On Oct 27, 2015
Mindfulness:

I can do all this without beatings.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Are you a kid?

I bet you did not do all these when you were a kid

I go beat you tire today! shocked grin grin grin

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 3:24am On Oct 27, 2015
For me,discipline sometimes entails using the cane. When I have my kids later in future,I wouldn't use the cane on them once they are past the age of ten, bcoz I feel by then,a child should be able to stand corrected when admonished and to create a tense-free atmosphere in my home where my kids would be able to sincerely talk to me and their father bout pertinent issues concerning them-without any form of fear. But,in school,by all means the cane should be employed in enforcing discipline. Like it or not,it serves as a deterrent to students. There are students who put up a different personality in school...different from who their parents know them to be.
For a child who doesn't want to be flogged,he'll obey school rules nd do just what's expected of him. Back then while I was still in pry n sec school,I dreaded being flogged,bcoz I'd cry 4 a very long time it would seem as though I was waiting 4 the next coming of Jesus Christ before I stop. For this reason, I did my best to avoid being caned nd until I got to SS3,I wasn't flogged more than twice..those occasions,which of course must have been during mass flogging of the whole class.

Need I say that there are parents who have almost zero ability in rendering discipline to their wards/Kids? The school would help such parents in such an instance.

So,yes,4 me,I subscribe to flogging students in school,as long as it's done moderately and conscientiously. I wouldn't tolerate anything that seems like violence from a teacher,e.g, 24strokes of the cane.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by phabulux: 3:37am On Oct 27, 2015
carbonmonoxide:
Most people(Nigerians) believe that without beating their children, the child will become disobedient, and they regard beating of kids as a way of being giving them good discipline...

Some parents even tell their children's teachers to beat the hell out of them if they do not obey school laws or fail some subjects..

So the topic is do you believe in beating of children (most especially in schools) as a way of discipline or as an act of wickedness??

Let's hear your views..

When You see the way some teachers Beat children, you'll be against it. However, a right knock here or there can't be entirely wrong.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Ifebazz(m): 3:57am On Oct 27, 2015
jaykaylegend:
I don't think I can raise up my hand to beat my own child (except some little slaps and knocks when necessary) not to talk of another person beating him/her....
Seems inhumane to me.. There are other ways to correct a child then beating...

FTC for the first time since I joined nairaland. Congrats to me, more FTCs to come....

Meanwhile,
BREAKING NEWS !!!
Dstv has moved all Chelsea matches to cartoon Network to pave way for SERIOUS matches on super sport
channels.
It's very obvious you don't have children yet or you have destined them for the path of destruction. The overzealous Christian would always quote bible passages to buttress their opinion. Yes, you will definitely spoil the child if you spare the rod. A saying in my place, the child is trained by the community and not the parents alone.
Some children misbehave in presence of their parents because they know no nothing wrong and fear them not. Others misbehave in school or outside because they perceive that they always have their parents backings no matter what.
These subliminal actions will actually come to the fore in their teens and by then may be too late to correct.
Bend and/ or break them while they are still malleable. Nobody wants to harm his children but you do more harm by not flogging once in a while.

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by missyadorable(f): 4:31am On Oct 27, 2015
Pidggin:
Yes, why not? I was beaten too and it helped me. Parents cannot train children alone. Okay, imagine one family having like six kids, they will be deceiving themselves if they think they can do all the training on their own. The society through teachers and other responsible adults can help in disciplining children.
Who asked them to have 6 children if they cannot train and discipline them?
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Bollinger(m): 4:48am On Oct 27, 2015
After a certain age it does not work
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by mrakin(m): 5:02am On Oct 27, 2015
mrakin:
As a teacher, I discipline my students. use of cane is not the first mode of discipline.
You can adopt various means
1. The student can be given two or three pages of the dictionary to copy into an exercise book and to learn their meaning. The mode of discipline depends on age, class, nature of the offence committed and gender.
2. The teacher can use the rod, not to cause physical injury but to correct them. We talk, talk, talk, and if the talking is not yielding good result, we then discuss with them one by one in order to know the root of the problem if it persists.

Not all teachers are brutal, people need to appreciate those of us who are professionals.

How will you handle cases of fighting, stealing and jumping over the fence in a school without the use of cane?
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by femiranking28(m): 5:06am On Oct 27, 2015
That's what raised me well. So future generations be prepared

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Bome01(m): 5:08am On Oct 27, 2015
Mindfulness:

There is ABSOLUTELY no need for children to fear their parents or teachers. Such methods are for people who do not know better.

You teach your children love, respect and trust. To do so, you must be a living example of such values. And if your kids break some of the rules that are important in your family, you have 101 ways to punish them but beatings should NOT be part of your repertoire.

I wonder why people think that children need to fear them. undecided
It will do a lot of help mentioning some ways to correct a child other than spanking. Be specific with the kind of punishments to be meted out.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Pidggin(f): 5:10am On Oct 27, 2015
missyadorable:

Who asked them to have 6 children if they cannot train and discipline them?

Ask Google

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by sunerie: 5:15am On Oct 27, 2015
I kno d of punishment I giv child @ home, so I don't welcm their beatin him/her 4 me
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by nkemjacob2(m): 5:16am On Oct 27, 2015
Beaten is necessary but with caution. There are some kids that dont take correction/learn with beaten. "but with caution"

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:17am On Oct 27, 2015
Mindfulness:

Foolishness is part of the Bible.
Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by sunerie: 5:17am On Oct 27, 2015
Pidggin:

Ask Google
bad guy

2 Likes

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by bongolistik(m): 5:27am On Oct 27, 2015
All these people screaming I don't beat my child and the Mr. Teacher should not touch my child are part of the problems that we have in this country. They are the type that will drive to the school to warn the teacher on why he beat their kids. Then you should have left your kids inside the closet and never bother to take him/her to school.

This is Africa, this is Nigeria, beating a kid for wrong doing is part of our culture. If you deemed it fit not to lay hands on your kid personally, fine and good but don't go harassing teachers that disciplined your kids by beating them.

How do you expect the teacher to know that you don't beat your kids, when the teacher flogs every kids that misbehave in school, and now you are telling him not to flog only your own kids when he misbehaves cos he is Obama son abi waiting.

The problems in this country is just too much that even most parents contribute to. Eg, those that will go warn a teacher for flogging their kids. Why not send them abroad to school where they don't use cane. As far as your kids school in Nigeria, expect the teachers to flog the hell out of them when they misbehave.

It is a personal thingthing, never you say because you don't beat your kids and teachers should not touch your kids.

And plenty of those types of parents or would be parents have been showing themselves here on NL by the type of comments they drop

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by just4now(m): 5:39am On Oct 27, 2015
NO!!!
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by bongolistik(m): 5:47am On Oct 27, 2015
lastpage:

I agree with you Sir!

but that bolded part is not always true!
I have seen parents who literally "beat" a child to death..... as in excessive canning!
It can be traumatic for the child if done excessively and the effect of that can be life-long.

Such children may become abusive themselves as they have never been shown compassion and think lacking such is "normal".
I have seen children who have never been canned in their life... and they still turn out really good adults.

I guess its different for each child.
Know your child, is key!

Lastpage!
sorry to say you sounded as someone that lacks spiritual understanding. So that is the meaning you can read out from the Bible quotation that you replied to? "if you beat him with rod that he will not die"

Then why didn't you also say why will the Bible say" rod" or because the Bible mention "rod" that people should be using iron bender rod to be flogging their kids.

Just pray that God will open the eyes of your mind to understand better Bible verses which are all inspired by Him
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:50am On Oct 27, 2015
carbonmonoxide:

Let's hear your views..
Spare the rod and spoil the chold Proverbs 13:24. Not beating your children when they err and misbehave is an act of wickedness and indiscipline it will bounce back on you. Only a spoilt person will agree that it is wrong to beat a child if he/she misbehaves
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Bollinger(m): 5:52am On Oct 27, 2015
bongolistik:
All these people screaming I don't beat my child and the Mr. Teacher should not touch my child are part of the problems that we have in this country. They are the type that will drive to the school to warn the teacher on why he beat their kids. Then you should have left your kids inside the closet and never bother to take him/her to school.

This is Africa, this is Nigeria, beating a kid for wrong doing is part of our culture. If you deemed it fit not to lay hands on your kid personally, fine and good but don't go harassing teachers that disciplined your kids by beating them.

How do you expect the teacher to know that you don't beat your kids, when the teacher flogs every kids that misbehave in school, and now you are telling him not to flog only your own kids when he misbehaves cos he is Obama son abi waiting.

The problems in this country is just too much that even most parents contribute to. Eg, those that will go warn a teacher for flogging their kids. Why not send them abroad to school where they don't use cane. As far as your kids school in Nigeria, expect the teachers to flog the hell out of them when they misbehave.

It is a personal thingthing, never you say because you don't beat your kids and teachers should not touch your kids.

And plenty of those types of parents or would be parents have been showing themselves here on NL by the type of comments they drop

Beating a child because it is our culture is a wrong mentality. It is also a lazy way of leading your child. That is what you are to your child...A leader. Don't get get me wrong I spanked my kids when they were younger but after a certain age it does not work anymore. Anyone who spanks their children after the age of eleven should look inwards at their parenting style. There are other corrective ways of rehabilitation.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Cutehector(m): 6:07am On Oct 27, 2015
[size=25pt]I am sending my kids to Nigerian Navy Secondary School Borokiri, Port harcourt. They will be highly disciplined there and taught how to behave...[/size]

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by MYGRATEskillz(m): 6:08am On Oct 27, 2015
Me go encourage lynching them sef... I'm really not surprise we are getting the worse kinda breed this days. Kid who don't seem to recognize bounds.

M not saying it because the holy book said it, M a strong supporter of strict discipline all thanks to the west!
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by zainyola(f): 6:10am On Oct 27, 2015
carbonmonoxide:

Let's hear your views..

My dear u just have to beat some of them cause the school am serving if u haven't beat them they won't be serious....they are just so stubborn
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by babysophie(f): 6:15am On Oct 27, 2015
Mindfulness:

They will definitely not attend schools where teachers can't read and write properly. wink
Laffs...u take dem to schools wre u pay heavily still dey r taught by unskilled n underpaid labour. Whatever u feel,my school n community r very happy to v m. One doesn't nid to b an English Professor to teach.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 27, 2015
Moderation is very key when it comes to directing and disciplining a child, whether or not the child is mine.

With sincere hindsight, I make bold to say on many occasions during our primary and early secondary school days, we were beaten by most of our teachers to show their power over us than from a genuine desire to see us improve in our attitude and behaviours.

I support caning kids in school but moderation should be the watchword. I very much doubt it that I grew to be what I am today because I was caned.
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by imohchard(m): 6:18am On Oct 27, 2015
The exact reason I have decidEd that no matter how rich I become, I would rather seNd my child to a federal goV second School rathEr thAn tHis riCh Men schools that don't cane kids and end up raisinG seLfish and self centered kids

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by babysophie(f): 6:18am On Oct 27, 2015
zainyola:

My dear u just have to beat some of them cause the school am serving if u haven't beat them they won't be serious....they are just so stubborn
Dse children r brought to school by parents n if d parents dont want dem to b corrected hu is at a loss?

1 Like

Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Niceiroko: 6:25am On Oct 27, 2015
Spare d rod spoil d child, God is or nver unwise
carbonmonoxide:

Let's hear your views..
Re: Do You Encourage Beating Of Children By Teachers At Schools? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:29am On Oct 27, 2015
I think this z about teacher-student relationship. I'll ask those saying "don't beat my child". U ever taught in a school, n I mean a public secondary school? I doubt cos if u have, ull know that discipline in form of flogging z needed once in a while. I don't advocate for constant flogging, but t shouldn't b completely eradicated. T even gets to a point u don't need to use t again, just walking around d school with t will bring d necessary change

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

6 Things You Can Learn From My Mum's Death. / Mum Tattooes Her Son's Face On Her Back (Photo) / My Husband Is Frustrating Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.