Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,507 members, 7,781,559 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:00 PM

Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? (4345 Views)

See What A Woman Was Spotted Doing While Riding A Bicycle(photo) / Bicycle Ride By Osita Chidoka To Last Federal Executive Meeting (photos) / Man Rides Bicycle From Kaduna To Lagos To Thank Yorubas For Voting Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by smile4kenn(m): 7:35am On May 13, 2009
Would you give up your car for a bicycle?

Workers in Nigeria are finding themselves in a jam.

They are having to spend up to six hours queuing for fuel for their cars; and even when they do get fuel, they can spend all day going no where thanks to gridlocked traffic.

Cars may be a status symbol, but are they actually serving us well? Given the economic downturn and environmental issues such as climate change and pollution, is it time for bicycles to make a return?

Are bicycles a viable option in our towns and cities? Would you consider riding a bike to work or do you think it is only for a certain class of people? In Japan, China, South Korea, Bicycle has no class.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by FBS: 8:12am On May 13, 2009
Can you imagine riding a bicycle from Isolo to VI? Thats some journey dont you think?
Now I'm not sure this is politics wink

1 Like

Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by MrCrackles(m): 9:20am On May 13, 2009
I certainly will if more protection is given to cyclists in Nigeria

I am a green person and dont have any qualms in contributing my bit to ensure sustainability and peace of mind! grin
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 9:31am On May 13, 2009
unfortunately, i cant ride a bike to save my life.
I'm not huge on cars either.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Badriyyah(f): 9:55am On May 13, 2009
lol, It depends, if it's a small town. No problem, but major cities like Lagos? Puh-lease, I'll stick to my car. Instead of bicycles why don't we work on our public transport first.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 10:03am On May 13, 2009
Over here I am a keen cyclist! I use a road bike - an all aluminium frame with shimano gears. I use it mostly when my journeys are less than 6miles radius. Only use the car if necessary.

As for cycling in Nigeria, I am more than happy to do it, however I wont be using a road bike, but instead an all terrain bike as it is more suitable for our road. Also another factor that may determine if people would cycle is the attitude of other road users. Quite frankly, there isn't manners or common sense on Nigeria's road. That may put a lot of people off. smiley
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by busibodi(f): 11:15am On May 13, 2009
Over here I am a keen cyclist! I use a road bike - an all aluminium frame with shimano gears.

hurray. we are supposed to be happy!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by oderemo(m): 11:24am On May 13, 2009
guys will burn all unnecessary fats away. the only excise most Nigerian are engage in is at owanbe parties and end up in 6x4 gymnast with the love ones . ride a bike and be fit, mentally and physically. i implore all to try it.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 11:43am On May 13, 2009
busi-bodi:

hurray. we are supposed to be happy!

No but people like you should be banned from civillisation. You ain't even fit for the zoo either, it would be an insult to the animals. smiley

@Topic
I once had this discussion before and quite a few people feels ridding a bike to work is a blow to their social ego and status. I suppose it is something ingrained in our culture? Bicycle is for kids, bike for boys and cars for men? Lol.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by oderemo(m): 11:49am On May 13, 2009
even David Cameron, leader of the conservative, BO-Jo, the mayor all ride to work why not. most of us are just lazy . at 45yrs death be cons for some cos of lack of exercises.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by oderemo(m): 11:50am On May 13, 2009
that word is beckon, sorry.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by busibodi(f): 12:27pm On May 13, 2009
No but people like you should be banned from civillisation. You ain't even fit for the zoo either, it would be an insult to the animals.

Nigeria is not UK or EU.

Even Chinese have dumbed their bicycles for luxury cars.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by SamMilla1(m): 12:28pm On May 13, 2009
My answer is simple enough : NO.

Mr Crackles Green, How do you explain traveling from Lagos to Onitsha With a bike?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by kshow1(m): 12:56pm On May 13, 2009
capital NO when its come to lagos roads for the fllg reasons
1. there are no provision for bicycle on nigerian roads.
2. driving culture of some drivers are extremly bad.
if is for the reason of trafic decongestion why has the Govt failed to provide other means of tranportaion i.e waterways , rails etc.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tkb417(m): 1:04pm On May 13, 2009
for wetin?
na me kill Apostle Paul?
abeggi. make traffic kill all of us. when it gets unbearable, ill relocate to Ogun state.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by oluwdashmi(f): 1:27pm On May 13, 2009
FBS:

Can you imagine riding a bicycle from Isolo to VI? Thats some journey dont you think?
Now I'm not sure this is politics wink
cheesy You might end up under the third mainland bridge. cheesy
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 1:38pm On May 13, 2009
busi-bodi:

Nigeria is not UK or EU.

So you do have a bit of civility/civilness in you? Keep it up.

I really do not see how this have to do with the UK. People have always turned to alternative form of transport, when the roads becomes congested - bicycle, mopeds, "power" bikes are just a few example.

Before you go talking about china, more people have bikes, mopeds, bicycles than cars over there. If you have also taken time to read my post, instead of looking for flaws just for the sole purpose of bickering.  I mentioned already how nigeria's road is not particularly friendly and as such, may discourage a lot of people. This is evident in post made by few people already.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Haksalam(m): 1:46pm On May 13, 2009
NA M-U-M-U GO DO DAT 4 NAIJA grin
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 1:46pm On May 13, 2009
People people people! Some of you are missing the point. The. Idea is not about riding bike to long distance places. Instead, it is meant for short journeys. For example, in the cenral london an experiment was done to see which is quicker for getting to places. The bicycle was found to be faster overall for journeys under 6 miles ( about 8.5 km or so). Most people in busy parts of big cities in Nigeria may live close their work place, and as such ideal for them. To use bicycle.

Also people who are going on short distance journey may also use bicylces. This will overall help cut down the unnecessary journey times and lower traffic. I think that is the idea.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 13, 2009
Do we always have to copy the Western Countries?
Have you been to Igbobi. Okada's are gradually turning the Lagos populace into one-legged humans.
We don't have well laned roads/big enough ones to accomodate bicycle riders.
If you want to end your life quickly, ride a bicycle to work on Lagos roads. I'm sure you won't be back to tell the tale because you'll be on your way to hell/heaven
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by naijacutee(f): 2:01pm On May 13, 2009
Thank you, Elrazur! No one is saying ride from Isolo to VI - If what separated me from my work was 3 hours of traffic (sitting in an air-conditioned car), and I had the option of cycling out of that traffic and getting to work in 30 minutes, please forget status etc - I would cycle! The only problem is that with Okadas everywhere, they would probably push cyclists out of the way. So in Lagos, no. But in a quieter town like Abuja or Jos, definitely!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by solosimple(m): 2:19pm On May 13, 2009
I can't ride a bike and wud never plan to ride but I don't mind buying it why I employ a rider who wud take me to&fro my office. Infact, for me it has always been Bike to work and Bike back home 'cos I can't endure the traffic.
Imagine being in a traffic for over 2hrs. Too Bad!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by smile4kenn(m): 2:32pm On May 13, 2009
Conservative party leader in UK,David Cameron, cycles to work,so if bycicle ridding is anything to go by in Nigeria,then the leaders have to start a good example and in my wildest dream,i don't see any local government chairman doing that let alone the party leader.It would be another way of suppressing the people if the leaders can't do it.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Emperoh(m): 2:45pm On May 13, 2009
smile4kenn:

Conservative party leader in UK,David Cameron, cycles to work,so if bycicle ridding is anything to go by in Nigeria,then the leaders have to start a good example and in my wildest dream,i don't see any local government chairman doing that let alone the party leader.It would be another way of suppressing the people if the leaders can't do it.
Oh well!! maybe we should ask Ojo Maduekwe what he thinks!!
He tried it as minister of Transport during obj's first tenure and boy was he knocked down?
He can tell the tale better!!

So its a no no for me until we put manners on our roads!!
Even if nothing, danfo will make it hell for you!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 2:52pm On May 13, 2009
busi-bodi:

Nigeria is not UK or EU.

I may be missing something here. You say that even the Chinese have dumped their bikes for luxury cars, and you also
mention that Nigeria is not the EU. Can I ask what exactly you are getting at here?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tpiah: 2:54pm On May 13, 2009
If I needed the exercise I would.

Anyone who likes potbelly should go ahead and stay in their cars.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by busibodi(f): 2:55pm On May 13, 2009
I may be missing something here. You say that even the Chinese have dumped their bikes for luxury cars, and you also
mention that Nigeria is not the EU. Can I ask what exactly you are getting at here?

Nigerians should read between the line and do what best for their own unique situation!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 3:00pm On May 13, 2009
busi-bodi:

Nigerians should read between the line and do what best for their own unique situation!

I am sorry, I will not stoop that low. I am not here to pretend I can read your mind, hence the reason why I asked you
to please explain what you mean. Reading between the line does not answer the question I asked.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by PurestBoy(m): 3:02pm On May 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I guess the poster just imported bicycles into the country. So after dressing up for work and maybe I have to drop my wife too and the kids in their school, how will a bicycle contain everyone or do i have to get for my wife and kids too? What about my briefcase and laptop? On the same bicycle too? I guess the poster needs to rethink before starting this kind of thread
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by naijacutee(f): 3:08pm On May 13, 2009
Question:

PurestBoy:

So after dressing up for work and maybe I have to drop my wife too and the kids in their school, how will a bicycle contain everyone or do i have to get for my wife and kids too? What about my briefcase and laptop? On the same bicycle too? I guess the poster needs to rethink before starting this kind of thread

Answer:

busi-bodi:

Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On May 13, 2009
PurestBoy:

I guess the poster just imported bicycles into the country. So after dressing up for work and maybe I have to
drop my wife too and the kids in their school, how will a bicycle contain everyone or do i have to get for my wife
and kids too? What about my briefcase and laptop? On the same bicycle too? I guess the poster needs to rethink
before starting this kind of thread

You have never really cycled before, have you? Your wife could drive your kids to school while you cycle where you need to get to, if within cycling distance. Millions across america, most of them corporate workers, cycle to work or to local transit each day. These have brief cases and laptops they carry about with them as well. I happen to be in training myself so I can start cycling to the train station and then to the lake in the evenings. I rode the bike last night to go get grocery and I did not have food falling off my back or something. lol
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by spikedcylinder: 3:32pm On May 13, 2009
Over here I am a keen cyclist! I use a road bike - an all aluminium frame with shimano gears. I use it mostly when my journeys are less than 6miles radius. Only use the car if necessary.

Are you talking about a bicycle or a bike here?

@ post

Of course I will! Its an option I can consider if I won't get bamboozled off the road by people's road rages.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Buhari Is Dealing Deadly Blows To The Nigerian Economy. / I'm Heartbroken. Lost A Relative To Yesterday's Attack. / Sowore's Arrest.... Eye Witness Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.