Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance (5279 Views)

Car Mileage And Engine Performance / Odometer: Kilometer Vs Miles / How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 5:26pm On May 12, 2009
I have always wondered on the issue of odometer reading vis-a-vis the performance of motor engines. A friend bought a car with a low odometer reading (70,000miles, tokumbo) but the engine failed after just 3 months of usage. Another bought a vehicle that did about 190,000+ but after 6 months, the vehicle engine is still performing wonderfully. Can any one educate me on this please, Nairalanders?
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by ElRazur: 6:23pm On May 12, 2009
It is one of the many reasons it is advisable to get the odometer verified. While your example is not a proof or link in anyway, it should be noted that some engines have been recorded to go all the way to 999999km and then roll back into 000000km without much problem - recorded in an old Volvo. smiley

Also engines like those with the VTEC have been known to go into similar odometer readings as above without much issue.

I must say that, a low mileage and engine longevity are not always linked. It is possible to have a car with very low mileage - less than 5000miles - and still show plenty of mechanical problems. This is common with Pegeout in my experience. I hope that helps.

If you want to keep your car engine at the optimal performance, use genuine parts and avoids fake brands. Engage common sense when driving your car. Keep things like fluid oil etc top up regularly. I suppose the most important one, is to actually let people who know what they are doing and have the right tools to service your car.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 9:24am On May 13, 2009
@ ElRazur: I think this is a very good contribution. I have widened my knowledge on this subject.
@ Nairalanders: More contributions will be appreciated, please.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nobody: 9:41am On May 13, 2009
Maintainence is the key factor here, rather than mileage.

A car that's been well looked after, and covered 200,000 miles mainly on the motorway, will be in better shape than a similar car that's been ill maintained, with 100,000 miles mainly covered in the city.

Transmission and clutch suffer more from constant up and downshifting, a sustained higher speed is beneficial to any engine.
Stop / start driving, and short trips are not beneficial, and more engine wear will occur, as the motor seldom gets up to temperature, especially if it's driven from home to work over, let's say 8 miles each way, on a daily basis.

Cylinder bore wear is more pronounced on such cars, if the cylinder head / heads is / are removed, it's most likely a wear ridge will be evident in the cylinder bores.

Short trips also don't allow for higher temperatures, which will keep moisture / condensation out of exhausts / catalysts, which tend to rot from the inside out.

A car's health is also determined (to a degree) by how well the motor was run in when new.

Both my cars - Audi S4 and RS4 have covered high miles, without any reliability issues.

Audi S4 - 141,000 miles.
Audi RS4 - 219,000 miles.

I never look at mileage when buying a car - I'm more interested in the condition of the car as presented at the time of sale, and receipts / service history showing what's been done on the car.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Igwe9(m): 11:25am On May 13, 2009
For me, I 'll say that having the correct odometer is close to knowing how new your engine is. In the other hand a lot of things contribute to the efficiency and durability of the engine.
Just to mention but one, some tokunbo cars do overheat due to change in weather conditions when brought into the country ,and when this issue is not well taken care of, total engine failure or knock may occur.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by jules123(m): 11:46am On May 13, 2009
I really don't think odometer have much to do with engine performance. My  first Bmw went has high as 450000 km and was still performing very well after been sold out to someone who still appreciates and thank me whenever he sees me. My second Bmw is now pumping as high as 330000 km and still in good shape and performance. I think the point here has to do with your maintanance and handling culture.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by jodeci(m): 12:00pm On May 13, 2009
@SIENA,YOU ARE VERY CORRECT,GENERALLY CARS THAT ARE USED FOR LONG DISTANCE JOURNEYS PERFORM BETTER THAN CARS THAT ARE USED WITHIN CITY.

MAINTENACE HISTORY SHOULD BE UR WORRIES RATHER THAN THE ODOMETER READING WHEN BUYING A USED CAR.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 1:26pm On May 13, 2009
@ Siena, Igwe, Jules123 and Jodeci: I really appreciate y'all for your contributions, thanks!!
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by GABRIELIYK: 12:43am On May 14, 2009
ARE WE ALL SURE THAT THIS HIGH MILLEAGE WORKS FOR EVERY VEHICLE, LIKE TOYOTA,NISSAN,HONDA,KIA ETC
OR IS THIS HIGH MILLEAGE COMFORTABLE STRONG CARS LIKE BMW,AUDI ETC
PLEASE SIENA AND CO COMMENT THANKS
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nobody: 7:50am On May 14, 2009
Most modern cars will handle starhip mileage without requiring any major overhauling.
As long as they are looked after, and serviced at the correct intervals.
A car that's been parked up for long periods isn't going to be in good shape, long periods of inactivity bring their own share of problems.

If a car has mileage well below average for the year, you need to question why.
A car that has been driven very little will of course have low mileage, but there's more likely to be issues with internal corrosion, than in a similar model with higher mileage, that's driven regularly.

Most engine wear occurs during the initial start-up phase, and when being operated from cold, especially if high rpm are used.
As it warms up, the wear is drastically reduced.
Also, many don't realise it, but a car that covers, say 4,000 miles in a year, needs more frequent oil changes, as the oil will break down quicker. Condensation lines the cylinder bores, and mixes with the oil, degrading it. If this oil isn't replaced, critical components like the crank and camshaft / s will suffer rapid wear. Oil mixed with water is a powerful emulsion, which rather than offer a protective film between metal parts, becomes abrasive.

This is what gives rise to engine "knock", oil pumps are also designed to operate without any emulsifying agents like water, so of course oil pressure will drop, resulting in catastrophic failure of the crank / rods, catastrophic destruction of the engine.

When I buy cars, mileage isn't one of my criteria. If it's really low for the age, I factor in an engine tear down and rebuild, for peace of mind.

As long as people are driven by the so called "mileage culture", there will always be "clocked" cars, or cars that are driven very little, fo fear of hurting residual values.

On a last note:

An Audi or BMW does not offer maximum engine power, till at least 150,000 miles have rolled by, when they are deemed "run-in", and this is where they start their useful life.

The new BMW M3 (E90-series) sold in the United States has the performance kept in check till they have covered high miles.
The potential is then "unlocked" by a BMW dealership, with the appropriate software, whereby performance can be exploited to its full potential.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 12:50pm On May 14, 2009
Thanx NL, I really appreciate.
@ siena: u r 2 much.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 12:29pm On May 15, 2009
@ NairaLanders: I will appreciate more views, please.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by keba(m): 11:49pm On May 15, 2009
I think Siena has said all that is needed to say. Since i bought my Avensis, i have been using it within the city
but as a business man i decided to go to Ibadan from Portharcourt where i stay on a business trip. I could
not believe the performance of the engine as i cruised 140km. After that journey, the odometer reading came
to about 167000km with a better engine performance than before.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by GABRIELIYK: 7:46pm On May 16, 2009
bump
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 5:35pm On May 28, 2009
keba:

I think Siena has said all that is needed to say. Since i bought my Avensis, i have been using it within the city
but as a business man i decided to go to Ibadan from Portharcourt where i stay on a business trip. I could
not believe the performance of the engine as i cruised 140km. After that journey, the odometer reading came
to about 167000km with a better engine performance than before.

How? I am curious.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2009
r u dia?
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
Nezan:

How? I am curious.

Because a new engine, or one that's been rebuilt with new bearings and piston rings, will have more internal friction to overcome.
The engine will feel "tight", and reluctant to rev cleanly. The rpm will also drop rapidly upon decelleration.
This is the reason a new engine will be pretty thirsty fuel-wise, as the motor has to overcome friction, before doing any useful work - i.e converting energy to motion.

A high-mileage engine will be "looser", aiding fuel economy, and throttle response will be a lot better, with less internal friction to overcome.
A high-miler will also develop better power and torque, a tight new one will not.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 6:12pm On Jun 03, 2009
@ Siena:

I appreciate all your comments on this thread. You actually know your onions. Keep up the good work, sir.
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by kuntash: 2:40pm On Sep 29, 2009
Nezan:

r u dia?

Siena - which means it would be a wise idea to buy a tokunbo Engine than rebuild - or better still instead of buying a new ride grin
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by diehard1: 8:51am On Oct 02, 2009
engine performance is a function of regular maintenance, i have a maxima with over 230k miles and it still runs like new. But new car good oh!
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by amrerobert(m): 1:54pm On Oct 08, 2009
i read the contributions of sienna and i was impressed with the knowledge so expressed. i just bought myself a rover 620si and the odometer reading was about 190,000km done on the car but the car performance so far has been pretty good and more so that the fuel economy is unbelievable. how ever i use the car within town and really travel with it out of town and i am wondering how often one should take the car for regular servicing? any advice?
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by kuntash: 2:54pm On Oct 08, 2009
amrerobert:

i read the contributions of sienna and i was impressed with the knowledge so expressed. i just bought myself a rover 620si and the odometer reading was about 190,000km done on the car but the car performance so far has been pretty good and more so that the fuel economy is unbelievable. how ever i use the car within town and really travel with it out of town and i am wondering how often one should take the car for regular servicing? any advice?

whats your MPG?, also whats your average miles/day?, does ur service has to do with oil change alone? , and finally what do you grease ur engine with (which oil u dey use?) grin
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by amrerobert(m): 3:03pm On Oct 08, 2009
an average of about 4km/daily and biweekly 90km/day. i use mobil super hpx
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by opybabs: 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2009
PLEASE.I ALSO NEED A RESPONSE AS TO A CONDITION I DISCOVERED ABOUT A CAR I RECENTLY BOUGHT.
IF I REMOVE MY LEG FROM THE CLUTCH WITH MY ACCELERATOR BELOW 10 REV/MIN THE CAR SLOWS DOWN AND A FURTHER DEPRESSION OF THE ACCELERATOR DOES NOT MOVE THE CAR FOR ABOUT 5 SECS.THE ACCELERATOR DOES NOT RESPOND.IT THEN PICKS GRADUALLY IN ABOUT 5-10 SECS AND LATER CONTINUES TO WORK NORMALLY.

AND THE SECOND IS THAT IF YOU ARE GOING UP A STEEP.THE ENGINE STARTS TO LOOSE POWER EVEN IF YOU DEPRESS THE ACCELERATOR UNLESS YOU PRESS THE CLUTCH INCREASE THE ACCELERATOR AT IDLE AND ENGAGE WHILE THE ENGINE IS STILL HUMMING .YOU WILL NOT CLIMB THAT STEEP CONVINIENTLY.

IS THIS A FUEL PUMP OR FUEL PROBLEM OR WHAT AS THE TWO PROBLEMS SEEMS RELATED
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by opybabs: 8:44am On Oct 09, 2009
sienna are you there?

Anyone else to answer
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Sundaynig(m): 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2009
The best thing you can do is maintain your car properly, if you find any problems please do it fast dont keep it for the problem to increase.
Always give your car to the right people to repair plz plz plz dont give it to a road side mechanic 2 repair he will even do worst things in your car.
Even if you have to spend more money no problem spend it.
I have a rangerover 2000 model with 92,000 miles when i bought it but the engine is fantastic.
So just do as i have advised you.
You will be happy. smiley
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by sultaan(m): 7:16pm On Oct 09, 2009
opybabs:

PLEASE.I ALSO NEED A RESPONSE AS TO A CONDITION I DISCOVERED ABOUT A CAR I RECENTLY BOUGHT.
IF I REMOVE MY LEG FROM THE CLUTCH WITH MY ACCELERATOR BELOW 10 REV/MIN THE CAR SLOWS DOWN AND A FURTHER DEPRESSION OF THE ACCELERATOR DOES NOT MOVE THE CAR FOR ABOUT 5 SECS.THE ACCELERATOR DOES NOT RESPOND.IT THEN PICKS GRADUALLY IN ABOUT 5-10 SECS AND LATER CONTINUES TO WORK NORMALLY.

AND THE SECOND IS THAT IF YOU ARE GOING UP A STEEP.THE ENGINE STARTS TO LOOSE POWER EVEN IF YOU DEPRESS THE ACCELERATOR UNLESS YOU PRESS THE CLUTCH INCREASE THE ACCELERATOR AT IDLE AND ENGAGE WHILE THE ENGINE IS STILL HUMMING .YOU WILL NOT CLIMB THAT STEEP CONVINIENTLY.

Since you didn't give year and model, I'll guess tune-up, fuel injector cleaner fuel filter oil filter
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nezan(m): 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2010
opybabs:

Where is Siena?
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by LondonCool(m): 6:31am On Jul 07, 2010
bump
Re: Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 07, 2010
opybabs:

Do you have reservations with regards to stating the make, model and year of your car? As well as engine size / type?

I can only give random guesses otherwise, which is no good to anyone. Still, your post is from last year, so you've probably either sorted out your issues, or sold the car on.

(1) (Reply)

Your Worst Okada Experience? / Possible Causes Of Car Brain Box Failure? / Serpentine Belt Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.