Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 AM

MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine (25598 Views)

Skye Bank Takes Over Obat Oil Over N1.5bn Debt / BREAKING: MTN Group CEO Forced To Resign Over N1.04trn Fine / MTN Gets Nov. 16 Deadline To Pay N1.04tn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 09, 2015
smh
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by AishyWemsy(f): 8:43am On Nov 09, 2015
Thought it was all a joke. No wonder mtn is charging calls like tomorrow no dey. We need some better channels on dstv/gotv too, or they make d smallest bouquet 1500 again
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Tvegas(m): 8:43am On Nov 09, 2015
Good, that's a country where ethics of good corporate governance are followed. If it's Nigeria the board will have to put Otumorkpo on his seat before he resigns.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by jeeqaa7(m): 8:43am On Nov 09, 2015
Po
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by missKiffy(f): 8:44am On Nov 09, 2015
Nah serious something o
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by moscobabs(m): 8:45am On Nov 09, 2015
good for him grin grin
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by zaragoza(m): 8:47am On Nov 09, 2015
Nigerian government and NCC must stand firm on their decision. MTN must pay to the last kobo.

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Kx: 8:47am On Nov 09, 2015
Shows clearly that most of this foreign coys were willfully taking Nigeria for a ride because no one had in the past demonstrated the political will to protect the interest of Nigeria.

This single resignation will send serious shivers down the spine of corporate Nigeria.
I see DSTV changing their ways too pretty soon.

It can no longer be business as usual.
If this is not change, I dont know what is!

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 09, 2015
malton:
Seems even MTN has more credibility than the Nigerian leadership. Our leaders are power drunk. They will rather they go down the drain than resign their "rightful inheritance" over any controversy, no matter how grave the allegations are.
MTN is not a government company.

So don't compare emptyhead with Nigeria leaders
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by experimentist: 8:50am On Nov 09, 2015
No wonder network slow die
Mek i switch to eti
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by slap1(m): 8:53am On Nov 09, 2015
QatarPlayboy:
I hope the whole of mtn as a company would follow their ceo footstep and resign also. Just like those Biafra insects, mtn can go to not just hell bt the deepest and hottest part of it if they wish.

Did anyone force you to use MTN? Why do some people just vent unwarranted anger?
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Onyenze2015: 8:56am On Nov 09, 2015
QatarPlayboy:
I hope the whole of mtn as a company would follow their ceo footstep and resign also. Just like those Biafra insects, mtn can go to not just hell bt the deepest and hottest part of it if they wish.
ewu akpukpa nti.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by ceejay80s(m): 8:57am On Nov 09, 2015
QatarPlayboy:
Anuofia,atúrù,ewú, eziofia ,ofémmanu, yo-robber in another news dem don catch ur brother for go slow where dem go robb
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by arabianights: 8:57am On Nov 09, 2015
[quote author=malton post=39830563]Seems even MTN has more credibility than the Nigerian leadership. Our leaders are power drunk. They will rather they go down the drain than resign their "rightful inheritance" over any controversy, no matter how grave the allegations are.[/quote

And do you know whether he was asked to resign ?Either way, itsa good thing that Nigeria is stepping up to corrupt people who assume they are untouchable
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Acidosis(m): 8:59am On Nov 09, 2015
MTN should do the right thing. Sack all disloyal Nigerian staff, and employ people like me who feel the so called fine is evil and criminal.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Setaje(f): 9:01am On Nov 09, 2015
Please is there a way anybody can alert the government about Dstv. Their monopoly and bullshit must stop.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by rman: 9:02am On Nov 09, 2015
I hope everyone is aware that it I th group CEO that resigned and not MTN Nigeria CEO.

MTN Nigeria CEO is a Nigerian from Bayelsa, Mikel Ikpoki. With this development he may not escape the sack too and the first time a Nigerian became a CEO this happened.

Think Nigerians, think! They just made the Nigerians who are currently running mtn Nigeria look incompetent.

Nigerians are in charge of mtn Nigeria

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Acidosis(m): 9:02am On Nov 09, 2015
AishyWemsy:
Thought it was all a joke. No wonder mtn is charging calls like tomorrow no dey. We need some better channels on dstv/gotv too, or they make d smallest bouquet 1500 again

You want them to reduce bouquet to N1500 yet your country cannot provide them electricity.

Why don't you build your own dstv and sell yours N100?

2 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Acidosis(m): 9:04am On Nov 09, 2015
rman:
I hope everyone is aware that it I th group CEO that resigned and not MTN Nigeria CEO.

MTN Nigeria CEO is a Nigerian from Bayelsa, Mikel Ikpoki. With this development he may not escape the sack too and the first time a Nigerian became a CEO this happened.

Think Nigerians, think! They just made the Nigerians they handed the company over to run as incompetent

Nigerians are generally incompetent and corrupt. MTN operates in about 5 countries. Why is this happening only in Nigeria? Its simple, because the CEO is a Nigerian. No Nigerian will ever rise to that seat ever again.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 09, 2015
I come the pity mtn sef
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Acidosis(m): 9:07am On Nov 09, 2015
Setaje:
Please is there a way anybody can alert the government about Dstv. Their monopoly and bullshit must stop.

DSTV's existence in Nigeria has nothing to do with MONOPOLY. We have other DSTV related businesses like Startimes, MyTV, among others.

If you're tired of Dstv, go and buy a MyTV (The Nigerian version of mediocrity)

3 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by rman: 9:08am On Nov 09, 2015
Acidosis:

Nigerians are generally incompetent and corrupt. MTN operates in about 5 countries. Why is this happening only in Nigeria? Its simple, because the CEO is a Nigerian. No Nigerian will ever rise to that seat ever again.

It is painful
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Boss13: 9:10am On Nov 09, 2015
malton:
Seems even MTN has more credibility than the Nigerian leadership. Our leaders are power drunk. They will rather they go down the drain than resign their "rightful inheritance" over any controversy, no matter how grave the allegations are.

He was sacked by the board. Resignation is the usual word for sacking top management

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by donhils: 9:16am On Nov 09, 2015
Since the announcement of this fine on MTN, many Nigerians have rejoiced and danced over it. But set prejudice aside, what wrong has MTN really done to anybody? I'll answer that, None. MTN is and will still remain the all round best network provider here in Nigeria until Glo that is supposed to be the leader (having that indigenous edge) steps up to the responsibility. So why all the hates? Let's talk about NCC for a bit, what exactly were they thinking slamming such huge amounts on a company that's here to help? Has NCC lived up to its responsibilities? All networks being nuisance to the customers thru unsolicited texts and calls, stealing from the unsuspecting public. Have they moved to stop all these nonsense? What is NCC doing to improve the quality of services? Have they looked into the exorbitant rates of data in the industry? What have they done to better the lives of Nigerians? After MTN have paid 1.4trillion, then what next? What is the spirit behind this fine? And Nigeirans are rejoicing.

5 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by kingviny: 9:21am On Nov 09, 2015
S/HE who laffs when a stranger is being frustrated in his country should not cry when same fate befalls his/her relations abroad.

Who will fine PHCN for poor power supply ?

who will fine NNPC for oil importation rackets ?

who will fine Dangote Cement for not complying to the FG's directive to reduce cement cost ?

who will fine the oil marketers who constantly cause fuel scarcity thereby causing hardship on Nigeria ?

who will fine the President for failled promises and for failling to constitute his cabinet asap when the new Canadian PM did his
within the week he took oath of office thereby hitting the ground running on policy formulation and execution.

e.t.c

Even if MTN had violated your rules should you use a sledge hammer to kill a mouse? N1trillion! for a socially responsible company like MTN is too much. It will kill that company and it will also send wrong signals with respect to FDI. N100 Billion max is still ok to effect your corrective punishment without hurting the economic eco-system of that telecom giant!

When they decide to sack half of their Nigerian employees and they automate their jobs ( this is technology age ) what do you think would happen to the families that would be affected? so much for tackling un-employment! now, influx to the labour market will increase. At worst, MTN share holders would loose some monies but for Nigerian families connected to MTN, they would loose their means of livelihood.

NIGERIA ... THINK!

3 Likes

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by swaggerdgrt(m): 9:26am On Nov 09, 2015
Eyaaaa so sad
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 09, 2015
ceejay80s:

Anuofia,atúrù,ewú, eziofia ,ofémmanu, yo-robber in another news dem don catch ur brother for go slow where dem go robb
YAWN!
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by MYMINDER(m): 9:35am On Nov 09, 2015
kingviny:
S/HE who laffs when a stranger is being frustrated in his country should not cry when same fate befalls his/her relations abroad.

Who will fine PHCN for poor power supply ?

who will fine NNPC for oil importation rackets ?

who will fine Dangote Cement for not complying to the FG's directive to reduce cement cost ?

who will fine the oil marketers who constantly cause fuel scarcity thereby causing hardship on Nigeria ?

who will fine the President for failled promises and for failling to constitute his cabinet asap when the new Canadian PM did his
within the week he took oath of office thereby hitting the ground running on policy formulation and execution.

e.t.c

Even if MTN had violated your rules should you use a sledge hammer to kill a mouse? N1trillion! for a socially responsible company like MTN is too much. It will kill that company and it will also send wrong signals with respect to FDI. N100 Billion max is still ok to effect your corrective punishment without hurting the economic eco-system of that telecom giant!

When they decide to sack half of their Nigerian employees and they automate their jobs ( this is technology age ) what do you think would happen to the families that would be affected? so much for tackling un-employment! now, influx to the labour market will increase. At worst, MTN share holders would loose some monies but for Nigerian families connected to MTN, they would loose their means of livelihood.

NIGERIA ... THINK!

MTN needs Nigeria more than Nigeria needs them. It is simple. Keep your $5.2B and lose your operating licence. I assure you that losing the Nigeria market is worth a lot more and MTN will rather pay than leave. Nigeria is the 7th most populous nation in the world. It's not a market to be overlooked even if you want to. Everything has a beginning and end in life, including impunity. MTN realised too late.

1 Like

Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 09, 2015
Tell me when MTN will be leaving this country, I see GLO buying them

grin grin grin
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 09, 2015
Onyenze2015:
ewu akpukpa nti.
i hv a dream that one day, Biafra would get their own country and within 2yrs afterwards it would be compared to south sudan(abi nor be T.A Orji, Mba famalies, and ekweremadu wan stil rule una?) and there wont be need for nafdac nd ndlea anymore as nigeria would become free frm fake drugs/wears/goods and hard drugs.
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by DONOCHAS(m): 9:40am On Nov 09, 2015
FG be like, if una no wan pay, park your tins and go. Hahaha
Re: MTN Group CEO Dabengwa Resigns Over N1.04tn Fine by mbulela: 9:40am On Nov 09, 2015
Brandnew2:
Heads are rolling I guess.

Meanwhile Standards organization of Nigerian SON should look into this menace of substandard tech accessories being sold in the market. http://gidilink..com.ng/2015/11/all-this-fake-memory-cards.html

Below is a 2 and 8 GB memory card that got corrupted within 1 week while i lost sensitive information on it.

So painful. angry
SON is the most substandard Nigerian govt agency.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Tries To Give People Money They Reject, Thinking It Is Ritual Money (video) / Shoprite Concludes Sale Of Its Equity Stake (100%) In Its Nigeria Subsidiary / Forex Traders: Lets Share Our Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.