Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,603 members, 7,801,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation (41279 Views)

Nigerians Spent N3.208 Trillion On Airtime In 2017 - New Telegraph / Nigerians Spend N197bn Monthly On Internet Data / I Have Been Wasting Money On Airtime (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Fynestboi: 7:24am On Nov 05, 2015

Telecoms subscribers in Nigeria currently spend an estimated N238 billion on purchase of airtime on their phones on a monthly basis, latest investigations by New Telegraph have shown. The estimate is based on the current average revenue per user (ARPU) benchmark of $8 (N1,593) and the current active subscriber base in the country.
According to the latest report from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), the country’s telecoms market recorded 150 million active lines as at the end of September. New Telegraph’s conservative analysis thus revealed that by multiplying the ARPU with the monthly subscriber base of 150 million, telecoms subscribers on different mobile networks in the country spend an estimated N238 billion.
Meanwhile, telecoms companies in Nigeria lost a total of 357,997 active lines on their various networks in September. From 151,018,624 active telephone lines in August, the number of active telephone lines on mostly GSM operators including MTN, Globacom, Airtel and Etisalat declined to 150,660,631 phone lines. This represents a fall of 357,997 lines, according to the latest industry status report in subscriber base.
Analysts say the reduction in subscriber base might not be unconnected with the directive by the regulator mandating telecoms networks to deactivate unregistered or poorly registered subscriber identity module (SIM) lines on the networks. In the same vein, teledensity plunged from 107.87 per cent in August to 107.61 per cent in September, representing a fall of 0.26 per cent. Telephone density or teledensity is the number of telephone connections for every hundred individuals living within an area.
It varies widely across the nations and also between urban and rural areas within a country. Telephone density has significant correlation with the per capita Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the area. It is also used as an indicator of the purchasing power of the middle class of the country or specific region. From January this year, active subscribers have consistently increased from 140.8 million in January to 151 million in August.
However, the August subscriber data is the first time the operators witnessed a decrease in subscriber base, ostensibly because of the SIM deactivation saga. Month-on-month subscriber data moved up to 142.5 million in February. Of the 151 million active subscriber base, GSM operators including MTN, Globacom, Airtel and Etisalat, control 148.7 million; the CDMA segment predominantly controlled by Visafone has 2.1 million while fixed wired/wireless networks have 189, 523 lines.
President, National Association of TelecomsSubscribers (NATCOMS), Mr. Deolu Ogunbanjo, said for as long as more Nigerians continue to take up and rely on telecoms services for their daily business and personal activities, telcos would continue to increase their revenues.
Ogunbanjo explained that telecoms industry has become a critical sector, not only to the individual telecoms consumer, but also to the economy as a whole. He stated that Nigeria had recorded an astronomical uptake in telephone subscriptions, both in the urban and rural areas in the last 14 years of telecoms deregulation.
He said: “This is revealing. However, your findings may be plus or minus, but I think it provides us with an idea of how much telecoms subscribers in Nigeria spend on their respective service providers monthly.” “The expenditure by subscribers has even reduced drastically in the last 14 years of telecoms regulation,” said President, Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators(ALTON), Mr. Gbenga Adebayo.
“You will recall that, in this country, we have made calls for close to N100 and today, we are witnessing a decrease in tariffs where we make calls for just about N10 or below per minute.”

http://newtelegraphonline.com/nigerians-spend-n238bn-on-airtime-monthly-investigation/

Cc: Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by camanito(m): 7:30am On Nov 05, 2015
Telecom operators have been exploiting Nigerians since they started operations in Nigeria. The annoying part is that they charge us heavily for calls and data bundles but in other countries its not so. NCC the sleeping giant in the telecoms industry wake up.

FTC ...
God is the greatest. All thanks to Jesus Christ.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by greatproducts: 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2015

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by olly4best: 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
How can that be?
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by braine(m): 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
No text formatting undecided. Can't read this. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
Shey na essay be diz abi article.......my own b say make mtn go pay dere gbese............was scrolling thru my pix diz morning and something popped up on my screen .....very fast.......but d problem be say I don click ok..........50 disappeared instanta for one freaky mtn link.........chai.....

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by expertman(m): 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
I wish there is a cheat to call for FREE.

The rich people getting richer.

Baba God bless me make me self establish bendel communication. Like Glo

Instead of that slowpoke to establish sum thing like this and make the call rate cheap in a way of making life comfy for Niger deltans

And create more job and invest the profit back into nigerdelta he is busy running for one fake biafran?

Make any body no quote me ooo abeggi

And mind you am from Delta state.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by eminikansoso(m): 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
camanito:
what is the meaning of this

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
Great

Even the jobless ones that are expecting N5,000 would use N1,593 to buy airtime. Useless economy where people only ....eat, sleep and buy airtime shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by BUSHHUNTER: 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by jomoh: 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
And some people keep defending MTN that the fine is outrageous.

Calculate

N238b x 12months= N2.856tr

N2.856tr x 4years (from 2011 of the directive)= N8.568tr

40% mtn market share(estimate) x N8.568tr= N3.427tr

If they pay N1.4tr out of it is not too much.

#MtnMustPay

33 Likes 1 Share

suprising
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by akins56(m): 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
MTN must pay!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by sexxydiva(f): 12:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
shocked
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by xage(m): 12:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
So much money for telecoms

So little salaries for their staff

Shame!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Tenim47(m): 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Are dey refoundin it or watz abt d news
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by louiskay(m): 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
D real Deal
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Tobitrueman(m): 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
JESUS O
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
There is money to make from telecommunication sector in Nigeria and I don't know why reputable western companies are not interested in the Nigerian market and bring in innovations. It is very boring at the moment due to poor infrastructure and services.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by gurunlocker: 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
and mtn takes the largest
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by IamGabby: 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Okay.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by MrPedro: 12:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Call or whatsapp me for your wordpress site 08105257797
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Segadem(m): 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
good business
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Segadem(m): 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
gurunlocker:
and mtn takes the largest
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Tobitrueman(m): 12:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
O man!, see how rich we Nigerians are Hmmmmm, ,#Alliswell

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by eliwa47(m): 12:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
Old story! we know that for a very long time.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
238 billion whatttt?. so we are that rich. its okay.
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by missKiffy(f): 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
Wow, this is massive
Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by malton: 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
Now you realise just why mtn has to cough up the over one trillion naira fine and pay up or fold up.
Someone will be there shouting "pity mtn" as if the MTN don ever pity am.
It's a pity that some Nigerians think MTN is doing them a favour by employing them. And you wonder why our leaders take us for a ride. Our people have been subjugated for far too long and have become too accustomed to suffering so much that they regard a social responsibility as a favour done.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Spend N238bn On Airtime Monthly –investigation by CuteTj(m): 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
all4naija:
There is money to make from telecommunication sector in Nigeria and I don't know why reputable western companies are not interested in the Nigerian market and bring in innovations. It is very boring at the moment due to poor infrastructure and services.
Its a serious challenge investing in Nigeria.

From using months registering your company instead of days, to the seaport where you need at least 110 signatures to bring in your assets from outside the country, to officials that you have to bribe to do just about anything, to touts you have settle just to prepare your office space, to no electricity so you spend almost 3/4 of your turnover on diesel, to insecurity, to tax officials (federal, state and LG) heckling you about, to bad roads.......... I could go on and on.

Despite all I mentioned up there I agree there is a lot of money to make in the country but when you think about all these challenges and the negative stories you emanate from Nigeria all the time, they may rather head somewhere less stressful.

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Made Osun State Phones And Tablets / Tecno Pouvoir 3 Plus Review - 6,000mah Battery King / Airtel Introduces WTF Bundle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.