Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,959 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

"MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" (27676 Views)

Mtn In Another $4.2 Bn Mess / MTN In Fresh Trouble, Fined $8.5million / N1.4trn Penalty Too Heavy To Bear – MTN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by undercurrent(m): 8:32pm On Oct 28, 2015
According to a report, Senior executives at the company, who are in Nigeria to meet with the regulator to discuss the fine, will decide on whether to make changes to senior management, which is headed by local Chief Executive Officer Michael Ikpoki.

Nigeria’s telecommunications regulator has fined South African mobile giant MTN $5.2 billion for missing a deadline to disconnect unregistered SIM cards, the company announced on Monday. The penalty saw shares in Africa’s largest telecommunications company crash more than 12 percent to 167 rand on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, the biggest fall the firm has suffered in a day since November 1998.

This may not be unconnected with the $5.2 billion to the telecom operator by the country’s telecommunications regulator for failing to disconnect customers with unregistered SIM cards, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Meanwhile, Ikpoki and MTN’s main spokesman at its head office in Johannesburg, who were called to confirm the development, declined to comment on the matter, but the spokeswoman for MTN Nigeria, Chineze Gbenga-Oluwatoye, was quoted as saying, ‘‘We know of no such thing.

According to reports, MTN shares have declined by about 19 percent this week in Johannesburg, the biggest three-day drop since 2008, valuing the company at about 288 billion rand ($21 billion).
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had at the weekend slammed N1.4 trillion penalty on the Nigerian largest telecom operator for missing a deadline to disconnect 5.1 million subscribers.

The company’s stock was also said to have declined 2.6 percent to 155.85 rand at the close of work yesterday, the lowest since October 2012.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/n1-4trn-fine-mtn-in-moves-to-change-nigerian-management-team/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Mistermamus(m): 8:49pm On Oct 28, 2015
Milking us dry yeye network. Fine or no fine dey still have there way

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by lekjons(m): 9:04pm On Oct 28, 2015
Despite our hatred, most of us still uses MTN.
They really tried.

What i found annoying about them was the spam msgs, deducting your credit even when you have a valid subscribtion, automatic subscribtion(quotes, caller tunes e.t.c)

i believe they were doing all those because they didn't have a reasonable rival/competitor, which they'd find a threat.

Etisalat, Glo, Airtel all of them has their demerits..

May God help us..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by lekjons(m): 9:06pm On Oct 28, 2015
this won't make fp in time..undecided

since it isn't Cossy's boobsundecided

22 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by undercurrent(m): 9:29pm On Oct 28, 2015
lekjons:
this won't make fp in time..undecided

since it isn't Cossy's boobsundecided

omo cossy don block traffic o

2 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Nonybb: 9:56pm On Oct 28, 2015
This news is so great

4 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Chidexter(m): 10:14pm On Oct 28, 2015
Hmmm.

Na we go suffer am o.

Make i quickly port

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Panshow(m): 10:20pm On Oct 28, 2015
They should change their name

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 28, 2015
They should close down the company sef.

To all MTN subscribers, keep recharging your mtn sim on your own peril.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by sats: 11:02pm On Oct 28, 2015
buhari: money for one third of our 2016 budget don set, their father

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by mojeed4(m): 6:40am On Oct 29, 2015
Omo... I hope say dem no go reduce the number of people wey go receive their scholarship award this year o...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 29, 2015
If they are not strategizing ways to make customers pay this fine already, then they will soon appeal in court. Association of retired con men

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by MosquitoLaps(m): 7:25am On Oct 29, 2015
I know they're misbehaving, but trillions?! Haba! That's too much for a fine na. You want to chase away potential foreign investors?
In fact, NCC must be probed!

13 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by kennyman2000(m): 7:54am On Oct 29, 2015
Hmmmmmm
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by uwa1(m): 7:54am On Oct 29, 2015
If not for our brothers and sisters who has earned a living through them (either by being employed by them or direct and indirect business with them) and also the positive effect on our economy.... I would ve suggested NCC to send them to extinction for their dubious ways... NCC abeg temper Justice with mercy, after all u all are alike... (MTN = Politicians)

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by kulobyno: 7:54am On Oct 29, 2015
Chai that money no be beans walahi. Even a big oil company will sweat after paying that fine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by lonelydora: 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
They should remember "Local Content" in all their dealings.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Sijo01(f): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
They should pay up the fine already

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Kx: 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Pay back time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by bunmioguns(m): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
undecided
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by moyinoluwabun(m): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
They didn't sack management team when they were raping us of our hard earned money to purchase of credit cards/data. Can anything good even come out from MTN? Good for nothing network.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by florence15(f): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Portin things.

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by kullozone(m): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Nice one... I get bad belle for mtn.

They be clearing people's airtime to enable them pay the fine
Mtcheew... With yeye customer service that can never solve any problem.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by damiloladuke: 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
they will leave Nigeria at last ni

Awon xenophobic thief

How can I have 250# and that stupid MTN lady is telling my account balance is too low

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 29, 2015
Our land, our rules.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by eagleonearth(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2015
MTN should pay that fine. This is a way of also getting a fraction out of the fortunes this telecom giant is carting away from nigeria. I bet there must have been other operators who failed to meet the deadline but the fact remains that MTN is so much hated by every well-meaning nigerian. MTN is an unscrupulous thief. Remember the days of "send go to 33.." and 100 will disappear just like dt. After the re-registration of my sim recently, they credited 500 to me which I could not check the balance. That airtime could not call up to 4mins and got exhausted. I can go on and on to state how this operator has dealt with Nigerians like me. If not for the popularity and engagement of my line which have lasted for over 11 yrs, I would have ported a long time ago.

9 Likes

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Creamz(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2015
NCC who will these monies go to wyen you eventually win the case. Cos i want my share
Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 29, 2015
undercurrent:
According to a report, Senior executives at the company, who are in Nigeria to meet with the regulator to discuss the fine, will decide on whether to make changes to senior management, which is headed by local Chief Executive Officer Michael Ikpoki.

Nigeria’s telecommunications regulator has fined South African mobile giant MTN $5.2 billion for missing a deadline to disconnect unregistered SIM cards, the company announced on Monday. The penalty saw shares in Africa’s largest telecommunications company crash more than 12 percent to 167 rand on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, the biggest fall the firm has suffered in a day since November 1998.

This may not be unconnected with the $5.2 billion to the telecom operator by the country’s telecommunications regulator for failing to disconnect customers with unregistered SIM cards, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Meanwhile, Ikpoki and MTN’s main spokesman at its head office in Johannesburg, who were called to confirm the development, declined to comment on the matter, but the spokeswoman for MTN Nigeria, Chineze Gbenga-Oluwatoye, was quoted as saying, ‘‘We know of no such thing.

According to reports, MTN shares have declined by about 19 percent this week in Johannesburg, the biggest three-day drop since 2008, valuing the company at about 288 billion rand ($21 billion).
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had at the weekend slammed N1.4 trillion penalty on the Nigerian largest telecom operator for missing a deadline to disconnect 5.1 million subscribers.

The company’s stock was also said to have declined 2.6 percent to 155.85 rand at the close of work yesterday, the lowest since October 2012.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/n1-4trn-fine-mtn-in-moves-to-change-nigerian-management-team/
you you mean say MTN don dey turn to formal nitel

1 Like

Re: "MTN In Moves To Change Nigerian Management Team Over N1.4trn Fine" by donbabade: 7:56am On Oct 29, 2015
This calls for celebration.
I'm happy at mtn's misfortune cos they re corrupt. They think it is past administration era where they bribe our senators and rob us blind. They tend to get away with a lot of atrocities. I remember a senator losing her seat because she whistleblowed on mtn

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 10T (65,400) Vs TECNO Spark 7p (60,900) Which Should U Buy? (photos) / Glo Launches 'Glo Bolt' Super-fast Internet Modem / Recommend A Phone Of ₦150k - ₦170k With Mad Specs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.