Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:49 PM

Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion (633 Views)

Nigerian Emerges President-general Of World Youth Organisation / Godswill Akpabio Meets With Wellington Jighere, World Scrabble Champion. (Pics) / Buhari Congratulates Wellington Jighere For Emerging World Scrabble Champion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by speedyGonzales: 11:40am On Nov 08, 2015
Mr Jighere Wellington of Nigeria on Sunday morning emerged the new Scrabble champion of the world after defeating Lewis Mackay 4-0 in a Best of Seven series in Perth Australia.

The duel which was monitored online kicked off at 2 a.m. Nigerian time with the winner set to emerge after coming tops in seven games.

But Wellington, who had already finished first in a 32-Game Scrabble marathon to qualify for the two-man finals and defeated his English opponent in just four games and thus becomes the new World Scrabble Champion.

NAN recalls that Wellington also placed 3rd at the World Scrabble Championship in 2007.

Nigeria also emerged as the best team of the championship as five of its six representatives finished in top 50 players of the tournament with Ayorinde Saidu and Emmanuel Umujose placing 16th and 17th, respectively.

With this victory Nigeria will gain more slots in terms of representations at subsequent world tournaments.

The President of the Nigeria Scrabble Federation (NSF), Suleiman Garba, in a phone interview with NAN, attributed the victory to hard work and dedication.

“It is a testimony of the potential of Nigeria as a country and the sacrifice and hard work of the board under my leadership.

“We started preparation about a year ago with seven camps which we christened Scrabble Meets to put our team in shape for the world championship and it has paid off.

“I am very proud of the Nigerian team and very proud to be Nigerian.

“I hope this victory will be made complete when our Golden Eaglets wins the World Cup later today,’’ he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/jighere-wellington-of-nigeria-emerges-world-scrabble-champion/

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by EdCure: 11:44am On Nov 08, 2015
Thank you for making Nigeria proud.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by politricks: 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
Nigerians representing all over the world. Next is for golden eaglets to bring the cup home.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by LoveMachine(m): 6:48pm On Nov 08, 2015
WE ARE GREATNESS IN THE FLESH! NAIJA UP!
Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by Nobody: 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2015
Where is lalasticlala sef?

This is news worthy... grin
Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by Pavore9: 7:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
This is inspiring.
Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by drberry(m): 8:47pm On Nov 08, 2015
I always knew we gat it in us. Kudos to you bro.
Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by chidibond(m): 8:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
I'll get there someday. Teach your kids #Scrabble, it liberates the mind.
Re: Nigerian Emerges World Scrabble Champion by Doshmynthrill(m): 11:50pm On Nov 20, 2015
speedyGonzales:
Mr Jighere Wellington of Nigeria on Sunday morning emerged the new Scrabble champion of the world after defeating Lewis Mackay 4-0 in a Best of Seven series in Perth Australia.

The duel which was monitored online kicked off at 2 a.m. Nigerian time with the winner set to emerge after coming tops in seven games.

But Wellington, who had already finished first in a 32-Game Scrabble marathon to qualify for the two-man finals and defeated his English opponent in just four games and thus becomes the new World Scrabble Champion.

NAN recalls that Wellington also placed 3rd at the World Scrabble Championship in 2007.

Nigeria also emerged as the best team of the championship as five of its six representatives finished in top 50 players of the tournament with Ayorinde Saidu and Emmanuel Umujose placing 16th and 17th, respectively.

With this victory Nigeria will gain more slots in terms of representations at subsequent world tournaments.

The President of the Nigeria Scrabble Federation (NSF), Suleiman Garba, in a phone interview with NAN, attributed the victory to hard work and dedication.

“It is a testimony of the potential of Nigeria as a country and the sacrifice and hard work of the board under my leadership.

“We started preparation about a year ago with seven camps which we christened Scrabble Meets to put our team in shape for the world championship and it has paid off.

“I am very proud of the Nigerian team and very proud to be Nigerian.

“I hope this victory will be made complete when our Golden Eaglets wins the World Cup later today,’’ he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/jighere-wellington-of-nigeria-emerges-world-scrabble-champion/

stop stealing articles and then paste them into here and then link to the original article. its just a waste of time.

(1) (Reply)

101-yr-old Olubadan's Deputy Dies At 91 / Nurses Don't Deserve Mockery / No Fuel...no Light #pathetic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.