Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? (30959 Views)

V.I.O and FRSC Palava...my personal experience / Is Mazda MPV Prone To Auto Gear Problems? / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by promise72(m): 4:41am On May 09, 2009
For those that are familiar with Honda Babyboy, SOME BATCH (FEW I UNDERSTAND) have transmission/gear issues. To the best of my understanding, the problem was suppose to affect year 2000 thru 2003. However, i have read of the gear problems affecting even 1998 models and sometimes as new as 2004.

According to Honda, the problem suppose to only affect V6 Engines, (Honda Accord and Acura Car) but i have read different. Some 4-Cylinder Engines have reported the problems. So its kinda confusing. Most cars tend to develop the problems late in about 80,000-100,000 miles while others begin very early.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem ONLY AFFECTS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS!. Honda actually had a recall on some of the transmission but for those that already made it out of the country, too late.

Below is a letter from Honda addressing the issue.

American Honda Expands Voluntary Transmission
Recall to Certain Honda and Acura Automobiles
TORRANCE, Calif., June 29, 2004 -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today announced that it will expand
its existing voluntary recall of light truck models for a potential transmission defect to include certain
Honda and Acura passenger cars. The voluntary action involves approximately 499,000 Honda and Acura
passenger vehicles with V6 engines and 5-speed automatic transmissions. Affected models include certain
2003 and early 2004 model Accord V6 sedans and coupes, 2000-2003 and early 2004 Acura TL sedans,
and 2001-2003 Acura CL coupes.
The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its
passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries. “We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that
this doesn’t become an issue for our customers,’” said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American
Honda Motor Co., Inc.
The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission’s secondary shaft second gear that
can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat
build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage
of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise
from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and
possible locking of the vehicle’s transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.
Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted via mail and will be asked to take their vehicle to an
authorized Honda or Acura dealer to be repaired free of charge. Customer mailings will begin in late July.
In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or
disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected
gear. If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission
assembly. Customers concerned about the condition of their vehicle may visit Honda’s Ownerlink website.
Customers may also contact their local Honda or Acura dealer, or call Honda customer service or Acura
customer service.
Note: This information is being released in conjunction with an announcement concerning a related
recall action for Honda models in Japan.
Copyright, 2007 Honda Motor Co., Ltd. and its subsidiaries and affiliates. All Rights Reserved.
Honda Worldwide | June 30, 2004 "American Honda Expands Voluntary ,  http://world.honda.com/news/2004/printerfriendly/c040630.html
1 of 1 4/26/2009 3:40 PM

I am also attaching the letter.

So tell us your personal experience or if you know people close enough to you with Honda gear problem.
Tell us the year and whether its automatic or manual gear.

1 Share

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by promise72(m): 4:48am On May 09, 2009
Since the problem is not affecting all the Hondas, i will advise that if you intend to get any of the potentially affected vehicles, you should get a copy of the VIN report. Most repairs (Even regular oil changes or service) shows up on VIN Report. Definitely, a transmission repair should show up since it will be done by one of many Honda Dealers.

Then you decide what your next step will be.

Good Luck. Good Riding grin
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by AloyEmeka9: 5:48am On May 09, 2009
The transmission problem affects only 01-03 Honda accord and 01-05 Honda civic. They corrected the error in 2004 that is why you need to stay away from end of discussion 2003. I don't care how much it costs extra, buy from 2004 and above. The problem usually starts from 70k miles and higher.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by kablooee: 7:38am On May 09, 2009
@poster, very good post. we should have more educative and reasonable post like this. keep it up
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by newdawn3(m): 8:22pm On May 09, 2009
Thanks for this thread. I spoke to a friend earlier on the phone and he was telling me about his car which wont accelerate after pushing the gear to drive D4. He suspects this occured after he gave his car to another friend of ours who screeched off without waiting for the gear to change (he came to the club with a power bike, so drove an automatic transmission car like one). My friend called a mechanic to check the car this morning, as it was towed to the house by another car from the club, and the mechanic said, there is a need to change the gear box which cost approx 95k or more in Nigeria as we speak. Please advise, what can he do to this problem, or better still save some cash, in relation, to the letter you posted above,

Please Nairalanders, Help with possible solutions,

PS: The car is a Honda Accord 2000, 4 Cylinder, Auto Transmission and it was purchased from Cotonou in April with 124k+ Mileage,

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by promise72(m): 8:56pm On May 09, 2009
im not sure iys the fault of the other guy that drove it. check oil level in the gear. change the gear if proiblem continues. Good luck

By the way, how much was it at cotonou?
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by newdawn3(m): 9:26pm On May 09, 2009
promise72:

im not sure iys the fault of the other guy that drove it. check oil level in the gear. change the gear if proiblem continues. Good luck

By the way, how much was it at cotonou?

Thanks for the advice but a mechanic checked and said its the gear and it occured because he screeched off on starting the car. Just like over-speeding a manual transmission wihtout changing from Gear 1. Like I wrote above, its a friend's car so I dont have an idea how much he bought it,
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by obx101: 10:01pm On May 09, 2009
Nothing pass manual transmission ooo, from all indications toyota has the best automatic gear box, wonderful, BUT MANUAL NA THE KOKO, LESS FUEL CONSUMPTION AND MORE TORQUE

1 Like

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by alfchye(m): 12:19am On May 12, 2009
My own problem is worst, I have not enjoy my car since last year June when I entered a ditch along badagry mud road. from a relative wedding.
The gear will jerk to and from when I consulted a mechanic I was told I have to buy a new Gear and the one there is damage.
The car is a honda accord 1998 V6 model.The price I was told to buy another one is almost 200k, where in this hard time will I remove 200k to repair my gear box, I have park the car since and only manage to drive around, But last week, I got a very big shocker, the car refuse to go forward only backward, I had to tow it home the next day.
I am worked up, I want to sell the car and I wonder how much they will prize this car.
If there is any good solution someone should post here or email me alfchye@yahoo.com
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by promise72(m): 12:25am On May 12, 2009
alfchye:

My own problem is worst, I have not enjoy my car since last year June  when I entered a ditch along badagry mud road. from a relative wedding.
The gear will jerk  to and from  when I consulted a mechanic I  was told I have to  buy a new Gear  and the one there is damage.
  The car is a honda accord 1998 V6 model.The price I was told to buy another one is almost 200k, where in this hard time will I  remove 200k to repair my gear box, I have park the car since and only manage to drive around, But last week, I got   a  very big shocker, the car refuse to go forward only backward, I had to tow it home the next day.
  I am worked up, I want to sell the car and I wonder how much they will prize this car.
    If there is any good solution someone should post here or email me alfchye@yahoo.com
  God bless you.

Did you get guarantee on the one you bought? Did it work when it was installed? Personally, i will stay away from 1998-2004 Honda Accord (Especiallly the V6 Engines) The 4 cyl are not too problematic (though there are some cases).

Buy Honda Bulldog or save for 2005 upwards . Dont waste money. Or if you can get manual gear is ok.

Wish you best of luck my brother.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by promise72(m): 12:27am On May 12, 2009
Did u buy another gear yet? or not. May be i read that wrong.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by newdawn3(m): 9:50am On May 12, 2009
promise72:

Buy Honda Bulldog or save for 2005 upwards . Dont waste money. Or if you can get manual gear is ok.

I do agree with you about the Bull Dog because I have been using it for a while now and nothing like Gear Problem. I still have it. I am on Nairaland to get a good deal for Accord 2005 with no plans to sell the Bull Dog. I have heard thesame stories about 1998-2004 Model. Just incase anyone in this thread can get me a good deal, hit me up (lakingrry@gmail.com) - 2005 Accord, Leather Interior, Favorably Royal Blue or Grey. I would be back in town in the second week of June.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by bplenty(m): 3:29pm On May 12, 2009
First of all, I am not replying to this post because i want to make money, I drive a 98 Honda Accord 4 cyclinder, and I had problems with my gear box last september, I was told differe types of stories until i met a mechanic around my school environs, Unilag, Akoka i mean, the mechanic in question helped me with the gearbox and we bough another one from Oyingbo, My car has been working fine ever since, the total cost that i spend was about 65-70k, ever since my car has been working perfectly, the only thing i noticed is that my D4 light doesn't stay on when the car is on. but i bet you, he has changed gears for few of my folks and their car is in top condition, if you feel like you want to trust me, feel free to call me on 08055042940, my name is Jide, I will be willing to help, don't let anyone rip you off, most times its not even the gear that gives the fault, have a great day folks.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by Nezan(m): 4:58pm On May 12, 2009
In as much as I will agree with the earlier posts, I do believe that most people don't even check their transmission fluid talkless of changing it. I do believe that regular checking/changing of the transmission fluid will give you a better deal.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by promise72(m): 5:24pm On May 12, 2009
Nezan:

In as much as I will agree with the earlier posts, I do believe that most people don't even check their transmission fluid talkless of changing it. I do believe that regular checking/changing of the transmission fluid will give you a better deal.

Which is true. Nigerians have a terrible maintenance culture. No doubt. However, how do you explain people here that are tru to their maintenance regimen. Always take it to the dealer for oil changes etc.

Their tranny still fail!. Even little old ladies and very mature drivers. They dont race, live in nice areas, no potholes, go to work, come home, run short errands etc. There has to be a reason why Honda itself made a recall.

Why arent other older honda with a lot more abuse dont have the same issue? Honda Allahs and Bullets, i am talking about undecided
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by busynett: 6:18am On Jun 14, 2009
I have been driving Honda 2002 V6 Ex for a while now. The Honda was bought and shipped into Lagos from Houston last year with 116k Mileage, now the mileage is over 122k. I have not had any gear issue, though I checked the transmission oil two months ago and my mechanic said its gone down a little so I filled it up. I do regular oil checks, tire pressure, radiator, fuel has never gone below 1/3 always fill up.

This car was brought to me while in Abuja from Lagos, I used it for about three weeks (good road though). I serviced the car (changed oil and oil filter), changed all brake pads and I drove it back to Lagos ( about 8 1/2hrs drive) all alone with full ac stopped twice just to refuel at NNPC Okene and NNPC Akure, on 160Km/h between Ilesa and Ife by-pass on auto cruise. Got home safely

My point is one really needs to take good care of his/her car(s), then its wont disappoint you. I listen carefully when I drive most times, I dont blast sound so I as to know when there an unusual change in engine sound or strange sound, I always monitor my dash board for temp, and other indicators.

I have friends that bought Honda Accord 2000, 2001, 2002 all V6 with very low mileage but have either changed or replaced something on their gear box. Physically the cars look "unkept"and uncared for.

So as you lay your bed so you sleep on it.

Regards

2 Likes

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by freshmoney(m): 2:41pm On Jun 14, 2009
@New dawn. Have a reliable rewiring engineer diagnose it with a good diagonis tool. It could be the computer workshop in the car has malfunctioned or something. It happened to my car as well, he re-set it with the tool and it worked well since- it has been 3 months now.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 15, 2009
check out this site. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/index.shtml
u will av a better understanding of all major problems known with a particular car and model.

hope it helps
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by Chidakar: 6:48pm On Feb 08, 2010
my name is Prince, i am based in Dakar Senegal, I bought a Honda accord baby boy, 1999 Model two months ago, when i came to Nigeria, 6 cylinder ( IVTEC ENGINE) automatic gear, but i left it with my friend who dropped me at the airport as I was returning back to Senegal where I am presently. I told him to pack the car, unfortunately he has been using the car. now it has a gear box problem according to my friend there in Nigeria, he told me the gear jjeks and does not move fast as it suppose to . he advised me to change the gear box and that the price is 170K, but i told him i was not going to send 1 kobo, until i come back and fix whatever problem my self. please i need to know from any sincere brother or sister how much is the gear box so that i will know how much i can budget for that. i really need a help on the price
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by KunleA2(m): 8:15pm On Feb 08, 2010
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by GoldCircle: 2:30am On Feb 09, 2010
Chi dakar:

my name is Prince, i am based in Dakar Senegal, I bought a Honda accord baby boy, 1999 Model two months ago, when i came to Nigeria, 6 cylinder ( IVTEC ENGINE) automatic gear, but i left it with my friend who dropped me at the airport as I was returning back to Senegal where I am presently. I told him to pack the car, unfortunately he has been using the car. now it has a gear box problem according to my friend there in Nigeria, he told me the gear jjeks and does not move fast as it suppose to . he advised me to change the gear box and that the price is 170K, but i told him i was not going to send 1 kobo, until i come back and fix whatever problem my self. please i need to know from any sincere brother or sister how much is the gear box so that i will know how much i can budget for that. i really need a help on the price

I think you should contact the guy that posted this! His number is here also!

bplenty:

First of all, I am not replying to this post because i want to make money, I drive a 98 Honda Accord 4 cyclinder, and I had problems with my gear box last september, I was told differe types of stories until i met a mechanic around my school environs, Unilag, Akoka i mean, the mechanic in question helped me with the gearbox and we bough another one from Oyingbo, My car has been working fine ever since, the total cost that i spend was about 65-70k, ever since my car has been working perfectly, the only thing i noticed is that my D4 light doesn't stay on when the car is on. but i bet you, he has changed gears for few of my folks and their car is in top condition, if you feel like you want to trust me, feel free to call me on 08055042940, my name is Jide, I will be willing to help, don't let anyone rip you off, most times its not even the gear that gives the fault, have a great day folks.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by simpleseyi: 7:41am On May 15, 2010
when by honda baby girl (sorry baby boy) had gear issue last year, I went to toyota spare part area in oshodi, i'm sure my Lagos guys know that place. I priced the complete gear at different palces, the price is between 45,000 and 60,000 naira.
Eventually I did not buy the gear because i met mechanic who repaired the gear. Here is Emeka's number 08034868731, he is a spare part dealer there.

Regards.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by cecegorz(m): 10:10am On Jun 08, 2010
My 2kobo advice

For everyone using a car from '97 upwards, please let's desist from this idea of taking these cars to our usual  so called 'experienced' road side mechanics that knows no jack about modern auto engineering.

Take your car to a learned mechanic that has OBD1 or OBD2 scanners so they can make proper diagnosis before proffering solutions.

Believe me, most of the issues they condemn your whole gear for could be repaired if the vehicle is scanned first.

1 Like

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by imhsar(f): 10:06am On Aug 19, 2010
ya you are right , scanning is better option,
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by seal777(m): 2:07pm On Aug 19, 2010
I am very happy to contribute to this post because I am victim but a positive one at that.

I bought my Toyota Camry 1999 V6, having been registered for 5 years with the owner hardly able to use it because it  started smoking barely months into its purchase sucking fuel like locomotive engine and the gear jerks at interval. He was advice to change the engine and gear box.

I bought the car with the advice of my mechanic, change the brain box to solve the problem of the smoke and find out that the transmission oil in the gear is not only flat according to my mechanic but almost dried up. He loosed it from the down, had the oil drained and replace it with 5 plastics of new one and that was all.

Eight months down the lane I was on my way from a trip when I met the former owner of the car, I stopped as a friend to say hello. He was happy to see me using the car but inquire how I was able to surmount the problem with the car and still enjoying it.

He asks me two salient questions.

1. Did I change the engine of the car which I told him no, only replaced the brain box and the smoking stopped.

2. Did I change the gear box which I told him no but only drain and replace the transmission oil and that was all?

@nezan just hit the head on the nail grin

In as much as I will agree with the earlier posts, I do believe that most people don't even check their transmission fluid talkless of changing it. I do believe that regular checking/changing of the transmission fluid will give you a better deal.:

This to my best opinion is the genesis of gear problems, how many of us care about the transmission oil as much as we care about the engine?.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by blank(f): 8:57pm On Sep 02, 2010
I don't really know much about cars but let me share my personal experience with this devil baby boy.
My husband bought that car for N1.7m and from day 1 we av not had peace.
It was always one problem followed by another.
The last was this gear box thingy.
He had just changed the transmission fluid and done all round servicing cos of the last problem it had.
He had to buy a new gear box fo N140k.
It was this dat made us sell it for a paltry N800k.
Now, we have a brand new car.

No more tokunbo and no more Hondas by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by femiriches: 11:22pm On Oct 17, 2010
Please i've also had series of stories about the baby boy gear issues. Please can anybody advice on 1999 model CRV? Please
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by KunleA2(m): 5:58am On Oct 18, 2010
blank:

I don't really know much about cars but let me share my personal experience with this devil baby boy.
My husband bought that car for N1.7m and from day 1 we av not had peace.
It was always one problem followed by another.
The last was this gear box thingy.
He had just changed the transmission fluid and done all round servicing cos of the last problem it had.
He had to buy a new gear box fo N140k.
It was this dat made us sell it for a paltry N800k.
Now, we have a brand new car.

No more tokunbo and no more Hondas by God's grace.

I think they must have used the wrong oil during the oil change.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by KunleA2(m): 6:00am On Oct 18, 2010
femiriches:

Please i've also had series of stories about the baby boy gear issues. Please can anybody advice on 1999 model CRV? Please

1999 CRV is good. Just don't use the wrong oil when topping off or changing the oil.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by sauwal: 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2010
please i need urgent help,i bought a honda 1998 4cylinder about 2 months ago with a 137,000 milage. recently when i tried to shift the gear to either R or D4 it delays for about 3 seconds before engaging and with a creaking sound and jerking,but while driving it ok,but when i took it to mechanic for advice and possible repairs.the gear box sensor was cleaned and since then the car has never been the same i.e the car in the morning gives problem in changing gears especially between 1-2 and 2-3,and if i parked the car for about 2-3 hours when i start it it gives the same problem until i drive for about 20 minutes before it retuns to normal and smooth driving.
pls,i need help.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by badaru1(m): 5:38pm On Dec 20, 2010
I have similar problem with my gearbox recently,although mine was as a result of negligence from my mechanic. I was having engine problem so he advised that I get another engine,which I obliged. i bought the engine and the gear problem started from the day the engine was mounted. Since then I have not have peace with my gear.
Re: Honda Babyboy Gear Problems. Any Personal Experience To Share? by seal777(m): 2:10pm On Dec 29, 2010
na wa with nigerian mechanics, changed engine in my camry 99 v6 and the jerking in the transmission started as soon as you engaged it in drive, i was adviced to take the car in possibly 300km journey which i did the last time i travelled, it has subside to a large extend but still comes in once in a while.

None the less, i just drive and dont bother myself with the headache anymore.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Effect Of Raising The Base Of A Car / Bus Carrying Wedding Guests Crashes Into Military Armoured Vehicle In Bauchi / Engine Oil Capacity For Your Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.