Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 (2032 Views)

My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? / High Fuel Consumption On Camry '96 Model (pencil Lights) / Fuel Consumption Ratio; Six Plugs Vs Four Plugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by solapoly: 9:21pm On Oct 31, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]Great Nairalanders i need your help. i have MPV 2001 i recently noticed that the car consume fuel in excess beyond normal. Imagine me buying fuel of #5'000 from Lagos to Ibadan without much traffic and yet praying to see the nearest filling station before getting back to Lagos . i have change the nozzles, changed the censor, the plug and still it continue. please what do i do
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by mayor2013: 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
solapoly:
[color=#990000][/color]Great Nairalanders i need your help. i have MPV 2001 i recently noticed that the car consume fuel in excess beyond normal. Imagine me buying fuel of #5'000 from Lagos to Ibadan without much traffic and yet praying to see the nearest filling station before getting back to Lagos . i have change the nozzles, changed the censor, the plug and still it continue. please what do i do

Run a scan on your car. Stop putting the cart before the horse. If you are in lagos and you need to fix. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:13am On Nov 01, 2015
solapoly:

Give out that car before it kills you grin
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by chemvic: 4:32am On Nov 01, 2015
The kind of thirst your car has is a serious one, get a good diagnostics, you will then decide thereafter
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by honmusa(m): 6:36am On Nov 01, 2015
Stop throwing part at a fault ,perform your own diagnosis
and analysis of the fault yourself and get the idea of the
fault before giving out to mechanic for repair with this
unique product.
https://www.nairaland.com/2078663/bonanza-fastest-
automobile-scanner-obdlink
http://m.youtube.com/watch?
v=ZHBu8t7AXQQ&fulldescription=1&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-
google

Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by MPVGoddess: 5:01am On Nov 04, 2015
Lagos to Ibadan is 140 kilometers (86.992 miles) via E1
Lagos to Ibadan is 180 kilometers (111.847) via Olumi

Which route did you take?
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by MPVGoddess: 6:19am On Nov 04, 2015
Fuel Economy for the MPV 2001 is said to be 18 city / 23 highway by the manufacturer

16 -19 MPG is common in stop and go traffic such as you must have encountered on that road because although its highway, its not a smooth as silk, so that translate to 6.8 - 8.1 Km/L or 14.7 - 12.4 L/100KM

Your MPV has a 19 Gallon tank, that is 71.9228 litres

At N87/litres, 5,000 naira of petrol got you 57.5 litres

Let's say your fuel economy figures are 16 MPG or 6.8Km/L or 14.7L/100KM

And using a round trip of 280 kilometers (173.98 miles) via E1
OR
And using a round trip of 360 kilometers (223.69) via Olumi

How much fuel should the vehicle have consumed assuming all was well?

Let me define the expression "all is well":

That is intact upstream oxygen sensors, clean air filter, clean MAF, plugs that aren't worn, perfect spark plug wires, correct tire pressure, use of either 5w-30 or 5w-20 synthetic engine oil, exhaust pipes that aren't leaking, thermostat in place, fans commanded on and off by the engine computer and not commanded to be on all the time by some rewire, intact catalyst, driving with a not so heavy foot?

So let me ask:

mileage of the vehicle?

tire size? and tire pressure? Recommended to use 215/60/16 with 38 to 40 PSI

What sensors did you change?

When last did you change the air filter?

Clean the MAF? as well as the throttle body? infact also clean the entire manifold? as well as the IAC?

What plugs are you running in her?

What engine oil do you use? Mazda recommends 5w-20 for the 2001 although the engine is no different from the 2000 in which they recommended 5w-30. Get that grade in fully synthetic flavor!

Can you get a panel beater to confirm you do not have a leaking exhaust and that your catalyst is intact?

is your thermostat intact?

Could you also run a scan and post the codes? Would be extremely helpful in diagnosis and narrowing down the fault?

Fuel economy advice for the MPV:
Apart from first gear changes which must occur at around 3,000 RPM try to make all other gear changes around 2,000 to 2,500 RPM and keep the revs counter under 2,500 and the speed under 65 miles if fuel economy is your goal!

1 Like

Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by Denn(m): 10:30am On Nov 04, 2015
Your fuel is leaking.

Not burning

If your car actually burns that volume on that journey, the carbon build up would have clogged the system.

Trace the leak.
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by mayor2013: 10:47am On Nov 04, 2015
Denn:
Your fuel is leaking.

Not burning

If your car actually burns that volume on that journey, the carbon build up would have clogged the system.

Trace the leak.

I strongly disagree, the "op" came to my workshop for a scan. The following where the problem of his car for high fuel consumption

1)Thermostat removed

2) Fans connected directly. The noise was so much even when compared to that of a trailer. A trailer would sound better. Over cooling of engine resulting to dumping more fuel in the combustion chamber

3) misfire detected on cylinder 5

4) engine coolant temperature sensor absent. Must have been removed by kazeems

5) intake manifold runner control bank1 stucked close. There is nothing what soever to monitor the amount of intake air. The design of the mazda mpv engine is such that only the map sensor and mass airflow cannot do the monitoring of intake air.

So therefore my conclusion is that all this would make his car consume excess.

Ps: black smoke already coming out of "op" exhaust as a result of all this

1 Like

Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by MPVGoddess: 11:33am On Nov 04, 2015
mayor2013:

I strongly disagree, the "op" came to my workshop for a scan. The following where the problem of his car for high fuel consumption

1)Thermostat removed

2) Fans connected directly. The noise was so much even when compared to that of a trailer. A trailer would sound better. Over cooling of engine resulting to dumping more fuel in the combustion chamber

5) intake manifold runner control bank1 stucked close. There is nothing what soever to monitor the amount of intake air. The design of the mazda mpv engine is such that only the map sensor and mass airflow cannot do the monitoring of intake air.

Seriously no ECT sensor or sensors?

The vehicle has two, the one that drives the ECU I assume, not the one that drives the gauge at the dash? Or present but not connected since if it/those were not present, there would be a coolant leak!
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by Denn(m): 12:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
mayor2013:

1)Thermostat removed

Apologies.

Op didn't state his car has been 'fully converted'

He stated the problem started recently as if ceteris paribus.

Also I didn't read that the N5000 fuel was for a to and fro journey....I skimmed only to....5000 from Lagos to ibadan couldn't have been burnt in an MPV even with thermo removed
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by MPVGoddess: 2:10pm On Nov 04, 2015
I have done 480 kilometers (298 miles) on 3/4 tank

14.25 Gallons = 53.942118 Litres

If you keep the speed down, say 60 (97km/hr) to 65 miles (105 km/h), and don't drive with a lead foot, you can have a range of 600 kilometer to a full tank, although i always top up by 1/4 mark as a rule, that is somewhere between 450 kilometers and 500 kilometers

Your MPV is very sick

Nurse it back to health and you will find it a very nice and reliable travel companion
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by Alatisetemi: 7:35am On Mar 29, 2017
Pls house I need a good mechanic that can help me to fix my mazda mpv 2001.car doing hard start,now strugling to move or wont even move atall. Hv changed plugs service fuel system. Pls I need a good mechanic that will fix it for me. Thnx.
Re: High Fuel Consumption... MPV 2001 by SmartchoicesNG: 7:38am On Mar 29, 2017
Alatisetemi:
Pls house I need a good mechanic that can help me to fix my mazda mpv 2001.car doing hard start,now strugling to move or wont even move atall. Hv changed plugs service fuel system. Pls I need a good mechanic that will fix it for me. Thnx.
Dump that car.

(1) (Reply)

Sell Us Your Distress Car,accident Car,,junk Car Or Scrap In Lagos / Toyota Corolla Sport 2009 / 5 World's Most Expensive Bicycle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.