Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,027 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL (18770 Views)

1.5L, 1.8L, 3.0L Engine? What Do They Mean In Cars? / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / 1000km Journey Using A 1.5L Petrol Engine Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by kingreign(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2015
nurey:

Depends on what vehicle my notion is contemplating, don't get smart lomomike lol.

I wish you luck contemplating yourebin an Aston martin V12 and you wanna race even a nissan sentra SE-R spec V with your Nissan sunny.

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 11:21am On Nov 02, 2015
kingreign:

I wish you luck contemplating yourebin an Aston martin V12 and you wanna race even a nissan sentra SE-R spec V with your Nissan sunny.

it's not a sunny bro, it's an ALMERA, please respect her. Also how do you know my almera has not been NISMONISED, lol.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by DGD1(m): 1:12pm On Nov 02, 2015
nurey:

it's not a sunny bro, it's an ALMERA, please respect her. Also how do you know my almera has not been NISMONISED, lol.

if yuh lyk get her DEMONIZED, (with speed demon).
A sunny will be a sunny (in kingreign's voice)

NB: as Oga call ur car sunny, who am I to say it's an almera, yuh get luck he didn't call it a micra

5 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by cardoctor(m): 1:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
Ok. Safe journey.

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by youngice(m): 2:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
nurey:
Please Gurus in the House, does this calculation work if a distance is 1000km and you are driving 200km/h. if you divided 1000km by 200km you get 5, does that mean if am in a bugatti, doing 200km/h then I will cover the whole 1000km in just 5 hours. Gurus, over to you
Theoretically yes, practically no,
Firstly your car doesn't start at 200km/h , it will take a few seconds but if the road is perfectly straightforward and you remove every other variable the it is possible

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Jakumo(m): 7:40pm On Nov 02, 2015
youngice:

Theoretically yes, practically no,
Firstly your car doesn't start at 200km/h , it will take a few seconds but if the road is perfectly straightforward and you remove every other variable the it is possible

Many moons ago, the highway linking Nigeria's federal capital Abuja, northbound to Kaduna was smooth as glass, and arrow straight, for as far as the eye could see, stretching out to the distant horizon. I have no idea what Nigeria's answer to Germany's Autobahn looks like these days, but if the rest of the country's highways are anything to go by, the era of high performance rich men's cars testing their maximum speed en-route to Kaduna may well be over, at least for the forseeable future.

Something tells me that our man Nurey, who started this discussion, is only engaging in a whimsical theoretical exercise to explore and debate the variables, both tangible and abstract, which contribute to limiting the maximum speed attainable by a "regular" car, fitted with a "tame", un-modified 4-banger engine. Possibly there is no real trip planned at all, yet, the discussion is still worth thrashing out over a beer or two.

Also, it is always informative to hear a few sage words from long-time Nairaland auto gurus like Sienna, who I note has been diplomatic as usual, in letting th OP know that a regular production 4-cylinder engine would sooner blow up and spew a shower of metal fragments, than run for any length of time over 80 mph on a warm day.

4 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 8:20pm On Nov 02, 2015
Jakumo:

Many moons ago, the highway linking Nigeria's federal capital Abuja, northbound to Kaduna was smooth as glass, and arrow straight, for as far as the eye could see, stretching out to the distant horizon. I have no idea what Nigeria's answer to Germany's Autobahn looks like these days, but if the rest of the country's highways are anything to go by, the era of high performance rich men's cars testing their maximum speed en-route to Kaduna may well be over, at least for the forseeable future.

Something tells me that our man Nurey, who started this discussion, is only engaging in a whimsical theoretical exercise to explore and debate the variables, both tangible and abstract, which contribute to limiting the maximum speed attainable by a "regular" car, fitted with a "tame", un-modified 4-banger engine. Possibly there is no real trip planned at all, yet, the discussion is still worth thrashing out over a beer or two.

Also, it is always informative to hear a few sage words from long-time Nairaland auto gurus like Sienna, who I note has been dimplomatic as usual, in letting th OP know that a regular production 4-cylinder engine would sooner blow up and spew a shower of metal fragments, than run for any length of time over 80 mph on a warm day.

This your school of thought nah wire. It seem you hav not even passed through that road at all caus I don't know the need for doubting me, are u a doubting Thomas lol.

if you have actually trasversed through that road then you should know you can test/finish you speedo in certain length of the highway in so many instances OSUN to ONDO, daura expressway which is extremely long infact you could hold your 220km/hr for 20 minutes on a good day.

I am indeed planning this trip and at the same time my major priority Is to become a MAN and move away from my safe zone and enjoy life a little. My major objective is to reach my end point safe and sound all those chest beating am doing is cause I play too much NFS where a mere golf GTR can dust a corvette. I am sane enough that even among 4bangers mine is just a pretty onlooker.

2 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Jakumo(m): 8:40pm On Nov 02, 2015
nurey:

This your school of thought nah wire. It seem you hav not even passed through that road at all caus I don't know the need for doubting me, are u a doubting Thomas lol.

if you have actually trasversed through that road then you should know you can test/finish you speedo in certain length of the highway in so many instances OSUN to ONDO, daura expressway which is extremely long infact you could hold your 220km/hr for 20 minutes on a good day.

I am indeed planning this trip and at the same time my major priority Is to become a MAN and move away from my safe zone and enjoy life a little. My major objective is to reach my end point safe and sound all those chest beating am doing is cause I play too much NFS where a mere golf GTR can dust a corvette. I am sane enough that even among 4bangers mine is just a pretty onlooker.

Oga Nurey, I feel sad that my beloved V8 engine is so badly misunderstood by Nigerian car owners. The truth is that a well designed and maintained V8 engine will stabilize a roadworthy car at speeds well in excess of 100 mph for hours on end, without the need for the driver to apply more than say about 60% full power, or for the engine RPM to exceed 3,500 RPM, which is well below red-line for most V8 engines.

For a 4-cylinder engine to break that 100 mph barrier on an identical stretch of highway, the throttle pedal will need to be stomped FULLY to the metal floor, with the engine laboring at the upper limit of its RPM capabilities, and the cooling system severely over-taxed, just to try and get within visual range of a well tuned V8-powered car that is merely out on a leisurely cruise.

In a nutshell, while a regular production 4-cylinder engine will get a car moving fast eventually, it will take a comparatively long time to build up that speed, which will also drop off dramatically if a gradual but prolonged uphill incline in the highway is encountered. A V8-powered car, by contrast, will sail effortlessly past all other cars of lesser engine displacement, when steep and prolonged inclines in the road put vehicles to the ultimate endurance and power test.

4 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Denn(m): 10:06pm On Nov 02, 2015
^^^^^ your writings remind me of Jonathan Swift.

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 5:26am On Nov 03, 2015
Jakumo:

Oga Nurey, I feel sad that my beloved V8 engine is so badly misunderstood by Nigerian car owners. The truth is that a well designed and maintained V8 engine will stabilize a roadworthy car at speeds well in excess of 100 mph for hours on end, without the need for the driver to apply more than say about 60% full power, or for the engine RPM to exceed 3,500 RPM, which is well below red-line for most V8 engines.

For a 4-cylinder engine to break that 100 mph barrier on an identical stretch of highway, the throttle pedal will need to be stomped FULLY to the metal floor, with the engine laboring at the upper limit of its RPM capabilities, and the cooling system severely over-taxed, just to try and get within visual range of a well tuned V8-powered car that is merely out on a leisurely cruise.

In a nutshell, while a regular production 4-cylinder engine will get a car moving fast eventually, it will take a comparatively long time to build up that speed, which will also drop off dramatically if a gradual but prolonged uphill incline in the highway is encountered. A V8-powered car, by contrast, will sail effortlessly past all other cars of lesser engine displacement, when steep and prolonged inclines in the road put vehicles to the ultimate endurance and power test.

I have driven a V8 and I know how powerful the engine is attested by my thread, test drive of the American beast. So I know how easy a V8 can make your effort to dust it futile

practised with a full size lincoln navigator 32intech V8, 0 to 62mph in the 8 seconds mark fast for its sheer weight

2 Likes

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by king406(m): 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2015
Jakumo:

your write up is well said sir. But there are very good four cylinder engines out there. I came back from kano state to abuja yesterday with a 2008 camry I4 cruising at 110mph. This is a car I've never driven before but am telling u I'm really impressed with its performance, I'm not saying it's quicker than a v8 but it's acceleration is high above average amongst mid size saloons with I4 engines, on a scale of 0-10 i'll score it a 7 on acceleration. The rpm was clocked at 3500rpm at 110mph and the car was planted on the road. In a situation where I had to slow down to about 70mph, u will think the car will take some time to accelerate back to 110mph but no, I kick the pedal to the metal and the rpm flies up to 6000rpm and within seconds, I'm back to my normal speed, one can mistake that I4 engine for a v6.. just saying.. I'm not a Japanese fan but I have to say I'm really impressed.

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by edoyad(m): 3:59pm On Nov 03, 2015
king406:
your write up is well said sir. But there are very good four cylinder engines out there. I came back from kano state to abuja yesterday with a 2008 camry I4 cruising at 110mph. This is a car I've never driven before but am telling u I'm really impressed with its performance, I'm not saying it's quicker than a v8 but it's acceleration is high above average amongst mid size saloons with I4 engines, on a scale of 0-10 i'll score it a 7 on acceleration. The rpm was clocked at 3500rpm at 110mph and the car was planted on the road. In a situation where I had to slow down to about 70mph, u will think the car will take some time to accelerate back to 110mph but no, I kick the pedal to the metal and the rpm flies up to 6000rpm and within seconds, I'm back to my normal speed, one can mistake that I4 engine for a v6.. just saying.. I'm not a Japanese fan but I have to say I'm really impressed.

I can't speak for all Japanese four pistons, but as for any Toyota i4 after 2006 , I concur 100%. In fact driving at 160km/hr in a 2007 camry feels normal. You don't hear the engine labouring or experience any temperature spikes and it rides smooth at that speed. At 180km/hr however, you could start to feel like not going beyond that point

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by kingreign(m): 4:36pm On Nov 03, 2015
edoyad:

I can't speak for all Japanese four pistons, but as for any Toyota i4 after 2006 , I concur 100%. In fact driving at 160km/hr in a 2007 camry feels normal. You don't hear the engine labouring or experience any temperature spikes and it rides smooth at that speed. At 180km/hr however, you could start to feel like not going beyond that point

Same goes for the altima 2,5s

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 03, 2015
Nurey should be sleeping by now.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 9:50pm On Nov 03, 2015
Bossforeva:
Nurey should be sleeping by now.
Not yet, my journey has been delayed by a day due to last minute preparation.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 8:04pm On Nov 04, 2015
I have done all the necessary checks and done my due deligence, I now commit my journey into the hands of God, I have faith that I will reach my destination in good time and good health, May my journey be fruitful, AMIN

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by mayor2013: 8:34pm On Nov 04, 2015
nurey:
I have done all the necessary checks and done my due deligence, I now commit my journey into the hands of God, I have faith that I will reach my destination in good time and good health, May my journey be fruitful, AMIN

Amen
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by aieromon(m): 11:31pm On Nov 04, 2015
Leave early and stay alert!!!!

Have fun
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by peterjero(m): 2:50am On Nov 05, 2015
Keep us updated
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 6:26am On Nov 05, 2015
Entered pot hole at ibadan, I was really lucky one bent rim, but others were not, they had two spoilt tyres, will need to help them get to town. Allihamdullilah

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:15am On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:
Entered pot hole at ibadan, I was really lucky one bent rim, but others were not, they had two spoilt tyres, will need to help them get to town. Allihamdullilah

Avoid potholes with all your life! I entered one once and lost two tires as well as bent a steel rim in one fell swoop, but thank God it did nothing to the alloy rim, front left and front rear.

Ever since then, I will rather crawl in and out than fly through them.

My advice for any pothole infested road like the ibadan route and the okene route is keep speeds below 80 km/hr so you can maneuver, once you meet sleek routes you can speed up to compensate for lost time, its better than having to stop your journey entirely.

I should have told you this, but I was too busy, for my first such trip, I carried not one but two spare tires, it makes sense, because should you lose a tire on the road, the roadside vulcanizer can charge you as much as 5,000.00 to 10,000.00 for a used tire and since you are out of luck, you might have to patronize him afterall

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:
you mean another person driving through that route has two spoilt tires or U urself? I understand u typed out of haste anyway.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 10:07am On Nov 05, 2015
At Osun just after passing OAU, I stopped to ask for directions to ondo, noticed the front rim had also bent again. Bought Akara and bread at mania filling station as my break fast, come and eat.

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 10:09am On Nov 05, 2015
Bossforeva:
you mean another person driving through that route has two spoilt tires or U urself? I understand u typed out of haste anyway.

I had only one tire flat due to bent rim my tire was ok, a camry pencil lost 2 tires and bent rim, while 03-07 corolla lost two tires no bent rim.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by salvo583: 10:24am On Nov 05, 2015
edoyad:

What will u now say about the altima 2.5?? It will do more than what has being analysed about the camry
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by BTT(m): 10:48am On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

I had only one tire flat due to bent rim my tire was ok, a camry pencil lost 2 tires and bent rim, while 03-07 corolla lost two tires no bent rim.

The LORD go with you nurey.

Safe trip.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by salvo583: 11:12am On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:
sorry abt that.. Abeg deh go jejely. Na person weh reach hin destination them deh ask how e journey be. Avoid potholes baba mi. The ife- ondo road has double and reverse curves.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by salvo583: 11:13am On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:
sorry abt that.. Abeg deh go jejely. Na person weh reach hin destination them deh ask how e journey be. Avoid potholes baba mi. The ife- ondo road has compound and reverse curves.
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
That akara nah wrong move, but you would have found out by now.

How did you get to oau? That's a wrong route.

1 Like

Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by Homguy(m): 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:
At Osun just after passing OAU, I stopped to ask for directions to ondo, noticed the front rim had also bent again. Bought Akara and bread at mania filling station as my break fast, come and eat.
you should have taken a left diversion at Oduduwa University tho, that's faster and straight forward except you want to see Ife town. BTW, help hail great Ife, best school in the world. grin grin Ever articulate, ever conscious, ever shi won, ever pa won. cool
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by nurey(m): 7:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
That akara nah wrong move, but you would have found out by now.

How did you get to oau? That's a wrong route.

I never touched the bread, ate only the Akara and am ok, I don't know where I went wrong but I lost the way so far that I even entered akure town. The roads were not kind to me
Re: 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL by salvo583: 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2015
nurey:

I never touched the bread, ate only the Akara and am ok, I don't know where I went wrong but I lost the way so far that I even entered akure town. The roads were not kind to me
Kpele oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Car Accidents: Some Facts And Statistics You Really Need To Know. / Easy Tips And Tricks Every Driver Should Know (pics) / Police Or VIO: Who Should Check Road Worthiness Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.