Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android (1326 Views)

How To Develop Instant Android Chating App(social Network) / Why I Love Ruby / Is There Any Alternative To Android Studio For Making Andriod Apps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by FincoApps(m): 11:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
"Why are you developing for this dead OS ?" A lot of people has asked me this question so I decided to write a post about some of the reasons I prefer to remain a BlackBerry developer and ignore Android. Here's a link to the post http://fincoapps.com/why-i-choose-to-develop-for-blackberry-and-not-android/. Let me know your views on this smiley
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by lordZOUGA(m): 1:42am On Nov 05, 2015
Sorry but your points do not give any real reason for developing for Blackberry.

I will use my experience on Play Store as an example. I once created simple utility app and put it up on Play Store.

After about 2 weeks of putting that app up on Play Store, It started getting an average of 600 downloads daily. Sometimes it peaks up to 800 downloads but after that week, the lowest download count it ever got was 385 downloads per day.

No ad campaign was ran for this app, the only place I shared it was on this Nairaland with my other moniker. The application was on Play Store for about 6 months before I unpublished it and it got 83,000 downloads within that time. This is definitely in direct contrast with your story about having an app that has 1000+ downloads after 2 years on Play Store.

I am pretty sure there are other developers that have seen better stats than the one I got on that app on this Nairaland.

If you are saying that you prefer appworld over Play Store because Play Store is too competitive then you are telling me that the appworld is filled with developers that doesn't like being challenged. Only mediocre developers don't like challenges.

Please, if your app is bad, fix it. Do not make excuses.

I replied to this so that some unsuspecting developer will not be mislead by your incorrect assumptions in that post.

7 Likes

Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by jacob05(m): 1:52am On Nov 05, 2015
lordZOUGA:
Sorry but your points doesn't give any real reason for developing for Blackberry.

I will use my experience on Play Store as an example. I once created simple utility app and put it up on Play Store.

After about 2 weeks of putting that app up on Play Store, It started getting an average of 600 downloads daily. Sometimes it peaks up to 800 downloads but after that week, the lowest download count it ever got was 385 downloads per day.

No ad campaign was ran for this app, the only place I shared it was on this Nairaland with my other moniker. The application was on Play Store for about 6 months before I unpublished it and it got 83,000 downloads within that time. This is definitely in direct contrast with your story about having an app that has 1000+ downloads after 2 years on Play Store.

I am pretty sure there are other developers that have seen better stats than the one I got on that app on this Nairaland.

If you are saying that you prefer appworld over Play Store because Play Store is too competitive then you are telling me that the appworld is filled with developers that doesn't like being challenged. Only mediocre developers don't like challenges.

I replied to this so that some unsuspecting developer will not be mislead by your incorrect assumptions in that post.
valid point

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by FincoApps(m): 1:54am On Nov 05, 2015
lordZOUGA:
Sorry but your points doesn't give any real reason for developing for Blackberry.

Do you have an app on BlackBerry World ? If No, then I can't argue with you. That your app that was great enough to get that much downloads in Playstore would probably be 2 - 3 times better in BlackBerry World. Trust me, I have other multiplatform developer friends.

About challenges, well I have no idea of what you are talking about. What I know is I want my app to be easily seen. If that's what you want, BlackBerry World is the best cheesy
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by 53cur3m0d3(m): 10:44am On Nov 05, 2015
Hello FincoApps, I've not heard from you in a while...
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by nollyj: 11:12am On Nov 05, 2015
@FinApps, are you developing free app in BB world or paid apps?

Yes, competition is very high in Play store compare to BB world and app discovery is Google Play is worst than BB world mainly because of the huge amount of apps in Play Store.

Just like @lordZOUGA said, right now in Google Play you app has to be extra-ordinary before it can rank and get downloads very well.

One thing I don't like in Play Store (Personally) is that big companies use huge advertisement money to make sure that their apps are retained in top ranking position. Some buy up to 10,000 installs every day. This is a disadvantage to indie developers
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by danvery2k6(m): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
Well, saying you prefer to develop for BB rather than android is strictly a matter of choice and not a point for argument. People know there is IRC but they still use Slack. If you are talking about competition and number of applications on any of this platforms, I would fault your argument. A great application would be seen anywhere. If you want to stand out, you have do something extraordinary.

Personal Opinion : If you had developed for the android market, I bet you would have gotten better download count. The android market is booming and whether we like it or not, the BB market is dying. It will be a wise decision to develop for BB and at the same time not despise the Android platform.

1 Like

Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by FincoApps(m): 8:14pm On Nov 05, 2015
nollyj:
@FinApps, are you developing free app in BB world or paid apps?

Yes, competition is very high in Play store compare to BB world and app discovery is Google Play is worst than BB world mainly because of the huge amount of apps in Play Store.

Just like @lordZOUGA said, right now in Google Play you app has to be extra-ordinary before it can rank and get downloads very well.

One thing I don't like in Play Store (Personally) is that big companies use huge advertisement money to make sure that their apps are retained in top ranking position. Some buy up to 10,000 installs every day. This is a disadvantage to indie developers

This is the wisest comment I've seen here seriously because you helped me make my points clearer. The kinda money you need to spend on advertisement on Playstore or the attention alone is somehow. And the thing is that, the more you app gets downloaded, the more it gets seen.

nollyj:

and app discovery is Google Play is worst than BB world mainly because of the huge amount of apps in Play Store.

Nollyj, you have really studied Playstore well.

My single paid app is a download manager for BlackBerry OS(OS 5+ that's the real dead BlackBerrys). But yet, I have over 20k downloads with 300+ reviews for all time and the app is $1.99 dollars. This is the app http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/32356893/

Note: This particular application is only for BBOS(OS 5+) which is dead and gone but I still get that much purchase. I can only imagine if it was also available on BB10 grin
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by FincoApps(m): 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
danvery2k6:

Well, saying you prefer to develop for BB rather than android is strictly a matter of choice and not a point for argument.

That's very correct. I was wondering why the first comment on this thread sounded like I was trying to mislead developers. I'm only saying from my point of view. However the 3rd reason in the article is the one I want to use to encourage developers.

Another reason I didn't mention in the article is the fact that it took a lot of time for me to learn BBOS development so I cannot just dump it. This proves that most of my reasons are personal and not an argument. But point 3 is an advise.

danvery2k6:

A great application would be seen anywhere.

I disagree. It's that simple
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by FincoApps(m): 8:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
53cur3m0d3:
Hello FincoApps, I've not heard from you in a while...

Sorry, I think I missed your last mail. I'll check my mailbox
Re: Why I Prefer To Develop For Blackberry Compared To Android by 53cur3m0d3(m): 10:46pm On Nov 05, 2015
FincoApps:

Sorry, I think I missed your last mail. I'll check my mailbox
Alright

(1) (Reply)

School Of Programming / Php7: Null Coalescing Operator / Where Are The Programmers On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.