Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar (1892 Views)

Celebrating Valentine's Days (A Short Fatwa) / Short Note From Mufti Menk On The Causes Of Stress / Discovering Our Roles In The Society - By Mufti Menk In Kaduna, Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar by Nobody: 6:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
salamu alaykum warahmatullah wa barakatuhu dear brothers and sisters in islam, please click https://islamictext./music-azhar-fatwa/ to see the fatwa on music by the grand mufti and shaykh of al-azhar, i need to know the opinion of my muslim brothers and sisters here on nairaland. salam!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
Albaqir, Empiree, Demmzy15, Rilwayne001, vedaxcool, idisuleourown, et al, your attentions are needed.
Re: Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar by AlBaqir(m): 7:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
I read through the fatwa and to me the sheik is on the line. I have comment once on Music and Musical instruments on a thread. However here's my submissions once again:

I think we should first define what "Music" is then we can extrapolate what Islam says on this.

According to wikipedia:
"Music is an art form whose medium is sound. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture."

Generally speaking, a Music is a form of pleasant sound in a defined rhythm with beats or no beats.

Recitation of the holy Qur'an, adhan, Nahw, Qassida, etc with a beautiful pleasant voice perhaps with regular rhythm or no rhythm is "music" in that broader definition. Likewise, secular Music like rap, raggae, blues, R&B, hiphop etc.

Islamic verdict on the "Music" is bore out from various verses of the holy Qur'an among whom are:
"And of mankind is he who purchases lahw hadiz to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire)." ~sura Luqman:6

"And when they see some lahw they disperse headlong to it, and leave you (Muhammad) standing. Say "That which Allah has is better than any lahw! And Allah is the Best of providers." ~sura Jumu'a: 11

Notice the word "lahw" and "lahw hadiz". Its a word with broad meaning. It could be "idle talk, jokes, anecdotes, music etc which could divert mind from the remembrance of God.

Interestingly, the first verse above (sura luqman: 6) was revealed with a particular incidence in which Nadhir ibn Arif, a marchant used to entertain people with "idle-talks and legendary mythical stories" in order to lure people away from the "message of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his progeny).

The second verse (sura Jumu'a:11) was revealed when on Friday the prophet was on the Minbar reciting khutba, nearly all the companions except few abandoned him to listen to a man who sales goods but alas the Music which this man plays lured them.

Islamic Jurist
In line with this verses and similar verses, for a Music to become Haram/Halal in Islam, following charateristics must be met:

A. The Lyrics - Here music with a sinful or meaningless message is haram. However, music with good and sound lyrics is allowed provided other criteria below are met.

B. Sound/Rhythm - any form of sound/rhythm that can divert or alter man's state of awareness (intellect) and consciousness is haram. Some Sounds/rhythm are so intoxicating. And besides, most sounds/rhythm are so effective that it zeros the message of the music to the listener. They are also powerful to the extent that the lasting effect is nearly permanent even when you don't listen to them.

C. The Musician - no doubt musician influenced their listeners in one way or the other, consciously or unconsciously. For a music to be permitted in Islam, the musician must be an exemplary in good manners - talking, dressing, characters etc.
Its definitely haram for a woman to sing infront of men that are not her mahram.

D. The Musical Instruments
These tools majorly produce sounds and rhythm. They can be group into two categories:

i. some are designed specifically to produce sound/rhythm describe above (under sound/rhythm). These types are haram.

ii. some can be used either for halal purpose or haram purpose; and it becomes either based on what's used for.

What the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) and the Imams of his ahl al-bayt (as) says about Music is immense. And there is unanimity from all ulama, either sunni or Shi'a, that music is haram.

I will, for now, summarize by the following notes of Ayatullah Sistani:

"Forbidden music is the music that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, even if it does not arouse sexual temptations. Permissible music is the music that is not suitable for such gatherings, even if it does not soothe the nerves like the martial music and that played at funerals.

All songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm. Based on
the definition that we accept, al-ghinã’ is the entertaining expression by way of tunes that are common to those who provide entertainment and amusement. In this prohibition, we should include the recitation of the Holy Qur’ãn, supplications (du‘ãs), and songs of praise of Ahlul Bayt (a.s.)uttered to the accompaniment of those tunes [that are used by the entertainers]. The prohibition of reciting other non-entertaining expressions —like songs intended to lift the morale [of fighters]— is
based on compulsory precaution. However, the tune that cannot be described as such is not harãm by itself.

www.nairaland.com/1902785/music-singing-dancing-questions-answers

The negative effect of music to one's spiritual life is inadmissible. Its a system designed by shaytan to hinder man from reaching his spiritual zenith.

Wa salam alaykum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
Re: Fatwa On Music By The Grand Mufti And Shaykh Of Al-azhar by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 08, 2015

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Faroq Onikijipa / Us Pastor Terry Jones Cancels Koran Burning / Letter Of Condolence To US Ambassador To Libya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.