Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria (4915 Views)

Fast Internet Service In Enugu / Etisalat Internet - Blazing Fast Internet / Which Network Should I Join For Fast Internet Browsing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by douecho: 1:03am On May 10, 2009
Please people, is it that there's something in Nigeria that will not allow fast internet anywhere in Nigeria?(And please I dont mean jazz) Is it really so impossible to have internet speed that is even comparable to the worst in uk? And what ever it is that is missing, is it so difficult to have it in Nigeria? I find it frustrating trying to attach large documents, or open media files in Nigeria. soon as i get back to the uk, i click on something and expect that I should go and make eba while it loads and within seconds, its open. And this is the cheapes of all internet connections I have o,cos I be student.

Abeg, someone help me explain. I feel providing TRUE fast internet is a big biz opportunity in Naija!
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by tpiah: 1:06am On May 10, 2009
the internet is slow in Nigeria yet we have such a huge reputation for yahoo yahoo?
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by douecho: 8:39am On May 10, 2009
Well, no be fast internet you need for yahoo yahoo now.as long as the mail delivers at some point. If you get book or anything else for that matter wey you wan download, you go hear am.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by biggjoe(m): 2:45pm On May 10, 2009
There are many foreign providers offering very fast internet services in Nigeria, the problem is that Nigerians cant pay for it.
My ISP is based in Canada and the bandwith that I use that people refer to as being fast is not even half way to the top of their highest bandwidth they offer yet it is about fastest in town. But the thing is that I pay dearly for it.
It is not even a dedicated bandwidth.

So my friend, it is only a dream in Nigeria if you cant pay for fast enough bandwidth. grin
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by douecho: 3:49pm On May 10, 2009
Well, it still boils down to fast internet being only a dream. I'm sure in the canada where you're getting your internet from, the cheapest package will still be faster than any in Nigeria. How easy will it be to provide cheap and fast internet in NIgeria?What do we ned to put in place to have it?Also, please how much do you pay for the canada internet?
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by dipo2much(m): 10:44am On May 11, 2009
u must be willing to pay a whole lot to get good internet connectivity. Period
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 11:00am On May 11, 2009
Topic

It is only a dream in Nigeria because developed countries are still yet to actualise the dreams they had ages ago

And Nigeria is only a developing country so the dreaming still continues, developed countries have woken up from thier dreams! grin
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by tboy1(m): 11:03am On May 11, 2009
douecho:

Well, it still boils down to fast internet being only a dream. I'm sure in the canada where you're getting your internet from, the cheapest package will still be faster than any in Nigeria. How easy will it be to provide cheap and fast internet in NIgeria?What do we ned to put in place to have it?Also, please how much do you pay for the canada internet?
No you're wrong.
The cheapest overseas is dail-up service and its not fast at all
Do your research well in nigeria and have ur money ready and you wont complain about ur slow internet connection.

Goodluck wink
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by hackney(m): 11:05am On May 11, 2009
Mr Poster ,I understand your frustration but why mention UK in the same paragraph as Nigeria in tech comparisms?

This may lead to hallucinations and other delusions of grandeur coupled with this big false sense of greatness which is common with nigerians. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Try comparing Nigerian technology proficiencies with say Ghana, senegal,gambia and cote d'voire (not S.africa or egypt).

Look , when an ISP comes to nigeria and sees the culture of buying cheap equipment,giving poor service and swindling customers, of course theywill help themselves
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 11:07am On May 11, 2009
I dont expect dial-up connections to be fast.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by tboy1(m): 11:18am On May 11, 2009
Sam Milla:

I dont expect dial-up connections to be fast.
dats why i pointed it out
he's comparing slowest connection in UK/US to the fastest connection in nigeria.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by moonraker(m): 11:43am On May 11, 2009
@ poster

nice topic. let me break it down to you.

as someone on this thread stated, if you need fast internet, you got to pay with yur hands and legs.

this is becos it is really difficult to do business in nigeria. the capital required to setup such an enterprise

runs into billions if not trillions.

first, you have to buy the license from NCC (i do not need to state how much that will cost) ofcourse you could

go for an alternate route by buying out a company like Nitel so that you do not need to go through licensing but ooh wait up

will nitel be willing to sell??

secondly, we have the issue of equipments. u cant depend on nitel sat-3. this means you have to create your own gateway.

running into billions already,

then yiu have the issue of maintenance and powering of those heavy equipments. phcn is a big joke. what does this mean??

this means lots and lots of generators oops sorry plants,

infact, if i go on and on, this would turn into a thesis.

there is only one solution. nitel or globacom shd get it act together, thats all. not to put money for pocket,
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 11:54am On May 11, 2009
What about MTN and Zain broadband datacards
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by moonraker(m): 12:19pm On May 11, 2009
@ honeric01

those guys are not even close to broadband. thats a mini adsl.

datacards have their limits
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by zigalo(m): 12:24pm On May 11, 2009
@tboy1
Do your research well in nigeria and have ur money ready and you wont complain about ur slow internet connection.

Please do you have a name of particular ISP you would want to recommend (broadband)
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 12:32pm On May 11, 2009
Have you used both
moonraker:

@ honeric01

those guys are not even close to broadband. thats a mini adsl.

datacards have their limits

Have you tried these 2 before concluding
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by markos: 12:32pm On May 11, 2009
once globalcom completes the undersea cables from the UK, watch internet prices fall, phones charges dropping, what Nigeria uses is satellite based internet connection or basicaly buying bandwidth from 3rd or even 4th party suppliers

Globalcom will probably corner the market once this project goes live, many ISP will have to buy bandwidth from them, should happen quite soon
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by labiyemmy(m): 12:37pm On May 11, 2009
why is it a dream? what is wrong in crawling be4 learning to run or walk? Even in developed countries, did they get fast internet access in a jiffy? nope, they started somewhere, why do u people always talk like this?
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by palmwine(m): 12:43pm On May 11, 2009
tboy1:

dats why i pointed it out
he's comparing slowest connection in UK/US to the fastest connection in nigeria.

You said it all. Let met just add that telecom infrastructures are already in place in the developed world. In Nigeria you will have to pay area boys at every road junction when you want to lay your fiber optic cables, not to talk of mounting a microwave point to point radio etc. This is of course after paying the various local govt and state govt for various permits.

I just laugh when Nigerian compares Broadband service in Nigeria to UK.

How come no one is comparing PHCN service to the one provided in the UK? I guess we are all now use to it. undecided
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 12:48pm On May 11, 2009
when is that going to happen?
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 1:18pm On May 11, 2009
My friends in Nigeria keep telling me that internet connection is very slow there. So with all the noise that Zain and MTN are making, they can't provide Nigerians with fast Internet access It is really laughable when peeps compare Internet services in Nigeria with that of Britain. We should be thinking of how to beat South Africa and Egypt first in terms of the standard of Communications infrastructure. Britain is light years away from us. Cheers.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by blacksta(m): 1:54pm On May 11, 2009
Slow network = slow and useless government.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by touchmeder: 2:04pm On May 11, 2009
The thing ehn nawa i cant count the number of times i walked out of cybercafe without doing what i intended to do and spending good money. to open common yahoomail sef na die.
ever bin to the bank and they told u, ''sorry our system is down?'' thats usually the height to me
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by busibodi(f): 2:17pm On May 11, 2009
this is what happens when you dont allow your LANDLINE to develop.

one of the disadvantages of mobile phone; but we never see the big picture.

we should have insisted that all houses have LANDLINES before we go mobile.

we are still going to pay dearly for this error.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by DisGuy: 2:36pm On May 11, 2009
so what are the connections like in South Africa, Ghana, Kenya and co??

with technology i dont think crawling before walking applies we can just leapfrog into the future if we plan properly wink
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by babzyshe: 2:57pm On May 11, 2009
This problem is the same everywhere in Africa. Internet is slow and where it is fast, it is very expensive when compared to the UK, US n all.

The truth is that we cannot have fast internet in Nigeria without a stable and reliable cable connection to the rest of the world.
We currently have the SAT-3 underwater cable which connects Nigeria as well as some other African Nations to Europe and for those of us who use it, we know that it has suffered from gross mismanagement. If Nitel (transcorp or whatever they are called) is not disconnecting and extorting you today, some big Cargo ship will cut the cable tomorrow. As we speak, we hear that the sat-3 cable has been cut by some ship and they are still trying to find the cable underwater to repair it.

So the other ISP's (MTN ZAIN GLO STARCOMMS MULTILINKS SWIFT etc) have to result to Satelite as their main source, and even with this, they have to hop to southafrica, kenya, ghana etc cos we dont have a hub here in nigeria or they connect illegally across the border to the sat-3 terminal in benin republic.

With better management, the SAT-3 Cable can be a more stable backbone for internet access but as you know, THIS IS NAIJA

The Good news though is that we have at least 2 new underwater cables on their way to Nigeria Main1 and Globacom and this will drastically change the Internet and connectivity game in the country as there will be more players in the market.
Then and only then can we start  our journey to cheap and fast internet connectivity in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by moonraker(m): 3:28pm On May 11, 2009
@ redman44 & Dis Guy

tell them ooh, i was asked if i have used mtn and zain before before jumping into conclusions,

technology is a straight forward thing, its either you have it or u dont, whats the ideal with crawling bf walking.

for the lack of stable internet services, companies like mtn will put download quotas of 3gb. kai

don use am open office for our head.

@ Babzyshe

you do make a valid point but the issue is will that connection get to the final consumer??
here in japan, you click on a weblink and bam, its open, no delays and its cheap but check out starcomms.
trying clicking on a link, walaahi, you would have made eba and okro before it opens.

honestly, my guess is that its gonna be difficult getting broadband in nigeria.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by Sunny659(m): 4:03pm On May 11, 2009
I have just bought a new connection from Cobranet, they have a new product call UGO. I am using their 512 kbps connection which is very impressive. I was referred by a friend who uses their 256 kbps connection and is extremely satisfied with the speeds and performance. The CPE is N 25,000.00 and the 512k connection at 14,600.00 per month. Much better than mtn or starcomms ( which I have used earleir). Call their sales deptartment for more information. Cheers!!
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by obinna5000(m): 4:07pm On May 11, 2009
The dial-up connections are not fast at all.
The broadband (or mobile broadband) connections in Nigeria are faster than the dial-ups but not consistent in terms of speed.
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by babzyshe: 4:35pm On May 11, 2009
@ moonraker

You enjoy such speeds in Japan cos of the investment made into the massive and robust fibre and underwater cable backbone that was laid during the DotCom boom connection most of asia (India, Japan et al) to America and the West, so there is a foundation for reliable internet connectivity.

What we need to do is lay a solid cable foundation upon which fast broadband can sit and other internet based innovations.

Without this, we are not yet in business and we are still lounging on the beaches of internet mediocrity grin
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by wanville(m): 6:57pm On May 11, 2009
I smiley
Re: Why Is Fast Internet Only A Dream In Nigeria by biggjoe(m): 7:53pm On May 11, 2009
Like I said before You can get very fast internet connection in nigeria. Fast as compared with what you have in the west the only thing is that its not cheap at all.

If the ISP is in Nigeria, just forget it. They are all playing 'the more you look, the less you see' to Nigerians.

Mine is coming from Canada.

Its kind of business secret for me where I am so I cant give u details here, but for the spirit of open source in nairaland, I can give you all the details you need to get going with them if u holla me. Check my profile. Besides, any smart person can get these things off the internet.
I dont know why People do underestimate google soooooooo much.
There are loads of good ISPs you can hook up from here in naija.

However, remember its VSAT and you need VSAT equipments to do it.

All the the equipments will cost you about 250k if you are going for new ones but if you can get fairly used ones, you might be talking about 100k range.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Think Nigerians Need Macintosh Computers! / A Specified Authentication Package Error: Losing Network Connect / Line On My Laptop Screen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.