Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation (20549 Views)

Police Deploy More Officers To South-East, S’south; To Stop Kanu From Fleeing / Hameed Ali Orders Customs Officers To Declare Assets In 14 Days / Buhari, Osinbajo Declare Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by shaddoww: 5:51am On Oct 31, 2015
The Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) has ordered all its serving officers to declare their assets, The Nation has learnt.

The directive came just as the service retired 29 senior officers in addition to five others whose voluntary retirements were announced on Thursday.

The Nation investigation revealed that all officers from the first bar were directed to collect their asset declaration forms from their zonal offices with a view to determining the property they have illegally acquired.

Sources close to the service told our correspondent yesterday that any officer who made a false financial declaration would be detected through their bank verification numbers (BVNs) recently introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

More heads, a source said, will roll after the completion of the exercise.

The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of NCS, Mr. Wale Adeniyi, said in a statement yesterday that the retirement of 29 officers was part of the efforts of the new Comptroller-General (CG), Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) to re-position the service for greater efficiency and productivity.

Ali was appointed through a press release issued by the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, following the voluntary retirement of the immediate past CG, Alhaji Dikko Abdullahi.

The Nation had exclusively reported yesterday that five Deputies Comptroller-General of Customs (DCGs) had voluntarily retired from the service.

The three core mandates given to Ali by President Muhammmadu Buhari immediately he was appointed was to increase revenue generation, restructure Customs and reform the service.

A senior official of the Federal Ministry of Finance, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said the retirement of the five DCGs, John Atte, Ibrahim Mera, Musa Tahir, Austin Nwosu and Akinade Adewuyi on Thursday, with another 29 senior officers yesterday, was part of the anti-corruption crusade of the new CG.

The official said: “Some of these officers have to go because of their super-rich status. Most of them and their immediate families live in questionable wealth that may still need to be investigated by the government.

“These are part of the stringent steps by the new Customs boss to sanitise and clean up the Service which has been plagued with strong allegations of corruption in the past.

“The CGC had vowed to embark on house cleansing in order to rid the service of corrupt officers and men.

“Although no organisation in Nigeria is corruption-free, the bad eggs in the service have tainted the rest as corrupt.”

In his statement, Adeniyi said three Assistant Comptrollers-General (ACGs) were affected in the ongoing re-organization exercise in the service.

The officers, according to the image maker, are the Secretary to the Nigeria Customs Board, Madu Mohammed; Zonal Coordinator Zone ‘A’, Victor Gbemudu and ACG (Headquarters) Bello Liman.

The rest, according to him, are of the rank of Comptroller serving in Customs headquarters, zonal offices and various area commands.

“The re-organization of the Service is one of the core mandates of the Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd).

“The retirements were part of measures to kick-start the repositioning of the Service for improved performance,” Adeniyi said.

Also, a serving senior Customs officer told The Nation on Saturday on condition of anonymity that the service will experience more retirement, mass sack and demotion of officers and men because of those that were earlier promoted in questionable circumstances.

Addressing reporters at the Customs Training School in Ikeja during his official visit to Lagos, Ali had said that he had been informed about irregular promotion, posting and recruitment in the service over the years.

He said: “In every conversation and meeting with my men, I have told them that I realised that there are so many anomalies as regard their posting, promotion and recruitment.

“We will set up a committee to review the whole thing. Where people have not been promoted for no fault of theirs, we will address it. And where people have been promoted based on godfatherism, we will review it.

“Where people have refused to go to courses because they think they are sitting on a desk where they make some ‘egunje’ we know what to do. There are so many internal things that I don’t need to come out and start reeling out because we have taken note of all this, and I and my senior management have resolved to look at this and we will ensure that there is equity and justice in the service.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/customs-orders-officers-to-declare-assets/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by ORACLE1975(m): 5:54am On Oct 31, 2015
Good

6 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Pavore9: 5:57am On Oct 31, 2015
High blood pressure!

25 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Pavore9: 5:59am On Oct 31, 2015
@shaddoww, edit the post for an easy read by arranging them in paragraphs and adding the source of the story.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by modath(f): 6:01am On Oct 31, 2015
Nigeria customs service officers if they pool resources can bailout Nigeria if they really want to. smiley

They've turned themselves into parallel import duties collectors... Harassing returning travelers join. undecided

53 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by jomoh: 6:07am On Oct 31, 2015
Its high time those thieves knew that there's a new sheriff in town.

15 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by vanhelsing2099(m): 6:11am On Oct 31, 2015
I don't usually comment but when I do . . . . . LMC or I'll kill masef
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Ballmer: 6:11am On Oct 31, 2015
Now that is fighting corruption. WailerS more wailing for your sorrow till 2019 hopefully.

39 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Ngasky(m): 6:12am On Oct 31, 2015
payback time
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Soneh(m): 6:14am On Oct 31, 2015
asset declaration in nigeria is a huge joke.Reminds me of buhari and his asset declaration

7 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Aufbauh(m): 6:15am On Oct 31, 2015
Interesting, how i wish my landlord who is a highly placed custom officer (currently an ACG) will just do the needful and hand over the property document to me as a gift to ease his burden of explanations to the garrison commander Col. Hameed Ali.
# just thinking aloud though

I learnt that some of the properties of Mr Musa Tahir DCG Auction has been confiscated and his account frozen.....

I doubt this exercise will yield the needed results as most custom officers don't keep money in the bank, they prefer to convert naira cash to dollars and hoard it at home. Again most of them buy properties by proxy in the name of a relation.

18 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by chinchum(m): 6:22am On Oct 31, 2015
I am really interested in a drastic increase in revenue generation !.

I want to see reforms in FIRS TOO. Revenue must increase. Nigeria must pool out funds to finance the nation in uncommon ways, the fall in oil price will last for a while, and it is a blessing disguising as disappointment in the Buhari administration.

The honeymoon period should be over, by the end of November, all ministers would have settled down, and acclimatised with their ministries. The 2016 budget is critical, the next 3 years must be revolutionary.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by kokozain(m): 6:23am On Oct 31, 2015
This is becoming more interesting!
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Firefire(m): 6:30am On Oct 31, 2015
modath:

Nigeria customs service officers if they pool resources can bailout Nigeria if they really want to. smiley

They've turned themselves into parallel import duties collectors... Harassing returning travelers join. undecided

Only Tinubu, Amaechi or Bukola Saraki can single handedly bail Nigeria out.

Buhary should approach them for soft/hard loan to run the country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Ayoemrys(m): 6:31am On Oct 31, 2015
grin original headache for corupt custom

1 Like

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by themilanway(m): 6:36am On Oct 31, 2015
Soneh:
asset declaration in nigeria is a huge joke.Reminds me of buhari and his asset declaration

Shut up and stop embarrassing youself.

21 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Firefire(m): 6:36am On Oct 31, 2015
chinchum:
I am really interested in a drastic increase in revenue generation !.

I want to see reforms in FIRS TOO. Revenue must increase. Nigeria must pool out funds to finance the nation in uncommon ways, the fall in oil price will last for a while, and it is a blessing disguising as disappointment in the Buhari administration.

The honeymoon period should be over, by the end of November, all ministers would have settled down, and acclimatised with their ministries. The 2016 budget is critical, the next 3 years must be revolutionary.

How can revenue increase when the currently generated revenue are being diverted by the people in charge?

If revenue will increase, don't you know it is the ordinary Nigerians that will pay the increase ?

If FIRS increase its drive for compliance without first blocking all the present loopholes, you will see all businesses in Nigeria applying 5 percent VAT and the prices of goods and services will increase across the country which will then fuel hyperinflation.

The govt. should first address the issue of revenue diversion before thinking of making any attempt to increase Nigerians burden and suffering.

Shalom!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 31, 2015
Firefire:

Buhary should approach them for soft/hard loan to run the country.
This is not the FireFire i used to know..What happened to your objectivity

13 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by modath(f): 6:40am On Oct 31, 2015
Firefire:

Buhary should approach them for soft/hard loan to run Nigeria.

You are consistent in your angst sha cheesy

Diezani or Akpabio or even Tompolo are options as well.

15 Likes

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:41am On Oct 31, 2015
Very soon shoemakers will declare asset....
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Firefire(m): 6:43am On Oct 31, 2015
olatunji21:

This is not the FireFire i used to know..What happened to your objectivity

On loan.
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Firefire(m): 6:54am On Oct 31, 2015
modath:

You are consistent in your angst sha cheesy

Diezani or Akpabio or even Tompolo are options as well.

I hate seeing corrupt individuals playing bado, all the mentioned names could as well loan Boohary some fund to administer this country.

Assets declaration is now a complete show of shame after the under-declared assets by Boohary & Pastor Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

No value was placed on their declared assets, no mention of their liabilities, (not even the 27Million Naira Loan collected by Buhary to obtain his nomination form).

Ministers under Buhary who have corruptly enriched themselves from their respective states and past appointments are also not obliged to declare their assets publicly.

What a departure from the promised CHANGE ?

APC Promised change is hoax and scam.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by kimond101: 7:16am On Oct 31, 2015
Even Standards organisation of Nigeria officers are asked to declare their assets.
I think is all government officials.

1 Like

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by modath(f): 7:17am On Oct 31, 2015
Firefire:

What a departure from the promised CHANGE ?

APC Promise change is hoax and scam.

When will you to terms with the fact that Jona is gone & never coming back? cheesy

You didn't buy into scam now, ehn ehn just continue to look fondly at your PVC against next election. smiley

Just keep praying & fasting hard that our mono export commodity of crude will not get back to the 100$+ band that your inept hero enjoyed in his reign & still was a monumental failure...

Also ask God to kibbutz the plans of diversifying the export & economy so that you can continue to rejoice & say with glee to people who got tired of the 16yr misrule of the most corrupt killer party in Africa .."Yo, i told you so" smiley

Even if PDP transposed into a part of APC,.they never had a PMB which was the game CHANGEr

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Firefire(m): 7:25am On Oct 31, 2015
modath:

When will you to terms with the fact that Jona is gone & never coming back? cheesy

You didn't buy into scam now, ehn ehn just continue to look fondly at your PVC against next election. smiley

Just keep praying & fasting hard that our mono export commodity of crude will not get back to the 100$+ band that your inept hero enjoyed in his reign & still was a monumental failure...

Also ask God to kibbutz the plans of diversifying the export & economy so that you can continue to rejoice & say with glee to people who got tired of the 16yr misrule of the most corrupt killer party in Africa .."Yo, i told you so" smiley

Even if PDP transposed into a part of APC,.they never had a PMB which was the game CHANGEr

Ki lo kan lemomu pelu itan aja ?

Yes GEJ is gone.

But we must come to reality that APC is the newest scam in town, promising heaven on earth and denying everything thereafter.

If Buhary Ministers will not declare their assets publicly as promised by Gen. Mohamodu Buari during his campaign, then Buary himself is a fraudster.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by kokoA(m): 7:46am On Oct 31, 2015
Thesse custom men can sha have money ehn.

1 Like

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by LouisVanGaal(m): 7:55am On Oct 31, 2015
Firefire, stop embarrassing yourself! It's too early for this nuisance...Buhari said he would compel his ministers to declare their asset; and you EVEN posted a newspaper pic to that statement in another thread..
No where did that paper suggest that its gonna be done publicly..
The Ministers didn't object about declaring their asset to CCB...so why u killing yourself
After all neither did your 'HERO' nor his ministers declare their own in the last admin..
Wake up and get off this bitterness...
Any little thing.....you cry...'Is this the change we were promised'?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by Berrylite: 7:55am On Oct 31, 2015
Am kind of beginning to enjoy the atmosphere in Nigeria governance. If every political public holder should declare his/her assets before assumption of any office, its going to be good.

On the other hand, what if they all publicly declear their assets and latter embezzle public funds, how will they be persecuted? Is it the next administration that will do the persecution job or who because I know buari won't dream of second term in office.

BTW, you can now manage your diabetes without drugs and insulin injection, pla check my signature.
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by ichidodo: 7:56am On Oct 31, 2015
And if they don't?..... Somebody gets the chop and we ain't talking about their f**kin foreskin either.
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by dave2meek(m): 7:56am On Oct 31, 2015
D
Re: Customs Orders Officers To Declare Assets - The Nation by emmabest2000(m): 7:56am On Oct 31, 2015
ORACLE1975:
Good
last man stand is not easy ooo ... cheesy

Happy weekend to everyone !

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Diezani Ordered By Court To Return To Nigeria For Prosecution / Miyetti Allah, Rice Farmers, Others Endorse Tinubu In Minna / Toyin Badmus Dead: Yoruba Community Abuja Mourns Iyaloja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.