Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,682 members, 7,805,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy (31903 Views)

Access Bank Raises $158m From 13 International Banks / Fidelity Bank Raises International Spend Limit On Naira Cards / World Bank Raises 2016 Oil Price Forecast To $41 Per Barrel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Fynestboi: 7:02am On Oct 28, 2015
ranks nation 169th globally

Mauritius, Uganda, Benin, Senegal among best

Despite sustained efforts by the federal government to improve Nigeria’s business environment, indications showed that most of the efforts had not impacted positively on the nation’s business climate with its ranking at the 169th position among the 189 countries assessed on economic reforms implementation.

The ‘Doing Business 2016: Measuring Regulatory Quality and Efficiency’ report published yesterday by the World Bank showed that Nigeria moved just a point higher than the 2015 position of 170th in the global rankings.

The country also scored poorly in Distance to Frontier assessment index, scoring 44.69 per cent in 2016 as against the 43.56 per cent in 2015.

During the period under review, the country was reported to have carried out two reforms more than it did last year.

Of the 35 countries covered by the report in Sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria came 25th, with Mauritius, Uganda, Kenya, Mauritania, Benin and Senegal ranking among the top best improvers.

The World Bank Group’s annual ease of doing business measurement indicated that Sub-Saharan Africa economies continued to implement reforms to improve the business climate for domestic entrepreneurs, with members of the Organisation for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa, OHADA, particularly active during the past year.

According to the report, out of the 69 reforms carried out in 35 economies in Sub-Saharan Africa, 14 of the OHADA’s 17 member countries implemented 29 reforms.

This is even as the report showed that reforms implemented in Sub-Saharan Africa accounted for about 30 per cent of the 231 reforms implemented worldwide during the past year.

The Breton Woods institution disclosed further that the region also boasted half of the world’s top 10 improvers, that is, countries that implemented at least three reforms and moved up on the global rankings scale.

Amongst the improvers in the continent are Uganda, Kenya, Mauritania, Benin and Senegal.

The report noted further that the region stood out in implementing reforms under the Getting Credit indicator, adding that of the 32 reforms made globally, 14 were carried out in Sub-Saharan Africa, with Kenya and Uganda making significant progress.

Commenting on the report findings, Rita Ramalho, Manager of the Doing Business project, noted that “despite great improvements, governments in Sub-Saharan Africa will need to continue working on closing the gap in many key areas that impact the ease of doing business, especially increasing access to reliable electricity and providing effective commercial dispute resolution – two areas where the region scores the lowest globally.”

Clarifying further, the bank reported that on Getting Electricity, it required an average of 130 days for an entrepreneur to get a new electricity connection and, once connected, customers experience frequent outages lasting almost 700 hours per year, thereby making Sub-Saharan Africa the region with the highest duration of outages globally.

This is even as the region was also ranked poorly in the areas of Trading Across Borders and Registering Property.

At the continental level, Mauritius was reported to rank best in the region, with a global ranking of 32, performing particularly well in the areas of Paying Taxes and Enforcing Contracts.

It takes only 152 hours for entrepreneurs to pay taxes in the country, compared to 261 hours globally.

The bank stated further: “Rwanda has the next best ranking in the region, with a global ranking of 62. Rwanda also implemented the highest number of reforms in the region, with six reforms carried out in the past year. The country ranks second in the world on the Getting Credit indicator and 12th in the world on the Registering Property indicator.

“Ten years ago, an entrepreneur in Rwanda took 370 days to transfer property. Now, it takes 32 days which is less than in Germany. Botswana, with a global ranking of 72, South Africa

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/world-bank-raises-alarm-over-nigerias-economy/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Dominique

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by 4reala(m): 7:06am On Oct 28, 2015
Hmm! Insecurity is one of Nigeria's greatest treat to economic development. Nigerian govt should seek a more proactive measure of ending the issue of insurgency, kidnapping and armed Robbery instead of paying lip service to it. Let us as as citizens cultivate d habbit of neighbourhood watch and also being our brothers keeper. And d govt. Should promote cordial relationship b/w civillians and security agencies. So that citizens can easily divulge useful informations on crime and criminals to security agencies without fear of being attacked, or such info. Being leaked to the criminals by the security agencies

8 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by trapQ: 7:15am On Oct 28, 2015
Lmao!! I've lost hope in Nigeria. I'll strive to be a better person for myself, family and society, but for me to hope on the govt?? Hell Nah

95 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by nnachukz(m): 7:25am On Oct 28, 2015
We will come out of all these negativities stronger than we were before. Hard time doesn't last but hard people do.

29 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by damton(m): 9:23am On Oct 28, 2015
noted.

Buhari must hear this.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Dottore: 9:23am On Oct 28, 2015
O
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by JayRise(m): 9:24am On Oct 28, 2015
hmm...Buhari where art thy ministers? This nation needs to move forward CC : OBJ, JAGABAN

MUST READ
5 types of men every woman should avoid(love messages)

2 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by IAMTHEHERO: 9:24am On Oct 28, 2015
Ah ah!!! What happened? But l have been rubbing the Nigeria economy with Buhari Body Odour/Scent everyday since May 29th 2015.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by onyepapa(m): 9:24am On Oct 28, 2015
I just love this body odour of ours! It just keep doing wonders day in day out sai baba

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by OZAOEKPE(f): 9:25am On Oct 28, 2015
And a useless president said abacha didn't steal money. Omoale ni PMB.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by PassingShot(m): 9:25am On Oct 28, 2015
It's not a surprise to read news like this. It is what we've known about our country/economy. It is a result of what we did and failed to do in the sixteen years of poor governance largely brought on our nation by OBJ and GEJ.

We hope that this will change within the next few years of this new administration.

OZAOEKPE:
And a useless president said abacha didn't steal money. Omoale ni PMB.
Why not borrow sense?

When will you get over the loss of GEJ's presidency?

18 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by plexond(m): 9:25am On Oct 28, 2015
Okkk

1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by coldsummer: 9:25am On Oct 28, 2015
we know. God just saved Nigeria that Jonathan did not return as a president. The country would have been broke and economy crashed now.

Let us give PMB a chance to put the country back on the right track. What we are facing now was done be GEJ and co. believe it or not.

BTW, when will the international guys start returning our loot?

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by BCISLTD: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
angry benin...

Check out my GL 450 benz. .

Call or whatsapp
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Oblion(m): 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
The effect of 'change' is now glaring, but the strong will survivecheesy

4 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by alashg(m): 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
OK we don hear
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Austin4lif: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
Does that mean Buhari will not be able to pay us our 5k as promised? Does not mean that Buhari will nt be able to feed school children again? Nkene, omenka , Egift and nairaland APC - rats , pls does it mean that our naira will never equate to one dollar? Let pray for buhari body language in this matter.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
all4naija:
I blame it on dullard! angry angry angry lipsrsealed cry

Smh
Slimvincent:
No thanks to Buhari

smh
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
I blame it on dullard! angry angry angry lipsrsealed cry

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by MissShakara: 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
Are we getting better or worse? I just don't understand again. Which way Nigeria?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Warldbest(m): 9:26am On Oct 28, 2015
Apga is the only nigeria solution

3 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by onyepapa(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
4reala:
Hmm! Insecurity is one of Nigeria's greatest treat to economic development
you lie it's GEJ!!! Fucccking ediots it's not GEJ any more it's now insecurity. May you remain blind to the truth forever

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Slimvincent(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
No thanks to Buhari

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by prigoz(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
That's their opinion

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Hemanwel(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
Buhari selectively tackling corruption while leaving other sectors,including the economy and security vulnerable to deterioration/degeneration.
Tomorrow will make it exactly 5 months into his administration yet,we do not have a Finance Minister to coordinate our economy.Does Buhari think he's ruling the country for 50 years hence,the slow pace?Perhaps,we should remind him that he has a 4-year mandate to rule.IF he performs well enough to deserve a second term,we'll vote him again,OTHERWISE,we gonna kick his dry ass outta Aso Rock!
We want CHANGE from BAD to GOOD not BAD to WORSE!
Thank you!

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Nziwujo(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
And you espect me to read this long post U have got to be kidding me
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by deramarks(f): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
trapQ:
Lmao!! I've lost hope in Nigeria. I'll strive to be a better person for myself, family and society, but for me to hope on the govt?? Hell Nah
. I share d same dream tho but I'll leave d country tooo

1 Like

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by JONITEZ(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
Hmmm...Nigeria!
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by ihatebuhari(f): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by steph2sweet(f): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
We are in for a rough ride with mumuhadu buhari.

7 Likes

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by fzero: 9:27am On Oct 28, 2015
nnachukz:
We will come out of all these negativities stronger than we were before. Hard time doesn't last but hard people do.
Story!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 28, 2015
Hmmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why ATM Pin Has 4 Digits Only / "Building Simpler, Smarter Bank.”: Union Bank Unveils New Brand Identity / Ventura Mall, Ibadan Is On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.