Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,502 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (67183 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / 4 Things Igbo People Like. / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 10:37am On Nov 08, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
It is foolishness if you don't know that Oyibo is an Igboword. It is also foolishness when you fail to realise that no Igbo claims Ashewo to be Igbo. The Igbo word for Ashewo is Akwunakwuna or Iko for side chick and that is what we use in deep igbo conversations.
It is also foolishness when you have refuse to acknowledge that Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo made movies before 1992 but what we know as Nollywood has igbo written all over it. Pls refer to threads about Nollywood.
yoruba started movie first since 1960s in lagos hope u know that? it was it that later becomes Nollywood

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by somegirl1: 11:02am On Nov 08, 2015
funmijoyb:

Stop chest-beating, over nothing, there is nothing like igbo Nollywood. We have d English Nollywood which came out of Yoruba movie industry (Nigerian Cinema) in the 1970s and later become Nigerian movie industry known as (Nollywood). Yorubas founded English Nollywood and Yorubawood. The real Nollywood is the Yorubawood

The Hausa movie industry started theirs in the Northern part later(Hausawood). We all know if we give igbo people an inch, they will go miles. That's exactly what is happening in the Nigerian Movie industry, music industry e.t.c in the south west

But for now, there is nothing like igbo movie industry in the eastern part. English Nollywood comprises all Nigerian Culture not igbo alone. that's why in a Single movie, you can see an Hausa man, Yoruba, Edo 's culture e.t.c

Until you believe yourself, you will not be able to convince others.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by IlekeHD: 5:28pm On Nov 08, 2015
Nawa o.

This is true. The claiming has begun.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

I'm actually cheering her reasoning, she's insinuating that the musician in question familiarise Yoruba population with 'tintin' through 'love wantinti' how did Yoruba come to shop for a word for 'small' in a song they never know exist? Is it a canticle for paradise?

When women give birth in Yoruba, elder would say 'ayo abara bintin' (joy in small body). bi ntin is 'like small' in Yoruba, and there are many way of saying it.

I never said 'tini tini' is not Yoruba. Quote me where I said it. However, I only said that, love nwa nti nti which Yorubas pronounce as love wan tin tin is an originally Igbo phrase.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
funmijoyb:

Stop chest-beating, over nothing, there is nothing like igbo Nollywood. We have d English Nollywood which came out of Yoruba movie industry (Nigerian Cinema) in the 1970s and later become Nigerian movie industry known as (Nollywood). Yorubas founded English Nollywood and Yorubawood. The real Nollywood is the Yorubawood

The Hausa movie industry started theirs in the Northern part later(Hausawood). We all know if we give igbo people an inch, they will go miles. That's exactly what is happening in the Nigerian Movie industry, music industry e.t.c in the south west

But for now, there is nothing like igbo movie industry in the eastern part. English Nollywood comprises all Nigerian Culture not igbo alone. that's why in a Single movie, you can see an Hausa man, Yoruba, Edo 's culture e.t.c

Lmao. Just like someone said, until you first believe what you have written, you will not be able to convince others. grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 7:38pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Oh, I usually take that word for obudo, from 'obodoyibo' we often save word in the brain with our our default accent.

ibudo means site for dwellingplace, a foundation. What does obodo means?

Obodo means country or state in Igbo. Obodo oyibo means European country or white man's land.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 7:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Thanks bigfrancis.

Some words are shared words, you can't claim ownership of such word except your version of it (oyinbo, oyibo) because you can't be the lawyer and still be the final judge at the same time.

But look at ibudo, obudo this word 'ibudo' goes to the foundation of Yoruba itself, and you find it as everyday igbo lingo. Whose word is it?

Even the word igbo is readily available in Yoruba, whose word is it? Who coined these words that we share?

Youth, we are too weak in strenght, we are walled in, we don't want intruders in and don't want to go out.

We are sitting on the fence that divide us saying, 'it is our fence', 'no, it is our fence!'

Lol. Here you go claiming 'obodo' an Igbo word as Yoruba. There's nothing I will not hear on this forum.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by absoluteSuccess: 7:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Lol. Here you go claiming 'obodo' an Igbo word as Yoruba. There's nothing I will not hear on this forum.

Bigfrancis, you be funny guy wallai. What I'm saying is, the word obudo has the same feature as Ibudo, which is Yoruba for dwellingplace.

I took obodo for obudo, thanks for correcting me on the actual word. I am actually saying that there are words that we share that can't be claim by anyone as theirs, except the version found in our language.

Quit smoking higbo++, it is not too good for you. Come back to christian fold and use your keen mastermind for christ. Its better than the mod thing and the (your) igbo agenda.

Jesus loves you.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 8:17pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Bigfrancis, you be funny guy wallai. What I'm saying is, the word obudo has the same feature as Ibudo, which is Yoruba for dwellingplace.

I took obodo for obudo, thanks for correcting me on the actual word. I am actually saying that there are words that we share that can't be claim by anyone as theirs, except the version found in our language.

Quit smoking higbo++, it is not too good for you. Come back to christian fold and use your keen mastermind for christ. Its better than the mod thing and the (your) igbo agenda.

Jesus loves you.

smiley

My point still remains Obodo Oyibo is an Igbo phrase, and Obodo is an authentic Igbo word. wink
Ok, I hear you sister, brother. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by absoluteSuccess: 9:13pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

My point still remains Obodo Oyibo is an Igbo phrase, and Obodo is an authentic Igbo word. wink
Ok, I hear you sister, brother. grin

We are saying the same thing na.

You ehn, hm...

I'm giving you a Pete Edochie killer look but you don't know.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 9:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

We are saying the same thing na.

You ehn, hm...

I'm giving you a Pete Edochie killer look but you don't know.

You are quite funny indeed. grin

By the way, what's going on in Naija now? It must be 9:26pm in Nigeria now. Currently, it is 3:26pm here in the US (eastern time zone). We used to be 5 hours behind Nigerian time but moved our clocks one hour back on midnight of November 2 this month.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by absoluteSuccess: 9:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are quite funny indeed. grin

By the way, what's going on in Naija now? It must be 9:26pm in Nigeria now. Currently, it is 3:26pm here in the US (eastern time zone). We used to be 5 hours behind Nigerian time but moved our clocks one hour back on midnight of November 2 this month.

Lol, I always enjoy your troubleshooting and need to be invincible. There's always a 'badman' to turn a thread upside down, you take pleasure in that. cheesy

Naija just dey o. Nothing much, its always the same old story, 'nigeria is just about to get better if they can allow buhari to fight corruption'.

Its biafra and music ruling the airwaves o. Please tell igbo guys to be patience, things will be better with time. Let's give those guys few more time.

Hows the United States? Hope you are enjoying Gods own country? Hows study?

As to the time gain, do you people now have to resume an hour earlier or its just a gmt adjustment?

I love you ma brother.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by macof(m): 9:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I never said 'tini tini' is not Yoruba. Quote me where I said it. However, I only said that, love nwa nti nti which Yorubas pronounce as love wan tin tin is an originally Igbo phrase.

Yoruba pronounce? I'm still confused as to why you believe yorubas concern themselves with that song
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 10:19pm On Nov 08, 2015
macof:

Yoruba pronounce? I'm still confused as to why you believe yorubas concern themselves with that song

Some Yorubas have recently sang songs named 'love wan tin tin'.

Love Wantintin by Oyinkansola ft Brymo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUIcjDXLixg

'Love Nwantintin' by Lara George:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCThGJVGzCQ

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by macof(m): 10:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Some Yorubas have recently sang songs named 'love wan tin tin'.

Love Wantintin by Oyinkansola ft Brymo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUIcjDXLixg

'Love Nwantintin' by Lara George:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCThGJVGzCQ

I see. A pity these aren't popular songs
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 10:40pm On Nov 08, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Lol, I always enjoy your troubleshooting and need to be invincible. There's always a 'badman' to turn a thread upside down, you take pleasure in that. cheesy

Naija just dey o. Nothing much, its always the same old story, 'nigeria is just about to get better if they can allow buhari to fight corruption'.

Its biafra and music ruling the airwaves o. Please tell igbo guys to be patience, things will be better with time. Let's give those guys few more time.

Hows the United States? Hope you are enjoying Gods own country? Hows study?

As to the time gain, do you people now have to resume an hour earlier or its just a gmt adjustment?

I love you ma brother.

It is a GMT time adjustment to align with the natural rising and setting of the sun. The US is located on the north pole of the earth and during this time of the year, the sun is usually at the southern pole of the earth meaning that the northern pole receives less sunlight than the south as against between April to August when the sun is directly overhead at the northern pole giving more sunlight. Less sunlight during this time means lesser day light (day) and more night. The sun began to move southwards around august and as we approached October, the day no longer broke at 6am but 7am. By 6:30am, it would still be dark like 4am in the night and we would see signs of daytime by around 7am and night would fall at 6pm in the evening, thus around November every year, the time is shifted 1 hour back such that 7am before now becomes 6am now to tally with natural rising of the sun. However, this affects the evenings such that 6pm night fall now becomes 5pm. During this period we have very short days (6am to 5pm) and long nights (5:30pm to 6am) and this continues until around March every year when the sun begins to move northwards again, meaning more sunshine over the north pole than before, and more daylight than night time. Also, due to this reduced amount of sunshine, the weather gets colder and we experience cold and snowfall from December to March. As we approach March and the sun begins its movement towards the north pole, we begin to notice that the day begins to break quite early before 6am and by May the day begins to break at 5am, instead of 6am and the clock is moved 1 hour ahead (this is called summer daylight savings time, by moving the clock ahead, 5am before now becomes 6am in the new time) to tally with the natural rising of the sun. However, during summer the sun does not set until around 9pm in the night. Between June and August (summer), the day is still bright until 8pm and gets totally dark at 9pm. By 5:45am, the day breaks already and continues till 9pm in the night, thus we have longer days and shorter nights during summer.

Nigeria does not usually experience such extended hours of day or night because we are located fairly close to the equator (the equator is 0 degrees), just 4 degrees North above the equator to 15 degrees North, and its strategic location ensures that it receives almost equal amounts of sunshine all year round regardless of whether the sun is at the north pole or at the south pole. Nigeria often experiences unequal days and nights depending on when the sun is at the north or south, and the rising and falling time changes are usually a matter of few minutes that does not prompt the movement of the clock an hour ahead or behind.

Right now it is 4:43pm and the sun has fallen completely, nowhere to be seen and it is twilight now and then it would get completely dark by 5:00pm. It gets worse during December/January when it gets completely dark by 4:50pm.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 10:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
macof:

I see. A pity these aren't popular songs

They do not have to be popular songs. At least now you know Yorubas use the phrase 'love wantintin'.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Ishilove: 11:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
bigfrancis21:

They do not have to be popular songs. At least now you know Yorubas use the phrase 'love wantintin'.
I have never heard a proper Yoruba use love wantintin kiss
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by somegirl1: 12:32am On Nov 09, 2015
Ishilove:

There are improper Yorubas?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Ishilove: 1:24am On Nov 09, 2015
somegirl1:

There are improper Yorubas?
What I mean is the 'ibiles'

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by ipledge10(m): 1:29am On Nov 09, 2015
Ishilove:

are u d one operating laraiboluwaji moniker
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by somegirl1: 1:34am On Nov 09, 2015
Ishilove:

I don't know what that means

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Ishilove: 1:45am On Nov 09, 2015
somegirl1:

I don't know what that means
It means 'son of the soil' or something to that effect
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by somegirl1: 2:34am On Nov 09, 2015
Ishilove:

It means 'son of the soil' or something to that effect

I see.
So the ones that sang the songs aren't sons or daughters of the soil?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by ezeagu(m): 6:00am On Nov 09, 2015
I think the general problem with this thread, and in extension the line of reasoning is that people are judging Igbo people by the guys they see in Lagos. Pidgin is hardly used in Igboland, where more then 80% of Igbo people live, and when it is used it's peppered with mostly Igbo words.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Ihuomadinihu: 7:10am On Nov 09, 2015
funmijoyb:

yoruba started movie first since 1960s in lagos hope u know that? it was it that later becomes Nollywood
Lmao! Thank God my people have adressed your rants. I don't have the time and energy to mention the other rants on this thread. Bye!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by absoluteSuccess: 7:44am On Nov 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I enjoyed your explanation better than when my geography teacher taught me such things as 'solstice'.

I believe a time will come when students will be able to take excursions to experience and marvel at the thrills of nature.

for now, Satelite channels will do, saving ugly side and beaming the beauty of the land in 3D.

See you around soon.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by 4nobody4every1: 9:42am On Nov 09, 2015
ipledge10:
are u d one operating laraiboluwaji moniker
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 9:53am On Nov 09, 2015
Ishilove:

Hey Ishi, how have you been? cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 9:56am On Nov 09, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

I enjoyed your explanation better than when my geography teacher taught me such things as 'solstice'.

I believe a time will come when students will be able to take excursions to experience and marvel at the thrills of nature.

for now, Satelite channels will do, saving ugly side and beaming the beauty of the land in 3D.

See you around soon.

Thanks pal.

Geography was one subject I barely needed to study for to take an exam. I made an A1 in Geography in my WAEC and GCE in SS2 my mom forced me to take because she wanted me to test the waters before taking the ultimate WAEC in SS3. My father had an Atlas of the world in his cupboard of books which I began studying as a child. I love Geography.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by absoluteSuccess: 11:34am On Nov 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks pal.

Geography was one subject I barely needed to study for to take an exam. I made an A1 in Geography in my WAEC and GCE in SS2 my mom forced me to take because she wanted me to test the waters before taking the ultimate WAEC in SS3. My father had an Atlas of the world in his cupboard of books which I began studying as a child. I love Geography.

him, mother's love for her children. God bless Nigerian mothers.

as with me l loved geography as much, thanks to my brother, the teacher in the House.

I think I got C4 or so in geography at o level. My best subject used to be chemistry.

I like iupac nomenclatures, it may be the reason I'm stuck to Yoruba vocabularies.

breaking words to their atomic syllables to define their secret.

I'm often impressed by your undying love for Igbo history and tradition, we all have similar callings here.

may God help us to make the best of what we've got.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Ishilove: 12:54pm On Nov 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Hey Ishi, how have you been? cheesy

Fine boy, I've been good smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Builds New House 'Paraki White House' In Ife (Pics) / I Am Dominican From Dominica Republic... ASK Me Anything. / Ooni Of Ife Oba Ogunwusi Finally Marries Fourth Wife, Set To Marry 5th(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.