Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Galaxies - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Galaxies (7260 Views)

Hubble Discovers Ten Times More Galaxies Than Estimated / There's Life In Each And Every Single Planet Or Galaxies Known To Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2015
[b]
The ancients called it a "Milky One" we now call it a galaxy which is still derived from the greek word for milky "galakticos"..

Right from the onset of observatory astronomy (Astrology in ancient times) people have always observed a cluster of bright light buttered into alien clouds running across the sky.

Nobody knew what it was but they observed it looked like a spill of running milk across the sky and so they called it "Milky" in greek "galakticos". Ancient greek myth has it that it was the spilled milk from the Goddess Hera's bossom.

...... This milky spill across the sky is what we now recognize as Our home galaxy not surprisingly we named "The Milky way Galaxy"

A galaxy is one of the outstanding things about universe, a stupendous reminder to us of the magnanimous effect of GRAVITY on everything we know in this universe.

A galaxy is a cluster of stars, clouds, dust, planets, dark matters all held together by the reaching arms of gravity....

[img]http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/9911/m31_ware.jpg[/img]

This doesn't mean the stars are touching each other, no very far from that. Actually they are very far from each other like the nearest star to our own sun in our galaxy is 4light years away...**Thats a lot of distances** But the objects in a galaxy are closer to each other than every other around them in response to the gravitational force acting on them and so appear to be closely parked together when viewed.. (Pics above)

Since the milky band in the sky was confirmed by Galileo Galilee to be a cluster of many stars in a celestial system.

One question that popped out as a result of this was... "Are we alone? Is our galaxy (The milky way) the only of this type of celestial objects in the universe?"

Many Astronomers right through out the medieval ages observed Faint dust clusters they speculated to be distinct galaxies from ours which some identified to be "Island universe".

This gave rise to the hypothetical postulation of Island universe better put " Distinct galaxies" and this was a topic of debate between scientists supporting or negating this observed phenomenon owing to the fact that these observed NEBULAEs as they were called seemed far too distanced to be part of the milky way.

The 1900s saw a turn around in this galactic hypothesis as the young observatory Astronomer Edwin Hubble observed using the Mount Wilson telescope the spiral andromeda nebulae (Now the andromeda galaxy ) to be an actual independent celestial object from our milky way and established and estimated distance..

Some near galaxies are actually visible to our naked eyes in our night sky though they appear faint but the andromeda galaxy being a gigantic galactic body is the farthest object seen with the naked eyes from earth at about 2.5million light years away..

Now we have fully confirmed that the milky way is far from being the only galaxy in the universe, we have deducted through the help of the esteemed hubble space telescope and other powerful telescopes and observatories that There are an estimated amount of about 200billion galaxies in the observable universe (which is only the part of the universe visible to us)

this image is called a Hubble ultra deep field image.. every spec of object in the picture is a distinct galaxy and there are about tens of thousands only in this one image.

TYPES OF GALAXIES
we have observed many galaxies of varying configuration but we have placed them in three main galactic types.
1)spirals
2)elliptical
3)irregular

(1)SPIRAL GALAXIES: This is a type of galaxy configuration whereby the galaxy appears to be in a spiral form with arms like a swirling arm of rotation star clusters.

The great Andromeda galaxy is a typical example of one and also is the Milky way or so we think.
Has a galactic center or nucleus of bright cluster of stars (Hoarding enormous amount of energy) many are thought to have black holes.
The arms of the galaxy orbits its center in a swirling dance of gravitational music. . Our solar system is in the orions arm of the milky galaxy and it takes our solar system about 200million years to complete one orbit around the galaxy.

i.e : if our entire solar system is the size of a spec of dust then comparing it with the size of milky way galaxy, the galaxy would be the size of the united state of america... just to give a little incentive of how huge galaxies are.

ELLIPTICAL GALAXIES
Unlike the spiral galaxies, ellipticals dont appear in arm-like forms but rather show to have fewer components and appear in an elliptic form with a very bright center.

[img]http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef01bb0859ee51970d-800wi[/img]

IRREGULAR GALAXIES
Just as the name suggest is a galaxy that has no definite form, from single cluster of young stars and visible nebulas to two galaxies in an interactive mode (Collision)

We also have some dwarf galaxies being manipulated by the gravitational pull of larger galaxies and so are in orbit around the larger galaxy . . .The milky has some of these satellite dwarf galaxies.

The largest galaxy we know is the ridiculously humongous IC 1101..

Galaxies are spectacular celestial objects and has given us a lot to find out about our universe.
Looking out into the stars we have come to find out many things we never knew and what we keep discovering is that we don't know much yet.

Affirms a popular quote that says: "Somewhere in the universe something spectacular is waiting to be discovered...

Cc. dabosuker, dekatron, blackjewelry, Teempakguy, ifenese, menesheh, hahn, Rilwyne001, kristalzkris, freecocoa, krattos, Queed, FrancisTony, pr0ton, plaetton, davien, finofaya, macof, theAtheist101, PEGAN9JA, TheDauraMallam, MzNelly, BUHARIMUSTWIN and others.. pardon me if i spelt your moniker wrong or didn't mention you..
[/b]

11 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Galaxies by menesheh(m): 2:59pm On Oct 27, 2015
The gigantic and immense complexity of the milky way galaxies is portraying the nothingness of our own existence. The concept of multi-verse is even more mind-boggling if there are these infinite universe which is mathematically plausible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by Pr0ton: 3:24pm On Oct 27, 2015
I'd always long to read comprehensively about the Milky Way and going through that just gave me most of the answers I'd been looking for. Interestingly explanatory. It's lovely.

The analogy/comparism of a dirt of dust to the whole of America is incredibly huge. We are less than insignificant in our own galaxy let alone the distant billions BILLIONS of galaxies out there, in the visible universe. And it's far reasonable to say there is a possibility of life elsewhere our planet and the possibility of super intelligent 'beings' which if exist will do as Dr. Michio Kaku says, "Their attitude toward us might resemble our own attitude toward an ant hill. Our inclination is not to bend down and offer the ants beads and trinkets, but simply to ignore them.”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 4:14pm On Oct 27, 2015
Pr0ton:
I'd always long to read comprehensively about the Milky Way and going through that just gave me most of the answers I'd been looking for. Interestingly explanatory. It's lovely.

The analogy/comparism of a dirt of dust to the whole of America is incredibly huge. We are less than insignificant in our own galaxy let alone the distant billions BILLIONS of galaxies out there, in the visible universe. And it's far reasonable to say there is a possibility of life elsewhere our planet and the possibility of super intelligent 'beings' which if exist will do as Dr. Michio Kaku says, "Their attitude toward us might resemble our own attitude toward an ant hill. Our inclination is not to bend down and offer the ants beads and trinkets, but simply to ignore them.”
[b]

I think just like our planet is one out of trillions out there and our galaxy is one out of billions, i speculate our universe MIGHT be one out of many..(Multiverse)

Anyway about Alien life, i think with the size of just our galaxy raised to 200billion others it is outragous to think we are alone but since we have not empirically proven this, there is no need to assume.

Other alien life forms might actually be in microbile form or complex form like us the possibility spans both ways.

But one thing is certain, there will be totally different from what we can imagine. . . While we can only see light we might have some that see infrared.

And i do not want to think Aliens are superior to us, they might still be just another lost species in this universe still trying to leave the stratosphere of their planet or one whose technology is well developed..

remember we the aliens to them too.. wink personally i think distance is the only barrier between us and alien life forms even in their smallest sense. (microbile)

thats why i am keeping my fingers crossed for Mars, ganymede, europa or io... they seem promising...
[/b]

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Galaxies by Dekatron(m): 6:01pm On Oct 27, 2015
Beauty!! The universe!!

Such a beauty!! The complexity, the big data, the little we know . . . Its all BEAUTIFUL.

I would actually reject the idea of a non-existent Alien. I would rather say :- ITS UNCERTAIN- THEIR LEVEL OF INTELLIGENCE. THEY MIGHT BE MORE INTELLIGENT TO IGNORE US, OR BE LESS INTELLIGENT TO NOTICE US.

When I read astronomical data, I feel somehow bad. Why? I WOULDNT BE HERE TO WITNESS THE MEETING OF OUR NEIGHBOURS. GOOD OR BAD.

YES, I LOVE THE BEAUTY OF THE MILKY WAY. HERA MUST BE A REAL BEAUTIFUL DAM THAT ZEUS COULDN'T HELP IT. grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by hahn(m): 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2015
Wow! This is beautiful!

Very interesting. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by Shollyps(m): 9:00pm On Oct 27, 2015
I love this..... thumb up
Re: Galaxies by samsard(m): 9:02pm On Oct 27, 2015
Truly amazing.
Re: Galaxies by Antiparticle(m): 12:36am On Oct 28, 2015
Intriguing and endlessly fascinating.
Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 7:51am On Oct 28, 2015
hahn:
Wow! This is beautiful!
Very interesting. smiley
You said it smiley
Re: Galaxies by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 28, 2015
This is really beautiful

Kind of makes me feel we're giving ourselves too much importance....
Wow!

Johnydon, nice work kiss kiss

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 8:20am On Oct 28, 2015
MzNelly:
This is really beautiful

Kind of makes me feel we're giving ourselves too much importance....
Wow!

Johnydon, nice work kiss kiss

We really do. . . Many people do not know the depth of this universe.

they do not realize there is more to it than just this planet and the sun.

They do not know that most of the stars they see at night have planets orbiting them too just like we orbit our own star.

But when you realize our entire solar system is a small spec of dust in the orions arm which is just a small part of the galaxy which in turn is a spec of dust amongs billions of others swirling in a dance of gravitational rhythm.

When you understand just how insignificant this planet is and how in our arrogance we have prized ourselves the important parts of the universe when we don't even know what exactly the universe is.

You would laugh at anyone who thinks the creator of the universe is having a personal relationship with them, finding their keys or watching if they masturbate...

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Galaxies by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 28, 2015
johnydon22:

We really do. . . Many people do not know the depth of this universe.

they do not realize there is more to it than just this planet and the sun.

They do not know that most of the stars they see at night have planets orbiting them too just like we orbit our own star.

But when you realize our entire solar system is a small spec of dust in the orions arm which is just a small part of the galaxy which in turn is a spec of dust amongs billions of other swirling in a dance of gravitational rhythm.

When you understand just how insignificant this planet is and how in our arrogance we have prized ourselves the important parts of the universe when we don't even know what exactly the universe is.

You would laugh at anyone who thinks the creator of the universe is having a personal relationship with them, finding their keys or watching if they masturbate...

If this could made front page, that would be nice.
A lot of eyes would be opened...
But then again, anything relating to atheism doesn't even smell FP.

The hypocrisy of it all. sad

1 Like

Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 8:32am On Oct 28, 2015
MzNelly:

If this could made front page, that would be nice.
A lot of eyes would be opened...
But then again, anything relating to atheism doesn't even smell FP.
The hypocrisy of it all. sad

Lol... But this has nothing to do with atheism or atheists.

This is a science topic and scientific topics rarely make front page on nairaland.

Unless you name it "Tonto dike in a bath tub" then it is guaranteed..

But there is nothing relating science with atheism. . . nothing at all..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Galaxies by hahn(m): 8:39am On Oct 28, 2015
johnydon22:

Lol... But this has nothing to do with atheism or atheists.

This is a science topic and scientific topics rarely make front page on nairaland.

Unless you name it "Tonto dike in a bath tub" then it is guaranteed..

But there is nothing relating science with atheism. . . nothing at all..

Change the topic title then grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by Angelou(m): 8:41am On Oct 28, 2015
The monstrous enormosity and complexity of celestial bodies always baffles me at all time. I found out that phenomenas like super-galaxies (galactic clusters) also exists (quote me if i'm wrong), now tell me what amount of metric unit of measurement and be used to measure the width or mean diameter of such astronomical Titans? What's the hope of a mortal man to travel such distance or conceive such absurd alternate reality that exists within such phenomenas (a galaxy's nucleus for example)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by hahn(m): 8:44am On Oct 28, 2015
This information is quite elementary. Primary school students should be taught this instead of religious studies.

Unfortunately, our leaders think with their behind

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 8:58am On Oct 28, 2015
Angelou:
The monstrous enormosity and complexity of celestial bodies always baffles me at all time. I found out that phenomenas like super-galaxies (galactic clusters) also exists (quote me if i'm wrong), now tell me what amount of metric unit of measurement and be used to measure the width or mean diameter of such astronomical Titans? What's the hope of a mortal man to travel such distance or conceive such absurd alternate reality that exists within such phenomenas (a galaxy's nucleus for example)

With the type of technology available to us now i would say that we can probably in the near future achieve something near the speed of light with nuclear reactors but still such ridiculous distances is still impossible to us.

Our galaxy for instance is 100,000light years in diameter, unless we can get to observe wormholes and create mini wormholes and blackholes in the near future i doubt if it would solve this problem but i know it will give us a better idea of the universe we live in.

Maybe going by quantum mechanics we could come up with a quantum generator that can generate alternate atoms of an object and project to a different point in space/time.

Sometimes one cant help but realize nature is far more crazier than we can ever imagine. . . for the fact that we are nature too shows just how crazy nature can be ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Galaxies by kkash: 10:24am On Oct 28, 2015
Most of d aliens might be highly evolved dat we appear to be microbs to dem
Re: Galaxies by Psylas(m): 7:16pm On Oct 28, 2015
I love and believe anything scientific

hail all scientists ever liveth

1 Like

Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 8:06pm On Oct 28, 2015
Psylas:
I love and believe anything scientific

hail all scientists ever liveth
Science is not an immutable dogma that needs to be believed.

You do not need to believe anything because it is scientific, No science is very open to doubt, scrutiny and research to disprove its assertions that is the only way it reaches a truthful approximation.

It does not maintain at any point that it has reached an absolute truth but maintains there is room to know more and chances of being wrong...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Galaxies by Angelou(m): 9:10pm On Oct 28, 2015
johnydon22:

With the type of technology available to us now i would say that we can probably in the near future achieve something near the speed of light with nuclear reactors but still such ridiculous distances is still impossible to us.

Our galaxy for instance is 100,000light years in diameter, unless we can get to observe wormholes and create mini wormholes and blackholes in the near future i doubt if it would solve this problem but i know it will give us a better idea of the universe we live in.

Maybe going by quantum mechanics we could come up with a quantum generator that can generate alternate atoms of an object and project to a different point in space/time.

Sometimes one cant help but realize nature is far more crazier than we can ever imagine. . . for the fact that we are nature too shows just how crazy nature can be ...
dont u think creating a (hypothetical) black hole or worm hole could possibly tip the order of things off balance.
Given that a black hole is an unstable source of immeasurable gravity and that could have a counter effect to d gravity holding earth from the core
Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 11:30pm On Oct 28, 2015
Angelou:
dont u think creating a (hypothetical) black hole or worm hole could possibly tip the order of things off balance.
Given that a black hole is an unstable source of immeasurable gravity and that could have a counter effect to d gravity holding earth from the core

I doubt that, if we are to create a blackhole it will be a very mini blackhole. . laboratory generated...

So it poses no threat to the earth's gravitational field...
Re: Galaxies by Krystalzkris(f): 11:34pm On Oct 28, 2015
This is so beautiful... Fact is fellow youths dont care about stuffs like this and that's why we are still where we are.
Re: Galaxies by Remilekun101: 11:07am On Oct 30, 2015
johnydon22:

[size=20pt]at the speed of light, we would be too heavy and might disintegrate.. so that is a no - no

and black hole would surely upturns everything around it... including the laboratory
[/size]
Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 11:18am On Oct 30, 2015
Remilekun101:

[size=20pt]at the speed of light, we would be too heavy and might disintegrate.. so that is a no - no
[i]
I agree with this, the greater the speed the greater the mass and energy required... i didn't really mean we are to embark on manned missions on such probes but rather unmanned probes...

and black hole would surely upturns everything around it... including the laboratory [/i][/size]
doubt this though...
Re: Galaxies by Remilekun101: 11:22am On Oct 30, 2015
johnydon22:

I agree with this, the greater the speed the greater the mass and energy required... i didn't really mean we are to embark on manned missions on such probes but rather unmanned probes...

doubt this though...

[size=13pt]Ok.. unmanned would be cool...

black holes sucks in everything around it.. no matter how mini it looks
[/size]
Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 11:26am On Oct 30, 2015
Remilekun101:

[size=13pt]Ok.. unmanned would be cool...
black holes sucks in everything around it.. no matter how mini it looks
[/size]

I think we could find away to stabilize laboratory generated blackholes if we ever happen to create one..
Re: Galaxies by Remilekun101: 11:40am On Oct 30, 2015
johnydon22:

I think we could find away to stabilize laboratory generated blackholes if we ever happen to create one..

lets do it wink
Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 11:52am On Oct 30, 2015
Remilekun101:

lets do it wink
**Takes my shoes and runs like hell** grin grin
Re: Galaxies by Remilekun101: 12:06pm On Oct 30, 2015
johnydon22:

**Takes my shoes and runs like hell** grin grin

Common.... Guinness world record awaits smiley
Re: Galaxies by johnydon22(m): 2:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
Remilekun101:

Common.... Guinness world record awaits smiley
Nobel prize nko?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheapest Airtel Data Plans In 2018 - Smartconnect 1.5gb For N500, 3gb For N1000 / How to Turn ups to inverter 4 long hours back up / For Sale Brand New Unlocked Blackberry Storm 9500, Htc Touch Pro2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.