Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church (15628 Views)

Names Of Victims Of Ozubulu Catholic Church Massacre Released / Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here / Man Who Donated His Hotel Building To Catholic Church, Turns Keke Napep Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
Kamxin:

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
So Christ lied?
So Christ laboured in vain?
I repeat The Catholic church was not made for the bible, but the bible was made for the Catholic church.

Please, do not waste your time listening to @loksman. He calls himself a Christian but he believes that there will be no judgement and that there is no life after death. Check all his posts in Nairaland.

This guy is not even serious with himself.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 08, 2015
Jolliano:

Please, do not waste your time listening to @loksman. He calls himself a Christian but he believes that there will be no judgement and that there is no life after death. Check all his posts in Nairaland.

This guy is not even serious with himself.
Mr I don't see anything bad in what I wrote,it's just my opinion and it doesn't define me...dånke...btw you seem to have more knowledge of the Catholic church than I do... smiley
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
Kamxin:

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

So Christ lied?
So Christ laboured in vain?

I repeat The Catholic church was not made for the bible, but the bible was made for the Catholic church.
I wouldn't know if he did...moreover I wasn't there dear. You see why Catholics are hypocrites?..you just said the church wasn't made for the bible..really? C'mon dude you sound confused.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 08, 2015
uboma:

You can go and twist the Bible for all I care. This is what you and your like minded fellows do, deceive naïve people.

Cite just one example of a recorded case from the Bible where an infant was sprinkled with water, all in the name of being baptized. Even Jesus Christ, the role model for Christians was not baptized as an infant but as a full grown man.

Keep wallowing in ignorance.

I believe u sir.

But even Jesus Christ, the role model for Christians was never married and died at 33 yet some people who claim to be Christians get married daily and even live up to 80. You see brother, we are all in this together.

1 Like

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Mrsenator(m): 11:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
You can never understand what you don't belive and you can never belive what you dont understand....... Niara land is never the best solution in matter of your salvation.. Thank God am a catholic

2 Likes

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by italo3: 6:27am On Nov 09, 2015
Speechless3:
Okay i need your help. Was born by catholic parents and by default, amma catholic too, but what i dont understand is my birth church adopts two authorities. Its own and the bible. And to be sincere, its hard ta admit it, the bible is seen as a sub-authority...

Well not like i even read the bible ummm but i have this feeling something is nat in place.

Can someone figure this out.

I still love my church but...

Cc: Italo, Rich4God, Olaadegbu, Malvisguy and others...

Do you know that the bible was compiled and canonized by the Church in 382Ad?

Do you know that even the Bible says the church is the pillar and foundation of truth?
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 09, 2015
italo3:

Do you know that the bible was compiled and canonized by the Church in 382Ad?
Compiled, yes but canonised? explain sir.

italo3:
Do you know that even the Bible says the church is the pillar and foundation of truth?

Of course the church is the soul custodian of truth that was authored by God himself. I have always known this church to be the roman catholic church until i started reading the epistles few days ago. The churches depicted do not look like our catholic church to be sincere but maybe am reading them wrongly, dont know. Already very worried. Are there books you think i should read instead of the bible? pls share.

Thank u
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 11:10am On Nov 09, 2015
uboma:

You can go and twist the Bible for all I care. This is what you and your like minded fellows do, deceive naïve people.
Cite just one example of a recorded case from the Bible where an infant was sprinkled with water, all in the name of being baptized. Even Jesus Christ, the role model for Christians was not baptized as an infant but as a full grown man.
Keep wallowing in ignorance.

Baptism is the circumcision of the New Covenant. Were
infants circumcised or not? They were.

" Jesus said, "Let the little children come to
me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
He never said wait till they are older, then bring them to
me.

Read Acts Chapter 2 v 39 - 43.

1 Like

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 11:36am On Nov 09, 2015
Speechless3:
Of course the church is the soul custodian of truth that was authored by God himself. I have always known this church to be the roman catholic church until i started reading the epistles few days ago. The churches depicted do not look like our catholic church to be sincere but maybe am reading them wrongly, dont know. Already very worried. Are there books you think i should read instead of the bible? pls share.
Thank u

Actually, the Canon of the bible means the list of the books that are in the bible. After many years of dispute and arguments concerning which books were inspired by God and which were not, the Catholic Church founded by Christ on Peter and the other Apostles decided to once and for all determine the Canon.

And in 382AD at the council of Rome, a list of 73 books was selected under the inspiration ands guidance of the Holy Spirit out of about 3000 books.

This was very important because so many people were writing rubbish and attaching the name of Peter and other Apostles to the rubbish. So in Galatia, some one will write lies and call it the Gospel of Thomas and since there was no internet or anything to confirm from, people would believe that Peter actually wrote it.

The Catholic Church designed the list under the Inspiration once and for all in 382AD.

And there was no argument until Luther tried to remove some books including REVELATIONS.

THE BIBLE CAME FROM THE CHURCH.

READ 1 TIMOTHY 3:15

1 Like

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
Kamxin:

Catholic doctrines are same throughout the world.
Rejection of any Catholic doctrine by anyone makes him a protestant, just like you. The transition is automatic.

So my question still stand,
why can't the thousands of protestant denominations agree on the same doctrine?
The spirit that guide protestants give you people different will of God that is opposite of one another, only to bring you people together to lambast the holy mother church.

Do you want me to quote the words of your scholars that argue against your doctrine, and still catholics?
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 12:40pm On Nov 09, 2015
JMAN05:

Do you want me to quote the words of your scholars that argue against your doctrine, and still catholics?

Scholars don't determine the Catholic Faith. The Apostles and their successors which make up the Magisterium are the ones who determined the Faith according to the truth that the Holy Spirit taught them just as Jesus said He would.

1 Like

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Kamxin(m): 1:33pm On Nov 09, 2015
JMAN05:

Scholars ke? Every Catholic is a scholar, every written word could be argued without rejecting it.
Argument promotes understanding, whether for or against. Catholic doctrines are voluminous so human poor understanding can lead to argument to investigate what exactly the doctrine is saying. As you know, that does not imply rejection.

Reminder: my dear why are you still evading the above question, answer it and restore your peace of mind.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by PastorAIO: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
Kamxin:

@op do not listen to mushroom interpreters on this forum, they have no doctrine, but invent improvise doctrines to suit nomadic transitions. The word of God is static and Catholic doctrines are static, none has contradicted the other in its 2000 years in existence. So don't shake at all.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 09, 2015
Kamxin:

Scholars ke? Every Catholic is a scholar, every written word could be argued without rejecting it.
Argument promotes understanding, whether for or against. Catholic doctrines are voluminous so human poor understanding can lead to argument to investigate what exactly the doctrine is saying. As you know, that does not imply rejection.

Reminder: my dear why are you still evading the above question, answer it and restore your peace of mind.

Don't be too fast Oga. Now what if I present a doctrine initiated by a pope, which another pope came and nullified? Will that prove to you that there are disunity among your infallibles? Of course, if pope A was wrong, pope B would be right, do u agree? As such, we would now try to know which spirit communicated to each of the infallibles.

Mind you, what I said above is about a teaching different from what the church catholic holds as a doctrine, yet those scholars are still catholics.

I will come with the quotes. You even opine that none of ur doctrines had contradicted any. You must be new in this faith
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 09, 2015
Jolliano:

Scholars don't determine the Catholic Faith. The Apostles and their successors which make up the Magisterium are the ones who determined the Faith according to the truth that the Holy Spirit taught them just as Jesus said He would.

The issue is that not all hold to the church doctrine, and that is disunity inside the church. Of course, am not a protestant. But you guys also interfaith with protestant and still claim they are on there own. So hilarious.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Kamxin(m): 5:58pm On Nov 09, 2015
JMAN05:

Don't be too fast Oga. Now what if I present a doctrine initiated by a pope, which another pope came and nullified?

You must be under some kind of illusion, the pope have no right to reject any doctrine and none has done so. It is a Catholic tradition. Soon you will Wikipedia yourself as a form of support to your stand.

The question I asked you is still begging for answer.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Kamxin(m): 6:17pm On Nov 09, 2015
JMAN05:

The issue is that not all hold to the church doctrine, and that is disunity inside the church. Of course, am not a protestant. But you guys also interfaith with protestant and still claim they are on there own. So hilarious.

Laughable

People like you would like to see disunity where there is unity. Lay more accusation to derail the topic.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 6:15am On Nov 10, 2015
JMAN05:

Dialogue with protestants doesn't mean we are united with them. I can give you lists of differences between The Catholic Church and all the other faith communities that people now call churches.

Not holding to the doctrine is different from accepting the doctrine.
If I'm born into a family where trousers are banned, I may have a personal dislike of that doctrine but I can never take the place and authority of my father and try to change it.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by italo3: 8:27am On Nov 10, 2015
Speechless3:

To formally declare that the bible (the chosen books) is the inspired word of God.

Thank u

What in the Epistles is unlike our Catholic Church?

I think I'll recommend some websites that make a defense for the Catholic faith with scriptures and the writings of the early Church Fathers, who were the first successors and associates of the apostles.

https://www.biblechristiansociety.com/home.php (read the apologetics section)

http://www.johnsalza.com/p/scripturefathers.html?m=1 (you'd have to scroll down to see links to different topics)

If you have any concern or challenge at all, please let me know.

Then I have some questions for you to ponder:

If the Catholic Church is not the true Church of Jesus Christ, then which Church is it?

If the Catholic Church is a false Church, then how can we trust the Epistles/Bible it compiled to be true?
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 10, 2015
Kamxin:

You must be under some kind of illusion, the pope have no right to reject any doctrine and none has done so. It is a Catholic tradition. Soon you will Wikipedia yourself as a form of support to your stand.

The question I asked you is still begging for answer.

Gregory I (785-90) calls anyone Antichrist who takes the name of universal bishop, and contrariwise Boniface III (607-cool made the parricide Emperor Phocas confer that title upon him. Paschal II (1088-99) and Eugenius III (1145-53) authorized duelling; Julius II (1509) and Pius IV (1560) forbade it. Eugenius IV (1431-39) approved of the Council of Basle and the restitution of the chalice to the church of Bohemia; Pius II (1458) revoked the concession. Hadrian II (867-872) declared civil marriages to be valid; Pius VII (1800-23) condemned them. To mention but a few.

So, which of the Popes had the true spirit, and which has the false?

2. When Protestant, who you interfaith with come, they will answer you. What is the difference between Catholic and protestants? Do they not interfaith? What then is the point of shouting protestants?
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2015
Jolliano:

Dialogue with protestants doesn't mean we are united with them. I can give you lists of differences between The Catholic Church and all the other faith communities that people now call churches.

Not holding to the doctrine is different from accepting the doctrine.
If I'm born into a family where trousers are banned, I may have a personal dislike of that doctrine but I can never take the place and authority of my father and try to change it.

Am not talking of dialogue. If protestants are heretics, you shouldn't interfaith with them. That is a Chameleon-like attitude. Rev 18:4
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 5:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
JMAN05:

Am not talking of dialogue. If protestants are heretics, you shouldn't interfaith with them. That is a Chameleon-like attitude. Rev 18:4

What do you now mean by inter-faith?
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 16, 2015
Jolliano:

What do you now mean by inter-faith?

It might be seen from combine service often seen in many churches. Atimes, we see association of churches. That is taking part with people you heretics.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by semasir: 4:36am On Nov 18, 2015
The truth don't actually cost anything and that's exactly what you just said. The Catholic Church is a denominational setup that really have got a bigger share if not the biggest to deceiving many.

Their doctrine are purely man-made placing their opinions over Biblical standards. Please search thru the Bible very and you'll know what is right even more.

Speechless3:
Okay i need your help. Was born by catholic parents and by default, amma catholic too, but what i dont understand is my birth church adopts two authorities. Its own and the bible. And to be sincere, its hard ta admit it, the bible is seen as a sub-authority...

Well not like i even read the bible ummm but i have this feeling something is nat in place.

Can someone figure this out.

I still love my church but...

Cc: Italo, Rich4God, Olaadegbu, Malvisguy and others...

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by semasir: 4:38am On Nov 18, 2015
Sir, may I ask you if there was any church before the Catholic Church?

italo3:

What in the Epistles is unlike our Catholic Church?

I think I'll recommend some websites that make a defense for the Catholic faith with scriptures and the writings of the early Church Fathers, who were the first successors and associates of the apostles.

https://www.biblechristiansociety.com/home.php (read the apologetics section)

http://www.johnsalza.com/p/scripturefathers.html?m=1 (you'd have to scroll down to see links to different topics)

If you have any concern or challenge at all, please let me know.

Then I have some questions for you to ponder:

If the Catholic Church is not the true Church of Jesus Christ, then which Church is it?

If the Catholic Church is a false Church, then how can we trust the Epistles/Bible it compiled to be true?
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by semasir: 4:47am On Nov 18, 2015
Please read Colossians 2.8-10. The OP isn't immature to discern this. In the meantime, baptism is for remission of sins and never applicable to infants anywhere; please learn how to apply a Biblical passage with the previous chapter/verses/content to get the message and not lift a passage to suit your claims. Thanks

Jolliano:

Baptism is the circumcision of the New Covenant. Were
infants circumcised or not? They were.

" Jesus said, "Let the little children come to
me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
He never said wait till they are older, then bring them to
me.

Read Acts Chapter 2 v 39 - 43.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 6:29am On Nov 18, 2015
semasir:
The truth don't actually cost anything and that's exactly what you just said. The Catholic Church is a denominational setup that really have got a bigger share if not the biggest to deceiving many.

Their doctrine are purely man-made placing their opinions over Biblical standards. Please search thru the Bible very and you'll know what is right even more.

The Catholic Church is not a denomination. The Catholic Church is the Church founded by Jesus on Peter and The Apostles.
The Catholic Church is the only Church that trace its Histiory back to Christ even protestant and atheist scholars know this.
No other church(faith community) can do that.

Name one doctrine and let us see if it is biblical or not.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 6:31am On Nov 18, 2015
semasir:

No,there wasn't.
Except you are using Typology and then we can say Israel was the Old Testament Church.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by Jolliano: 6:38am On Nov 18, 2015
semasir:
Please read Colossians 2.8-10. The OP isn't immature to discern this. In the meantime, baptism is for remission of sins and never applicable to infants anywhere; please learn how to apply a Biblical passage with the previous chapter/verses/content to get the message and not lift a passage to suit your claims. Thanks

When Peter said baptised all the household of Cornelius, was it written "He baptized all the household except for the children."?

When God told Abraham in Gen 17 to circumcise his household, was Ishmael circumcised? Yes.
At what time did God ask them to circumcise new born children? When they were eight years old.

Baptism is the New Circumcision. Why would children be excluded from it.

Read Gen 17 well and see what it meant for those who were uncircumcised.

1 Like

Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by italo: 9:16am On Nov 18, 2015
semasir:

1. The Catholic Church is the only Church. There is nothing like "denominations."

2. If Catholic doctrine is man made then the bible is man made because it is Catholic doctrine that compiled and canonized the bible.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by italo: 9:19am On Nov 18, 2015
semasir:

No.

Do you know of any?

Give me the name and/or show me where I can find it today.
Re: Help: Which Authority? The Bible Or The Catholic Church by italo: 9:26am On Nov 18, 2015
JMAN05:

Gregory I (785-90) calls anyone Antichrist who takes the name of universal bishop, and contrariwise Boniface III (607-cool made the parricide Emperor Phocas confer that title upon him. Paschal II (1088-99) and Eugenius III (1145-53) authorized duelling; Julius II (1509) and Pius IV (1560) forbade it. Eugenius IV (1431-39) approved of the Council of Basle and the restitution of the chalice to the church of Bohemia; Pius II (1458) revoked the concession. Hadrian II (867-872) declared civil marriages to be valid; Pius VII (1800-23) condemned them. To mention but a few.

So, which of the Popes had the true spirit, and which has the false?

Please start one by one, to show where each of those Popes made the pronouncements and show whether they were speaking infallible or just stating their opinions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

When God Does Not Answer Your Prayers / How Much Do You Give As Offering In Church? / Is Allah Not The Arabic Word For Jehovah God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.