Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,323 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:30 PM

Oil Light Delay - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Light Delay (1433 Views)

See FRSC Explanation On Delay In Issuance Of Driver’s Licence / Oil Light / My Oil Light Comes On 1 Minute After I Start My Engine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Light Delay by niceguy2015: 12:54pm On Nov 04, 2015
Hello, i noticed that my engine oil light delays for about 3 seconds after the battery light and CEL light have gone off , plus the car stutters a bit before it starts, but it starts once .

This only happens when the engine is cold or in the mornings. I have changed my oil and filter recently.

I use a Honda Accord 2005 model v6 . My fellow nairalanders Please advice .... THanks in advance ...
Re: Oil Light Delay by nissparts(m): 2:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
Your check engine light is on I presume?
Re: Oil Light Delay by niceguy2015: 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2015
nissparts:
Your check engine light is on I presume?

Yea
Re: Oil Light Delay by jidesam168(m): 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
Am also facing similar problem, I was travelling from lagos to ibadan and my engine oil icon on the dash board keep blinking,I don't realy know what's wrong, pls help me. The mechanic said the engine is weak cos it's smoking wen it is well accelerated.
Re: Oil Light Delay by nissparts(m): 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
niceguy2015:

Yea

So, start with a scan
Re: Oil Light Delay by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
Both of you warm up to buy new engines.
Re: Oil Light Delay by mayor2013: 8:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
niceguy2015:
Hello, i noticed that my engine oil light delays for about 3 seconds after the battery light and CEL light have gone off , plus the car stutters a bit before it starts, but it starts once .

This only happens when the engine is cold or in the mornings. I have changed my oil and filter recently.

I use a Honda Accord 2005 model v6 . My fellow nairalanders Please advice .... THanks in advance ...

What brand and viscosity of oil did you use?
Re: Oil Light Delay by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2015
Wrong Oil type suspected. I hope it hasn't caused irreversible damage.
Re: Oil Light Delay by mayor2013: 10:13pm On Nov 04, 2015
0rex:
Wrong Oil type suspected. I hope it hasn't caused irreversible damage.

Worse case another engine cry
Re: Oil Light Delay by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 04, 2015
mayor2013:

Worse case another engine cry
Unfortunately.
Re: Oil Light Delay by ataspray(m): 10:49pm On Nov 04, 2015
jidesam168:
Am also facing similar problem, I was travelling from lagos to ibadan and my engine oil icon on the dash board keep blinking,I don't realy know what's wrong, pls help me. The mechanic said the engine is weak cos it's smoking wen it is well accelerated.
be wholeheartedly rest assured that ur engine is GONE.
Re: Oil Light Delay by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 05, 2015
jidesam168:

From my point of view these could be two potentially unrelated issues.

If it were my car I would do a proper compression test and remove and replace the oil pressure switch.

Exhaust smoke at WOT doesn't necessarily mean that your engine is toast. What color is the smoke? Are you loosing oil? Could it be a bad MAF?

1 Like

Re: Oil Light Delay by jidesam168(m): 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
EgunMogaji:

From my point of view these could be two potentially unrelated issues.

If it were my car I would do a proper compression test and remove and replace the oil pressure switch.

Exhaust smoke at WOT doesn't necessarily mean that your engine is toast. What color is the smoke? Are you loosing oil? Could it be a bad MAF?
thanks boss for your attention, the oil is not short o, and the smoke is mild, and pls what is MAF?
Re: Oil Light Delay by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2015
Thanks for pointing that out @EgunMogaji.

But I would expect the OP to mention an observed increase in fuel consumption or loss of power.
Re: Oil Light Delay by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
jidesam168:
thanks boss for your attention, the oil is not short o, and the smoke is mild, and pls what is MAF?

If you're not loosing oil then the smoke is from excess fuel. Mild is subjective but the truth is that you shouldn't really have colored smoke from the exhaust of a modern engine (still not sure what car you drive so this is all wag).

MAF = mass air flow sensor, it's what measures incoming air into the intake tract and what the computer then uses to decide how much gas to inject. So if it's off then too much gas equals smoke but I suspect you'll have thrown a CEL by now which you should decide. Not all errors throws codes but are stored so you should still scan your car.

Based on what you're saying, if it's my car, buying a new engine is down on the list. This engine is talking to you, you just need to decipher the speech.

Good luck.
Re: Oil Light Delay by femicousim: 9:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
@OP
how often do you do oil change?
what kind of oil?
i observe that once my car is due for service, the oil light lingers a bit before going off, it could be oil pump on its way out, i might even be your OCV
Re: Oil Light Delay by niceguy2015: 8:39pm On Nov 08, 2015
femicousim:
@OP
how often do you do oil change?
what kind of oil?
i observe that once my car is due for service, the oil light lingers a bit before going off, it could be oil pump on its way out, i might even be your OCV

do you have an idea how much the oil pump is ?

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Launches A Wooden Car (toyota Setsuna) - Forbe / Android 6.0, 7 Inch Universal Single DIN, Full Touch Screen -WiFi,Playstore,NAV / Help My Honda Baby Boy 4 Plugs Drinks Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.