Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language (76997 Views)

Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 12:26pm On Nov 10, 2015
Okun and Igbomina complaining. What will the defiant Olukumi do?
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 12:32pm On Nov 10, 2015
airsaylongcon:
Okun and Igbomina complaining. What will the defiant Olukumi do?
Who are the Olukunmi?
Which state do they belong too?
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 12:35pm On Nov 10, 2015
Classicool:
Who are the Olukunmi? Which state do they belong too?
Deep inside Delta State. Yoruba ppl surrounded by igboid speakers
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 12:37pm On Nov 10, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Deep inside Delta State. Yoruba ppl surrounded by igboid speakers
Are they close to warri or Sapele or Uhrobo side?
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by airsaylongcon: 12:49pm On Nov 10, 2015
Classicool:

Are they close to warri or Sapele or Uhrobo side?

They are in Aniocha North. That's towards Asaba side (for reference). I'm not saying they are in Asaba o! I use Asaba so you can have an idea of what part of the state they are located
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fratermathy(m): 1:46pm On Nov 10, 2015
airsaylongcon:

They are in Aniocha North. That's towards Asaba side (for reference). I'm not saying they are in Asaba o! I use Asaba so you can have an idea of what part of the state they are located

Use Issele-Uku instead. It's the closest town to them. Even Ogwashi-Uku is better than Asaba. However, they are all in Asaba axis like you pointed out.
Those people are really on a long thing though! Thank God that the current government has given some of their people some appointments!.

@Classicool:
I have created a thread that hit frontpage about the Olukunmis earlier this year. This people migrated from current Ondo State in the past to Delta and they are completely surrounded by Igbos. Although most of them still maintain their Olukunmi status and language, lots have joined the Igbo bandwagon entirely. A friend of mine from this place bears Temidayo Nwabueze as his name. The Temidayo is a relic of his Yoruba ancestry whilst the Nwabueze is a product of current Igbo acculturation. However, even in the midst of this, the Olukunmis have tried to make sure they are seen as Yorubas. Their king bears Ayo as his name and in his palace, only Yoruba is spoken! However, in the town itself, it is mainly the older generation that speak Yoruba now! The younger ones have largely been acculturated. I just pray Olukunmi dialect of Yoruba doesn't become extinct in the nearest future! Yoruba Socio-Political groups need to come in and support the plight of the people and enhance their cultural renaissance.

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
darfay:

Ehen hw does dat increase the price of crude oil.now get this into ur thick skull the urhobos nd isokos have no relationship with the gorilla leg igbos nor do we have anything in common with lazy tiger faced yorubas

Hahehahahagahajsjsjah... burst into laughter.. hahah.. ewo''''' oniovo abeg nor kill me with Laff.. edafe wor' mo' rair'... Lolz... hahah
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 10, 2015
darfay:

Plz stop sYing trash isoko cannot nd has never bin a branch of urhobo just linguistic neighbours.isoko is the name of a people, their land, their language nd their culture nd stop trying to seprate erowha from isoko.if I were u I would stop bodering myself about isoko nd start worrying bout uvwie nd the okpes who in a few years time would become a fully independent nd autonomous as dey rightly should be
Lordadam I hail o

Proudly isoko
Isoko wadooooooo

Haters lyk fattymathy can jump into d ethiope river

Calm down brother... Fratermathy mean no arm.. he is a brother..

PS: Uvwie and Okpe re strong Urhobo.. even if there is another Awolowo who created Isoko due to his beef with Urhobo .. he can't seperate uvwie from Urhobo..nobody can.... Uvwie already loosing its language to main Urhobo.

Good afternoon bros

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bokohalal(m): 2:30pm On Nov 10, 2015
Has Fratermathy accepted that IGHO is an African loan word in Portuguese?

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by macof(m): 2:46pm On Nov 10, 2015
fratermathy:

Use Issele-Uku instead. It's the closest town to them. Even Ogwashi-Uku is better than Asaba. However, they are all in Asaba axis like you pointed out.
Those people are really on a long thing though! Thank God that the current government has given some of their people some appointments!.

@Classicool:
I have created a thread that hit frontpage about the Olukunmis earlier this year. This people migrated from current Ondo State in the past to Delta and they are completely surrounded by Igbos. Although most of them still maintain their Olukunmi status and language, lots have joined the Igbo bandwagon entirely. A friend of mine from this place bears Temidayo Nwabueze as his name. The Temidayo is a relic of his Yoruba ancestry whilst the Nwabueze is a product of current Igbo acculturation. However, even in the midst of this, the Olukunmis have tried to make sure they are seen as Yorubas. Their king bears Ayo as his name and in his palace, only Yoruba is spoken! However, in the town itself, it is mainly the older generation that speak Yoruba now! The younger ones have largely been acculturated. I just pray Olukunmi dialect of Yoruba doesn't become extinct in the nearest future! Yoruba Socio-Political groups need to come in and support the plight of the people and enhance their cultural renaissance.

They bear yorubic names up and down but sociopolitically or as a matter of association they don't see themselves as Yorubas. They are infact warming up to igbos more.
I've met the Oloza, a very cool man doesn't talk much. .and he speaks standard yoruba
Unless an effort from yorubas is made to call on the olukumi, forget it cus many are already losing their yorubaness

3 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by macof(m): 3:01pm On Nov 10, 2015
fratermathy:

Speak for yourself o cheesy

Most Yorubas dont share the same sentiment! This thing is that most Yorubas believe that Okuns and Igbominas should be given appointments and other political incentives based on their affiliations with North Central Region. However, the North Central majority believe that Okuns and Igbominas should get incentives from their South West brothers. How then will they resolve this dilemma?

Furthermore, Okun and Igbomina Yoruba is seen by the typical Awori man, for example, as "impure" due to its influences from Hausa, Nupe, Igara, Tiv and the Islamic Religion. Hence, whenever they speak their own version of Yoruba, others tend to circle them out as being inferior in standard Yoruba communicative competence. This is another dilemma.

While it is good that some of you are embracing your Okun and Igbomina brothers, the lot have to do better to embrace them. They can only look up to the South West! The Northern folks will never allow an Okun or Igbomina man to "collect" what they see as theirs!

Why would an Awori consider the Okun impure? If it's cus of islam dont Awori have of a large muslim population? Infact in Ebutemetta and Lagos island there are more mosques than churches and most shrines are not in easily accessible places. .hence you find Awori people turning any t-junction to Esu's altar.
Btw Okun are not as influenced by all those people as you think, the lack much ability to communicate in Yoruba except their dialect but it's not as if they are adopting hausa.

Igbomina? ? Don't even say it again. The Igbomina paramount ruler remains an Oba Alade as the 2nd son of Oduduwa. And they hold the largest population in Kwara state. . Because of them people proudly count Kwara as a Yoruba state
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Agbaletu: 3:23pm On Nov 10, 2015
fratermathy:

Speak for yourself o cheesy

Most Yorubas dont share the same sentiment! This thing is that most Yorubas believe that Okuns and Igbominas should be given appointments and other political incentives based on their affiliations with North Central Region. However, the North Central majority believe that Okuns and Igbominas should get incentives from their South West brothers. How then will they resolve this dilemma?

Furthermore, Okun and Igbomina Yoruba is seen by the typical Awori man, for example, as "impure" due to its influences from Hausa, Nupe, Igara, Tiv and the Islamic Religion. Hence, whenever they speak their own version of Yoruba, others tend to circle them out as being inferior in standard Yoruba communicative competence. This is another dilemma.

While it is good that some of you are embracing your Okun and Igbomina brothers, the lot have to do better to embrace them. They can only look up to the South West! The Northern folks will never allow an Okun or Igbomina man to "collect" what they see as theirs!

I disagree with you on that. It is a pure lie from the pit of hell brother.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fratermathy(m): 3:27pm On Nov 10, 2015
Agbaletu:

I disagree with you on that. It is a pure lie from the pit of hell brother.

Whether it is a lie or not, that was what I was made to believe from my sojourns in Kwara State!

And dont get me wrong, I do not think that the dialects are impure myself. I cant hear them and so I cant judge. However, the majority of Yorubas I interviewed on this always say that Igbomina and Okun are not pure. That is their personal opinion. Yours may be different!
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Agbaletu: 3:27pm On Nov 10, 2015
macof:

Why would an Awori consider the Okun impure? If it's cus of islam dont Awori have of a large muslim population? Infact in Ebutemetta and Lagos island there are more mosques than churches and most shrines are not in easily accessible places. .hence you find Awori people turning any t-junction to Esu's altar.
Btw Okun are not as influenced by all those people as you think, the lack much ability to communicate in Yoruba except their dialect but it's not as if they are adopting hausa.

Igbomina? ? Don't even say it again. The Igbomina paramount ruler remains an Oba Alade as the 2nd son of Oduduwa. And they hold the largest population in Kwara state. . Because of them people proudly count Kwara as a Yoruba state

You are right man!

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Agbaletu: 3:32pm On Nov 10, 2015
fratermathy:

Whether it is a lie or not, that was what I was made to believe from my sojourns in Kwara State!

I did not say you are telling lie, please. One of my step mothers is from Okoro-Gbede and nobody has ever looked down on her or her family members that we grew up together.

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fratermathy(m): 3:33pm On Nov 10, 2015
macof:

Agbaletu:

I did not say you are telling lie, please. One of my step mothers is from Okoro-Gbede and nobody has ever looked down on her or her family members that we grew up together.
You know I am not a Yoruba person and thus, I do not understand the internal politics of Yoruba people! What I said were the personal opinions of people I asked about this when I was in Kwara, Osogbo, Ekiti and Lagos! Most of the South-West Yorubas tell me that Okun and Igbomina are not pure and some even went further to describe a phenomenon where Ilorin Yoruba people add "Fa" to virtually everything they say. However, these opinions, like I said, are personal and yours may be different!
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Agbaletu: 3:40pm On Nov 10, 2015
fratermathy:

You know I am not a Yoruba person and thus, I do not understand the internal politics of Yoruba people! What I said were the personal opinions of people I asked about this when I was in Kwara, Osogbo, Ekiti and Lagos! Most of the South-West Yorubas tell me that Okun and Igbomina are not pure and some even went further to describe a phenomenon where Ilorin Yoruba people add "Fa" to virtually everything they say. However, these opinions, like I said, are personal and yours may be different!
Anyway, you can't be wrong but do you know that some towns and villages in Ekiti State speak like the Okuns?
Besides, you have virtually lived in all Yoruba States now.....so you are half-Yoruba then.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by HugoChavezJr(m): 3:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
bokohalal:

The things we see here are sometimes unimaginable. As a Bini, I can understand the feeling of importance by some people to put us down and deny anything to us.
To the uninitiated, the only difference I know between Esan and Bini is the IGBABONELIMHIN masquerade!

You are correct. Most Esan people should be able to comprehend basic Bini and vice versa. Especially people from Esan West and Iguegben.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fratermathy(m): 3:59pm On Nov 10, 2015
Agbaletu:

Anyway, you can't be wrong but do you know that some towns and villages in Ekiti State speak like the Okuns?
Besides, you have virtually lived in all Yoruba States now.....so you are half-Yoruba then.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I didn't really live in them. It was more of touring around them. I just love travelling. I served in Kwara and I loved Yorubas ever since my contact with them and so I usually try to know as much as I can about them. I believe in a few years time, I may be able to speak Yoruba as fluently as the Ooni! tongue
As for the Ekiti fact you just told me now, I wasn't aware. Thanks for educating me on that.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 4:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
macof:

They bear yorubic names up and down but sociopolitically or as a matter of association they don't see themselves as Yorubas. They are infact warming up to igbos more.
I've met the Oloza, a very cool man doesn't talk much. .and he speaks standard yoruba
Unless an effort from yorubas is made to call on the olukumi, forget it cus many are already losing their yorubaness
I'll get in-touch with few people that I know are capable of helping the matters... But try test or call this man and tell him your plight(08025900937).... Whenever heard about yoruba loosing their heritage it always break my hearth.
Pls call/test the man while I'll also do the same.
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 4:18pm On Nov 10, 2015
airsaylongcon:

That place is very complex zone... It will be hard for you to connect with other Yoruba states...
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by bigfrancis21: 5:38pm On Nov 10, 2015
Classicool:

Who are the Olukunmi?
Which state do they belong too?

OLUKWUMI PEOPLE
The Olukwumi people occupy an Anioma clan and are called "Odiani". The reason for this I am not really sure but the clan consists of 6 towns namely Ugbodu, Ukwu Nzu and Ubulubu (Olukwumi speaking) and Ogodor, Ugboba and Idumuogo (mainly Igbo speaking). Ugbodu is actually the traditional headquarters of the Olukwumi people but because of a serious Ekumeku battle staged at Ukwu Nzu in 1904, the colonialists decided to move the Native Authority headquarters to Ukwu Nzu leading to the false claims by some Ukwu Nzu people that they are "the clan head".

The name Ugbodu comes from "Igbo Odun" or sweet forest in Yoruba. They were from Akure and settled in Benin during the reign of the last Ogiso called OWODO. The Ogiso was allegded to have used his only son for sacrifice in order to have more sons and for this reason, the Ugbodu people (who were apprehensive that they being non-Edos could also be victims) led by one Adeola moved eastwards in a site which they felt was secured (hence the name " sweet forests".). This from genealogy occurred in about 1200 AD.

About three or four generations later, one Agbe a relative of the founders of Usen near Benin (they came from Ile Ife) moved eastwards and settled near Ugbodu people. He was attracted to a chalk site and he settled there. Gradually, the Ukwu Nzu people began to earn revenue from those chalk mines and they for this reason were called a people settled on a camp for chalk mining. This is Eko Afun is Olukwumi language. Gradually the Igbo version Ukwu Nzu replaced the original name.

Ubulubu was founded in about 1800 by some Ugbodu people and they were soon joined by people from Ukwu Nzu. This is one reason they don't have hereditary monarchy. Another migration occurred in the late 16th century to Ugbodu. It was an Owo (in Ondo State) war general named Ologun (or Balogun) who was in the Benin army. He founded one of the qtrs in Ugbodu now called OLOGHOSA.

The ruler of Ugbodu goes by the title of "Oloza'' derived from Oloja (a Yoruba title ) while Ukwu Nzu and Ubulubu are governed by Obis or Okpalabisis which are Igbo titles. There are also two Olukwumi dialects. One which is considered purer is spoken in Ugbodu while another massively saturated with Igbo words is spoken in Ubulubu and Ukwu Nzu. Apart from language, the Olukwumi speakers are identical with other Anioma people in customs.

The other three Odiani towns ie Ugboba, Idumuogo and Ogodor are mainly a blend of people who came from the three originally Olukwumi communities, Igbo speaking communities mainly from the Ezechime clan and a few families from the Esan area of Edo state. It is because of their rather mixed origins that led to the displacement of the Olukwumi language in those towns.

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/index.php?topic=22509.525
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Classicool(m): 5:44pm On Nov 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

OLUKWUMI PEOPLE
The Olukwumi people occupy an Anioma clan and are called "Odiani". The reason for this I am not really sure but the clan consists of 6 towns namely Ugbodu, Ukwu Nzu and Ubulubu (Olukwumi speaking) and Ogodor, Ugboba and Idumuogo (mainly Igbo speaking). Ugbodu is actually the traditional headquarters of the Olukwumi people but because of a serious Ekumeku battle staged at Ukwu Nzu in 1904, the colonialists decided to move the Native Authority headquarters to Ukwu Nzu leading to the false claims by some Ukwu Nzu people that they are "the clan head".

The name Ugbodu comes from "Igbo Odun" or sweet forest in Yoruba. They were from Akure and settled in Benin during the reign of the last Ogiso called OWODO. The Ogiso was allegded to have used his only son for sacrifice in order to have more sons and for this reason, the Ugbodu people (who were apprehensive that they being non-Edos could also be victims ) led by one Adeola moved eastwards in a site which they felt was secured (hence the name " sweet forests".). This from genealogy occurred in about 1200 AD.

About three or four generations later, one Agbe a relative of the founders of Usen near Benin( they came from Ile Ife ) moved eastwards and settled near Ugbodu people. He was attracted to a chalk site and he settled there. Gradually, the Ukwu Nzu people began to earn revenue from those chalk mines and they for this reason were called a people settled on a camp for chalk mining. This is Eko Afun is Olukwumi language. Gradually the Igbo version Ukwu Nzu replaced the original name.

Ubulubu was founded in about 1800 by some Ugbodu people and they were soon joined by people from Ukwu Nzu. This is one reason they don't have hereditary monarchy. Another migration occurred in the late 16th century to Ugbodu. It was an Owo (in Ondo State) war general named Ologun (or Balogun) who was in the Benin army. He founded one of the qtrs in Ugbodu now called OLOGHOSA.

The ruler of Ugbodu goes by the title of "Oloza'' derived from Oloja( a Yoruba title ) while Ukwu Nzu and Ubulubu are governed by Obis or Okpalabisis which are Igbo titles. There are also two Olukwumi dialects. One which is considered purer is spoken in Ugbodu while another massively saturated with Igbo words is spoken in Ubulubu and Ukwu Nzu. Apart from language, the Olukwumi speakers are identical with other Anioma people in customs.

The other three Odiani towns ie Ugboba, Idumuogo and Ogodor are mainly a blend of people who came from the three originally Olukwumi communities, Igbo speaking communities mainly from the Ezechime clan and a few families from the Esan area of Edo state. It is because of their rather mixed origins that led to the displacement of the Olukwumi language in those towns.

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/index.php?topic=22509.525
Okay.. They just want to be in contact with their kit and kin in SW and SS... So I'm trying to bring this to the front of the table for all pan-yoruba group...
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by darfay: 12:32pm On Nov 11, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Calm down brother... Fratermathy mean no arm.. he is a brother..

PS: Uvwie and Okpe re strong Urhobo.. even if there is another Awolowo who created Isoko due to his beef with Urhobo .. he can't seperate uvwie from Urhobo..nobody can.... Uvwie already loosing its language to main Urhobo.

Good afternoon bros

Ok ayaf calm down lol buh dat guy beef with isoko jux 2 much sha
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by lawani: 9:10pm On Nov 19, 2015
I hate having to set the records straight about Ife Benin relationship everytime. I would not know the language spoken by my ancestors of five thousand years ago but the modern Yoruba we speak today is derived mainly from Kemitic Egyptian built on a proto Igbo/Ife language, then there are words from Esan, Tapa, Afemai and etc. The Yoruba is now a distinct language on its own. I for now believe the two languages that share the most cognates with modern Yoruba are Kemitic Egyptian and the Igboid group of languages.

As for the word Oba, it means perch on top of something. If I say m o ba le ni ori, it means I perched on top of it. The diacritics is reh reh reh mih reh mih. So an Oba means someone perching on top of everything meaning King. So it is a Yoruba word and not edoid though I would not know if the word also has a meaning in Benin. Among all the groups referred to as Edoid, only the Benin use the word Oba, from where they exported it to Ogba land during the time of the empire. Then it should be clear that the Benin empire was a Yoruba speaking empire headquartered in Benin and Benin itself is from Ibinu, a Yoruba word meaning vexation or anger, named so by people from Ife, the empire was not Edoid in identity but Eastern Yoruba. The royals were addressed only in Yoruba in the past and that would include all the early Kings of Anioma, Onitsha and Ogba land. All those Kings spoke Yoruba in their courts in the past when they related with Benin. The Portuguese and British corresponded with the Benin only in Yoruba. Those are facts of history that can be checked. There were definitely Edoid empires in the past because we have had civilization for thousands and thousands of years but the Benin was not one. That one was Yoruba in identity. The word Ba from which Oba was derived also occurs in old Kemitic Egyptian and means more or less thesame as in modern Yoruba. I believe there must be an equivalent in Igala, Itsekiri, Olukunmi and other Yoruboid languages. So again the word for King in Yoruba is Oba as in Alaafin is the Oba of Oyo, Deji is the Oba of Akure, Owa Obokun is the Oba of Ijesa, Ooni is the Oba of Ife. So people should learn. All those titles do not mean King, they are just orikis to identify one Oba from the other. Olu is not Oba. A town with an Olu started off as an appendage of an Oba. Olu means prime person. Olu omo means prime child or most important child.

The Benin may not be able to understand our language today but I believe our ancestors understood their ancestors very well and that they saw Ife as their source hence their accepting a new Prince from the new dynasty in Ife. Oranyan formed the present line of Obas in Benin and returned to Ife, leaving behind his small son Owomika as King, hence the title 'Omo ni Oba ni Edo' meaning The child is King in Edo.

Those are the facts and that is the origin of the Oba title in Benin but of course some Benin have new versions of history that attempt to contradict these positions in a bid to carve out a different identity but this is not necessary. Different languages do not mean we are not one people. The people who spread the English language across the word had ancestors that spoke Celtic languages that are totally unrelated to English like Russian is unrelated to Chinese.

2 Likes

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 3:58am On Dec 04, 2015
ALSO MR OR MRS IGBO, IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND, PLEASE ASK, FAILURE TO ASK MAKES YOU UNEDUCATED, THERE ARE MORE THAN 10 LANGUAGES IN DELTA, ISOKO AND URHOBO ARE THE MAJOR LANGUAGE, THE FACT THAT ASABA SPEAK IGBOS DOES NOT MEAN URHOBO SPEAK, THERE THEIR MIGHT BE BROKEN WORD WHEN SPEAKING JUST LIKE WHEN YOU IGBO SPEAK, YOU ARE MIXING ENGLISH, PIDGIN WHICH BELONG TO DELTA AS SO ON AND THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DO NOT HAVE IT IN THE WAY IT IS CALLED IN THE REAL TRIBE OF IT, BUT BECAUSE YOU DO NOT WANNA TO BE LONG TO REMEMBER, THEN YOU CHIP IN THE BORROWED ONE. YOU GOT ME CLEAR?
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 04, 2015
the major problem you people have in the world is that you find it ignorant to trace the original source of words, either igbo, hausa, yoruba are never formed 100% on its own. i know this person is trying to talk about the word like : JESU CHRISTI which that world is never ever any Nigerian tribal language. it is all borrowed. JESU is a 100% latin word and that is where the isoko urhobo or any other person using it derived it from. 90% of any language formation if the whole world derive its origin from LATIN, HEBREW,GREEK and even ARABIC so you never have a complete language of you own and stop deceiving yourselves but be educated. Before you know it, you will hear people saying something like: YORUBA PEOPLE SAY THIS> HAUSA PEOPLE SAY THIS: IGBO PEOPLE SAY THIS> ISOKO URHOBO PEOPLE SAYS THIS, talking about parable stuf. Let me tell you vividly, none os the tribe ever said any thing, look inside you bible or quran, all the parables you are talking about are inside them, meaning it has been said even before you started you language. you have only interpreted it from the original languages. even english, most of the 95% of the words are drived from same source and that is why when you check your dictionary for words, they will write {originated fromthe latin word) etc.. so teacher, do not teach me nonsense, if you wanna learn more, contact me
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by luckysay(m): 5:36pm On Feb 11, 2016
Am just so surprised that most of the Urhobo brothers that post here lacks basic knowledge of their facts before they rush to type half baked informations and argues blindly. Am sorry to say.
Starting from the last. Some Isoko and Urhobo's decents from Igboland is a research work done by a prominent educational icon in Nigeria. To just argue his work blindly online with insult shows lack of intellectual civilization on the part of the Urhobo man.
Again, Isoko is different form Urhobo for your dull head to hear. Look are what you posted as Isoko and Urhobo words being same with yoruba and Igbo;
(1) Biko - isokos don't use biko as please but ole or ivieee
(2) Obara - obara is not blood in Isoko language. Blood is called aze
(3) Oba - Isokos don't use oba as a king but Ovie
(4) Osusu - osusu is not also an isoko word.
(5) Olori - olori in Isoko language does not mean hesd as in authority but Lord. This is similar though.
(6) Akpere - I don't know of any Isoko word called Akpere.
(7) Jesu - is not a Nigeria name. It is a jewish name Jesus corrupted the work over in the various listerners intonation.
It will please you to know that isoko is very rich in words and hardly borrows. Though there may be interrelationship

1 Like

Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 28, 2016
Babe u try...here's another one Yoruba enu/gbenu? = mouth; Isoko enu= mouth
igbo: onu (mouth)
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 28, 2016
mich2012:
No 9 is "Ejima" in Igbo and not "Ejime"
ejima = ejime in Igbo just a dielectal deviation
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by aniomafirstson: 9:52pm On Jun 23, 2017
slimfresh:
[q
uote author=fratermathy post=39759682]Lovely thread! Make I ..go ready my ekpeti first.

Ekpeti don set.

Although I wont restrict mine to Igbo/Yoruba

a.isikuru English: school
b.igalasi English: glass
c.akiteti English: architect
d.itaba Portuguese: tabaco (Tobacco)
e.Osete Portuguese: serta (Plate)
f.utujoro Portuguese: tesoura (Scissors)
g.uririen Portuguese: unie (an ingredient for pepper soup)
h.oleso Portuguese leso (handkerchief)
i.inama Hausa: nama (cow meat)
j.ibo English: ball
k.itomatosi Portuguese: tomato
l.ikpekere Yoruba: kpekere (plantain chips)
m.ejime Igbo: ejime (twin)
n.osusu Yoruba: osusu (monthly savings)
o. ikeki English: cake
p.imidaka Portuguese: mandioca (Cassava)
q.ugu Igbo: ugu (vegetable)
r.akpere Yoruba: akpere (basket)
s. imanu Hausa: malu (cow)
t. ifiniya Portuguese: farinha (tapioca)
u.isabatu Portuguese: sapato (sandals)
v.igho Portuguese: igos/iguou (money)
w.agbero Yoruba: agbero (tout)
x.akara Yoruba: akara (beans cake)
y.iyasere Edo: iyasere (prime minister)
z.isuya Hausa: suyah (roasted beef)
cheesy Alphabet don finish o Goodboiy. Freemanan permission to carry on?
i. akpu Igbo: akpu (Fufu)
ii.ibanki English: bank
iii.ikomputa English: computer
iv.ibroda English: brother
v.oro Portuguese: ouro (gold)

That's all I have for now.
This post is subject to further edits if more ideas come cheesy. Lalasticlala, Seun, Dominique, Obinoscopy and Oam4j, please take note and beware of my sons, Goodboiy, Freemanan, Alkarulezz, Freeemanan, Scholes0 and Onuwaje, emo zighizighi!

yorubas dont pronounce like that joor.....which o e be 'igalsi' 'ibanki'? Infact all you wrote about youruba words were wrongly spelt and going by d spelling wrongly pronounced.

pls what is the meaning of ekpeti and what language is that
Re: Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language by fratermathy(m): 11:06pm On Jun 23, 2017
aniomafirstson:

pls what is the meaning of ekpeti and what language is that

Ekpeti means stool and it is Urhobo language.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / Adebutu Kessington In ₦300m Rolls-Royce Phantom / Igbo Chieftaincy Titles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.