Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic (44665 Views)

I Support The Agitation For Creation Of The Republc Of Biafra – Abdulrahman Alfa / UK Parliament Call For Creation Of Biafra. / Buhari Also Campaigned For Creation Of Biafra At United Nations Assembly.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by oyem4u(m): 5:03am On Oct 28, 2015
WARRI—THE Itsekiri ethnic nationality of Warri,
Delta State, has dissociated itself from the calls for
creation of a Biafra Republic out of Nigeria as being
drummed by some Igbo interest groups in the
South-East.

The Itsekiri Leaders of Thought, ILT, expressed the
group’s concern over the Igbo agitation
yesterday in a statement by its Chairman, Pa
Johnson Ayomike and Secretary, Edward Ekpoko.

The body is disturbed that the proposed Biafra
Republic as widely reported in the social media
includes the whole of Delta State.

The statement stressed: “We recall with pains the
day the defunct Biafran Army invaded Warri and
Benin in the then Midwest Region on August 9,

Never again will the Itsekiri tolerate such
invasion. The Itsekiri nation is committed to the
unity of Nigeria and will do all it can to promote and protect it as one indivisible country.

As Major
General Philip Effiong said on January 14 1970, the
Republic of Biafra ceased to exist. We, the Itsekiri,
wish it to be eternally so for the peace and
development of our great nation.”

source - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/itsekiri-nation-disowns-calls-for-creation-of-biafra-republic/

158 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Cpumping(m): 5:07am On Oct 28, 2015
I thnk its time for a referendum. don't u?

I'm guessing it wd b like dat of Scotland

21 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by PassingShot(m): 5:09am On Oct 28, 2015
Let Igbos fight for their secession without dragging other tribes into it. And if they go about it in a civilized manner, they might actually find sympathy and support from some other nationalities.

The current campaign of hate and violence against Nigeria WILL NEVER achieve Biafra for them. It has never worked and it will not work in Nigeria.

Think of Chechnya in Russia, Syrian civil war, Rwanda, and many other violent attempt at secession and tell me which one has been successful.

War no be beans. Make IPOB borrow themselves brain.

274 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Babzrockman: 5:13am On Oct 28, 2015
Igbos only wanted to add south south region to their ranks because of the crude oil.

247 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by kodded(m): 5:18am On Oct 28, 2015
Hmm
Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by PenSniper: 5:22am On Oct 28, 2015
PassingShot:
Let Igbos fight for their secession without dragging other tribes into it. And if they go about it in a civilized manner, they might actually find sympathy and support from some other nationalities.
The current campaign of hate and violence against Nigeria WILL NEVER achieve Biafra for them. It has never
worked and it will not work in Nigeria.

But do they have the brains and common sense to accept this truth, no?

197 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Chanchit: 5:23am On Oct 28, 2015
Chei! Since all sections of SS don disown Biafra what's the next step now? I would suggest biafra starts an internet based country, since una HQ kuku don dey spain already.

216 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by omenka(m): 5:28am On Oct 28, 2015
The body is disturbed that the
proposed Biafra Republic as widely reported in the social media includes the whole of Delta State.

The statement stressed: “We recall with
pains the day the defunct Biafran Army invaded Warri and Benin in the then Midwest Region on August 9,

Never again will the Itsekiri tolerate
such invasion. The Itsekiri nation is
committed to the unity of Nigeria and will do all it can to promote and protect it as one indivisible country.
@Tonyebarcanista, @Truckpusher: perhaps you guys were right after all.

What more can I say?

It shall be well with Nigeria.

108 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Keegan: 5:30am On Oct 28, 2015
Babzrockman:
Igbos only wanted to add south south region to their ranks because of the crude oil.

...and access to the sea. In reality biafra is a landlocked nation like Lesotho to South Africa.

134 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by omenka(m): 5:31am On Oct 28, 2015
PassingShot:
The current campaign of hate and violence against Nigeria WILL NEVER achieve Biafra for them. It has never worked and it will not work in Nigeria.
I was so irritated the other day when some of them even carved out a chunk of Benue state into their imaginary country.

You just can't believe the arrogance! angry

165 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by IlekeHD: 5:31am On Oct 28, 2015
lmaooo who won't deny failure?

come chop food, freeglobe grin grin

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by ouiblog(m): 5:36am On Oct 28, 2015
this is a post with a valid source, undecided lalasticlala , Seun , ishilove , why is this not on front page .......

21 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by baby124: 5:38am On Oct 28, 2015
I honestly expected this from Itshekiri. When I saw their name in ND republic, I laughed

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by RichDad1(m): 5:45am On Oct 28, 2015
Biafra is just a mirage.

48 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Aufbauh(m): 5:52am On Oct 28, 2015
In other words,
I pledge to Nigeria my country (whether you called it a zoo)

To be faithful, loyal and honest (irrespective of political or ethnic divides),

And to defend her unity (I believe in the indivisible Nigeria with true federalism and anyone with a divergent view(s) is an enemy and I'll not hesitate to smoke out his/her life when it matters),

To uphold her honour and glory (honour and glory of the most populous black nation, the largest economy in Africa, the beauty in our diversities, the sweet friendship i have kept with the yorubas, Igbos, Ijaws, Esans, Afemais, Tivs, Jukuns, Chambas, Igalas, Isokos, Ikwerres, Ibibios, Efiks, Kilbas, hausas, fulanis, Idomas, Eggons, Nupes, Ibirras, Bachamas, Beroms,Michikas, Marigis etc.

So help me God. Amen!

NB : I also want to use this opportunity to convey the message of we the good people of Benue state to the biafra crusaders that no part of our land should be included in their dillusional campaign.
Be well guided!

233 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Nobody: 5:57am On Oct 28, 2015
oyem4u:
WARRI—THE Itsekiri ethnic nationality of Warri,
Delta State, has dissociated itself from the calls for
creation of a Biafra Republic out of Nigeria as being
drummed by some Igbo interest groups in the
South-East.

The Itsekiri Leaders of Thought, ILT, expressed the
group’s concern over the Igbo agitation
yesterday in a statement by its Chairman, Pa
Johnson Ayomike and Secretary, Edward Ekpoko.

The body is disturbed that the proposed Biafra
Republic as widely reported in the social media
includes the whole of Delta State.

The statement stressed: “We recall with pains the
day the defunct Biafran Army invaded Warri and
Benin in the then Midwest Region on August 9,

Never again will the Itsekiri tolerate such
invasion. The Itsekiri nation is committed to the
unity of Nigeria and will do all it can to promote and protect it as one indivisible country.

As Major
General Philip Effiong said on January 14 1970, the
Republic of Biafra ceased to exist. We, the Itsekiri,
wish it to be eternally so for the peace and
development of our great nation.”

source - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/itsekiri-nation-disowns-calls-for-creation-of-biafra-republic/
thank God u guys admit that some part of delta are Igbo territory ... We wouldn't force the other part to join us

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by OduaVanguard: 6:01am On Oct 28, 2015
Euro31:
thank God u guys admit that some part of delta are Igbo territory ... We wouldn't force the other part to join us

Why do some of you guys relish lying? Where in the article did they remotely "admit that some part of delta is Igbo territory"? Even the portion you bolded/highlighted read "includes the whole of Delta State." How you were able to misinterpret/imply that to mean "some parts of delta are Igbo territory" defies logic. You people are hopeless.

147 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Ciscogod(m): 6:03am On Oct 28, 2015
Igbos can get biafra without forcing any other ethnic group in their struggle.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by acenazt: 6:03am On Oct 28, 2015
omenka:
I was so irritated the other way when some of them even carved out a chunk of Benue state into their imaginary country.

i swear these people are really Arrogant can you imagine i was reading one post and someone mentioned Idoma as a tribe within biafra??

100 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by blaqoracle: 6:03am On Oct 28, 2015
PassingShot:
Why bother yourself? The igbos dont have the capacity to wage war; they cant even defend their so called five states, let alone leading an invation. The current noise about biafra is an attempt to mask their political miscalculation and misadventure of supporting jonathan's failed 3rd term bid. However, jonathan has since recovered from the shock and moved, even edwin clark an avowed pugilistic supporter of jonathan have all moved on, yet the igbos are still ruminating over a defeat they can not undo.

130 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by LordMecuzy(m): 6:04am On Oct 28, 2015
Why are my igbo brothers forcing themselves on SouthSouth? Well the real igbo business men out there don't give a damn about South South or Biafra stuffs

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by teepsee(f): 6:12am On Oct 28, 2015
I know many people will be pissed hearing this. Biafra will die a silent death, just give it time

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by acenazt: 6:12am On Oct 28, 2015
These Biafrans Amaze me. Kai they are soo deluded and blind that they start believing Lies. How can they go as far as to join parts of benue which i believe is in the North to their imaginary Land? Cant they stand alone? Cos what i noticed is they are joining the Ss for their very selfish interests

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Nobody: 6:15am On Oct 28, 2015
South South Niger Delta will never join biafra

Igbo are using the support they gave to Jonathan in 2015 election as blackmail to convert Niger delta struggle to biafra. Niger delta struggle is resource control and true federalism. This deception will not work. They only supported Jonathan because they got alot of appointments under Jonathan. They are just selfish and greedy people. Niger Delta Struggle is completely different from biafra agitation. Igbo supported Obasanjo against thier own son and hero Ojukwu in 2003 election, they should go and claim yoruba instead.

As far as I am concern Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa are all benefiting from the current system. After all an Igbo man Gen Agunyi Ironsi created the Unitary System for Nigeria in 1966 that we are complaining against today. Gen Agunyi Ironsi set the foundation for the destruction of regional federalism in Nigeria. if not for his love for total control and domination (The disease of an average Igbo man), Niger delta would have be enjoying 50% resource control today. When Isaac Adaka Boro wanted to form Ijaw Nation Republic in 1966 it was Igbo Head of State Gen Agunyi Ironsi that fought him with a 12 day war.

The Igbo claim to be one of us because some South South states were part of the old Eastern region. First of all, eastern region was created by Nigeria for Nigeria convenience. It was not a decision of the nationalities that made up the old eastern region. Secondly before most people forget, today Edo and Delta state were never at anytime part of eastern region. Edo and Delta states were first part of Western region later became Midwestern region, then change to Bendel state before becoming Edo and Delta state today. Some tribes speak Yoruba in Edo and Delta state. Why is yoruba not claiming Edo and Delta state the way igbo is claiming Rivers and Delta states because some people speak ibo in those states?

Igbo may have succeeded in brainwashing some South South people that they are one of us, it is a big lie. They may have succeeded in brainwashing some of us that only hausa and yoruba is the problem of South South, it is a big lie. They are the same as far as I am concern.

The problem with Igbo is greed, self-entitlement and born to rule, control and exploit mentality. Qatar is smaller than Bayelsa in population and half d size of Bayelsa state by landmass. Bayelsa is four times the size of Singapore. if Qatar and Singapore can be a country, why cant we have an Ijaw nation as a country? Do u think Ijaw people dont want to be like Qatar and enjoy their oil alone like Qatar does? Note: Bayelsa State is d smallest state in the south south by population and second to the last by landmass!!

Below is the size of south south states and south east states. South South is almost 3 times the size of south East.
Yet the population of South east is almost 80% of south south population base on 2006 census
. But by the time you add igbo who are currently leaving outside south east, you will discover that thier population is more than all the south south put together. More than 90% of the resources (oil, gas, limestones,etc) are in the south south. The whole of South East is landlock with no direct access to the sea or atlantic ocean. but almost all the south south states have direct assess to the sea and atlantic ocean. Some will say they have River Niger. River Niger is not a sea or an ocean for big Ships.

Tell me why South South Nations will want to form a country with south east if they have a choice ? all south east will bring to the table is population and domination? The total oil production from south east is not up to 10% of south south oil production!

If you are the leader of south south nations will you advice them to form a country with south east if they have the option of forming their own country alone? give a sincere answer!!

As far as I am concern, as unbrainwashed south south , there is no difference between the Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa. To me, these are three major tribe struggling and fighting for Supiriority. Whenever any of the three is loosing, he shout marginalization.

During Jonathan govt, the Igbos were gaining and were in control and were happy. The Yoruba were losing and were shouting marginalization. The hausa/fulani were not happy because they were not fully in control. For the North we can slightly understand because in the 16years of democracy (May 1999 to May 2015) the south ruled 13.3years while the North had just 2.7years

The Igbo don't love south south more than the hausa or Yoruba love us. All the three tribe are all struggling for the control of south south oil. None of the three is better than the other as far as we south south are concern.

The only place south south nationalities agree with Igbo is Nigeria should divide . However while south south clamour for succession is base on lack of true fiscal Federalism and resource control, on the other hand, igbo clamour for succession is base on IGBO BORN TO RULE, CONTROL AND EXPLOIT MENTALITY. Igbo make noise and claim d north have born to rule mentality because of Sokoto State former licence plate motto of born to rule which they have change. The People with the true born to rule mentality are d Igbo. it is because they are not having thier way that they are complaining and making all d noise all over Nigeria.

But how and why Nigeria will and should divide, what we want and what they want is as different as d distance of the earth to d moon.

South south want resource control or thier own freedom. we will support Biafra as Igbo only nation while they should support us to form our own nation or nations. But trying to add us as an appendage to Biafra will never happen.

If south south join Biafra, our individual identities will be wiped out in less than 50years. They will convert every south south nationality to Igbo. And they will so much take charge of the oil and resources with reckless abandon without any regard to d minorities.

LET EVERYONE FORMS HIS OWN NATION IF WE CAN'T GET 50% RESOURCE CONTROL. SOUTH SOUTH NATIONS DONT WANT IGBO, YORUBA OR HAUSA IN THIER NATION. WE DONT WANT ANY DOMINANT TRIBE TO CONTROL US IF OR WHEN NIGERIA DIVIDE.

They will argue that there are some igbo in rivers state, delta state and edo state. As far as i am concern Igbo speaking people in south south will join Niger delta republic or confederation. Their are Hausa people in Niger, there are Yoruba people in Benin Republic and Togo. Does that make those yoruba and hausa speaking people in those countries Nigerians?

The south south nationalities can form a confederation with United Arab Emirate template, where seven different nationalities came together to form a confederation with each nationality having some form of autonomy.

if the south east want to join the confederation they can join. We can't leave nigeria and go and form another normal single country were there is a dominant tribe. That will be moving from frying pan to fire.

Just like the United Ararb emirate asked qatar and behrain to join them, but qatar and behrain choose to form thier individual countries.

What Biafra represent is a single country with a powerful centre where a dominant tribe can control. South south dont want that. If we must fight or struggle for succession, we need a new name like "United State of niger delta" or any other name which clearly shows a union rather than a single country.

We need to set the record straight before south south nations make the mistake of south Sudan. It is more than Four years south sudan left
sudan to form thier country. Since that time south sudan has been in War while North Sudan enjoy peace. This was because nations in
south sudan came together to form a single country without ensuring that thier difference in ethnicity was fully discuss. Some
part of south sudan are now feeling marginalized. That is exactly what will happen if Igbo succeed in forcing south south nations into
Biafra. That so called Biafra wont have peace. It will be another Somalia!!!!

For peace to rain let Igbo form Biafra from the Five south east state and let the the six states in south south form a confederation or seperate nations. Anything outside this will never work.

I do not hate Igbo people. Many of my friends are Igbo. I only hate thier deceit and greed. what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
What we dont want is a dominant tribe simple. If south south join Biafra, that country will be 60% Igbo. How do you think other minorities can compete in that kind of country? Whether we like it or not we both know that Igbo are not diplomatic people by nature. That will lead to complete extinction of other tribe. in less than 50years they will make the whole Biafra Ibo without any consideration.

I dont hate Igbo. But i hate when i know the Biafra they seek is a Biafra with current south south as an appendage to it.
Why cant they support our freedom, and we will support thier freedom. Why do igbo make it look like it is wrong for Niger Delta people to seek thier own freedom outside Biafra? In biafra current south south minority will be like conquered people. God forbid that to happen.

a quote from Isaac Adaka Boro Autobiography (wriiten himself). Read Chapter 5 - Campus Politics
http://www.adakaboro.org/the12dayrev/chapter-5-campus-politics.
This was the campaign statement of his opponent for UNN SUG presidency:

"My opponent, Ejiogu, took the floor when I had finished, and what did he say? "Ladies and gentleman, this is a crucial time in Nigeria when we should not allow a vocal minority to rule an obvious majority
These words still ring in my memory because, as my opponent put it, they are crucial not only to me but to my people, the Ijaws. Most of the alien students walked out of the hall and it seemed as if a spell was cast on the atmosphere. The campaigns ended solemnly and the result of the election was again one way. Ejiogu won with his majority. The last minute strategy. A Cameroonian friend of mine, John Ngole, promptly resigned his secretaryship of the Historical Society in protest."

I am very sure that Nigeria will divide faster if Igbo seek Biafra with 5 south east state alone and Niger delta republic seek a country with the 6 South south states alone at the same time. Once the Hausa and Yoruba sees that Igbo are supporting a Niger Delta republic separate from Biafra, they will see it as true struggle. But if the struggle is about Biafra with south south in it, where Igbo will gain south south resources with Yoruba and Hausa loosing out, I bet you until South South oil finishes, Nigeria wont divide.

If we cant get resource control, we don't need to form a single country with Igbo, we can seek for our separate nation on two front simultaneously but not on one front. What we need is cooperation from Igbo not togetherness with Igbo. If they truly want to leave Nigeria and liberate Niger delta people from dominant tribes, they should support us to form our nation as they form thiers. I bet you when that happen, the struggle will be half won.

The Ojukwu Biafra was Igbo dream not Ijaw, Esan, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ikwerre, ogoni, ibibio, etc dream.

In summary, my point is that why the primary interest of Niger Deltans is resource control, Igbo primary interest is seperation from Nigeria with Niger delta as thier trophy. Igbo wants a nation where they can become the lord, control and dominate others. Since in Nigeria, Hausa and yoruba are ahead of them in the power struggle, they resort to blackmail and cry foul claiming marginalization.

if Nigeria will divide peacefully by United Nations referendum, south south will not join Biafra. Peaceful division of Nigeria can only be into a minimum of five countries (Arewa republic, Niger Middle belt, United Niger Delta, Oduwa republic, and Biafra). South South will form its own nation/nations.

My Igbo neighbour may not like this submission, but it is the bitter truth

188 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 28, 2015
Euro31:

I.have said it many times in dis forum. Delta state was never in history part of eastern region or Biafra. Delta state was part of western region in d very beginning b4 it bcome midwest, bendel and delta.

No single territory in delta will be Biafra.
Anioma is not part of Eastern region and cannot be Biafra.

Anioma belong to niger Delta and south south and cannot be biafra. They are benin descendant who related with igbo over a long time .

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:19am On Oct 28, 2015
Cpumping:
I thnk its time for a memorandum. don't u?

I'm guessing it wd b like dat of Scotland
I guess you meant referendum?

28 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Dharn(m): 6:20am On Oct 28, 2015
D
Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by 500GP: 6:31am On Oct 28, 2015
PAZIENZA, HOW MARKET ?
# THEY WANT CRUDE OIL TO DEVELOP THEIR LAND

20 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:38am On Oct 28, 2015
omenka:
I was so irritated the other way when some of them even carved out a chunk of Benue state into their imaginary country.

7 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by 500GP: 6:39am On Oct 28, 2015
ITSHEKIRI IS A PART OF YORUBA SPEAKING TRIBE BEFORE, WHO WILL TAKE THEM SERIOUS..

#IN IBO'S VOICE

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 28, 2015
atbu1983:

I.have said it many times in dis forum. Delta state was never in history part of eastern region or Biafra. Delta state was part of western region in d very beginning b4 it bcome midwest, bendel and delta.

No single territory in delta will be Biafra.
Anioma is not part of Eastern region and cannot be Biafra.

Anioma belong to niger Delta and south south and cannot be biafra. They are benin descendant who related with igbo over a long time .
why not go to Anioma nd make this same statement ,.. Lets see if u will come back with ur head intact

12 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Top 5 Lies About Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi / Again, Protest Rocks Ogun Over Naira Scarcity, Banks Burnt / Erhiatake Ibori Booed At Ibru's Burial For Fumbling Over Common Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.