Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread (3928 Views)

Please Do Help With Learning Yoruba Translation: / Where Can I Get A Yoruba Translation Of The Holy Bible? / Yoruba - Translation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by ElRazur: 10:19am On May 09, 2009
Right, so what prompts me to make this thread? Simple, the amount of inaccurate translations I have seen around here! It feels so sad that the current generation, or should I say that mine generation are unable to speak Yoruba effectively, without the addition of a foreign language, or alien connotation to it.

I suppose in a way this thread is an irony to some, due to the fact that I am using English language as my primary communication here. But never digress, this thread is aimed as a simplified way of teaching interested people the meanings and more accurate translation of all things Yoruba.

Did you know that over 28 million people alone speaks this wonderful language as their primary language, and over 25 million people across the West coast of Africa, Now that is a lot of people! Did you know that Yoruba is spoken as far as communities in Brazil, while places like Haiti share similar traditional values and beliefs similar to the native Yoruba people of West Africa? Did you know that Yoruba alphabet have 25 letters and also have vowels [5] just like the English language?

Anyway, some of you may wonder what gives me the "authority" to make these translations and help with people understanding Yoruba more. Well, I am passionate and having lived in various "Yoruba speaking" states - each with its own unique dialect, I believe it would be nice to share some of my views. I must stress, that I am not in anyway an expert. smiley

Translation in Yoruba can be quite tricky. Here are a few examples I have seen on this forum, that I believe is inaccurate and not the true translation:

Some one asked
sistawoman:

how do i say "i miss you" in yoruba

And here is a reply:
michelin89:

I got this translation from a friend!
mo miss eh gan!

Now not only is this "translation" wrong and inaccurate. It shows the point I was making earlier as to how our generation is fast losing the ability to speak fluently without adding foreign word to it.

The correct translation for this will be "Oju e 'un ro mi" [Oju e 'hun ro mi].

Another example of miss translation is this one:

FL Gators!:

I'm like so not the best yoruba interpreter, esp when it comes to names.  tongue tongue tongue

But. . . .but I think

Kolajo means: Gather joy (ola means joy/wealth. Jo means gather)

Koyejo means: Gather honor. (oye means Honor or Kingship)

Any yoruba interpreter should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

This sort of translation is very wrong and it shows how not to translate. [In fairness, the writer did mentioned, he/she aint an expert at translation]
Now back to the explanation! For example, if am to ask for a translation of the phrase "Two chairs" it wont be "Meji ijoko", bur it will read as[b] "Ijoko meji"[/b]. The cross over translation in yoruba can be quite tricky at times, however translating part of a phrase approach can change the actual out come of the whole translation, thereby rendering it inaccurate.

For the above names, Kolajo will actually have to be translated in an indirect/literal manner so it will therefore be as follows:
Kolajo [Ko ola jo] "One who have lot of wealth/Riches/influences".

Koyejo [Ko oye joo] "One with many achievements/titles OR One who have been successfully"

Other inaccurate translation have been the ones given by Ifeleke etc.

I am making this new thread to help people have a simplified and better understanding of Yoruba. If you want things on Culture explained, Proverbs decoded or the real meaning made known to you, words and names meaning explained, then come in here and post. I will do my best to explain. smiley

More post to come.

PS
It would be nice if a mod/admin can make this a sticky. It will make it easier for people to see, and for me and co. to help deal with their questions and queries.
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by biina: 10:26am On May 09, 2009
and why would this be any different form the normal translation thread?   restricted translators?undecided
I think it would be better if you participate and post your ideas and/or corrections in the existing thread, instead of starting a new one.
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by ElRazur: 10:30am On May 09, 2009
It offers a better approach to translation by actually taken time to explain the various methods of translating, it goes to actually trying in breaking down the common mistakes with translation etc. smiley And it promises to make more post as to how tricky certain words are for cross-translation.
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by ElRazur: 10:44am On May 09, 2009
Tricky words and Borrowed words.

In every language that I have studied, there appears to be an element of "Borrowed words" from other language. Certain french words have been taken and now used exclusively as English words, and vice versa. Believe it or not, it is the same for Yoruba.

Alubosa [Onions] did you know comes from the apparently Hausa word "Albarka"? [Hausa is not my strong point, so spelling here may not be 100%].

In Yoruba, there are some words that do not exist when doing a cross over translation. So, what we do instead is take that existing word and add Yoruba vowels and sound to it so as to make it localised, more pronounceable and hence, blending with our tongue. Below are some examples of Borrowed words.

John - Johanu.

Peter - Peteru

Brick - Biriki

Bricklayer - Birikila [B'rikila] - An amalgamation of[b] "Brikla"[/b] without the[b] yer [/b]at the end.

Caterpillar [The truck] - Katakata.

In the first two translation, the actually names have been taken with an addition of Yoruba vowels. Like I said above already, this makes it more pronounceable.

As for the final word in the list "Kata Kata" what have been done here was an amalgamation of two sounds - Cater = Kata and the continuous "Ta Ta" sound made by the diesel engine of these big trucks, hence the name "Kata Kata". Very ingenious isnt? Well there is load of fun knowing how these these things comes about lol.
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by ElRazur: 11:13am On May 09, 2009
Basic Numbers translation

1 = Eyokan/Ookan

2 = Meji / Eeji

3 = Meta / Eeta

4= Merin/ Eerin

5 = Maarun /Aarun

6= Mefa / Eefa

7= Meje / Eeje

8 = Mejo /Eejo

9 = Mesan /Eesan

10 = Mewa /Eewaa

0 = Odo

Days of the week

Monday = Ojo Aje [This is called Ojo aje - the day of sales- as Monday marks the time people usually gather for the begining of a new work week. There are money to be made on Monday, hence the name.

Tuesday = Ojo ru

Wednesday = Ojo bo

Thursday = Ojo eti

Friday = Aba meta

Saturday = Aiku

Sunday = Ojo Isimi Or Ojo isegun [It simply means the day of rest/Day of conquer. Probably as implied by the fact that not much is done on this day lol]

Erm my brain is dead here and I can fill out the rest of the meanings, If anyone knows then please let us know.
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by biina: 11:34am On May 09, 2009
My earlier question was why you felt you needed a separate thread and why would it turn out to be any different from the existing thread?
For example, would you ban others from posting their own translations?
I am less interested in the goals, but more in how you intend to achieve it (that necessitates a new thread)

ElRazur:

Days of the week

Monday = Ojo Aje [This is called Ojo aje - the day of sales- as Monday marks the time people usually gather for the begining of a new work week. There are money to be made on Monday, hence the name.

Tuesday = Ojo ru

Wednesday = Ojo bo

Thursday = Ojo eti

Friday = Aba meta

Saturday = Aiku

Sunday = Ojo Isimi Or Ojo isegun [It simply means the day of rest/Day of conquer. Probably as implied by the fact that not much is done on this day lol]

Erm my brain is dead here and I can fill out the rest of the meanings, If anyone knows then please let us know.
Your translation of the days of the week is wrong

From sunday to saturday are aiku, aje, isegun, ojo ru, ojo bo, eti, abameta
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by ElRazur: 11:40am On May 09, 2009
biina:

My earlier question was why you felt you needed a separate thread and why would it turn out to be any different from the existing thread?
For example, would you ban others from posting their own translations?
I am less interested in the goals, but more in how you intend to achieve it (that necessitates a new thread)
Your translation of the days of the week is wrong

If you take your time to read the thread, I already addressed this in the opening statement. smiley Finally, why do you keep "thinking this is what I am trying to say as oppose to this is what am saying"! You have done this across two threads now. Where have I banned people from translating?

biina:

From sunday to saturday are aiku, aje, isegun, ojo ru, ojo bo, eti, abameta

Like I said, my brain is dead at the point of writing that days of the week out. I am willing to accept your translation. This is part of what this thread is about, however I will wait for a few more confirmations. smiley
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by biina: 12:14pm On May 09, 2009
I didn't say you had banned people in the past, nor said you were going to in the future, it was just a question to help clarify what i sought.
I am only trying to find out why you feel same couldn't be accomplished in the existing translation thread.
I have read your posts a few times over, and I just don't see why the ills of the old thread would not plague this.
Unless you restrict responses, people will always post their own version of a translation, being correct or otherwise. If you intend to correct them when they do such in this thread, then you can simply do same in the existing thread (as you did with one of the posts).
Re: ElRazur's Real Yoruba Translation and all things Yoruba related Thread by ElRazur: 12:21pm On May 09, 2009
Can we do this some other time please. smiley

We can focus on doing some translation instead. smiley Thanks.

(1)

Where Has Our Moral Value Gone. / Most Beautiful Flag In Africa / Ogun Ti Afi Ma Nde Ipo Nla Tabi Di Eni Pataki Lawujo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.