Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,710 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? (36809 Views)

See What Kenyan Student Did When He Was Given A Difficult Math Question In Exam / NECO Math Questions Some Teachers Couldn't Solve / Test Your IQ With This Math (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by predatorX: 8:04pm On Nov 04, 2015
EverestdeBliu:

this doesn't change the answer from 30deg'. Mind you,even while "re-constructing",u don't contrast or expand the shape,but draw some segmented/imaginary lines to get definite shapes or angles to ease your working,and these extensions must be guided with geometrical rules. The kind of re-construction u recommended above is flawed

femi4:
I m sorry, you are not scientific enough for us to have this conversation. I can't begin to tell you many reasons why the angle can't be 30 degrees especially by inspection and construction.

Femi make i help am understand small grin grin grin
you sound very learned!! Why do i deduce contradictions in your arguments undecided undecided undecided undecided

using basic mathematics:
center of the Polygon is 360, divided by 12 = 30degrees.
from center to circumference are 2 equal radii forming an ISOCELES triangle of equal BASE ANGLES = 2Y
Sum of angles in ISOCELES triangle = 30 + 2Y =180
2Y=180-30; 2Y = 150; Y =75
if you re-construct the shape, using X as the centre, you would have 4 x 75 = 300
360 -300 = 60

A-LEVOS cool cool cool cool cool cool
Concerning my re-constructions, it doesn't necessarily have to be geometrically solved. Geometry is just the beginning of Line theories.
i do not think you've heard of a topic called "VECTORS" before. i just applied vector rotation principle and got an equilateral triangle at the centre. I can assume all chords as unit vector representations and solve vectorially too.

The circle is the Alpha and Omega of any construction, it is the only thing that is perfect from an engineering point of view.

i could also decide to take the length of one radius of the polygon and continuously project concentric circles using that same radius, until i arrive at a circle whose centre is the X in question. From there i would know what angle is at the centre. AutoCAD would come in handy here if you are the kind who did not do TD in school.

All said, the answer is 60, TAKE IT TO JUPITER

1 Like

Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by amanikondo: 8:04pm On Nov 04, 2015
Le me eat Eba first.
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 04, 2015
monex:

correct although a faster way is to look at that space where the coins meet as an equilateral triangle with three sides of size 12. so the angle between the coins is then 60 degrees (equilateral triangles have equal angles of size 60deg)

Hmmm...why assume its an equilateral triangle cos it looks so? Though ur answer's correct but in math u shouldn't assume if its not clearly stated.

Ok if d number of sides was 10 instead of 12, dat area would still luk like an equilateral triangle but d answer won't be 60

1 Like

Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 04, 2015
Rexyl:

Yeah, just as simple as ABC. But the process can be more simplified.

30°+30°= 60° according to the formula.

30 + 30? Which n which 30 and how does it add up to d angle btw d coins?
Actually those two lines drawn within d polygon are useless to d questn. It can still b solvd w/o d lines
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 04, 2015
proudly9ja:

A circle has infinite number of sides

Talk within d context of d question.
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 04, 2015
Kockane:

Bros, I'm afraid you are so wrong!

360 degrees divided by 12 sides equal 30 degrees. what da hell is baffling in this biko?

I think its d angle btw d coins that's being asked for.

And yea there's notin baffling abt d questn. I think d headline's just catchy
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Koolmexxi(m): 8:19pm On Nov 04, 2015
kaycexx:

You stay in Ajangbadi.... lol?
I spent my early primary school years there.. Bright future Academy.. Don't know if it's still there
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Nov 04, 2015
Jacksonville:

Very correct !!...kudos

Best n simplest approach. Don't know why some pple are complicating it n talking abt t-square.

1 Like

Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by galantjoe(m): 9:26pm On Nov 04, 2015
a coin is circle.angle of a circle is 360degree. each section ot the coin is 30 ie 360/12.

so the angle at the tangent is 30 degree. corresponding angles are equal.

answer is 30 degree
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by babseg(m): 10:07pm On Nov 04, 2015
melakes:
U go fear answers! smh. anyways 2 diff methods same answers.
method 1.
sum of angles in a circle= 360°.
no. of sides = 12,
x= 360/12=30°

method 2.
sum of interior angles in a polygon= (n-2)180
n is no. of sides=12
= (12-2)180
=10(180)= 1800
angle of 1 interior.= 1800/12=150°
(wsh i cud draw d triangle formed but cant.)
from d triangle,1 of d angles=150/2=75°
sum of the angles of the triangle= (75+75+x)=180°
therefore, x=180°-(75+75)°
x=30°.

I like u die because u r a proud olodo

2 Likes

Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Theflint1(m): 10:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
babseg:

i will prove it so you can be the next clown tongue
grin grin grin grin Where's your proof? Clown.
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by wemmy01(m): 11:27pm On Nov 04, 2015
simply 360/12 wch is 30
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by alexis2: 11:53pm On Nov 04, 2015
the chords are 12,so d Centre angle for each of the obtu se triangle is 30degrees.then obtuse triangle has each of the base angles as 75 degrees (180-30=150/2=75).then for angle x,knowing that angle at a point is 360. then 360 -(75+75+75+75 ie 4 angles of d obtuse that makes d point)=60
tnks
I love maths because it truly defines the saying that there are many ways to kill a rat
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Theflint1(m): 1:15am On Nov 05, 2015
babseg:
Theflint1

solution and proof

http://www.unilad.co.uk/news/can-you-solve-the-maths-problem-that-baffled-australian-high-school-students/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7BKdNxjeQ
That's the man, thumbs up. You just learnt a lesson in proper reporting. Next time, post a link to any report you are giving.

You ain't a clown no more. grin grin
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by blazingkid21(m): 2:10pm On Nov 05, 2015
babseg:
What's the answer
what ur own answer
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Mpanyi: 8:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
60 degrees. simple!
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by dsavant(m): 9:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
Complete circle=360' since there are 12 angles on this circle, tthen x=360 / 12.
X=30
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by chadwidfriz: 10:33am On Apr 04, 2016
angle of an equilateral triangle 60° datz what we are lookin 4 shaa simple

Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Chukwuka16: 10:38am On Apr 28, 2018
swezenberg:
The answer is just 30 degree. The Polygon was only used to confuse many. Even if you use a polygon. It is a regular polygon with interior angle = 150 degree each. Since the triangle is Isosceles you have base angles s 75 degree each and and the last angle x =180-2(75) deg =30 deg. Besides the sum of the angle in a circle will remain to be 360. So 360/12 =30 deg

From an Engineer's perspective

Are you sure it's not 60 degrees? 150 degrees on each polygon away from angle at a point (360-300) leaves 60 degrees. Just saying.
Re: Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? by Martinez19(m): 10:58am On Apr 28, 2018
60° smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The difference between 'Goodluck' and 'Good luck' / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? / 4 Lesbian Students Expelled From Kebbi State College Of Science And Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.