Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,724 members, 7,802,185 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello (26227 Views)

Ahmadu Bello Way, Abuja Was Shutdown To Watch Nigeria Vs Iceland / League Sx Fantasy Challenge For Nigeria Football Fans / The Dominance of European Football by Spanish Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 2:18pm On Nov 09, 2015
Aderonke Bello, an associate editor with Naij.com and a sports blogger, draws public attention to the dominance of Igbo footbal players in the Nigerian national teams. Aderonke names the reasons for this tribe’s love of football and explains why some football scouts prefer to engage a player from the Igbo tribe over any other tribe.
Growing up in a family that loves football has taught me a lot about the great Nigerian footballers, past and present. I recall the likes of Samuel Okwaraji, Jay Jay Okocha, Kanu Nwankwo, Christian Chukwu, Emeka Ezeugo, Mikel Obi, Onyekachi Apam, Uche Okechukwu, etc. All the above-named great footballers are Igbo men, as most of the footballers of such caliber to have ever come out of Nigeria are from this tribe. Nigerian football Are they more talented? Observing trending issues on the social media last week, I became privy to discussions and arguments by some stakeholders and learned people in sports concerning the fact that the Igbos are dominating the national teams, both male and female. Some commentators accused the team handlers of partiality in their squad selections. Many insinuated that the guys are always the ones they called because they feel they are more talented in football. This does not exclude the female players. Nigerians are interesting people when it comes to tribal issues. Truth be told, the Igbos dominated and are still dominating football in Nigeria. Kudos has to be given to them, this trend is wotrhy of acknowledgement. Having said that, I myself am a proud Yoruba woman, while most of my friends are Igbos. So, no one should accuse me of tribalism or picking on this wonderful footballing tribe. They have collectively brought glory to our great nation Nigeria in so many ways. In recent times, the squad that won the 2013 African Cup of Nations was full of the Igbos. Even the 2013 World Cup-winning U-17 squad. The upcoming dudes are Kelechi Iheanacho, Chidiebere Nwakali, to name but two among many others. Looking at the Nigerian leagues across the nation, it can be observed that most of the players plying their trade there are of the Igbo tribe. Nigerian players of the Igbo tribe abroad The statistics of the players in different leagues moving out of the country show that there are players of the Igbo tribe or descent in the Scandinavian countries, the Middle Belt, even in Yemen. I feel they should be happy and proud of their input and contribution to local and global football while they rightfully enrich their pockets in return. Many of them have adopted other countries due to the lack of chance to feature for their nation. They are of great determination. These folks represent us well with their sportsmanship. I remember a Super Eagles player, Sunday Mba, who scored the winning goal at 2013 AFCON, Mikel Obi, young Kenneth Omeruo was also superb with the strong input from the now retired Emmanuel Emenike. Statistically, about 70% overall national participation goes to the Igbo guys, while the remaining 30% is shared amongst other tribes. People from other tribes tend to “fade away” so soon, while the Igbo guys stand the test of time and are more devoted to the game and have lengthy footballing careers. I wonder how they do it. What is their secret recipe? Nigerian football 2 The reasons behind their love for football After thinking deeplu and raising some questions, I realized that this set of people like the game of football more than the rest of the tribes in the country, and also get more encouragement in doing so. It can be attributed to a number of reasons: physical prowess, as they’re genetically sturdier than the other tribes; they are encouraged by the number of successful Igbo players; their enterprising nature affords them the ability to foresee the riches that may lie ahead despite the short-termism of the career; football is better embraced as it is seen as a way out of poverty within the community; Igbos simply better football than the other tribes; there’s a better scouting network within the tribe. Meanwhile, you can hardly see a Hausa girl play football. Only few Yoruba girls come out to play the round leather ball game. Can we safely blame this on their religion and culture? Of course, yes! Some scouts will rather an Igbo footballer, because it is widely believed that they take football more seriously. Another thing that came to my mind is that the Igbos are business- oriented, and one fast way to big money is through football. I am really grateful for their efforts and I hope they keep contributing their skills to bringing glory to the nation through football.

Ndigbo kwenu! Aderonke Bello for Naij.com
https://www.naij.com/630823-dominance-igbo-tribe-nigerian-football.html

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by chocolateme(f): 2:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
Why not

3 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
When aboki dey pursue nama na that time he go use dey learn football or yorrober wey go dey collect omonile go come play ball for you.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 2:32pm On Nov 09, 2015
These is one of the few Yoruba who isn't blinded by sentiment..

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by athaboi(f): 2:51pm On Nov 09, 2015
That is the igbos for u..the spirit for excellence, original igboman want to make a name in everything he does. That is why i believe in that state"biafra" i bet u, u will be surprise to see that state's achievement in 10yrs. Companies will be like buildings, the gross domestic products will equal that of some countries in europe. Our problm in nigeria is set back, some tribes does noting. Very lazy and we cant cop in such society, only a true federalism or regional govt can make nigeria stand again.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by frankie15x(m): 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2015
It's not their fault. They are just the best. grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by tupacshakur(m): 3:03pm On Nov 09, 2015
The Naij editor is, no doubt, on point. The Igbos dominate when it comes to Nigerian football.

Meanwhile, the present female African footballer of the year, Asisat Oshoala is Yoruba.

Nigeria's leading all-time goal scorer is Rasheed Yekini, followed by Segun Odegbami. They are both Yorubas.

Yorubas sef dey try! grin

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Tolatutu: 3:05pm On Nov 09, 2015
you see the difference between tribes, if it was another tribe that was majority in the super eagles those who like crying marginalization will be making noise and telling us it must be due to nepotism . Whereas other tribes are not whining now

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by alcmene: 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
The last time one certain Ladan Bosso took virtually all northern team to a junior world cup tournament, we all know of the disastrous result that followed.

The man even collect FIFA warning join after one racial cooment grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by tobtap: 3:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
igbos are good at sport generally....

24 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2015
tupacshakur:
The Naij editor is, not doubt on point. The Igbos dominate when it comes to Nigerian football.

Meanwhile, the present female African footballer of the year, Asisat Oshoala is Yoruba.

Nigeria's leading all-time goal scorer is Rasheed Yekini, followed by Segun Odegbami. They are both Yorubas.

Yorubas sef dey try! grin

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...

39 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Macelliot(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2015
Tolatutu:
you see the difference between tribes, if it was another tribe that was majority in the super eagles those who like crying marginalization will be making noise and telling us it must be due to nepotism . Whereas other tribes are not whining now
Truth be told, they all knows the potential of an Igbo blood..

18 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Codedb2: 3:13pm On Nov 09, 2015
Check African Americans in sports in the USA
80%are Ndigbo.
They are talented

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by tupacshakur(m): 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2015
Macelliot:

Do you know that no single Yoruba was among the squad that won the African cup of Nation (2012).. Only one Northerner(Ahmed Musa), while the rest were (SE/SS)...

Nigger, Nigeria failed to qualify for the 2012 AFCON tournament.

For the 2013 tournament, Juwon Oshaniwa was a second-half substitute in the final match against Burkina faso . He replaced Elderson Echiejile.

6 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Sweetguy25: 3:22pm On Nov 09, 2015
Macelliot:
These is one of the few Yoruba who isn't blinded by sentiment..

In all honesty, most Yoruba's aren't typically blinded by ethnic sentiments.

7 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by tupacshakur(m): 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
Codedb2:
Check African Americans in sports in the USA
80%are Ndigbo.

They are talented

Guy, suffry dey lie na! grin

Analyse that your post again and give yourself a knock on the head.

Are you trying to say 8 out of every 10 black NBA players are Igbos? Then the likes of Kobe, Wade, Curry, James are most likely Igbos. grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by IGBOSON1: 3:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
obum88:
When aboki dey pursue nama na that time he go use dey learn football or yorrober wey go dey collect omonile go come play ball for you.

^^^Obumneme, was that comment absolutely necessary?

10 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Codedb2: 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
tupacshakur:

Guy, suffry dey lie na! grin

Analyse that your post again and give yourself a knock on the head.

Are you trying to say 8 out of every 10 black NBA players are Igbos? Then the likes of Kobe, Wade, Curry, James are most likely Igbos. grin

If you like Google is ur friend.
Too you can add mayweather jnr if you wish. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Alawe(m): 3:37pm On Nov 09, 2015
And that is how it would have been in every sector (the of fear of nigerians) if every thing has been based on merit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Eziachi: 3:39pm On Nov 09, 2015
Apart from Igbo man belief that if A or B can do it, you can do it as well, that was drummed into us from childhood., the only reason I can deduced to be the main reasons for dominant in sports was the Igbo man's after war experience with the Enugu Rangers and that sowed the foundation you are seeing today.

Rangers was the rallying point of Igbos to get something over Nigerians after war through one's own ability alone.

Rangers became our national team and despite the very poor officiating they Rangers usually receive then in the hands of Nigerian referees, they were still very successful team.
After the war, no matter what your qualifications are as an Igbo man, you are still at the mercy of the Yorubas and northerners to get anything and you have more chances of going to the moon than getting a job then. You either relocate abroad or start trading and then sports as your options.
But with sports, you are less at the mercy of anybody but your own ability.
Nigeria applied those backwards principles of suppressing talents for years and that cost them world cup appearances and AFCON for many years until Westerhoff arrived and called the bluff of the Nigeria football authorities insistence on federal character.

It's on record that the friction between Igbos and Yoruba that dominated the national team then cost them, especially the 1978/82 world cups qualifications.

Without Westerhoff, thing might still could be as it were in the past. Example: During the 1980 nations cup, the best goalkeeper in Africa then and runners up to Lahda Benlloumi as African best player of the year Emmanuel Okala was kept on the bench while Best Ogedegbe manned the post for the Eagles simply because of the federal character, to the surprise of many football fans who were asking why Okala is on the bench? Is he injured?
Modern footballers do not need Nigerian political intrigue or federal characters to succeed today. There is money to be made football that requires shere hardwork and parental financial support before you can make it that discipline and Ndigbo has those factors in abundance.
That's is the only reason Igbos dominate sports, especially football in Nigeria.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by tupacshakur(m): 3:40pm On Nov 09, 2015
Codedb2:

OK! Did you mean to say 80% of Nigerian-American sports men and women in the USA are Igbos, or are you still insisting that 80% of African-American sports men and women are Igbos?

grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Eziachi: 3:40pm On Nov 09, 2015
obum88:
Stupid and unnecessary comment.

9 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 09, 2015
Codedb2:

Talking about boxing and being huge fan, maybe I should open a thread so I can praise and let people appreciate the warrior exploit of my Yoruba friends in the boxing ring.

The next big thing Anthony Femi Joshua is Yoruba.

Lateef Kayode who until last week was undefeated in the heavy weight category is Yoruba. He got his a**e whooped though in Russia by Lebedev, the guy who nearly killed one of my all time favourite boxers.Roy Jones Junior.

Then you have Olarewaju Durodola aka Gods power. I watched his fight against South African Mchunu who was much shorter and lost....but he went to Russia against all odds...Knocked out previously unbeaten cruiser weight champion Dmitry Kudryashov in round two and one of my favourites of boxers Ola Afolabi also knocked out Rakhim Chakhkiev in round five.

Ola Afolabi by the way never had an amateur career unlike Lateef and Durodola who represented Nigeria in the past.

Not forgetting Segun Ajose who is doing well, I think he won gold in one all African games before moving to the UK.

Henry Akinwande...

There's another Naija/polish guy kicking azzes at the moment. He had an ufc/MMA career before going into boxing...his name...Izuagbe Ugonoh...I think his parents might be from Niger delta.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by basilo101: 3:59pm On Nov 09, 2015
The fear of Igbo domination has held this country backwards for so long. well, we igbos must uphold our cuture of meritocracy and competition, thats how we overtake those who got everything on platter of gold

21 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by kingzizzy: 4:00pm On Nov 09, 2015
Steven Keshi set up a good team, but they called it "Biafran team"

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by eaglechild: 4:01pm On Nov 09, 2015
An interplay of genetics and environment.
And Enyimba FC just won the league for a record 7 seven times.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 09, 2015
kingzizzy:
Steven Keshi set up a good team, but they called it "Biafran team"

Some people said same about Amuneke and his Eaglets when the list came out.

If he failed in Chile, that would have been his end.!im glad he succeeded. The former Abia man who coached 2009 eaglets and also under 20 would have been better than him had he not successed in Chile. Already some phool called him a scouting agent.

11 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by mojazee: 4:07pm On Nov 09, 2015
Macelliot:

.musa is from auchi edo state.

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 09, 2015
Viewing this thread..... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by PedroJP(m): 4:08pm On Nov 09, 2015
athaboi:
That is the igbos for u..the spirit for excellence, original igboman want to make a name in everything he does. That is why i believe in that state"biafra" i bet u, u will be surprise to see that state's achievement in 10yrs. Companies will be like buildings, the gross domestic products will equal that of some countries in europe. Our problm in nigeria is set back, some tribes does noting. Very lazy and we cant cop in such society, only a true federalism or regional govt can make nigeria stand again.

One thing move the Igbos which is their ideology that nothing is impossible. U can see that in their native saying that " ihe anamaghi ka esi eme ya, ke esi eme ya di". That is, what you find difficult doing and don't know how to do it, there must be a way to do it.

13 Likes

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Obumneme, was that comment absolutely necessary?

Not necessary but a fact

1 Like

Re: The Dominance Of The Igbo Tribe In Nigeria Football - Aderonke Bello by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 09, 2015
Eziachi:
Stupid and unnecessary comment.

E pain you? Oya take panadol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

London Olympics Closing Ceremony - Live / 2019 AFCON: Debutant Madagascar wins first ever game in their history / Virtual Football Betting Strategy ( How I Make Constant #13,500 Daily #94,500 We

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.