Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood (2839 Views)

PHOTOS: Nollywood Now Making Blue Films / Nollywood Now Making Sex Movies / Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by OneNaija(m): 10:13am On May 07, 2009
Nigeria surpasses US in film production: UN survey

United Nations, May 6 : The Nigerian film industry has surpassed Hollywood and closed up to India, the global leader in the number of movies produced each year, according to a UN agency report.

According to the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) survey, Bollywood and other Indian film centers produced 1,091 feature-length films in 2006. In comparison, Nigeria’s film industry, commonly known as Nollywood, came out with 872 productions in video format while the US produced 485 major films.

Film and video production are shining examples of how cultural industries, as vehicles of identity, values and meanings, can not only open the door to dialogue and understanding between people, but also to economic growth and development, said UNESCO Director-General Koïchiro Matsuura, who released the report yesterday. This new data on film and video production provides yet another proof of the need to rethink the place of culture on the international political agenda.

Key to Nollywood’s explosive success is Nigerian filmmakers’ reliance on video instead of film, reducing production costs, and, as the survey points out, the West African country virtually has no formal cinema halls, with about 99 per cent of screenings in informal settings such as home theatres.

The three cinema heavyweights were followed by eight countries that produced more than 100 films: Japan (417), China (330), France (203), Germany (174), Spain (150), Italy (116), South Korea (110) and the UK (104).

The survey also revealed that about 56 per cent of Nollywood films are made in local languages, while English remains a prominent language, accounting for 44 per cent, which may contribute to Nigeria’s success in exporting its films.

According to the study, US movies continue to dominate cinema admissions around the world, and all of the top ten films seen in Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Costa Rica, Namibia, Romania, and Slovenia were US made
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Thor(m): 10:18am On May 07, 2009
NollyWood may be bigger, but if the truth be known the films that are produced are 99% utter rubbish lipsrsealed

Quantity is not the issue, like most things that come out of Africa the professionalism and quality is diabolical. I sometimes watch the odd Nigerian film so I can have a good laugh at the comically bad acting standards and third world cinematography lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

LMAO grin grin grin grin
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Nobody: 12:44am On May 09, 2009
Thor:

NollyWood may be bigger, but if the truth be known the films that are produced are 99% utter rubbish  lipsrsealed

Quantity is not the issue, like most things that come out of Africa the professionalism and quality is diabolical. I sometimes watch the odd Nigerian film so I can have a good laugh at the comically bad acting standards and third world cinematography  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

LMAO  grin grin grin grin

99%!!!! you mean 150%, right? the movies that get produced in 9ja are the same as what some vloggers do around the world, if not better. check some third world countries like Mexico/Colombia and they have better tv soap operas than what Nollywood brings out!
i heard some people produced movies in 9ja for as low as 5000$?! who are we kidding?! thats not even CLOSE to the budget of a shaving cream commercial, let alone movie!
we are talking Quantity here, definitely not QUALITY

example: I once watched a movie called WICKED INTENTIONS where in one scene the co star was pregnant with a big stomach and in the following scene, she was seen with a flat stomach!!!!!!!

you can check it for yourself here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_EZQE40xPw
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by SisiJinx: 12:44pm On May 11, 2009
@ Topic
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Larger FOOLS FOR NOTHING than Hollywood, ya mean!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by labiyemmy(m): 12:50pm On May 11, 2009
na wa o

I may be right to conclude then that nothing good done in Nigeria impresses Nigerians, you then wonder what kind of people are Nigerians. There surely is no greatness in Nigeria, right to say?

Even Nigerian made clothes are termed fake and Nigerian people dont wear it.

Nigerian made technologies are written off by Nigerians as fake.

Nigeria send satellite to space, Nigerians themselves says its not needed

What is it by Nigerians that will ever impress Nigerians? Nothing.
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 11, 2009
i dont need things to "impress" me, i just go by Q U A L I T Y.
We have to start to call a spade A SPADE. why are you ashamed of the truth?! Nollywood shouldnt even be mentionned around the world in term of movie industry and thats a fact and whoever believe the crap that the poster wrote without reading between the lines is DELUSIONAL!
the problem is that what Nollywood produces wouldnt even see the light of day in any "real"country. anyone with 5000$ in Lagos can produce a movie, will it be good? NO!! but they would sell it in every market anyway, adding to the booming so called "nigerian movie industry"
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by iniguy(m): 4:23pm On May 16, 2009
Nollywood may be larger than Hollywood but it is definitely not better. We still have a long way to go, we need private investments by private investors if we are attain the height of Hollywood. But one thing is certin , We will definitely get there!
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Orikinla(m): 6:08pm On May 16, 2009
The fact that Nigeria is the largest producer of home video movies in the world is not the issue, but to tackle the problem of the poor quality of the productions.

If Nigerians want to celebrate a UNESCO Report on being the second largest producer of feature-length movies in the world, they can do so, but they must not celebrate the mediocrity of their Nollywood, lest they continue to be the laughing stock of the Hollywood and Bollywood. It is ridiculous for Nigeria to boast of making over 1,000 movies annually, but not a single one has even qualified for screening at the Cannes Film Festival and most of them cannot make the box office in America!
How many Nollywood movies have been shown in cinemas?

What we should be proud of is quality and not quantity.

You must improve and perfect your craft and art, no matter the format of the media.

Quality has no substitute.
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by MrCrackles(m): 6:55pm On May 16, 2009
Topic

JOKES!

Nollywood is major trash, absolutely pathetic!

I will rather pluck out my own eyes than watch some nolly crap shit!
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by tpiadotcom: 5:48am On Jun 19, 2015
um
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by sureteeboy(m): 10:33pm On Jun 19, 2015
2010 Hollywood movie, Inception was produced with a budget of 100 million dollars , excluding the marketing budget. That cash is more than enough to produce all Nollywood movies released in 2014.
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
labiyemmy:
na wa o

I may be right to conclude then that nothing good done in Nigeria impresses Nigerians, you then wonder what kind of people are Nigerians. There surely is no greatness in Nigeria, right to say?

How old is Hollywood? Do you think Hollywood was perfect in those years they produced movies? Why is India movies toping now in most cinemas? Do you think Indians didn't have flaws like ours? We shouldn't copy all what Hollywood show including their accent rather we should tell our own story. Isn't a must that we win award from Oscar before we are tag the best. Not Anericans watch Hollywood same applies to nollywood in Africa.
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by tpiadotcom: 11:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
did you say "the best".
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
sureteeboy:
2010 Hollywood movie, Inception was produced with a budget of 100 million dollars , excluding the marketing budget. That cash is more than enough to produce all Nollywood movies released in 2014.
How many persons are ready to invest? Would you pay N1000 to watch a quality nollywood movies where alaba boys are at work? For example Ay 30days in Alanta is already on dvd whereabouts the producer hasn't produced his. Do you realise that the government sponsor most film maker in Hollywood?. At least we can start with soap opera s similar to Mexican.
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by ipledge4(m): 12:07am On Jun 20, 2015
labiyemmy:
na wa o

thank you sur,If you see how other Africans idolizw nollywood...But be truth be told,nollywood dey Bleep up
Re: Nollywood Now Larger Than Hollywood by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 21, 2015
ipledge4:
thank you sur,If you see how other Africans idolizw nollywood...But be truth be told,nollywood dey Bleep up
we will get there soon. I see nollywood over taking all the cinemas worldwide.

(1) (Reply)

City Hunter & A Man Called God, Which Is More Interesting / What Will A Nigerian Superhero Be Like? / Nigeria GOT Talent Season 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.