Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:15 PM

Honorifics In Igbo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Honorifics In Igbo? (2533 Views)

Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / Ten Most Popular Traditional Festival Celebrated In Igbo Land. / Canadian Terry Duguid In Igbo Attire During Festival. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honorifics In Igbo? by Crayola1: 3:51pm On Nov 01, 2015
I wanted to know if their were such things as Keigo in Japanese or Korean.

Where how words are phrases or the type of words used change depending on who you are talking.

Or how would you address children, adults, professionals, and etc. Like the equivalents of Mr., Mrs., etc.
Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by Crayola1: 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2015
Examples in Japanese:

Honorifics used only as suffixes

-san
The most common honorific, and the one most familiar to non-Japanese. Roughly equivalent to most everyday English honorifics, it is generally employed with someone of the same social station as yourself, but can be used any time you need to be generically polite. This is commonly translated and most closely related to the English "Mr." or "Ms." However, it's often dropped entirely in translations, since it's used in contexts where any honorific at all would seem excessively formal in English. (Example: high school students addressing each other with "Mr." or "Ms." would come across as overly formal)
-han
Kansai-ben version of -san. Not used very much if the vowel sound of the last character ends with "i" , "u" or "n".
-sama
A term of great respect, one step higher than -san. In fantasy or historical contexts, it's generally translated as lord/lady or a similar term, but since modern English really has no honorific expressing such extreme deference, Mr. or Ms. usually has to do. In situations where there isn't a massive gap in social status between the speaker and the person being addressed, the use of -sama can border on grovelling. However, it has some standard uses: it's a flattering way for a business.company to address its customers and clients; it's used when addressing letters to friends; and a young woman may playfully use it for a guy she has a massive crush on.

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/JapaneseHonorifics#ixzz3qFfJLK3x

Honorifics also used as regular/standalone words

-senpai/-sempai
Usually translated as "upperclassman" in stories set in high school or college, but it more precisely means "mentor" or "senior", depending on context; it is also used in workplaces, clubs, organizations etc. for employees/members with seniority in relevance to the speaker. Due to differences between romanization systems, it can be spelled in Western languages as either "senpai" {Kunrei} or "sempai" {Hepburn}. (Both spellings are technically correct; the former is a closer transliteration of the Japanese spelling, but the latter better reflects the actual pronunciation.) Senpai/sempai can be attached to the end of someone's name or be used on its own.
-kouhai
The inverse of -senpai/-sempai, meaning someone of a lower class year or lower seniority than the speaker. It's not strictly speaking an honorific since it's not normally attached to a name, and it's considered rude to use to a person's face.
-sensei
Literally means "one who has come before". Usually heard in English referring to martial arts masters. Also applies to doctors, teachers, and masters of any profession or art. It is also standard for professional writers who are classed as teachers. In short, the rule of thumb runs thus: doctors, teachers, lawyers, writers and scientists who got their doctorates are called "sensei" automatically; with the others it's debatable. In recent years this has become an all-purpose suck-up word, and is now more often used sarcastically than as a genuinely respectful term. This has brought complaints of Dude, Where's My Respect? from real masters and artists. Those who routinely read the liner notes of manga will notice that this is still used as a term of respect for - and between - prominent manga artists (e.g. "Akamatsu-sensei" for Ken Akamatsu).

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/JapaneseHonorifics#ixzz3qFfTiBQ5
Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by Crayola1: 3:55pm On Nov 01, 2015
Keigo in Japanese:

For an example of Politeness Levels in action, see the example below.

Japanese Teacher: Good morning, Harry.
Harry: Good morning.
Japanese Classmates: (gasps of horror and shock)
—So you want to learn Japanese...

Keigo is a Japanese speech register containing the language's more polite forms of address. It is used in formal and ceremonial circumstances, and in certain cases when those of lower social position are addressing those higher-up. For example, shop clerks generally address customers using keigo forms. (A few keigo phrases are used in daily conversation as well.)

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Keigo#ixzz3qFfmyvC9

Examples:
Kore wa pen da. ("This is a pen", plain)
Kore wa pen de aru. ("This is a pen", plain but formal — typical of written style)
Kore wa pen desu. ("This is a pen", polite)
Kore wa pen de gozaimasu. ("This is a pen", very formal and polite)
Iku. ("I will go", plain)
Ikimasu. ("I will go", polite)

There are different types of keigo, including sonkeigo ("respectful language," forms which express deference towards the subject) and kenjougo ("humble language," sometimes called "samurai language," which express humility on the speaker's part, which is not necessarily indicative of the speaker's social status). Teineigo ("polite language"wink is a mix of both, a general polite style that doesn't necessarily involve deference or humility. (There are other variations as well but those are not important on this level.) These variations can appear either with different verb conjugations, or with substitute verbs.

Continuing with the "iku" example from above:

Iku / Ikimasu. (neutral)
Ikareru / Ikaremasu. (deferential)
Irassharu / Irasshaimasu. (more deferential)
Mairu / Mairimasu. (increasingly humble)

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Keigo#ixzz3qFg7i2Mi
Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by Crayola1: 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2015
Korean:

Korean, like Japanese, has an extensive system of honorifics, words usually appended to the ends of names or pronouns to indicate the relative ages and social positions of the speakers. Immigrants to the Koreas often find this idea difficult to grasp, but it is a very important feature of language. Using the wrong honorific can and will cause offense.
Generic honorifics

Si (씨; pronounced shee): When appended to a full name or personal name, it indicates that the speaker considers the speakee to be of the same or a higher social level than themselves, and is most commonly used to refer to strangers or acquaintances. When appended to a surname, it indicates that the speaker considers themselves to be of a higher station than the speakee, and has a "distant" connotation that is considered rude if applied to elders.

Gun (군): Used in the same context as Si but applied to unmarried men/male minors only.

Yang (양): Used in the same context as Si but applied to unmarried women/female minors only.

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/KoreanHonorifics#ixzz3qFgUJr9W
Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by Crayola1: 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2015
Pronouns

Oppa (오빠): For a female's older brother (literally and figuratively) and for older (but not that much older) men whom the women trust. Women often use it for their boyfriends as well. The female equivalent is "Unni" (언니). Men never use either of these.

Hyung(형): For a male's older brother (literally and figuratively) and for men they're close to/respect. The female equivalent is "Nuna" (누나). Women never use either of these.

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/KoreanHonorifics#ixzz3qFgfAMJy
Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2015
Honorifics are rather limited among the Igbo, and the usage of certain honorifics varies between regions. For example, dee/deede and daa/daada are honorifics for older male (de) and female (da) members of one's lineage group. The usage is primarily limited to southern and eastern Igbo-speaking regions. From what I've learned, these honorifics don't exist in the northern Igbo-speaking region. However, even within the southern Igbo-speaking region, the usage differs. If you visit the Uratta culture-group, you will notice that the honorifics are switched [ie. males (da), females (de)]. Someone feel free to correct me if I misspoke.

Anyway, in the southern Igbo-speaking region, de/da is about as close as it gets to Mr./Ms.

Moving on to the eastern Igbo-speaking region, we see new honorifics, the 'maazi' class of honorifics. These include, maazi, nwamaazi, adamaazi, etc. Which are akin to the Mr., Mrs. etc. we see in the western world. The maazi class of honorifics originate from Arochukwu. From there, the honorific spread. Maazi itself has been incorporated into Izugbe as Mr.

That's about as far as my knowledge of honorifics goes. I can't speak for the western, northern and northeastern Igbo-speaking regions.

1 Like

Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 01, 2015
I do not know of any honorifics in the northern Igbo area that can be regarded as equivalents of Mr, Mrs and Ms in the English-speaking world, or Dee, Daa and Maazi in the Southern and Eastern Igbo area. [Anyone who knows of any such honorifics can, of course, correct me.]

I think this may be attributable to the northern Igbo emphasis on achieved status, to the detriment of status attained by age, or seniority within the kin group. By achieved status, I'm referring to the title system which reached its highest development in the northern Igbo area. Thus, depending on which title one has taken, one could go by any of the following honorifics (to name just a few of them): Ichie, Nze, Ozo, Ume, Dunu, Ogbuefi, Ogbuanyinya...there are lots of them depending on the particular village/village-group.

In my town (and I assume in its neighbouring towns as well), men of no title still have salutary/ praise names (avba otutu), and it is by these names that they are greeted/hailed, in much the same way people from the Eastern Igbo hail their peers 'Maazi', the major differences being that the avba otutu cannot be attached in front of a personal name the way 'Maazi' can, and the 'avba otutu' varies from person to person, i.e, is bearer-specific. One man could be hailed as 'Onye obuna jevbe uka', another person as 'Ugbo oku'. This doesn't exactly qualify as a honorific in the sense intended in this post, but I'm drawing attention to it...for whatever it is worth.

To illustrate how the 'avba otutu' works, a typical exchange between two strangers meeting each other for the first time, and who do not know how to exchange greetings due to their unfamiliarity with each others salutary names could go thus:

A: Kedi ivbe n tu ghu? (What name do I hail you by?)
B: Tuo m Chinyelugo. (Hail me as Chinyelugo)
A: *hailing A* Chinyelugo!
B: *acknowledging the greeting* Eeee! Nke ghu kweni a? (Yes! And your own salutary name?)
A: * providing his* Mgbeonyefutali.
B: *hailing B* Mgbeonyefutali!
A: *acknowleding the greeting* Eeee! (Yes!)

It's a much clumsier system than the southern/eastern system where you can simply hail everyone as Dee or Maazi, and where you don't have to memorise scores of personal salutary names. I've seen men at events shaking hands and apologetically asking for the umpteenth time of old acquaintances, "Please remind me - what's your salutary name again?"

Oral traditions suggest that at some point in the past, a generic honorific 'Di-iru' was used in my place in much the same way 'Maazi' was used in the eastern Igbo area.

1 Like

Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by cheruv: 7:11pm On Nov 03, 2015
Radoillo:
I do not know of any honorifics in the northern Igbo area that can be regarded as equivalents of Mr, Mrs and Ms in the English-speaking world, or Dee, Daa and Maazi in the Southern and Eastern Igbo area. [Anyone who knows of any such honorifics can, of course, correct me.]

I think this may be attributable to the northern Igbo emphasis on achieved status, to the detriment of status attained by age, or seniority within the kin group. By achieved status, I'm referring to the title system which reached its highest development in the northern Igbo area. Thus, depending on which title one has taken, one could go by any of the following honorifics (to name just a few of them): Ichie, Nze, Ozo, Ume, Dunu, Ogbuefi, Ogbuanyinya...there are lots of them depending on the particular village/village-group.

In my town (and I assume in its neighbouring towns as well), men of no title still have salutary/ praise names (avba otutu), and it is by these names that they are greeted/hailed, in much the same way people from the Eastern Igbo hail their peers 'Maazi', the major differences being that the avba otutu cannot be attached in front of a personal name the way 'Maazi' can, and the 'avba otutu' varies from person to person, i.e, is bearer-specific. One man could be hailed as 'Onye obuna jevbe uka', another person as 'Ugbo oku'. This doesn't exactly qualify as a honorific in the sense intended in this post, but I'm drawing attention to it...for whatever it is worth.

To illustrate how the 'avba otutu' works, a typical exchange between two strangers meeting each other for the first time, and who do not know how to exchange greetings due to their unfamiliarity with each others salutary names could go thus:

A: Kedi ivbe n tu ghu? (What name do I hail you by?)
B: Tuo m Chinyelugo. (Hail me as Chinyelugo)
A: *hailing A* Chinyelugo!
B: *acknowledging the greeting* Eeee! Nke ghu kweni a? (Yes! And your own salutary name?)
A: * providing his* Mgbeonyefutali.
B: *hailing B* Mgbeonyefutali!
A: *acknowleding the greeting* Eeee! (Yes!)

It's a much clumsier system than the southern/eastern system where you can simply hail everyone as Dee or Maazi, and where you don't have to memorise scores of personal salutary names. I've seen men at events shaking hands and apologetically asking for the umpteenth time of old acquaintances, "Please remind me - what's your salutary name again?"

Oral traditions suggest that at some point in the past, a generic honorific 'Di-iru' was used in my place in much the same way 'Maazi' was used in the eastern Igbo area.
Seriously the salutary name ish is quite amusing grin
This reminds of a Chinese film three kingdoms in which every one there had a style name,which was quite different from his main name. Like some characters there eg Cao Cao was styled Mengde;Sima Yi was styled Zhongda;Liu Bei was styled Xuande;Zhuge Liang was styled Kongming etc.
I think that system should be implemented round Igboland and done in such a way that the style/salutary names would be official and chosen at the age of 21.
The maazi aspect would kept to use as reference to Mr

For eg instead of referring to me as Maazi Cheruv Ashki, you can refer to me as Maazi Cheruv Odumnārahūra grin with Odumnārahūra(sleeping Lion) being my style name

1 Like

Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 03, 2015
cheruv:

Seriously the salutary name ish is quite amusing grin
This reminds of a Chinese film three kingdoms in which every one there had a style name,which was quite different from his main name. Like some characters there eg Cao Cao was styled Mengde;Sima Yi was styled Zhongda;Liu Bei was styled Xuande;Zhuge Liang was styled Kongming etc.
I think that system should be implemented round Igboland and done in such a way that the style/salutary names would be official and chosen at the age of 21.
The maazi aspect would kept to use as reference to Mr

For eg instead of referring to me as Maazi Cheruv Ashki, you can refer to me as Maazi Cheruv Odumnārahūra grin with Odumnārahūra(sleeping Lion) being my style name

grin Salutary names are fun! Although it took a while for me to get used to greeting my elders by calling out their salutary names, rather than saying, "Good morning/afternoon/evening, sir." I got one at about the age of 20. Or more correctly I had one imposed on me - I was taking too much time coming up with one myself, so the folks in my village just began hailing me as 'Nwavbunnia' (literally, 'the child who is his father' i.e., a chip off the old block), and it stuck. grin

Will the other areas in Igboland be receptive to this practice -particularly the southerly parts? I can't say. I like 'Odumnārahūra sha! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Honorifics In Igbo? by macof(m): 12:47am On Nov 05, 2015
Crayola1:
Examples in Japanese:

Honorifics used only as suffixes

-san
The most common honorific, and the one most familiar to non-Japanese. Roughly equivalent to most everyday English honorifics, it is generally employed with someone of the same social station as yourself, but can be used any time you need to be generically polite. This is commonly translated and most closely related to the English "Mr." or "Ms." However, it's often dropped entirely in translations, since it's used in contexts where any honorific at all would seem excessively formal in English. (Example: high school students addressing each other with "Mr." or "Ms." would come across as overly formal)
-han
Kansai-ben version of -san. Not used very much if the vowel sound of the last character ends with "i" , "u" or "n".
-sama
A term of great respect, one step higher than -san. In fantasy or historical contexts, it's generally translated as lord/lady or a similar term, but since modern English really has no honorific expressing such extreme deference, Mr. or Ms. usually has to do. In situations where there isn't a massive gap in social status between the speaker and the person being addressed, the use of -sama can border on grovelling. However, it has some standard uses: it's a flattering way for a business.company to address its customers and clients; it's used when addressing letters to friends; and a young woman may playfully use it for a guy she has a massive crush on.

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/JapaneseHonorifics#ixzz3qFfJLK3x

Honorifics also used as regular/standalone words

-senpai/-sempai
Usually translated as "upperclassman" in stories set in high school or college, but it more precisely means "mentor" or "senior", depending on context; it is also used in workplaces, clubs, organizations etc. for employees/members with seniority in relevance to the speaker. Due to differences between romanization systems, it can be spelled in Western languages as either "senpai" {Kunrei} or "sempai" {Hepburn}. (Both spellings are technically correct; the former is a closer transliteration of the Japanese spelling, but the latter better reflects the actual pronunciation.) Senpai/sempai can be attached to the end of someone's name or be used on its own.
-kouhai
The inverse of -senpai/-sempai, meaning someone of a lower class year or lower seniority than the speaker. It's not strictly speaking an honorific since it's not normally attached to a name, and it's considered rude to use to a person's face.
-sensei
Literally means "one who has come before". Usually heard in English referring to martial arts masters. Also applies to doctors, teachers, and masters of any profession or art. It is also standard for professional writers who are classed as teachers. In short, the rule of thumb runs thus: doctors, teachers, lawyers, writers and scientists who got their doctorates are called "sensei" automatically; with the others it's debatable. In recent years this has become an all-purpose suck-up word, and is now more often used sarcastically than as a genuinely respectful term. This has brought complaints of Dude, Where's My Respect? from real masters and artists. Those who routinely read the liner notes of manga will notice that this is still used as a term of respect for - and between - prominent manga artists (e.g. "Akamatsu-sensei" for Ken Akamatsu).

Read more: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/JapaneseHonorifics#ixzz3qFfTiBQ5

Reminds me of Naruto, I learnt all this from the Anime grin

(1) (Reply)

Idoma Community Bans Men From Spending More Than N100k on Traditional Marriage / Proverbs And Their Meaning / What Do They Call Twins In Your Tribe: Let's Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.