Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,824 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland (4581 Views)

Baseless Lies About Property In Igboland / 1899 Letter Of Mrs.t.j.dennis, Missionary In Igboland Reveals Facts About Ndigbo / Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 3:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
I've been reminiscing spending my early years with my granny in the village then and how I got to learn some of our customs and traditions. The customs might sound weird today but it went a long way to hold our community together and foster unity and progress. The westernisation of our culture and traditions has led some of us to do away with some of our customs or traditions which we deem inimical to our Progress and develeopment.
Some things are not allowed or frowned at in Igboland though it depends on the part of Igboland. I will use my village which is in Anambra state as a case study.

1. Its a taboo for a woman to pick or pluck Kolanut from its tree. The Men always love feeling superior and the Kolanut or Oji is a sacred crop in Igboland.

2. Its a taboo for a woman to break Kolanut in the prresence of a titled man. Men will always be men

3. Its against our custom to cook or pound in the night. This custom was made to encourage women to cook early and avoid late gossip. The village masquerade might come and take a goat just for breaking this law.

4. Its against our tradition for a child to cry in the night. The spirits are around then.

5. Its a big taboo to kill the EKE (python) in our place. You might die of swollen and potruding stomach if you don't do the neccassary cleansing.

6. There is this forest we fetch firewood called *Agbor* you are not allowed to fart, spit, poo, urinate, speak ill of the dead, whistle, mutter about something smelling. If you do any then be prepared for *akwukwo nju* to touch you. You will be walking aimlessly inside that forest.

7. Its againts our custom to leave heap of dirt around after sweeping your surrounding, its better you don't sweep at all. If you break it then prepare for soilder ant to come for war.

8. Its a taboo to dance close to our masquerade if you are not initiated into it and its a bigger taboo to be around when *Oji onu* comes out in the night.

9. Its a taboo for women to climb Palm tree, this was done to protect the female folks from the dangers of climbing and remember women are not allowed to wear trouser or shorts which ll make climbing impossible.

10. Its a taboo for a woman to commit adultery, it leads to instant madness but I think the menfolk are not bound by this. ( SMH for the African Woman)

11. We still reverence our deities and if you are summoned for an offence you are bound to appear for its settlemnt even if you are the Pope because the laws of the land still reign supreme and it protects the less priviledge.

Feel free to add yours let's see other taboos that are forbidden in your village.

Ndi igbo Mma mma

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by chocolateme(f): 3:53pm On Nov 05, 2015
It is a taboo for you to be spreading theses taboos on nairaland in this dispensation.
Some of the things you listed above are not even effective as stated.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Donbabajay12(m): 3:54pm On Nov 05, 2015
Gobeeeeee
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 4:06pm On Nov 05, 2015
chocolateme:
It is a taboo for you to be spreading theses taboos on nairaland in this dispensation.
some of them are not effective today but it was effective in early 90s
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 4:10pm On Nov 05, 2015
Lalasticlala com and do push my story to FP
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by CharlyNick: 4:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
Are you an Igbo Man?
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Tallesty1(m): 4:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
gringringringringrin
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Fash20: 4:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Africans and superstition. Thank God people are wiser now.
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 4:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
CharlyNick:
Are you an Igbo Man?
No, I'm an Hausa fulani. If you can't deduce d igbo slangs used there

2 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 5:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fash20:
emancipate yourself from western slavery.

2 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 5:37pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fash20:
emancipate yourself from western slavery. We knew the mouth of River Niger before Mungo Park came

3 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Fash20: 5:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
DrownedFish:
emancipate yourself from western slavery. We knew the mouth of River Niger before Mungo Park came
to emancipate myself from western slavery as you have said above, all I need to do is to believe in superstitions right? Its true we need to emancipate ourself from metal slavery but we do not need to start believing in superstitions.

2 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by lmm4real: 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
Ok
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fash20:
to emancipate myself from western slavery as have said all I need to is to believe in superstitions right. Its true we need to emancipate ourself from metal slavery but we do not need to start believing in superstitions.
The white man superstition is now called civillisation
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
AfricanS?
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by demielvis: 6:43pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DaFlash: 6:49pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by demielvis: 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
OP u call dem weird bt pls will u allow ur sis to climb a kolanut tree?
Breaking kola is an igbo trad nd shud b respected.
Which sane person wud pound @nite thereby disturbing his neighbours.
Why shud ur child cry @nite wen his\her mates are sleepn na winch?
I neva heard of no 5.
Why shud u speak ill of d dead?
If u heap dirt around u den u are a PIG.
Try nd dance close to a masquerade naw u no dy fear?
Once again wil u let ur sis climb a palm tree?if yes u r WICKED
...... if ur wife do no 10 u'll say she cheated on u

3 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by genuinechimere(m): 7:19pm On Nov 05, 2015
It's a taboo to use english to bless abi break kolanut. They will say "oji anaghi anu bekee" meaning "kolanut doesn't understand English". I'm afraid this thread will soon be derailed by NL tribal warriors

3 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by mightyokwy(m): 7:42pm On Nov 05, 2015
Op which town ar you from, that forest and fart got me cracking grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2015
genuinechimere:
It's a taboo to use english to bless abi break kolanut. They will say "oji anaghi anu bekee" meaning "kolanut doesn't understand English". I'm afraid this thread will soon be derailed by NL tribal warriors
The gods will not even come down
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by genuinechimere(m): 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
DrownedFish:
The gods will not even come down
lol. Abi
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Fash20: 9:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
DrownedFish:
The white man superstition is now called civillisation
can you kindly state some?
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Holywizard: 9:42pm On Nov 05, 2015
4 my village during sex then women re nt allowed to be on top but now it's one of my best sex positions

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by chigoizie7(m): 10:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fash20:
to emancipate myself from western slavery as you have said above, all I need to do is to believe in superstitions right? Its true we need to emancipate ourself from metal slavery but we do not need to start believing in superstitions.

Oga sharap, superstition is just like a law guiding some group of people n those days, it might not all be law, but there is always an element of truth in all the superstitions and all the people accepted it and are bound by t and its consequences.

Western superstition is their law and civilization.

E.g, don't smoke weed, don't sell weed, why? They said that weed is illegal, why? Because they don't like it, that is their law then, many people went to jail because of weed, now they have seen that the law or superstitious belief that weed makes anyone that smokes it mad(i never run mad) is wrong, they are now legalizing it.

My point, to your tent oh israel, don't castigate what holds the belief of certain people simply because it contradicts your own belief.

As an idemili people in a part in anambra, we don't kill snakes, it does not bite us no matter what, and we are cool with it, we aint complaining, so let us be.

1 Like

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by DrownedFish: 10:14pm On Nov 05, 2015
Fash20:
can you kindly state some?
Do you celebrate Halloween, Xmas, Santa Claus, Carnivals, do you listen to rap, country, classic, RnB, You are being brainwashed thinking African culture is fetish while your western culture is supreme.

Emancipate yourself from western slavery
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 05, 2015
chocolateme:
Mechionu gi what do you know about omenala igbo

2 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Nobody: 12:24am On Nov 06, 2015
Omenala igbo is still very strong in OZuBuLu.... Igbo amaka.. Next world if possible, i want to belong to this same clan.... God bless this race..

1 Like

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Adatob(m): 12:39am On Nov 06, 2015
Biafra ppu#smh
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by LordMecuzy(m): 1:08am On Nov 06, 2015
DrownedFish:
emancipate yourself from western slavery.

U for no dey use Internet na?
Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by IGBOSON1: 1:40am On Nov 06, 2015
genuinechimere:

^^^This one's the sweetest taboo! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Some Weird And Funny Taboos In Igboland by Fash20: 7:11am On Nov 06, 2015
chigoizie7:

Oga sharap, superstition is just like a law guiding some group of people n those days, it might not all be law, but there is always an element of truth in all the superstitions and all the people accepted it and are bound by t and its consequences.

Western superstition is their law and civilization.

E.g, don't smoke weed, don't sell weed, why? They said that weed is illegal, why? Because they don't like it, that is their law then, many people went to jail because of weed, now they have seen that the law or superstitious belief that weed makes anyone that smokes it mad(i never run mad) is wrong, they are now legalizing it.

My point, to your tent oh israel, don't castigate what holds the belief of certain people simply because it contradicts your own belief.

As an idemili people in a part in anambra, we don't kill snakes, it does not bite us no matter what, and we are cool with it, we aint complaining, so let us be.
there are always reasons behind every civilized law in this modern world so, when you are told not to smoke there are reasons behind it unlike the the tradition law we have here in Africa.

Its true that some of this superstitions have some truth in them but the fact is that these superstitions are old fashion law and when you do things that are against them none of those consequences above will actually come to past. how do you expect me to take such laws serious? We are no more in the dark ages bro we are in the 21th century.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Corruption:american Bancorp Bank Writes Buhari, Plans To Return Amaechiā€™s Loot / Athlete Boos Nigeria To Represent Biafra At Stockholms Marathon In Sweden PHOTO / See The Original Biafra Map And Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.