Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,798 members, 7,806,208 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER (26230 Views)

Shadows Of Yesterday By Tiffanyj / Shadows Of The Green / Shadows....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 3:16am On Dec 27, 2015
THE SACK OF CHIEF AMAH had given MX5 an opportunity to strike. They had hoped to find a way around Chief Amah who of late, after Barrow’s disappearance, took to armed police and military guards, instead of his usual thugs. It was difficult then, to strike him without some bad upshots. His dismissal had been just the opportunity MX5 needed. He had been discharged along with the police and military guards.

The sudden sack had shocked Chief Amah. It was a direct attack at him and his ally ministers. It was the handiwork of his political enemies. Numerous as they were, he would deal with them one after the other. The ministers removed were entirely those within his camp. The NEC meeting where the announcement was made was just to humiliate him; there was no other agenda than the surprise package. It was a shame; the President couldn’t even make the announcement himself. He had sent his information minister – that fool, to do it for him and the President made sure it happened as he was away; to make sure he had no pressure to revert the act. He would undo it anyway, whether or not he wanted. The President must rescind the action. Chief Amah was on his trip to make the President upturn his decision, when the MX5 boys struck.
He was sitting in the rear of a disguised Peugeot, a tinted car, with covered plates, driven by one of his most trusted thugs. He was headed for the shrine of his spiritual seer.
The Peugeot started off from his official house, looking very ordinary. No one would envisage the extent of power its occupant controlled. Chief Amah didn’t know the MX5 had been keeping watch on him since they read about his removal in the papers. They had cars stationed at all the places they knew he could be, and as the Peugeot rolled out of the house, the MX5 car set for his house, stealthily crept along with it, driving just close enough to avoid being noticed. They followed the Peugeot up to the entrance into Nasarawa, outside Abuja, before blocking it.
They killed the driver and took Chief Amah along in his Peugeot.
Because Chief Amah didn’t tell anyone he was going out, at first everyone thought he was in his room. His fleet of cars was in the house. The drivers were in their quarters waiting for instructions. Even the person manning the gate didn’t know Chief Amah was in the Peugeot that drove out. The man probably was not in the mood to go anywhere; he was worn out by the news, so they thought, until it dawned on them. Ambrose, Chief’s Personal Assistant, had come home from one of his errands and couldn’t find Chief Amah to report to. Two days down the line, as the man’s whereabouts were not yet known, he had his set of thugs seize everyone in the house. They would be tortured until they confessed everything they knew.

AMBROSE HAD BEEN anxious to see Annabel, as much as Annabel had been worried to find him. He had been confident she would be at the hospital, but when he arrived, he was told she was missing.
“How the hell do you let a patient disappear in your hospital? Fools! Find her, find her, else I will bring down this place,” he shouted at the medical director.
“Please, sir, please. We will find her. We are making every effort to find her, and we assure you we will.”
“You better find her. You better find her or else…,” Ambrose slammed the door and ran out of the hospital. He was fed up with the disappearances. Chief was missing, and now his daughter, too.
Ambrose got home and was given a letter by the guard at the gate he had brought to replace the one who was in detention. The guard said he had picked up the envelope from the ground, by the foot of the big gate. The letter was addressed to Chief Amah’s household.
But I’m part of his goddamn household! Ambrose thought, and opened the letter.
There were instructions in the letter on how anyone could get to Chief Amah.

Ambrose set out immediately to bring Chief Amah home. The letter instructed that he would find Chief in a black Peugeot, by the Nyanya Asokoro Expressway, just by the roadside.
Ambrose arrived in a desperate jiffy. He decided he would call for police backup if there was any need, but he hadn’t seen any need for that yet. The letter had kept to its word. The Peugeot was at the said location, and Chief Amah was sitting in the back seat. Ambrose opened the rear door, to talk to Chief Amah, only to discover the man was cold. He had probably been dead for hours. Ambrose immediately dialed the police. They arrived and had the body deposited to the appropriate mortuary for further study.
Ambrose became more worried about Annabel. He had told the police about her disappearance, though he knew they would not do anything because she was a consenting adult. He was yet to figure out how to find Annabel, when his phone rang.
“Who, who is this?” he shouted angrily.
The caller was Annabel Amah.

The story continues...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
Wonderful post freshwaters.. Nairalanders and literaturelanders should please show some love on this thread!!! Don't lemme start mentioning your monikers before you come here
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
Thanks @ Royalkeed. People don't seem to make much posts. I actually felt like posting the book here to get people's comments since it was my first work. It doesn't seem to be coming. It's on sale and i'm posting it free here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Uncleluke1(m): 5:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
freshwaters:
Thanks @ Royalkeed. People don't seem to make much posts. I actually felt like posting the book here to get people's comments since it was my first work. It doesn't seem to be coming. It's on sale and i'm posting it free here.
....pls dnt be discouraged freshwater, for 'm lovin dis story wit every line i read. The fact that d book is for sale and u decided to post for free on NL makes me appreciate u dah more. More ink to yah pen bro #blessins_folo_you

2 Likes

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by cityAdventures: 1:03am On Dec 29, 2015
Boy is good. First time i hav ever read a writer thread on NL that was more than two posts. I read the entire pge 1. Keeep it up

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 29, 2015
Do you want this writer to get a little reward?Nominate this story for Story of the Month award here. https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=2818004

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 9:48am On Dec 29, 2015
cityAdventures:
Boy is good. First time i hav ever read a writer thread on NL that was more than two posts. I read the entire pge 1. Keeep it up

Thanks a lot @ CityAdventures.
I felt discouraged at some point, I must tell you. But with posts like yours I guess I will post some more. Why I wanted to get peoples' view is to help me have wide view of my writing styles and improve. I'm a lawyer but also i'm building a writing career. I'm serious about it and I aim at being like Chinua Achebe or Wole Soyinka someday.

My next book i'm sure will make the noise.

This book "Shadows" is written on omniscient point of view, my next book which is coming out next year is on first person point of view.

Being a writer is discouraging in Nigeria though, I still thank God. This book has been featured on international Business times, Boston Globe newspapers in US, etc and I have been interviewed by Nigerian Daily Trust, Leadership and Thisday newspapers on this work so as a debut I wouldn't say it's bad. I haven't made the money yet, and i'm not worried about that because money isn't in my mind when I write.

Thanks a lot. I wish Nairaland literature section can be more interactive. Like a book club.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 9:54am On Dec 29, 2015
NeoVictory:
Do you want this writer to get a little reward?Nominate this story for Story of the Month award here. https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=2818004

Thanks a lot @ NeoVictory

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 9:55am On Dec 29, 2015
Uncleluke1:
....pls dnt be discouraged freshwater, for 'm lovin dis story wit every line i read. The fact that d book is for sale and u decided to post for free on NL makes me appreciate u dah more. More ink to yah pen bro #blessins_folo_you

UncleLuke1 thanks a lot.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by cityAdventures: 4:30pm On Dec 29, 2015
freshwaters:

Thanks a lot @ CityAdventures.
I felt discouraged at some point, I must tell you. But with posts like yours I guess I will post some more. Why I wanted to get peoples' view is to help me have wide view of my writing styles and improve. I'm a lawyer but also i'm building a writing career. I'm serious about it and I aim at being like Chinua Achebe or Wole Soyinka someday.

My next book i'm sure will make the noise.

This book "Shadows" is written on omniscient point of view, my next book which is coming out next year is on first person point of view.

Being a writer is discouraging in Nigeria though, I still thank God. This book has been featured on international Business times, Boston Globe newspapers in US, etc and I have been interviewed by Nigerian Daily Trust, Leadership and Thisday newspapers on this work so as a debut I wouldn't say it's bad. I haven't made the money yet, and i'm not worried about that because money isn't in my mind when I write.

Thanks a lot. I wish Nairaland literature section can be more interactive. Like a book club.

U will go places brada..just keep at it. I write also so i know how tough it can get. Pls can u share how u got ur US publisher. I guess it is self publishing, so u paid them to get ur book ready. Can you shre how you managed to do this? It will help alot of other writers out here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 5:50pm On Dec 29, 2015
cityAdventures:

U will go places brada..just keep at it. I write also so i know how tough it can get. Pls can u share how u got ur US publisher. I guess it is self publishing, so u paid them to get ur book ready. Can you shre how you managed to do this? It will help alot of other writers out here

CityAdventure thanks.

Ok.

Its not that much of rigorous process.

First of all I was determined to have a near error free manuscript. After my first manuscript, I had the book shared to friends in chapters who went through the story lines to be sure the plot and story flowed well, while they also went through it for grammar, and (Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa) corrections, then I had a Nigerian editor go through it.

After about the 6th editing, (that's inclusive of the Nigerian editor) I had it sent for editing in the U.S. By a professional U.S editor. An American. She was going to charge me about 500USD but I told her point blank I had no such money for editing, she reluctantly requested I send her few chapters of the book, after I did she loved it and agreed to edit the book for any amount i'm ready to pay her. She ended up spending even more than I paid her on publicity for me in the U.S.

Lots of Americans are sincere and candid.

Then she also helped me with looking out for a publishing house, she wasn't really vast in traditional publishing so I opted for self publishing when some of the agents I queried were of the view its a Nigerian book.

I will say that one person that actually made the book process much possible was my manager, Michael Agene. He designed my website and made the whole stuff possible.

I self published using lulu and outskirtpress, even though lulu was free outskirt press took some good cash.

Anyone that wants to use lulu can get to them at www.lulu.com. They publish your book for free and you buy on demand. I had the book also on okada books, amazon, konga etc. There are print copies available also.

For a start one can self publish, but it's not the best way to go if you really want to be a big name like Chimamanda Adichie or Wole Soyinka. Self published books don't get so much publicity and don't get to win awards.

My next book is coming out through traditional publishing. I'm targeting CNN, Adjazeera etc interviews on it also.

And again the royalties traditional publishers pay you is enough to settle you. Some pay over $500,000.

And the book can be adapted into a movie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by IamDejman(m): 11:07pm On Dec 29, 2015
This is a great and wonderful story...

I'm in love with the book
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 5:15am On Dec 30, 2015
IamDejman:
This is a great and wonderful story...

I'm in love with the book

Thanks @ IamDejman.

I will appreciate if you could help me publicise it here. I'm giving the story free here while it's on sale on amazon etc. I just want more people to have a taste of my work, since it's my debut.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 8:56am On Dec 30, 2015
Chapter Twenty-Six
THE MURDER OF CHIEF AMAH had hit many people hard. It crashed like a tsunami for Annabel. She had been mad at her father, but it wasn’t enough to wish him dead. It was like those moments you got so mad with someone, only to hear some horribly devastating news about the person. She had an overwhelming feeling of sorrow for herself. He was killed like a chicken.
He was the only one she could ever call family. She did not realize how much he meant to her, until this time. She had always tried to evade the memories of her mother and little brother, who both had died in an accident, but with him gone too, she was not sure she could bear it anymore. He may have been a bad man, but he was not a bad father. At least he was always there for her.
She let the tears drown her. She wished it was a dream, a bad dream, such that she would wake up to discover none of it was real, but it was. The reality hit her face to face at the sight of her father’s body displayed from out of a small compartment at the mortuary. She stood staring at what had become of her father. He was pale and lifeless, the remains of what used to be a very powerful man. She thought of so many things she would have loved to do with the man, so many places they would have visited, lots of father and daughter games she never had and never would have the opportunity to play. The tears poured from her heart even more. She cursed whoever was responsible for the death.
When the news got to Charan, he was rather thankful. He didn’t know how it happened, and he didn’t care to know. He longed for this day. Maybe Vishnu had finally heard him. There was no other explanation he could think of: Chief David Amah dead, as in dead? He repeated in his native Hindu. Unbelievable! So finally he had the opportunity to run back to India without anyone coming after him. He would hand everything over to the Nigerian doctors at the hospital and run before the evil man changed his mind and resurrect from the dead. With the man, anything was possible. He would not wait for the damn funeral.

The political circle did not have any interest, at least everyone thought so at first, but they were wrong, not when a personality like Chief Amah died under such bizarre circumstances. The tidal wave started like a growing whirlwind of rumors, and then gradually as it sunk in, it developed into a giant tornado. The kind of tornado that could make a country of people, want to evacuate. There were fears of more attacks and counter attacks. Those other ministers, dismissed with Chief Amah, were already evacuating, as they feared for their lives, even as they prepared to fire back if needed. They had waited, and as the police investigations had revealed nothing, the MX5 would not leave any clue either. It became clear to them that the attack had been “a political assassination.” Once one of them had been hit, anyone was a target. They were war-ready, for the president, for those they knew were their enemies. The president had to truncate his trip to South Africa and fly home. He was very disturbed at how crazy things had turned. He had lost a friend and if care was not taken, he would lose so much more. He had to be home to make corrections himself. There were things he could still do to appease the warring zones.

The MX5 didn’t see any news in the news. Of course, they were the ones who drafted the script that played out. It was fun seeing their script finally play out the way it did. They were amused with the manner the turmoil grew and how the media went berserk with the story. The killer mechanics amongst them were glad the job offers from the warring politicians would soon be flying in. The stakes were high. The concerns, however, were no direct link to such high profile jobs. Barrow always got those jobs and led them to perfect execution. And now he was nowhere to be found. Of recent, it was confirmed that Barrow was not dead. “His spirit had not reported in the spirit world,” so said a seer, but days had dragged and yet he had not been found. MX5 had kept watch everywhere. Their eye was on Annabel, after her disappearance and sudden reappearance, since her father died. They were sure she would have some information about Barrow. She would lead them to him, wherever her father or whomever hid him. The MX5 did what they knew best, they waited.

The story continues...
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 1:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
IT WAS NOT LONG before Kunle turned on his phone, so he could call Philip to inquire about the investigation when the SMS arrived. On the other end, Steve had tried calling the line several times, and when he realized it must be switched off, he had sent a message instead.
The message was straight to the point: Steve knew about the kidnapping. The instruction was that Kunle should call back anytime he got the message so he could reclaim his car. It looked too preposterous to be true, Kunle thought. He didn’t waste any time before he called Steve. He was wondering where and how Steve got the information, and how he got to know about the kidnapping. He knew he never told Steve, neither anyone he knew. Anyway, he still followed the instructions. He called.

When Steve answered the call, he’d tried to talk calmly, but Kunle demanded explanations from him. They were in a stalemate when Barrow snatched the phone from Steve.
“Cut the crap,” Barrow shouted.
“Who is this?” Kunle snarled.
“I am Barrow, no Chris…you wouldn’t understand,” he continued. “Please, the situation doesn’t warrant these fights and arguments. If anyone is to be blamed for this, I guess I’m the one. Mr. Kunle, I know you don’t know me, but please could you give me the opportunity to redeem this mess?”
“I am listening,” Kunle said, with the blend of annoyance and confusion.
“Will you follow my instructions?”
“I’m here.”
“Go to Jasper Park, the clubs’ area, by 4p.m. today.”
“Where is that? And did Steve tell you that I am a Muslim? That I don’t drink alcohol?”
“You could send someone. Before I forget, Jasper Park is in Surulere area. It’s a popular club. When you get there, ask for what’s his name, Yaz. Oh, no. Not that, the name is Koso. I repeat Koso. Please do not mention “Yaz.” If you do, you or whoever you sent will be terminated.”
Kunle heaved visibly. Did he hear correctly, “Terminated?” it did not make sense, so Steve had joined someone that would send him where he would be terminated? Allah, have mercy.
“You will see Koso,” Barrow continued, “Call us and tell Koso the call was for him, that it was from Code 555. He will understand. He will collect the phone from you. Don’t worry. I will take it from there.”
The moment Kunle dropped the call, he called Philip. He was not sure whether he still wanted his car anymore, not with this kind of arrangement. He was hoping Philip had better news, better information that could put him out of this phony arrangement that was, surprisingly, coming from his longtime partner, Steve. He said it. The guy was going nuts. Politics had driven him nuts. But as he would have it, Philip had no better info. Shockingly, he too supported the crazy idea.
“If you think it was such a wonderful idea, then why not go with me?”He heard himself say. He knew Philip wouldn’t agree. He was sure Philip wouldn’t put his life on the line for him for the second time.
He was startled when Philip suggested, “Okay then, I was going to suggest that before. I would even suggest that you don’t go into the place with me. Perhaps the guys that kidnapped you might see you. They would recognize you, but they don’t know me.”
That was smart. Kunle never thought of that. He did not because he was afraid. He was sure he would be going nowhere, so he never even considered it.
The two of them then set out. He would wait in the car while Philip did the job.

The story continues...

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 01, 2016
nice update I follow you freshwaters
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
Lalasticlala, what are the requirements for frontpaging a story? If it depends on the standard of the story and nothing else, the story is definitely worth it. It is just flawless!
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by vickyfrancis1(m): 11:15pm On Jan 01, 2016
U re very talented@freshwaters..thumbs up
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by dominique(f): 11:28pm On Jan 01, 2016
freshwaters:
We will continue chapter Three tomorrow, those following should please share their comments.

I'm interested in getting the hard copy. Where is it sold online?
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by llaykorn: 11:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
Hi freshwaters. The address you provided for the konga link isn't working. Can I have a direct link to a site where I can get the hard copy without stress?
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by emaculate99: 11:40pm On Jan 01, 2016
Freshwaters, can I pm you please?
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by ifeoluwadayofun(f): 12:00am On Jan 02, 2016
Hello @Tony
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by echoedwalls: 12:03am On Jan 02, 2016
Much respect mate.

I just started reading.... I douff my cap for a man who can put a poem, much more a novel to paper then,I'm yonder amazed when he publishes it.
That's one courageous act that has inspired me.

I pray that;
your stream of muse never go dry,
your sheet never go blank and,
your ink never go dry.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by franconian: 12:05am On Jan 02, 2016
Reading...
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by CollinsMD(m): 12:40am On Jan 02, 2016
Great job brother
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by spafu(m): 12:58am On Jan 02, 2016
No be small thing oh
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by spafu(m): 1:05am On Jan 02, 2016
No be small thing
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by loveit21: 2:26am On Jan 02, 2016
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by oginga: 3:43am On Jan 02, 2016
Nice one bro, 1000 likes for you and your good work.

Intellectual nairalanders give constructive criticism if need be. Nonentities no bashing please, just read and get informed.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by huptin(m): 3:44am On Jan 02, 2016
Nice work, may God crown your efforts with great success.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? / The Lost Key / Being A Nigerian- "My Descent Into Savagery"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.