Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? (18537 Views)

Federal Government Denies Scrapping NYSC Scheme / Nysc: Compulsory, Voluntary Or Scrapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by nifesi01(f): 3:58pm On Nov 03, 2015
It should either be make voluntary or scrapped moreso,I believe every graduate in the country has a sector where they fits the point of posting a doctor to the hospital and a mechanical engineer to the school and a biology edu to LG or ministry is not that fine,post them to where they will have more experience, do what will add to their profession and not what will take away from it...everything is not theory
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by RolePlay(m): 4:03pm On Nov 03, 2015
Mehn this one long pass article o, na postgraduate thesis be this
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 03, 2015
REFORMED PLEASE...SHOULD BE MADE A 2YEAR EXPERIENCE.....A YEAR COMPULSORY AND SECOND IN ONE AMONG CANDIDATES THREE PREFERRED STATES OR EXEMPTED ON GROUNDS OF MARRIAGE,GAINFULLY EMPLOYED OR SPONSORED INTO VENTURE BY BOI,YOUWIN OR ANY STATE OWNED YOUTH EMPOWERMENT SETUP.
N19800 FEDERAL AND STATE ALLOWEE (IF ANY) WITHIN THE SECOND SERVICE YEAR IN ONES PREFERRED STATE I THINK MAKES ALOT OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT SENSE THAN SITTING AT HOME..
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Listic1: 4:07pm On Nov 03, 2015
einsteino:

Wow he writes so well. Though it was lengthy but I couldnt notice because I enjoyed reading it. Who is this guy?

Thank you very much. Please, follow @ODNEsq on Twitter to find out more. I have a few write ups on Nairaland and some more are on the way.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by mentorken05(m): 4:08pm On Nov 03, 2015
How can we be united when a certain okoye has to score 200 in an aptitude test and a certain Adamu just needs to score 10 in the same aptitude test just to get admitted
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by einsteino(m): 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2015
Listic1:

Thank you very much. Please, follow @ODNEsq on Twitter to find out more. I have a few write ups on Nairaland and some more are on the way.

Oops I am not much of a twitter buddy. As I am of the view that people only go there to waste their time following celebs who don't care about them.

are you "ODNEsq" ?
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Far from it. But the service year is one of the easiest times you can achieve it. In school you have courses and exams disturbing, in work you have absolutely no time. When serving, you have at least from 2pm till midnight for yourself doing nothing.
buh u don't expect me to jst read ccna materials and pass thier proffesional exams nah
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by me69: 4:18pm On Nov 03, 2015
I'm currently in NYSC camp and I feel I'm just wasting my time here. All activities meant for corpers are for them not to feel bored but they won't help you in the real world. The lectures are long and ineffective in this environment. Plus PPAs only contribute to create more unemployment because institutions know every year they get fresh graduate corpers to work for them pratically for free. Most NYSC activities should be incorporate into secondary school and university curriculum. NYSC is a waste of time it should be made none compolsory.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 03, 2015
Should be scrapped and replaced with compulsory military service for a year. Since security is poor in nigeria, we can learn to defend ourselves and it will instill patriotism and discipline in us

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 4:28pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
buh u don't expect me to jst read ccna materials and pass thier proffesional exams nah

The discussion is turning from NYSC been a waste of your time to you just reading CCNA materials o! There's a whole lot of stuff u can do. You can set up a virtual system on your laptop and practice CCNA commands. You can boost your knowledge of Linux (and System Administration) by also creating and playing around with a Virtual Linux server. I bet you have never heard of ITIL certication. You can prepare for that during NYSC. Many graduates have zero use able Microsoft office skills. I asked if you could do a pivot table with Excel? How good are your excel skills? Can you turn a column to become a row? Vice versa? Can you do VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX-MATCH? As a computing grad, considerable knowledge of these things is expected of you. I find that by the time I tell a Computer grad to write a simple IF() function in excel, the rubbish that comes from their mouth is "I hate programming".
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by LOVEGINO(m): 4:28pm On Nov 03, 2015
wachakuta:
Scrapped

Every graduate should go for 2yrs militarily training Just like Isreal.. so dat we can ve a Pool of soldiers to draw from wen needed
hahahaha! Abi ooo? E be like say u wan upgrade criminals 4 naija grin
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:29pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:
Everyone shouting "Scrapped" has not served yet. When you do then you won't be screaming that

I think rather than scrap it, they should make it voluntary with incentives. For example in entering the civil service after you have served, you should be ahead of an equivalent colleague who did not serve.
not true! I have served and I can authoritatively tell you it's a sheer waste of time and resources. That's just it!

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
murtala120:
I dont have time for the long write up but if u don't like NYSC it means either you are not a social person or u are an undergraduate or u where exempted when u graduated. Let's talk about reforming it than scrapping it
you are generalising rather hastily. I have served and I can say from inside-out that it should be scrapped! It's a waste of time and resources!!
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
Orikinla:

A good education system will not need NYSC members as teaching staff.
In a civilized system of education, no NYSC graduate is qualified to teach, because you cannot teach without a teachers certification.
The use of NYSC members as teachers contributed to the depreciation of the standard of secondary school education in Nigeria caused by unqualified teachers.
Have you seen the disgraceful poor knowledge of English of majority of NYSC members?
And English is the official language for teaching pupils and students in Nigeria.
So, how can they be good teachers when they cannot even express themselves in standard English grammar?
And their English comprehension is terrible.

The problem is most(proper) teachers posted to rural areas promptly get themselves reposted to the urban areas......as a result there is an oversupply of teachers in the cities, and an under-supply in the rural areas.(Poorly equipped schools is a big reason).

It is the same in my field.

That's why rural areas are so dependent on NYSC.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

The discussion is turning from NYSC been a waste of your time to you just reading CCNA materials o! There's a whole lot of stuff u can do. You can set up a virtual system on your laptop and practice CCNA commands. You can boost your knowledge of Linux (and System Administration) by also creating and playing around with a Virtual Linux server. I bet you have never heard of ITIL certication. You can prepare for that during NYSC. Many graduates have zero use able Microsoft office skills. I asked if you could do a pivot table with Excel? How good are your excel skills? Can you turn a column to become a row? Vice versa? Can you do VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, INDEX-MATCH? As a computing grad, considerable knowledge of these things is expected of you. I find that by the time I tell a Computer grad to write a simple IF() function in excel, the rubbish that comes from their mouth is "I hate programming".
lols, I laff @ ur last statement...buh talking about the excel thing, ofcuz, I can...and ofcuz, not really perfect on em
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 4:33pm On Nov 03, 2015
MsGlobalwonder:
not true! I have served and I can authoritatively tell you it's a sheer waste of time and resources. That's just it!

Care to share your NYSC experience here? Maybe I can highlight one or two things that you benefitted in serving. Remember that the primary purpose of NYSC is to encourage the meetings and sharing of ideas of Nigerian youths across culture.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:38pm On Nov 03, 2015
bushdoc9919:
No....keep it...for the reason that without NNPC.... NYSC

1.Many village schools won't have teachers.

2.Many village hospitals would not have medical personnel

3.Many Nigerian youth would be unemployed.

4.People won't learn how to get out of their comfort zone...and adapt to new environment.

Good points you've raised but I think you should clamour for the professionals instead! Basic education and health is the sole responsibility of the government and it shouldn't be vested on non-trained graduate most of which can't teach to save their lives! Teaching is a profession that shouldn't be forced on anyone. Government should invest in it's people. Graduates should invest in personal training and development. NYSC doesn't change unemployment. It has no effect on it at all.

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by moshould(m): 4:38pm On Nov 03, 2015
Mumu talk...go tell dangote that one...orioya
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Listic1: 4:43pm On Nov 03, 2015
flokii:
@OP I swear nysc fuckup if dem no nominate you for presidential award..

see as you analyze am in-to-to.. with decree/acts sote I no fit read am finish sef
omo you too much...

buh av you considered d number of people that'll lose their jobs as per federal cake

Lolz at nomination for Presidential Award. Thank you. Your concern regarding job loss is legitimate. However, like I said in the article everything will balance out in the long run. Even if it doesn't, the effect will be minimal.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by friends4ever(m): 4:44pm On Nov 03, 2015
Delete
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 4:53pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Care to share your NYSC experience here? Maybe I can highlight one or two things that you benefitted in serving. Remember that the primary purpose of NYSC is to encourage the meetings and sharing of ideas of Nigerian youths across culture.
well, the essence of NYSC is to promote unity and "acculturation" which is already abused. Ideally i'm Yoruba and I wasn't supposed to serve in a SW state, but guess what? I served in my state of Origin! Nothing spectacular. Nothing memorable. I hated it from the camp where nothing works.All I see was waste of resources. For instance, I gathered that the total cost of kit for each corp member is 20,000 naira. You can be rest assured all the kits given were not up to 8000naira. The food, no facilities at all.
Some are claiming impact and teaching, blablabla. How many corpers are actually good teachers? How many even stay in their PPA. I taught in a private school and I felt used! Not financially alone; these schools make so much money, they have at least 100students and each pay 20000 naira. Guess what? They have just 4 teachers and 10corpers. The school specially request for corpers. Corpers are equal to free labour. They pay corpers 5000 and their staff 15000. That includes extra hour lessons. It's ridiculous! I felt used. I would rather have learnt some personal and professional trainings than that. Schools should have teachers either public or private. We shouldn't promote mediocrity! The government should employ teachers. The proprietors too should employ and pay teachers well. If that is in place, graduates will be excited to teach for life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by DrownedFish: 4:55pm On Nov 03, 2015
wachakuta:
Scrapped

Every graduate should go for 2yrs militarily training Just like Isreal.. so dat we can ve a Pool of soldiers to draw from wen needed
It. Seems you want to turn Nigeria graduates to the most sophisticated arm robbers around. Imagine a pool of graduates without job and they ve got military training.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Forwetinnah: 5:01pm On Nov 03, 2015
SCRAAAAAAAPED!! ONE NIGERIA IS A HOAX!!
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Bnladan(m): 5:03pm On Nov 03, 2015
It should be scrapped ofcourse coz d aim has been defeated. Its no more a programme that promotes unity but rather a chance for Nigerian graduates to enjoy themselves and promote moral decadence. Many young graduates God-fearing lives have turned to devilish and fornicative. I'm sorry if u find dis harsh, but that's the fact.

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by DipoDee: 5:03pm On Nov 03, 2015
scofieldsimba:
It should be scrapped ...

Not adding anything to our economy.

It should b replaced with one year compulsary skill aquisition..
That's what's up!

Yes!
An intensive 12months skills acquisition program after which every Corp member will be given capital to start a business they choose.
Nigeria is an emerging economy, the market is so fertile that foreigners keep taking advantage of it while our graduates remain jobless.
I am of the opinion that schooling itself as it is in Public Tertiary institutions is even a waste of time, considering how a larger percentage of the graduates churned out end up jobless.
And yes, NYSC as it is right now is a full year wasted for a large percentage of Corp members.

4 Likes

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by yogun(f): 5:04pm On Nov 03, 2015
SCRAPPED
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by andyanders: 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2015
divinehand2003:
Scrapped ASAP .
WE NEED SKILL ACQUISITION CENTERS AS WELL AS VOCATIONAL OR ENTREPRENEURAL PROGRAMS IN ITS PLACE INSTEAD .

Supported.It should be scrapped.Those who needed this to continue are the NYSC officials who benefit from the scheme rather than youths who are been used and dumped as most of them die in the process.

Most youths having been either killed or handicapped as a result of the scheme ended up subjecting their parents to permanent pain for life.It has outstayed its usefulness

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Listic1: 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2015
einsteino:

Oops I am not much of a twitter buddy. As I am of the view that people only go there to waste their time following celebs who don't care about them.

are you "ODNEsq" ?

It is ok and I agree with you substantially on the Twitter thing. Yes, I am ODNEsq. The first three letters are my initials and the last three is the abbreviation of my professional appellation.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 5:06pm On Nov 03, 2015
MsGlobalwonder:
well, the essence of NYSC is to promote unity and "acculturation" which is already abused. Ideally i'm Yoruba and I wasn't supposed to serve in a SW state, but guess what? I served in my state of Origin! Nothing spectacular. Nothing memorable. I hated it from the camp where nothing works.All I see was waste of resources. For instance, I gathered that the total cost of kit for each corp member is 20,000 naira. You can be rest assured all the kits given were not up to 8000naira. The food, no facilities at all.
Some are claiming impact and teaching, blablabla. How many corpers are actually good teachers? How many even stay in their PPA. I taught in a private school and I felt used! Not financially alone; these schools make so much money, they have at least 100students and each pay 20000 naira. Guess what? They have just 4 teachers and 10corpers. The school specially request for corpers. Corpers are equal to free labour. They pay corpers 5000 and their staff 15000. That includes extra hour lessons. It's ridiculous! I felt used. I would rather have learnt some personal and professional trainings than that. Schools should have teachers either public or private. We shouldn't promote mediocrity! The government should employ teachers. The proprietors too should employ and pay teachers well. If that is in place, graduates will be excited to teach for life.

From your post it's safe to say you served in an urban area. Abeokuta I guess. And I'm sure you didn't miraculously get posted to Ogun state, leg was involved. These two things alone would have combined to make your service year unremarkable. You would have been surrounded by your kith and kin in camp and would not have experienced anything new. For the majority of people that serve far from there states, believe me the experience is very rich. More so when u serve in the rural area. Prior to my service year, I would never have touched and ibo person with a 10ft pole as I had hearsay misconceptions about them. And this is me that 100% of all Yoruba people will call ibo even though the only ibo words I knew then was "bia" and "ego". One year serving outside Igbo land but surrounded by loads of Igbo Corp members I can say I have a better understanding of them and their culture. Heck I even translated Igbo on one thread and got a good percentage of it right. What am I saying? When we adulterate the NYSC to suit us we don't see its benefit. As an Ogun girl what stopped you from going to Cross River to serve?

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by CriticalThought: 5:17pm On Nov 03, 2015
Scrapping or reforming NYSC is only dealing with the symptom. We are not tackling the disease. Federal Character plus many other issues, In a reasonable society, the best man/woman is assigned the job because at the ends of the day everyone will benefit from it. In Nigeria, we want to be sectional about everything then wonder why nothing works
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 5:18pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

From your post it's safe to say you served in an urban area. Abeokuta I guess. And I'm sure you didn't miraculously get posted to Ogun state, leg was involved. These two things alone would have combined to make your service year unremarkable. You would have been surrounded by your kith and kin in camp and would not have experienced anything new. For the majority of people that serve far from there states, believe me the experience is very rich. More so when u serve in the rural area. Prior to my service year, I would never have touched and ibo person with a 10ft pole as I had hearsay misconceptions about them. And this is me that 100% of all Yoruba people will call ibo even though the only ibo words I knew then was "bia" and "ego". One year serving outside Igbo land but surrounded by loads of Igbo Corp members I can say I have a better understanding of them and their culture. Heck I even translated Igbo on one thread and got a good percentage of it right. What am I saying? When we adulterate the NYSC to suit us we don't see its benefit. As an Ogun girl what stopped you from going to Cross River to serve?
well, I served in the peak of insecurity in the country and much as I tried; I couldn't stop my parents from "calling" people on my behalf! My brother served in Jigawa and missed the BH bombs with just a little distance, actually he was 3houses away from the police station bombed. His lodge too was attacked and we lived with fear throughout his service. My family couldn't risk that. Most people posted far don't stay. They pay their way through. It's now a sham. It could have been good and helpful then, but it's obsolete now. I have all the tribes around me and I can know more about them. I can also read about them. Lool... well, nothing serious but I HATE NYSC!! Scrap, Scrap.... scrap the gaddam thing!!!!!! angry angry Lool

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by aredil: 5:19pm On Nov 03, 2015
after all is been said with vilification on d scheme whether to be revamped or scrapped,I would nt be opinionated to any suggestion to what is at stalk in confirmation tho wat d writter jst hinted Buh looking at d scheme frm another perspective,it isn't wrong to serve with the Renaissance of ds country at a point when reformation shud be put to consideration at all levels putting d youth forth to beta d reformation instead of appeaseing an old system Wch use to be of benifit to graduates before nw.....I shudnt wnt to fill other holes in d system Buh we all knw dat d system shud be an excercise for all irrespective of our integrity or personality and also a know how to entrepreneurs n in contrast a certification to all after d service.#icallforreformationandknowhowonnysc#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Female Corper Donates Borehole To Akwa Ibom Community (Photo) / Corper Precious Died In A Car Crash In Jos. (pix) / Read Ise L’ogun Ise: Classic Yoruba Poem By J.F. Odunjo With English Translation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.