Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,769 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Thermostats, Do we really need them :) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Thermostats, Do we really need them :) (12499 Views)

The Thermostat In Your Vehicle. Do You Really Need It? / Car Accidents: Some Facts And Statistics You Really Need To Know. / Please Help; I Really Need Your Help Especially Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 5:42pm On Oct 28, 2015
Am Less busy today and i want to talk about Thermostats smiley smiley
Am not in for Big Grammars but to explain thing's in the simple way i can wink

A thermostat is a component of a HVAC control system which senses the temperature of a system so that the system's temperature is maintained near a desired setpoint. The thermostat does this by switching heating or cooling devices on or off, or regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed, to maintain the correct temperature.

Thermostat in vehicles is very very important, A car gets to it's optimum operating temperature before the fan starts running, the fan will go off when the engine is running below it's optimum operating temperature
Advantages

1)Thermostat helps save fuel. How?? The Ecu will continue to send more fuel to the engine until it get's to it optimum operating temperature, a car without Thermostat will run rich because it will never get to its optimum operating temperature.

2)Your vehicle will run quietly. A guy in my neighborhood owns a 2006 c230, a very beautiful ride, but the car sounds like a jet airline, because the Fans are always running constantly,

3)Your Cooling fan lasts longer , because they don't run always

The thermostat is very important for your vehicle to run perfectly fine,
To does people with the belief that Nigeria is hot, there some states in the United States that are hotter and they use thermostats smiley

Some Reasons why Thermostats should be bypassed smiley

In Cars

1)I have seen some modified vehicles, a 4cylinder or 6 cylinder engine with Big Turbo's E.g Lancer Evo smiley wink, Supra, 1jz Benz 190, Nissan Gtr skyline, cool E.t.c
Does cars need to run as cool as possible because it's running some Heavy stuffs causing heat, i doubt if such ride's should use thermostats

2),overheating problems resulting from blown head Gaskets even after replacement Like obitee69, Such problems might have a solution for a short period of time by disconnecting the Thermostats, and running recommended coolants.

3) People with Cracked head cylinders With no money for replacement can bypass thermostat too grin wink

My Guru's in cartalk. Kingreign Gazzuzz nurey egunmogaji Kashif luvinhubby abatically sultaan e.t.c
I stand to be corrected

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 5:43pm On Oct 28, 2015
In Laptops

I use a Lenovo Think Pad T440p,4th Gen I7 processor and an Nvidia Card
It runs cool and normal It comes with an auto fan thermostat,But it being a Business/Rugged Machine you're allowed to manage the fan speed
The processor has a heat limit of 100c anything above its going to get fried,

When i run games like Gta V, Mad Max, Far cry , My laptop starts to get Hot Ranging from 80-90C

The fan Can speed up to 5400rpm, but wont exceed 3000rpm
when i disable the fan thermostat and run the fan at it 5400rpm max speed , the laptops becomes cool even under 100% load but you can hear the fan noise.

smiley smiley smiley
Fucck Thermostats angry

In our everyday hot weather here in Nigeria

Where the sun is really crazy, imagine your fan having a thermostat angry angry, lols
We always set the control to run at 5(Max Speed) to cool our head

The Thermostat Has it's Pros And Cons

6 Likes

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Whizpeter(m): 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2015
Hmmmm... Insightful...

And to think that a Diva composed this, I'm impressed...

MODIFIED
Its finally on FP after exactly 10months!!!!

10 Likes

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2015
Whizpeter:
Hmmmm... Insightful...

And to think that a Diva composed this, I'm impressed...

smileyThank You kiss
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by dradoyi(m): 7:21pm On Oct 28, 2015
Nice write up. From a lady. Soo impressed. Pls come join us in BMW forum on NL OR Whatsapp.. We will appreciate ur input.
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Denn(m): 9:44pm On Oct 28, 2015
Thermostat facts...

100% water cools an engine better than most coolant composition.

However, ordinary water does not possess any rust inhibiting property. Coolant also contains ingredients that lubricate the water pump.

An engine without a thermostat will not allow coolant to stay in the radiator to get cooled well enough; this implies that the engine temperature gets hotter and hotter till the vehicle overheats if in traffic. Conversely, the engine gets too cold during highway driving and encourages carbon build-up over time. This is in addition to the excessive fuel consumption.

Using a car without thermostat is akin to putting on an airconditioner and heater on at the same time...you burn more energy to get the required temperature...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by edoyad(m): 12:59pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nice one, the first thing many people do after purchasing their tokumbo is remove the thermostat. "Oyibo climate is cooler than our own so they need thermostat unike us " grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by ruby360: 10:22pm On Nov 05, 2015
I believe you Op.

An illiterate electrician nearly convinced me to remove mine permanently. I used it for 2 months and connected the thermostat back without further delay.

Thermostat saves you fuel and helps your fan last longer. Just make sure your water pump is ok and there is no water leakages from radiator.
Dirty radiator and faulty thermostat can cause over heating issues...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by lonelydora: 6:38am On Dec 10, 2015
I can't believe we still have intelligent girls in Nigeria. I am wowed. Well done.
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 10, 2015
Simply put, any internal combustion engine that is driven in the street needs a thermostat installed.

In racing applications one may remove the thermostat and use a special plug in place of it.

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by d33types: 8:30am On Dec 12, 2015
FestacGirl:

In Laptops

It runs cool and normal It comes with an auto fan thermostat,But it being a Business/Rugged Machine you're allowed to manage the fan speed

When i run games like Gta V, Mad Max, Far cry , My laptop starts to get Hot Ranging from 80-90C

when i disable the fan thermostat and run the fan at it 5400rpm max speed , the laptops becomes cool even under 100% load but you can hear the fan noise.

smiley smiley smiley
Fucck Thermostats angry

Where the sun is really crazy, imagine your fan having a thermostat angry angry, lols

This post got me cracking.. It doesn't follow at all.. A laptop performs better in lower temperature but a car doesn't always.for cars there is an optimum temperature.not too high or low

2 Likes

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 12, 2015
FestacGirl:

In Laptops

smiley smiley smiley
Fucck Thermostats angry

Your analogy no tap at all.
Cold is the preferred condition for laptop components. Reason there's a thermostat in the laptop to shut down the fan when not needed is to save battery life simple and not cos they want the laptop to heat up. I have a laptop that once it's on "ECO turbo battery mode" it shuts down the fan and 2 processors out of 4 processors hence longer battery duration but once u run a demanding app and it starts getting too hot the fan comes on.
For pressing iron for example heat is needed but not so much as to burn your clothes same applies to a car engine which is a thermodynamic engine.
Heat energy is what powers the car by changing to other forms of energy there's a threshold of that heat that must be maintained for optimum performance.
Once u remove ur Thermostat the engine runs cold hence requesting for more fuel and yet under powered.

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 11:11am On Dec 12, 2015
kokaneprodigy:

Your analogy no tap at all.
Cold is the preferred condition for laptop components. Reason there's a thermostat in the laptop to shut down the fan when not needed is to save battery life simple and not cos they want the laptop to heat up. I have a laptop that once it's on "ECO turbo battery mode" it shuts down the fan and 2 processors out of 4 processors hence longer battery duration but once u run a demanding app and it starts getting too hot the fan comes on.
For pressing iron for example heat is needed but not so much as to burn your clothes same applies to a car engine which is a thermodynamic engine.
Heat energy is what powers the car by changing to other forms of energy there's a threshold of that heat that must be maintained for optimum performance.
Once u remove ur Thermostat the engine runs cold hence requesting for more fuel and yet under powered.
d33types:

This post got me cracking.. It doesn't follow at all.. A laptop performs better in lower temperature but a car doesn't always.for cars there is an optimum temperature.not too high or low

i never talked about the laptop running best at cold or hot tempratures,
Laptops perform best at cold tempratures,

But when running some heavy heavy apps,
Sometimes, i have over 70tabs on chrome, minimised and also running a demanding game, using 90%cpu power and over 100% of my 16GB ram,

that laptop get's very hot and the fan starts spinning fast, But at the auto fan speed will never cool it down at such Load, it might reduce the temprature to 60-70degrees, but if i manually let the fan to 7, i get 48-54degrees,
Do you get my drift now , or you want me to open your head,

Auto fan control never exceeds 3400rpm but seting it manually will get you over 4600rpm....

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 11:29am On Dec 12, 2015
lonelydora:
I can't believe we still have intelligent girls in Nigeria. I am wowed. Well done.
Thanks for the compliment,
smiley smiley smiley
i appreciate

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by FestacGirl(f): 11:29am On Dec 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Simply put, any internal combustion engine that is driven in the street needs a thermostat installed.

In racing applications one may remove the thermostat and use a special plug in place of it.
Noted,
Thank you smiley
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Originalsly: 2:18am On Dec 13, 2015
Denn:
Thermostat facts...

100% water cools an engine better than most coolant composition.

Really? ... how can that be when water gets heated wayyyy faster than coolants? More important than anything else coolants have properties that prevent it from becoming heated quickly. It's like saying it is better to use water in a thermostat rather than alcohol....ever try freezing alcohol?
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Denn(m): 5:42pm On Dec 13, 2015
Originalsly:
Really? ... how can that be when water gets heated wayyyy faster than coolants? More important than anything else coolants have properties that prevent it from becoming heated quickly. It's like saying it is better to use water in a thermostat rather than alcohol....ever try freezing alcohol?

let me respond with a quote:

When we’re on the hot end of the temperature range, the much more important value in the cooling system is what’s called the specific heat capacity. The heat capacity is basically how much heat energy the coolant can carry out of the engine and to the radiator. As far as carrying heat goes, water does a really good job. It’s actually one of the most effective coolants that could possibly be used. The specific heat capacity of ethylene glycol is only about 65% of water at the temperatures seen in a cooling system. That means that to cool the engine by one degree, you would need about 50% more of it than straight water. So even though you could use pure antifreeze as a coolant, or any other liquid for that matter, you would need a bigger radiator and more robust cooling system compared to one that used straight water.

Here is what happens to heat capacity as our coolant mixture changes:

Water has the highest possible heat capacity.

The drawbacks of a 100% water cooling system is freezing during winter, rusts to the internal components plus lack of lubrication.

The thermostat of a car is still being made with metal and not Alcohol.

In addition, please note that Coolants are also known as ANTIFREEZE...and that's for a reason
http://hellafunctional.com/?p=629

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Originalsly: 5:46am On Dec 14, 2015
Technically. ..yes... water would absorb heat faster... the reason that it quickly reaches boiling point even before passing through the engine.Then it begins to evaporate. In reality... water does more harm than good when used as a coolant...reasons which you mentioned. In spite of all this... we should always try to use what the manufacturers prescribe.... and that's coolant.

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Milikiman: 7:51am On Dec 15, 2015
Thermostat work regardless of of it's environmental condition.in raining or harmatan season do u remove ya thermostat?if ya vehicle no get issue as op said there is no need.im talking frm experience
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by kentmartin: 8:13am On Aug 27, 2016
Yes, we do need thermostat. The main function of the thermostat is to maintain the operating temperature in your room, dwelling or car. Thermostat play an important role, therefore it needs to be maintained properly. It is advisable to call a wifi smart thermostat installation nj technician if your thermostat needs repair or maintenance.

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by xilixr: 6:54am On Aug 29, 2016
No
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by jazinogold(m): 6:54am On Aug 29, 2016
hmm...shakabula is d best! your room go warm my force!
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Temitope223(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2016
Nice post
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by sotall(m): 7:01am On Aug 29, 2016
k
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by tmanis(m): 7:17am On Aug 29, 2016
tonychristopher

1 Like

Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by jessetom(m): 7:47am On Aug 29, 2016
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 29, 2016
FestacGirl:

In Laptops

smiley smiley smiley
Fucck Thermostats angry

If you used you laptop in a very cool environment (AC in your room), you wouldn't need to disable the thermostat..
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by jessetom(m): 7:50am On Aug 29, 2016
FestacGirl:
Am Less busy today and i want to talk about Thermostats smiley smiley
Am not in for Big Grammars but to explain thing's in the simple way i can wink

A thermostat is a component of a HVAC control system which senses the temperature of a system so that the system's temperature is maintained near a desired setpoint. The thermostat does this by switching heating or cooling devices on or off, or regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed, to maintain the correct temperature.

Thermostat in vehicles is very very important, A car gets to it's optimum operating temperature before the fan starts running, the fan will go off when the engine is running below it's optimum operating temperature
Advantages

1)Thermostat helps save fuel. How?? The Ecu will continue to send more fuel to the engine until it get's to it optimum operating temperature, a car without Thermostat will run rich because it will never get to its optimum operating temperature.

2)Your vehicle will run quietly. A guy in my neighborhood owns a 2006 c230, a very beautiful ride, but the car sounds like a jet airline, because the Fans are always running constantly,

3)Your Cooling fan lasts longer , because they don't run always

The thermostat is very important for your vehicle to run perfectly fine,
To does people with the belief that Nigeria is hot, there some states in the United States that are hotter and they use thermostats smiley

Some Reasons why Thermostats should be bypassed smiley

In Cars

1)I have seen some modified vehicles, a 4cylinder or 6 cylinder engine with Big Turbo's E.g Lancer Evo smiley wink, Supra, 1jz Benz 190, Nissan Gtr skyline, cool E.t.c
Does cars need to run as cool as possible because it's running some Heavy stuffs causing heat, i doubt if such ride's should use thermostats

2),overheating problems resulting from blown head Gaskets even after replacement Like obitee69, Such problems might have a solution for a short period of time by disconnecting the Thermostats, and running recommended coolants.

3) People with Cracked head cylinders With no money for replacement can bypass thermostat too grin wink

My Guru's in cartalk. Kingreign Gazzuzz nurey egunmogaji Kashif luvinhubby abatically sultaan e.t.c
I stand to be corrected

So OP what's the argument here. I can't see any
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by miqos02(m): 7:51am On Aug 29, 2016
d
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 29, 2016
Thermostats are there for a purpose, to ensure that your vehicle reaches the optimum running temperature.

As long as the thermostats operates well, your vehicle shouldn't overheat.

Overheating could be caused by dirty coolant, bad fans, wrong ignition timing , weak coils etc.

It is always important to diagnose the cause of the overheating removing the thermostat is a short term solution.

Water is not a good coolant for today's engines, temperatures go over 100c which is boiling of water.

Your coolant can go well above 100c and it needs to go over 100c to be effective, coolant wot cause your pipes to rust.

my advice, leave your coolant alone!!! cool
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by coachwilcox(m): 8:24am On Aug 29, 2016
This post is so apt. My Nissan Xterra 2004 overheats in heavy traffic. The mechanics have recommended that I remove the thermostat but all educated mechanics have kicked against it. Due to the fact that it was put there for a reason. To get the engine to optimum operation temperature.

Therefore I guess I have to replace it because it may not be functioning well enough to open up and cool the engine when it approached overheating temperature.
Re: Thermostats, Do we really need them :) by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 29, 2016
Well i have beein driving my homda civic for the past two years without thermostat; So far so good there are no any issue

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Car's MPG Reading? / Best 20W50 Engine Oil / Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.