Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year (754 Views)

Who Is The Most Decorated Footballer Of All Time At Senior Level? / Steven Gerrard And Frank Lampard Who Is Better At Their Respective Club? / C. Ronaldo Is The World Footballer Of The Year [2008] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by tocdee(m): 10:47am On May 13, 2009
GERRARD NAMED FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR
Paul Eaton 13 May 2009

Steven Gerrard is celebrating today after being named Footballer of the Year by the Football Writers' Association.
The Liverpool skipper beat off competition from Manchester United pair Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney to win the most prestigious individual award in English football.

Having already landed the PFA Fans Player of the Year award this season, the FWA honour caps another incredible campaign for the 28-year-old midfielder, who has led by example and driven his side to within touching distance of achieving their title dreams.

Whether those dreams are realised over the next week or not remains to be seen, but over the course of the past ten months Gerrard has once again cemented his standing as the finest midfielder in European football.

His two goals at West Ham United on Saturday - which temporarily fired Liverpool back to the top of the league - saw him climb above Ian St John in the club's all-time scoring charts as he took his tally for the season to an impressive 23, equalling his best ever return in a red shirt.

Fifteen of his goals this term have arrived in the Premier League and have included strikes in high-profile games against Manchester United and Everton, while in Europe he also rose to the occasion with five goals in the group stages - including his 100th goal for Liverpool against PSV Eindhoven - and then two more against Real Madrid in the last sixteen clash at Anfield.

"We are delighted to honour Steven's contribution this season with our prestigous award," said Steve Bates, National Chairman of the Football Writers' Association.

"Steven has had a fantastic season and has so often been the driving force behind Liverpool's forceful challenge for the Barclays Premier League title.

"His passion and desire to send the title race into the closing days of this campaign has underpinned Liverpool's pursuit of Manchester United and he has frequently caught the eye with outstanding performances which have showcased his considerable talent.

"Steven is viewed by the Football Writers who voted as the heartbeat of Liverpool's team and a player who gives everything for the cause.

"He beat off a strong challenge from Old Trafford stars Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to emerge as a clear winner and he follows a long and illustrious list of British and European footballers to win the vote of the Football Writers."

Steven will be presented with his award at a gala dinner at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London on Friday May 29.

Excellent player all-round! Well done!!!

Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by netotse(m): 10:56am On May 13, 2009
i'm not a liverpool fan(i'm not even much of a football fan but i agree)the guy try!
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by tayoccu(m): 1:42pm On May 13, 2009
a well deserved honour
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by FBS: 8:52am On May 14, 2009
Good for him.
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by amigoes(m): 11:07am On May 14, 2009
Very few people will argue against it.

Its a befitting honour.
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by salehm(m): 11:31am On May 14, 2009
Yeah Steven G You will never walk alone

Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by bgees(m): 4:45pm On May 14, 2009
congrats to king stevie! wink
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by Meldrick(m): 4:54pm On May 14, 2009
netotse:

i'm not a liverpool fan(i'm not even much of a football fan but i agree)the guy try!

How do u agree with what you no little or nothing about?
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by allboyz(m): 9:45pm On May 14, 2009
In all Honesty . . .S.Gee merits the award.

Congrats. wink
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by chidichris(m): 4:13pm On May 15, 2009
this is one of the best decission i have seen in football. it is a well deserved award.
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by bgees(m): 4:25pm On May 15, 2009
Giggs should better hide that PFA award.
Re: Gerrard: Named Footballer Of The Year by amigoes(m): 10:13pm On May 15, 2009
bgees:

Giggs should better hide that PFA award.
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

Emmanuel Adebayor's Forsale Brochure / Lampard: Rooney Best Player I've Played With / Team Of The Decade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.