Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,833 members, 7,806,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly (1559 Views)

Female Facebook Queen Narrates How She Rejected An Offer But Ended Up Buying It / Is Nairaland Too Ashamed To Post That Mmm Has Bounced Back? / Bounced/dud Cheque And Its Legal Consequences. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 9:22am On Nov 06, 2015
On the 3rd of November, I returned to Lagos from Abuja where I went to present to some people at the presidency on some software deals. While in Abuja, I had over two weeks to reflect on a lot of things, and strategise on what next to invest my time after my last startup ended abruptly, please don't ask me why, just guess or assume. I had that much time to reflect because the OGA AT THE TOP I went to see informed me he was travelling with Mr President to the States for the just concluded UN Summit when I was already in Abuja. So I had to stay back and wait, do I have a choice? thank God I've a bachelor cousin brother Jose, who together with his friends and girl, made sure I enjoyed my stay . . . and the rest is now history.

So I returned to Lagos on a Saturday. Took Sunday and Monday off. When I say off, I mean my laptop being turned off not because Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company refused to give light to my street but because an Igbo proverb says beta anu, beta anu bu n'ahu nnama (translated to: cut meat cut meat, na from cow body) . . . So while off and weighing which of my ideas to kickstart next, I had some challenges zeroing in on one because all of them seem pretty much worth giving a shot. But then I remembered something Jonny Ive, the genius heading Apple Designs said about Steve Jobs' definition of focus, so I quote him verbatim "What focus means is saying no to something that with every bone in your body think is a phenomenal idea, and you wake up thinking about it, but you end up saying no to it because you're focusing on something else." So with that help from Steve Jobs via Jonny Ive, I shelved the other ideas and decided to work on what has now become AMADESK.

. . . . so permit me to introduce Amadesk to you, launched on 22nd October, 2015.

Amadesk is an interacting and engaging platform that enables anyone to share their experience and knowledge by requesting Ask Me Anything (AMA). Users post AMA using hashtag to indicate what they want to be asked about, and encourage other users to ask them questions, which they reply thereby creating a question and answer interaction.

The idea behind this came from several not so good experiences I always have when trying to call on several radio and TV programmes to ask questions and not being able to get through, then I figured I can actually solve this problem which I realized others are experiencing too, by create an online platform where everyone can be able to get through to anyone who is hosting a question and answer session, and have their questions answered.

At first, I just wanted to build for people that go on TVs and radios but on a second thought, I decided to open it up for everybody. This is because everyone has some knowledge or experience that could add values to others if shared. This could be how you successfully executed on your idea, how you lost some weight, how you overcame an addiction, how you helped your kids improve their grades, how you improved relationship with your spouse, how you turned around your career, what it's like being the Media Adviser to former President, Goodluck Jonathan or on a lighter mood, what it's like being a molue conductor in Lagos . . . Just about anything worth sharing.

And to make every conversation on Amadesk easy to classify, group and track across the platform and in the future when users start growing rapidly, hashtags are used to specify what every AMA is discussing and for emphasis. This hastagging is a core functionality of Amadesk as the site is built around people being able to auto discover and join conversations around their interest globally without following, or friending anyone on Amadesk.

Some cool fellows are already having good time in this website, so hop in and join the conversation visit http://amadesk.com

From
Nwosu Friday
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:46am On Nov 06, 2015
Its a good idea but your site is not opening and why does one have to go through Facebook before accessing it?
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 9:52am On Nov 06, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:
Its a good idea but your site is not opening and why does one have to go through Facebook before accessing it?

The site is opening. You need to login with facebook because you need to be identified.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by airsaylongcon: 11:58am On Nov 06, 2015
fanwosu:

The site is opening. You need to login with facebook because you need to be identified.

Berra create a means for people to create an account on your site. NO WAY I'M GIVING MY FB credentials to an unproven site. Privacy is a huge issue you know

1 Like

Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 12:02pm On Nov 06, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Berra create a means for people to create an account on your site. NO WAY I'M GIVING MY FB credentials to an unproven site. Privacy is a huge issue you know

The same information you will enter when creating an account is what you will provide by logging in with facebook. Using facebook only saves you time . . . and every website is unproven when starting.

1 Like

Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by airsaylongcon: 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2015
fanwosu:

The same information you will enter when creating an account is what you will provide by logging in with facebook.

I prefer to provide that info on your site. Anonymity and privacy issues. From a security perspective we call it reducing footprint. If for some reason your site is compromised, only information I provided there is at risk. The intrusion cannot be escalated to my FB account

2 Likes

Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 12:10pm On Nov 06, 2015
airsaylongcon:

I prefer to provide that info on your site. Anonymity and privacy issues. From a security perspective we call it reducing footprint. If for some reason your site is compromised, only information I provided there is at risk. The intrusion cannot be escalated to my FB account

I see your reservations, but your name, email and picture from facebook has nothing to do with accessing your facebook account.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by JohnNgene: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
Nnannem, Airsaylongcon your potential user is giving you a reasonable reason why he doesn't feel safe using his facebook to login to your site and instead of giving him another option, you're here arguing with him.

You better thank him for even giving you his reasons. Many other potential users/visitors of your site will most likely forget about your site and visit google instead.

Your new startup will succeed when you learn to listen to suggestions and make necessary adjustments.

7 Likes

Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 1:11pm On Nov 06, 2015
JohnNgene:
Nnannem, Airsaylongcon your potential user is giving you a reasonable reason why he doesn't feel safe using his facebook to login to your site and instead of giving him another option, you're here arguing with him.

You better thank him for even giving you his reasons. Many other potential users/visitors of your site will most likely forget about your site and visit google instead.

Your new startup will succeed when you learn to listen to suggestions and make necessary adjustments.

Well noted. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by All4good: 11:09pm On Nov 06, 2015
airsaylongcon:

@fannwosu the comment above is very valid. I always avoid signing up with my Facebook ID. And even established sites still give new users traditional sign up options.
Again I suggest you be flexible with the amount and type of details your users want in their profile. Sites like Nairaland allow their users remain incognito while some choose to add their pictures to their profile.

1 Like

Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 3:34am On Nov 07, 2015
All4good:

@fannwosu the comment above is very valid. I always avoid signing up with my Facebook ID. And even established sites still give new users traditional sign up options.
Again I suggest you be flexible with the amount and type of details your users want in their profile. Sites like Nairaland allow their users remain incognito while some choose to add their pictures to their profile.

Ok thank. We'll effect the change.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by Maximus85(m): 7:26am On Nov 07, 2015
fanwosu:
On the 3rd of November, I returned to Lagos from Abuja where I went to present to some people at the presidency on some software deals. While in Abuja, I had over two weeks to reflect on a lot of things, and strategise on what next to invest my time after my last startup ended abruptly, please don't ask me why, just guess or assume. I had that much time to reflect because the OGA AT THE TOP I went to see informed me he was travelling with Mr President to the States for the just concluded UN Summit when I was already in Abuja. So I had to stay back and wait, do I have a choice? thank God I've a bachelor cousin brother Jose, who together with his friends and girl, made sure I enjoyed my stay . . . and the rest is now history.

So I returned to Lagos on a Saturday. Took Sunday and Monday off. When I say off, I mean my laptop being turned off not because Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company refused to give light to my street but because an Igbo proverb says beta anu, beta anu bu n'ahu nnama (translated to: cut meat cut meat, na from cow body) . . . So while off and weighing which of my ideas to kickstart next, I had some challenges zeroing in on one because all of them seem pretty much worth giving a shot. But then I remembered something Jonny Ive, the genius heading Apple Designs said about Steve Jobs' definition of focus, so I quote him verbatim "What focus means is saying no to something that with every bone in your body think is a phenomenal idea, and you wake up thinking about it, but you end up saying no to it because you're focusing on something else." So with that help from Steve Jobs via Jonny Ive, I shelved the other ideas and decided to work on what has now become AMADESK.

. . . . so permit me to introduce Amadesk to you, launched on 22nd October, 2015.

Amadesk is an interacting and engaging platform that enables anyone to share their experience and knowledge by requesting Ask Me Anything (AMA). Users post AMA using hashtag to indicate what they want to be asked about, and encourage other users to ask them questions, which they reply thereby creating a question and answer interaction.

The idea behind this came from several not so good experiences I always have when trying to call on several radio and TV programmes to ask questions and not being able to get through, then I figured I can actually solve this problem which I realized others are experiencing too, by create an online platform where everyone can be able to get through to anyone who is hosting a question and answer session, and have their questions answered.

At first, I just wanted to build for people that go on TVs and radios but on a second thought, I decided to open it up for everybody. This is because everyone has some knowledge or experience that could add values to others if shared. This could be how you successfully executed on your idea, how you lost some weight, how you overcame an addiction, how you helped your kids improve their grades, how you improved relationship with your spouse, how you turned around your career, what it's like being the Media Adviser to former President, Goodluck Jonathan or on a lighter mood, what it's like being a molue conductor in Lagos . . . Just about anything worth sharing.

And to make every conversation on Amadesk easy to classify, group and track across the platform and in the future when users start growing rapidly, hashtags are used to specify what every AMA is discussing and for emphasis. This hastagging is a core functionality of Amadesk as the site is built around people being able to auto discover and join conversations around their interest globally without following, or friending anyone on Amadesk.

Some cool fellows are already having good time in this website, so hop in and join the conversation visit http://amadesk.com

From
Nwosu Friday

Fishy, why must I register only with my Facebook?
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by DrOladipo: 8:58am On Nov 07, 2015
@ AMADESK you indirectly have a feedback from your to-be users so considering their opinion is a good way to start. Meanwhile learning from similar platforms would not be a bad idea. I recommend you study the quora.com system and build on their successful model or better still, adapt it to the Nigerian cyberspace. Best of luck sir!
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 9:07am On Nov 07, 2015
DrOladipo:
@ AMADESK you indirectly have a feedback from your to-be users so considering their opinion is a good way to start. Meanwhile learning from similar platforms would not be a bad idea. I recommend you study the quora.com system and build on their successful model or better still, adapt it to the Nigerian cyberspace. Best of luck sir!

Thank you Doc, will put the registration form soon. Suggestions received with thanks.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by uniknet: 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2015
fanwosu:

Thank you Doc, will put the registration form soon. Suggestions received with thanks.

Good. Put up the registration form cos personally I don't sign up to sites with my facebook credentials.

Also, you cannot just assume that all internet users are on facebook.

Goodluck on your endeavor and I'll join once your registration form is in place.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 5:00pm On Nov 09, 2015
uniknet:

Good. Put up the registration form cos personally I don't sign up to sites with my facebook credentials.

Goodluck on your endeavor and I'll join once your registration form is in place.

Ok, I'll.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 12:40am On Nov 16, 2015
DrOladipo:

The registration form is now available both on mobile and desktop version. You can now sign up without using facebook
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 12:44am On Nov 16, 2015
uniknet:

The registration form is now available.
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by dhtglobal(m): 8:52am On Dec 01, 2015
DrOladipo:
Re: How I Bounced Back After My Last Startup Ended Abruptly by fanwosu(m): 10:04pm On Dec 13, 2015
[quote author=dhtglobal post=40570437][/quote]

Ok, thanks

(1) (Reply)

Guide On Wholesale Rice, Flour & Vegetable Oil Business / The Perfect German Solution To Your Solar Power Needs / Carbon Black Business In Nigeria. (Modified)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.