Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ (1307 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 2:50pm On May 14, 2009
Is it a cultural thing . . .?

What happens if you don't do it . . .? Will it be considered disrespectful . . .?
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by ifyalways(f): 5:58pm On May 14, 2009
who says its just Nigerians?
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by bsanya(f): 12:14pm On May 15, 2009
to avoid flies!
yes now!!!
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by SeXyBoNE: 11:39pm On May 17, 2009
y do american open there food when serving them??
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by mamagee3(f): 7:04pm On Jul 20, 2009
It's a good hygienic behaviour. wink
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Fhemmmy: 11:23pm On Jul 20, 2009
germs and flies
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 6:19pm On Jul 21, 2009
SeXyBoNE:

y do american open there food when serving them??

There are no mosquitoes in Obodo Oyinbo . . . hehehe . . .

Fhemmmy:

germs and flies
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by spikedcylinder: 6:57pm On Jul 21, 2009
To prevent micro organisms from shitting in it. tongue
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Fhemmmy: 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2009
Winnergal:

There are no mosquitoes in Obodo Oyinbo . . . hehehe . . .

The mosquitoes in obodo land are more advanced oh.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 9:33pm On Jul 21, 2009
Fhemmmy:

The mosquitoes in obodo land are more advanced oh.
Where exactly, Obo landies get level,
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Fhemmmy: 10:32pm On Jul 21, 2009
Winnergal:

Where exactly, Obo landies get level,

Anywhere in obodo land, there are mosquitoes.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 10:59pm On Jul 21, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Anywhere in obodo land, there are mosquitoes.

Of course there are . . . LOL
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Fhemmmy: 11:08pm On Jul 21, 2009
Winnergal:

Of course there are . . . LOL

Yes oh.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 22, 2009
plenty of reasons even in obodo oyibo.

People can cough or sneeze on the food.

Or spray spit in the course of a conversation cheesy

same reason why buffets are covered by plexiglass.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2009
tpia.:

plenty of reasons even in obodo oyibo.

People can cough or sneeze on the food.

Or spray spit in the course of a conversation cheesy

same reason why buffets are covered by plexiglass.

How is that possibe? . . . And what gives you the conviction that the cook doesn't sneeze, cough or spit on it while cooking? . . .
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 22, 2009
Winnergal:

How is that possibe? . . . And what gives you the conviction that the cook doesn't sneeze, cough or spit on it while cooking? . . .

you asked why do Nigerians cover their food. What other explanation would you prefer?

If one has to consider the various perils one can be exposed to through food, then one would never eat.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 11:30pm On Jul 22, 2009
tpia.:

you asked why do Nigerians cover their food. What other explanation would you prefer?

If one has to consider the various perils one can be exposed to through food, then one would never eat.

It's non of those reasons . . . It's just a cultural thing . . . smiley
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Fhemmmy: 11:46pm On Jul 22, 2009
Winnergal:

i dont think it has anything to do with the culture, Nigerians are just clean and dont wanna eat germs
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 11:51pm On Jul 22, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i dont think it has anything to do with the culture, Nigerians are just clean and dont wanna eat germs

From where? . . .

Why cover the food you're going to serve/eat right away with a plate? . . .
And if you don't want to eat the food immediately, put it in an air-tight container and store it in a fridge . . .
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 23, 2009
Winnergal:

the culture is based on something, which is what people have been trying to explain to you on this thread.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 12:34am On Jul 23, 2009
tpia.:

the culture is based on something, which is what people have been trying to explain to you on this thread.

On what please? . . .

tpia.:

Maybe i'm too slow . . .Who are those please and what have they been explaining to me? . . .
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Gabry(f): 2:21pm On Jul 23, 2009
Most malaysians do that as well to prevent flies and ants or any other living things like Cats (They always jump on thr table) attacking the food.

We have alot of flies and ants here unlike in America and Europe.

And to get an air tight container is damn expensive. Some of us use a food cover but most of us prefers to cover it with a plate to safe table space.
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by spikedcylinder: 2:31pm On Jul 23, 2009
Winnergal:

Why did you ask a question when you already have an answer?
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Winnergal(f): 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Why did you ask a question when you already have an answer?

Winnergal:

Is it a cultural thing . . .?

What happens if you don't do it . . .? Will it be considered disrespectful . . .?

I guessed it was a cultural thing that was i asked to confirm it? Do you have any problem with that? . . .
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by Fhemmmy: 9:51pm On Jul 23, 2009
Culture, Culture, Culture, wonder what has culture got to do with it?
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by spikedcylinder: 1:36pm On Jul 25, 2009
Winnergal:

I guessed it was a cultural thing that was i asked to confirm it? Do you have any problem with that? . . .

Do assume I do? undecided
I was wondering why you seemed to be rejecting every other person's contribution and opinion. If you knew and didn't want people to respond, why did you bother with the thread?
Again, it was only a question though it may appear as if I already have my answer. wink
Re: ~Why Do Nigerians Cover Their Foods With Plates When Serving Them~ by chrisical(m): 2:37pm On Jul 27, 2009
For hygenic purpose i think

(1) (Reply)

10 Foods That’ll Give You That Bigger Booty You’ve Been Yearning For. / Will You Eat This? / Small Chops Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.