Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! (11656 Views)

How To Detect A SCAM Interview Using Nairaland / 10 Ways To Detect A Scam Recruitment Agency / How To Detect Job Scam!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by cooldud62: 12:53pm On May 13, 2009
There are several job vacancy ads all over the land,
It is important you know how to detect these adverts so you don't fall victim of the unscrupulous members of the land,
These are some things you should look out for when replying to an ad whether in the dailies or on nairaland!
The fact that an ad appears in the dailies doesn't make it authentic!
some people have gone ahead to host and run websites for scams mainly, so beware.

1) the ads don't have a secured email address like vacancy@zenithbank.com, vacancy@uba.com, they usually come with vacancy@yahoo.com or any of the free email providers! . I once received a mail in my box advertising a polytechnic (new) and one of the programmes to be run in the school is computer science. The sender of the mail listed a lot of email addresses in the to: and sent to everyone, that was too bad as i replied the person(school) to sack the guys in the computer department of the school because a mailer should be used for such, even scammers know that!

2) the ads dont come with office addresses, you don't have an address to look up in case you want to verify if the company actually exists

3) They tell you to pay to take tests

4) They send messages to you that you have been shortlisted for interview though you never applied to work with them! I read a post recently here where a lady was asking if anyone knew a company because they sent an IV to her meanwhile she couldn't remember applying!

5) They tell you to scan your certificate and send to them! ( I saw one like that on nairalist and wondered how it got there) This is the most criminal of them all. On no occasion should you do that. No company will tell you to do that! The best will be for you to bring original copies during interview and its not to be retained by your supposed employer!

I think i have tried a bit and if you know others, please add so people will not be victims.

1 Like

Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by kufreabasi(m): 4:25pm On May 13, 2009
this is true.
thanks for the alert.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by cooldud62: 10:26pm On May 14, 2009
welcome cheesy
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by tainot2002(m): 2:45pm On May 15, 2009
Great Tips.Thanks in a million
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by kaym2: 8:11pm On May 15, 2009
lol
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by olu4dayo: 7:24pm On May 18, 2009
thanks for the alert
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by mayrho(m): 11:44am On May 19, 2009
[b]There are several job vacancy ads all over the land,
It is important you know how to detect these adverts so you don't fall victim of the unscrupulous members of the land,
These are some things you should look out for when replying to an ad whether in the dailies or on nairaland!
The fact that an ad appears in the dailies doesn't make it authentic!
some people have gone ahead to host and run websites for scams mainly, so beware.

1) the ads don't have a secured email address like vacancy@zenithbank.com, vacancy@uba.com, they usually come with vacancy@yahoo.com or any of the free email providers! . I once received a mail in my box advertising a polytechnic (new) and one of the programmes to be run in the school is computer science. The sender of the mail listed a lot of email addresses in the to: and sent to everyone, that was too bad as i replied the person(school) to sack the guys in the computer department of the school because a mailer should be used for such, even scammers know that!

2) the ads dont come with office addresses, you don't have an address to look up in case you want to verify if the company actually exists

3) They tell you to pay to take tests

4) They send messages to you that you have been shortlisted for interview though you never applied to work with them! I read a post recently here where a lady was asking if anyone knew a company because they sent an IV to her meanwhile she couldn't remember applying!

5) They tell you to scan your certificate and send to them! ( I saw one like that on nairalist and wondered how it got there) This is the most criminal of them all. On no occasion should you do that. No company will tell you to do that! The best will be for you to bring original copies during interview and its not to be retained by your supposed employer!

I think i have tried a bit and if you know others, please add so people will not be victims.[/b]

But mind you the fact that they use emails from office does not make it authentic either as in the case of info@interswitch.com or info@gtbplc.org or www.xtracool.net just verify properly before you jump at any offer these scammers are getting real good
God save us all
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by bsanya(f): 1:01pm On May 19, 2009
KUUL MEN!!!
Tanx 4 d info
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by mauzi15(m): 1:23pm On May 19, 2009
What will you say about interviews asking you to come with a consultancy fee of N1,500 or even to the tune of N2,000?? . smells like a big rat if ude ask me. i think its also a scam. jobs shoulkd come free without any price tag attached 2 it. !!
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by MrCrackles(m): 1:25pm On May 19, 2009
OK!
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by yicob(m): 1:32pm On May 19, 2009
Job scam has gone techy
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by pek(m): 1:40pm On May 19, 2009
thanks a lot. i hope all job seekers will read this.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by waterworks(f): 1:44pm On May 19, 2009
@ POSTER ok this is a good post. but i have to ask how do they scam you? i actually want to know thier aims.

they post a job and tell you to come for an interview right? how are you then scammed do they offer you the job on the condition that you give them money or what? (NO ONE IS THAT STUPID) even if they ask for money to pay for test it can't be more than 1k right? measly change in naija now so they cant posssibly live off that?surely they cant scam enough money to make a huge profit or can they? i dont see any main gain here. how do they hammer? what is the point?

Also what is the aim of taking your document what can they do with it? surely as long as it a diff name its invalid right?
nairalanders pls enlighten me.

thnx
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by butter(m): 2:52pm On May 19, 2009
@waterworks,

i think the whole idea behind these scammers is about volume, take the 1k fee issue for instance, and multiply that by several people gullible enough to pay it, you'll agree with me, that it adds up rather, especially when marketing techniques are added to the mix.

as for the document issue, don't even go there, what with "oluwole" around the corner, there's nothing they can't do. case in point, passports with the owners'names on it gets stolen to be used elsewhere by God knows whom.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by opeyemi(m): 3:41pm On May 19, 2009
I agree with you except for the first and second points.

However, I will never encourage any of paying money, photocopying of certs etc.

I have posted some job ads on nairaland using may gmail and yahoo account and though it some respondents have gotten jobs while many others have attnded interviews (without paying a dime). Actually, the current frontdesk officer in my company is a member of nairaland and she was recruited through this medium. I posted another one for various posts about 2weeks ago and people have responded.

I think the thing is that we need to be careful about the ads especially if they request for payments and some very vital credentials.

Anyway, you have raised a very good point.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by ojostephen(m): 6:16pm On May 19, 2009
thanks a million
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by spoilt(f): 11:11pm On May 19, 2009
No employer will ask you to pay a farthing. I cant believe people fall for that. Or they ask you to pay to register with their agency. agencies are supposed to be free too. They get their cut when you are hired! grin
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 8:39am On May 20, 2009
Nice one.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by ramonacee(f): 9:16am On May 20, 2009
good one. kiss kiss
though hard to belive, most people fall for the interview-fee-thing.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by Nobody: 9:51am On May 20, 2009
Even when the email shows recruits@zenithbank.com or congrats@gtbplc.com
it may have been spoofed. Try to locate a link very close the the message saying "Full Headers"
90% email providers have this option and you can see from what domain the email came from.

even with the mail coming from the right domain it could still be fake.
the best option is to confirm this in person.

Imagine me sending a spoofed email that all recruits should get in touch with ABC company as they will take care of all vacancy issues for our bank from now on.
and i happen to own ABC company.
You may fall for it.

Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by kshow1(m): 11:04am On May 20, 2009
what is our beloved country turning to ?
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by oluite(f): 9:52am On May 22, 2009
wat can i say?poverty,no electricity,no water,unemployement probs n then sheer greediness may be a contributing factors to all these scams
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by adekampe: 10:50am On May 22, 2009
I need a job!!!
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by RuuDie(m): 5:52am On May 23, 2009
Who remembers the capable consulting saga at ABJ. . . . . was it December '06 or '07
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by stanorah: 8:55pm On May 24, 2009
Thank, you bro, people are taking advantage of the high rate of unemployment in the country to deceive people. Your information is highly wellcome
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by marylyn12: 1:44am On May 28, 2009
thanks
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by richkid09: 7:28am On May 28, 2009
there are a lot of ways to detect job vacancy scam. We need to do more investigation about the company.
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by vislabraye(m): 2:29pm On Jun 02, 2009
One of them i Know is estherbt, esther breakthrough website www.estherbt.com. You usually see their adverts on a tiny portion of guardian Newspaper.
I strongly suspect dragnet because their charges are so high. i've not been hearing about them of lately.

I am still pondering about Workforce(WFMC). The organised a programme title esdp( employability skill development

programme.) The best candidate of the programme would be awarded a scholarship to Havard. Thousans of
Nigerians applied, with the fee of#3,500. only few were accepted for the programme. But i'm yet to hear about the scholarship and/or the wonderful job opportunities promised . still waiting smiley
Re: How To Detect Job Vacancy Scam! by Elachuks(f): 5:00am On Jun 03, 2009
This is really good, keep up with the good work

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Recruitment : Senators Angry Over Constituents’ Failure To Make List / What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? / Npower: What Account Validity Means

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.