Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust (35092 Views)

Attack On EFCC: Why They Want EFCC Investigator Dead / Why I Think Buhari Fired The Army From Aso Rock! / Why Buhari Fired AMCON MD, Mustafa Chike-obi - Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by mrgwadex: 8:26am On Nov 10, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari has sacked the chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Lamorde.

In a two-paragraph statement issued last night, presidential spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, disclosed that Buhari had approved the appointment of Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu as the Acting Chairman of the EFCC.

According to Adesina, “Mr. Magu, who is an Assistant Commissioner of Police is to take over from Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde who is proceeding on terminal leave ahead of the formal expiration of his tenure in February next year”.

A source told Daily Trust last night that Lamorde, a commissioner of police, was asked to go ahead of the expiration of his tenure so as to inject fresh blood into the anticorruption agency.

“The president is keen on prosecuting his anti-corruption campaign in a transparent manner. The EFCC went into slumber under Lamorde. All the things you are seeing today are mere cosmetics to show to get the attention of President Buhari,” the source, who does not want to be named, said.
Asked whether Lamorde’s removal had anything to do with the alleged diversion of recovered stolen funds amounting to N1 trillion, over which he is facing probe at the Senate, the source declined comment.

Lamorde served twice as EFCC acting chairman (in 2008 and 2011) before his confirmation in February 2012 toa replace Farida Waziri who earlier took over from him in 2008.

Both Lamorde and Magu served during Nuhu Ribadu’s time at the anti-graft agency as head of operations and economic governance unit respectively. The two were also credited with part of the success Ribadu recorded in his time.

The man Ibrahim Magu
Magu, an assistant commissioner of police was one of the early recruits into the anti-graft agency by its pioneer chairman Malam Nuhu Ribadu. His most recent assignment was as member of the committee set up by the Buhari administration to probe the procurement of arms in the Armed Forces from 2007 to date.

Because of his perceived incorruptible posture, he was made the head of the sensitive Economic Governance Unit (EGU), which handles investigations of senior public officials.

As head of the EGU, some of the investigations he spearheaded included the alleged involvement of Senate President Bukola Saraki in the collapse of Societe Generale Bank of Nigeria; and James Ibori, former Governor of Delta State, who is serving jail term in United Kingdom for money laundering. He also played a role in the investigation and eventual jailing of former managing director of the Bank of the North, Shettima Mohammed Bulama, said to be his own brother in law.

After Ribadu was removed in controversial circumstance by former President Umaru Musa Yar’adua, Magu was also targeted for redeployment.

Farida Waziri, who took over in 2008, was said to be uncomfortable with his presence over issues surrounding loyalty.

Magu’s troubles peaked when he was accused of illegally keeping case files of top politicians being investigated by the commission in August 2008.
His house in Abuja was searched and his property, including a laptop computer with sensitive files, was carted away by officials of the EFCC at the behest of Mrs. Waziri.

Redeployed to the police after days of detention with nothing incriminating found against him, Magu was later suspended from the force, without salaries for several months.

But Magu was brought back to EFCC by Lamorde after he was confirmed as substantive EFCC boss in 2012.

Senate postpones Lamorde’s appearance
The Senate had announced the indefinite postponement of the much expected grilling of Lamorde , hours before he was sacked.

The former EFCC boss is being probed over an alleged diversion of recovered stolen funds, amounting to N1trn. He was asked to appear before the Senate today but the Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, which is probing him, issued a statement postponing it.

The probing of Lamorde by the Senators started last August shortly after the wife of the senate president, Mrs. Toyin Bukola Saraki, was grilled by the EFCC over alleged embezzlement of public funds during the tenure of her husband as governor of Kwara State (2003 to 2011).

Lamorde’s probe, according to the senators, was sequel to a petition written by one Mr. George Uboh alleging that the former EFCC boss diverted the sum of N1 trillion, being stolen money recovered from a former Governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha and former Inspector-General of Police, Tafa Balogun.

The EFCC boss, according to Uboh, diverted the funds when he was the agency’s Director of Operations between 2003 and 2007, and when he was acting chairman of the commission in 2008.
Our correspondent reports that although no reason was stated for the postponement, it could be connected with Lamorde’s sack.

A statement by the committee’s Clerk, Freedom Osolo tagged “Postponement of Hearing” said the hearing had been postponed till further notice.

“I regret to inform you that the hearing of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public petitions slated for Tuesday (Today) has been postponed fix for the time being, “ the statement reads.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/efcc-why-buhari-fired-lamorde/118717.html

2 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by INTROVERT(f): 8:27am On Nov 10, 2015
can lalasticlala confirm this piece of info....
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 10, 2015
All he knows how to do is fire and travel up and down angry
pay the 5k u promised. mtchew

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by abacus(m): 8:33am On Nov 10, 2015
Simply a reset button. Let see if they can blackmail Mr. Magu too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Aufbauh(m): 8:34am On Nov 10, 2015
It is expected and long overdue.
I fully realized that no wealth or position can long endure, unless built upon truth and justice.
Mr Lamorde have lost his reputations as an anti-graft czar long time ago, he was only trying to please the new sheriff by his renewed vigour of late.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by ishiamu(m): 8:37am On Nov 10, 2015
Ok
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Tunami(m): 8:48am On Nov 10, 2015
nobody is a saint.

1 Like

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by sandraokosun1: 8:53am On Nov 10, 2015
It was long overdue. It was only natural that everybody under gej(safe jega and a few) deserved to be booted out with the YAM AND GOAT THEORIST.
For a financial crimes commission that was blind to an adminstration where drivers and cooks acquired mansions in maitama(as revealed by a pdp insider clark). A financial crimes commission where its chairman was accused of corruption. No doubt lamode must have either be spell cast or seriously engrossed in corruption too, for him not to have brought a single politician to book in a tenure of corruption harvest.
I had wondered the moral justification he had to continue on that seat.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Iamoilprince(m): 8:55am On Nov 10, 2015
his profile looks credible.
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by NinaTohBadt(f): 8:58am On Nov 10, 2015
ITS SIMPL WITH BABA 70 " DO ANY HOW AND SEE ANYHOW"

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by lasisi69(f): 8:58am On Nov 10, 2015
Cause he doesn't play the ball... . End time
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Sijo01(f): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2015
Gworo eaters.
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by PLANETMARS(m): 8:59am On Nov 10, 2015
I pledge that Today is my birthday I won't beg for likes

13 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Emmafe(m): 9:00am On Nov 10, 2015
Lol

Anyway, if you're a soccer fan, you need know this website.

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by free2ryhme: 9:00am On Nov 10, 2015
today bush meat catch the hunter
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Dannyset(m): 9:00am On Nov 10, 2015
Mtchewww!
Same story different headlines making FP over and over again. I don't know what's different between what's here and what we've seen since ysday about Magu.

Meanwhile, I blv this Magu guy is in for a good job.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by tolexy007(m): 9:00am On Nov 10, 2015
b
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by unbeat007(m): 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
EroticAngelina:
All he knows how to do is fire and travel up and down angry

pay the 5k u promised. mtchew
we don't need the 5k.
ALL WE ARE SAYING!!! GIVE US GOOD PAYING JOBS!!!!

6 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by repogirl(f): 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
The truth is even an angel will steal if the system has no process to make him accountable, there is no one who can withhold giving into temptation especially when no one is watching them closely.

Because of his perceived incorruptible posture, he was made the head of the sensitive Economic Governance Unit (EGU), which handles investigations of senior public officials.

3 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by searay(m): 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
IBUhari
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by HRich(m): 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
mrgwadex:

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/efcc-why-buhari-fired-lamorde/118717.html
One day Buhari will Sack his Vice out of mistake in sacking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by magicminister: 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
[b]sighs.
Another super story.
I didn't even read the article.
What is the policy direction of this government?
All they feed us is stories and counter stories.
Up till date, buhari has not properly declared his asset and if you think that that joke he issued was asset declaration, then you need to wake up.
I am quickly loosing faith in this administration and honestly, its breaking me.

I have lost so much money in the stock markets within the past three months than i have lost since i started trading (save for the recession of 2008). The financial direction of this country is zilch. Investors are loosing billions and all this Government does is tell us stories and take pictures.

Not a single policy.
If it takes this long to name the ministers, how long will it take to give them duties? How long will it take for them to perform??
Buhari is shaping to be a colossal failure. I am judging based on the fact that he has been contesting since 2003 and when he eventually got to power, he still didnt have a clear cut direction. Its obvious that all he ever wanted was power and now he has it

I neither for APC nor PDP.
I am for Nigeria.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by djshoxy(m): 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
Yepa
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 10, 2015
Good!
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by HRich(m): 9:02am On Nov 10, 2015
searay:
IBUhari
You BUHARIA

1 Like

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by ionsman: 9:03am On Nov 10, 2015
The wailers see a Northerner. ...

I see a Nigerian who is ready to discharge his duties diligently.

God bless PMB..

4 Likes

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by seangy4konji: 9:03am On Nov 10, 2015
Rain rain go away.
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by boboLIL(m): 9:04am On Nov 10, 2015
Clueless and hopeless
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by RexTramadol1: 9:04am On Nov 10, 2015
Hmm
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 10, 2015
Sijo01:
Gworo eaters.
Hating PMB is not good for your health my deargrin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by Lilimax(f): 9:04am On Nov 10, 2015
ok nah! Whether the reason of his removal was given or not, I'm not interested.
All that I know is that the hunter has suddenly became the hunted undecided
A big shame to corruption, corrupt people and all that it represents! embarassed
Re: EFCC: Why Buhari Fired Lamorde - Daily Trust by ademusiwa9: 9:04am On Nov 10, 2015
Yfc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Island Women Walk For Bola Tinubu (Video) / Tinubu’s Forgery, Electoral Fraud Provoked Mmesoma Into Forgery: Aisha Yesufu / Ambode: Why The War Against Lagos Gov Is Not Yet Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.