Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine (25624 Views)

Skye Bank Takes Over Obat Oil Over N1.5bn Debt / BREAKING: MTN Group CEO Forced To Resign Over N1.04trn Fine / MTN Gets Nov. 16 Deadline To Pay N1.04tn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Adesiji77: 8:07am On Nov 09, 2015
MTN Group President and Chief Executive Officer, Sifiso Dabengwa, resigned on Monday morning over the N1.04tn fine imposed on MTN Nigeria by the country’s regulatory body – the Nigerian Communications Commission.

A credible source at the MTN Group office told our correspondent that the company subsequently appointed ‎Phuthuma Nhleko as Executive Chairman in a temporary capacity.

He said Nhleko, the current Non-executive Chairman, has agreed to act as Executive Chairman for a maximum period of six months while the company identifies a successor for Dabengwa.

A copy of Dabengwa’s resignation letter was made available to our correspondent.

‎It read in parts, “Due to the most unfortunate prevailing circumstances occurring at MTN Nigeria, I, in the interest of the company and its shareholders, have tendered my resignation with immediate effect.”

Officials at MTN said Nhleko was no stranger to the business as he served as non-executive director and chairman of MTN from July 2001 until June 2002 and thereafter as an executive director, Group president and CEO until March 2011. He has subsequently chaired the Group in a non-executive capacity for the past two and a half years (since May 29, 2013).

“I will assume responsibility as Executive Chairman for the next six months as I proactively deal with the Nigerian regulator and will continue to work with them in addressing the issues around unregistered subscribers as a matter of urgency,” Nhleko said in his acceptance letter.

The PUNCH gathered that Mr. Alan van Biljon would continue to serve as the Lead Independent Director on the MTN board of directors (MTN Board), while Nhleko takes over executive responsibility.

“Together with the MTN Board, my second priority will be to find an appropriate Chief Executive Officer to take MTN forward. I will then revert to my Non-executive Chairman role,” Nhleko added.

‎”Stakeholders are reminded that MTN will continue to inform them of any material engagements with the Nigerian authorities via the Stock Exchange News Service of the JSE Limited.

“Shareholders are advised to continue to exercise caution when dealing in the company’s securities until a further announcement is made,” the source added.‎

http://punchng.com/2015/11/5339 lalasticlala, dominique, davide470

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Lordtrillion(m): 8:08am On Nov 09, 2015
Not surprised though, knew it will happen sooner or later

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by estherdim: 8:16am On Nov 09, 2015
lolzz

he doesnt want to lose a penny

Get All type of Timberland Boot, Nike, Adidas, Emporio Armani, Casio Edifice, Smart watches Et all, visit link at signature below
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 09, 2015
Heads are rolling I guess.

Meanwhile Standards organization of Nigerian SON should look into this menace of substandard tech accessories being sold in the market. http://gidilink..com.ng/2015/11/all-this-fake-memory-cards.html

Below is a 2 and 8 GB memory card that got corrupted within 1 week while i lost sensitive information on it.

So painful. angry

10 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by chieveboy(m): 8:31am On Nov 09, 2015
Them never see anything yet!
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by malton: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
Seems even MTN has more credibility than the Nigerian leadership. Our leaders are power drunk. They will rather they go down the drain than resign their "rightful inheritance" over any controversy, no matter how grave the allegations are.

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Lilimax(f): 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
Chai!
How are the mighty fallen...? embarassed
I'm sure many will be sacked along with him.

3 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Burger01(m): 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
Useless MTN. They should just pack and go with their yeye poor service delivery angry

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by free2ryhme: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
He wants to do business as usual. What does he want to negotiate with the Nigerian authorities? Use bribes, etc to change the story. May God block him and his efforts off ab initio. May Buhari and the EVC of the NCC never be ready to be corruptly pacified by HIM. Amen.

8 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Vstuffs(m): 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
this is not cool...

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
.MTN neva see anything yet; they think say nobody fit deal with dem..'

Ole !

' If U see ao Mtn deal with me'*Deducting nd remuvin all my credit without subscribing or calling** I call customer care reach level' Dey nodey pick again'..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by free2ryhme: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2015
undecided
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by sule17(m): 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
God punish them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by kulobyno: 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
I tell you the man is most likely sacked by the board but its more courteous to use the word "resign"

7 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
Great....

Lalasticlala ....I told you.When will my suggestions on how MTN would survive make fp undecided
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ONESON1(m): 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
Ok

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
MTN the worst & nonsense network......My BB subscription not yet activate since first week of last month. After they ve deducted my 1000Airtime.
Airtel, Glo and Etisalat still far better than them.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by izikjon(m): 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
I saw it coming though
who cares!!!
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Pavore9: 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
MTN ooooooooo! cheesy cheesy cheesy They were so used to forming 'Oloye' until dem jam the new DPO! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Moral of the story.........Nigeria is no longer the disorganized playground for corporate miscreants!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Lilimax(f): 8:40am On Nov 09, 2015
This is a very good time to buy MTN's share embarassed
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Kreamie(m): 8:41am On Nov 09, 2015
How's resignation going to change anything? angry angry angry...Talk about crying oover spilt milk
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Noblebrown7(m): 8:41am On Nov 09, 2015
Thank you... I'll apply..
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Demdem(m): 8:41am On Nov 09, 2015
None of my business. My primary business is for MTN to pay up their fine for ignoring our laws.

3 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by SuPeRq(f): 8:42am On Nov 09, 2015
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by prince4pro(m): 8:42am On Nov 09, 2015
Lolzz I laf in Biafra grin FTC Again grin grin
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Lilimax(f): 8:42am On Nov 09, 2015
free2ryhme:
He wants to do business as usual. What does he want to negotiate with the Nigerian authorities? Use bribes, etc to change the story. May God block him and his efforts off ab initio. May Buhari and the EVC of the NCC never be ready to be corruptly pacified by HIM. Amen.
Bribery may not possible in this dispensation. undecided
A lot of search lights are already on them embarassed

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 09, 2015
ain't seen nothing yet!
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by osariemenk(m): 8:42am On Nov 09, 2015
I am proud to see this kind of change in my country, if it where before, dem for pass backyard door..

5 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by damola1: 8:42am On Nov 09, 2015
oh boy, no be small thing o
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by eleko1: 8:43am On Nov 09, 2015
.that one nor be news. I'll be happy if the useless network stop sending me useless unsolicited
/annoying sms.Seem GLO Don stop.God bless AIRTEL cool wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Forex Traders: Lets Share Our Experience / Christmas: Excitement In Cross River As 'abakaliki Rice' Sells For N14,500 / Bet9ja Refused To Pay 15 Million Won With Bonus All Evidence Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.