Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,412 members, 7,781,194 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:27 AM

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER (26198 Views)

Shadows Of Yesterday By Tiffanyj / Shadows Of The Green / Shadows....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by RuuDie(m): 3:49am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters

Great job man, I am encouraged reading your story. I'd very much love to learn a thing or two from you... I sent you a PM!
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 3:53am On Jan 02, 2016
Wow i'm really touched by this.

I had almost giving up here due to little or no comments I was getting, but someone (VIKTOR) here on nairaland just called my attention to the fact my post has been moved to front page.

I'm greatly touched by this. Thanks for all the Love from people here on Nairaland. I feel very encouraged by this.

I feel like flying. I'm moved to tears on seeing the comments and words of encouragement.

God Bless you all.

God bless Seun and whoever moved this to front page.

God bless Nairaland.

I consider this a freshly baked newyear package.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 3:56am On Jan 02, 2016
RuuDie:
freshwaters

Great job man, I am encouraged reading your story. I'd very much love to learn a thing or two from you... I sent you a PM!

RuuDie you can PM me.

Thanks. I don't know how the PM here works though, you can email me on tekwoaba@gmail.com

Thank you.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by bee444: 4:06am On Jan 02, 2016
Scrolling down to type this comment took me a while to do. Imagine how long it will take me to read a chapter of your book? I prefer hardcopy though.

Send me one. Thanks.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Minemrys: 4:20am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:
Hello everyone, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, fathers, mothers, friends and fans. I have decided to make my book available to this family.

I'm a regular visitor of this awesome platform and wish to share my book here.

You need to read this book.

I will be posting the chapters piece by piece as you read along.

Please feel free to drop your comments and criticism, i'm only a learner, though soon I hope to be in the class of Chimamanda Adichie.
(c) Copyright 2015, Tony Ekwoaba,(Shadows)

In case you want to use any part of this book, feel free to contact me on www.tonyekwoaba.com or tekwoaba@gmail.com.
www.fb.com/tonyekwoaba.

A few reviews of shadows, so you know what you will be reading.

"Very few books set an intense tone early on and keep you spell bound through and through, a fine blend of plots all intertwined..a real page turner.”
Dr Stanley Ukpai

“Shadows…taut suspense, solid characters, well choreographed action sequences and some good plot twist…a page turning thriller that will keep the reader on edge to the last paragraph. There is nothing better than a book you have to keep up until 2a.m. to finish.”
Umeh Ifesinachi Favour

"Many a corrupt politician started her or his career with aspirations based on integrity, betterment of their fellow citizens’ lives and something close to philanthropy, and it could be that Senator Johnson Ike was once a “Steve Obi,” and “Steve Obi” may find himself at some time not too different than what Senator Johnson Ike had become.
Shadows shares a message of hope as is noted in Barrister Steve’s speech after the soiled election: “Yes, we can be known for better things than corruption, crime, terrorism, poverty, instability and failed leadership. We cannot afford to lose our precious hope!” The book also envelops us into the labyrinthine world of Nigerian family and career life, politics, economy, traditions, and survival.
The political thriller Shadows is based in Nigeria, a typically busy, complicated setting of the best and worst of humanity’s capabilities, a place where one can sell a nonessential body part, and where everyone (friend and foe) shakes hands and everyone fluently speaks English as a second language.
Follow the lives and in some cases, the demises of Senator Johnson, Steve Obi (AKA Barrister Steve,) Steve’s wife Matilda, Steve’s best friend Kunle Mohammed Afolabi, Mrs. FolakeAdewunmi (a young nurse with AIDS), Barrow De Executioner, and Barrow’s girlfriend Annabel. At the end of the book, you will pray for a sequel!"
Suzanne Bowen,
U.S Blogger, entrepreneur

Have a happy read.

My next post will be chapter one of Shadows.
wow so there are g0od writers in Nigeria still? Bro am starting to dig the c0ncept even without reading the b0ok. How can i get in t0uch?
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Dioxidane: 5:16am On Jan 02, 2016
Bro, good job! Just read chapter 1 and 2 now, and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement... Once again, good job!

Erhm, I dey come make I go continue... smiley
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by amAZEing: 6:37am On Jan 02, 2016
@freshwaters, great job, nice read. I've read from the first page to the fourth, am impressed by the storyline, way you crafted the plot and the characters.

More ink to your pen.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by jnichole(m): 6:40am On Jan 02, 2016
nice one bro keep it up
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 6:52am On Jan 02, 2016
jnichole:
nice one bro keep it up

Thanks a lot @ Jnichole.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 6:55am On Jan 02, 2016
amAZEing:
@freshwaters, great job, nice read. I've read from the first page to the fourth, am impressed by the storyline, way you crafted the plot and the characters.

More ink to your pen.

Thanks AmAZEing. I didn't know I could write until started. Often times we never know what we are capable of doing until we give it a trial.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 6:59am On Jan 02, 2016
Minemrys:

wow so there are g0od writers in Nigeria still? Bro am starting to dig the c0ncept even without reading the b0ok. How can i get in t0uch?

Minemrys thanks a lot. I didn't know I could write a word until I started. I think it's all about one venturing to discover, as Socrates rightly stated, One never knows who he is until he "Discovers" Himself.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 7:00am On Jan 02, 2016
Minemrys:

You can contact me on tekwoaba@gmail.com thanks.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by yhemsy62(m): 7:01am On Jan 02, 2016
Just landed on this tread, Never read though but I can see peeps comments. Am sure it's gonna be interesting. Will start reading soon.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Fraih(f): 7:48am On Jan 02, 2016
Is it available for download anywhere?
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:

SHADOWS

By

Tony EKWOABA

Shadows is a complete work of fiction. The names, characters, organizations, businesses, places, and events used in the book are products of the author’s imagination and are therefore fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, events or places is coincidental.
E-Book Design by Amic Network
Copyright © 2015 by Tony Ekwoaba
www.tonyekwoaba.com

All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.
PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Dedication
To
Mr. and Mrs. Benedict Ekwoaba, my parents and mentors;
Mrs. Okoro, my teacher, who was the first to teach me how to write;
Mr. Jeffery Ucheh, my brother and editor, who held my hand at crucial points so I may finish this book;
And for everyone that has given their life, fighting for justice.

Chapter One
FINALLY, the results were ready.
Professor Moses Uwi smiled and leaned towards the microphone. He cleared his throat. “Once again, let’s settle down. We’re done with the collation.”
Taking the cue, the police fell into action, ordering people to sit down or leave the hall. But the crowd was defiant. The place grew rowdier.
Irritated, Uwi banged his glass case thrice on the table and barked, “You must all settle down and pay attention as I read the results! I will not repeat any figure once I start.”
This tended to do some good. Substantially greater numbers dashed about, trying to locate their seats before some opportunist did. Eventually the noise subsided. Then with the calm, studied gentleness of an experienced father after spanking his child, Uwi admonished, “You know, except you all keep quiet, we cannot read out these results.”
The strategy worked. Everybody settled down, and calm returned.
“I, Professor Moses Odiga Uwi, being the Returning Officer for the senatorial elections held on this day of February 2010, do hereby certify that these figures are an accurate representation of the results obtained and collated in all the wards of Owerri Senatorial District of Imo State, where this election was conducted…”

SOMEWHERE UPTOWN in the state capital, in the Government Residential Area, sixty kilometers from the State Unity Building where the election results were being announced, and twenty kilometers from the Government House, Owerri, celebration was already afoot. Select members of the ruling party, thirty-six in all, had assembled at the luxurious mansion of Senator Johnson Ike. Most were already seated and chatting in anticipation. Anytime now, the senator would make an entrance with his characteristic flourish. He had gone to the airport to receive the Vice President, Alhaji Abdulrahman Isa; the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Abu Moko; and the National Chairman of People’s Democratic Network, Chief Afolabi Atanda. It was widely believed that anytime this group converged, a political tsunami erupted.
Johnson Ike’s sitting room was gigantic, about half the size of a football field. The furnishing was exquisite: thick leather chairs, Italian design, with Romanesque flavor. Different electronic gadgets lined the walls and center. The most prominent of these was a five-meter-wide Sony LED flat television screen which took up a sizeable portion of the wall opposite the main entrance. It was a limited edition and installed by its Japanese manufacturers, who had to knock down a wall to bring it into the house. It came with sundry other paraphernalia including a gramophone, DVD player, satellite dish, cabinet, external alternative mixer and a squad of speakers. The speakers looked deceptively small and compact but could rake up a thunder, audible way beyond a mile. That singular purchase was rumored to have cost enough to buy a home.
The wall on the left wing was adorned with several fine quality paintings, some of them masterpieces. The family portrait of the senator with his wife and four children came from a painter in Paris. Right next to it was a copy of Pablo Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d’Avignon, which he had acquired from The Prado in San Diego. To the immediate left of the family portrait was Vincenzo Camuccini’s depiction of the Death of Julius Caesar. Other less famous paintings by local artists also graced the wall. No one who stepped into this room could help but marvel at the gargantuan size of everything. From the imposing glass center and side tables to the massive, fifty-piece compressible dining set; from the floating chandeliers to the ornate flower vases, everything appeared built to either impress or intimidate. Ike always wanted it big.
And he always got what he wanted!
The attendants served packs of Cuban cigars and glasses of champagne depending on what brand the guests preferred. A few proceeded to cut and light their cigars, while most just sipped their champagne and chatted idly in anticipation of the senator’s arrival. Only then would the real party begin.
What was almost certain was, when it was time to disperse long after midnight, they would all be drunk.
It was not long before the big TV screen came alive with the six o’clock news on Grassroots Network Television (GNT). After an initial promise to relay the announcement of the senatorial election results live “any time soon,” the newscaster went on to other items on the headlines: tales of fuel scarcity, bomb blasts, fraud allegation, unemployment, poverty, industrial action, corruption scandals and the like, which the newscaster narrated with a deadpan face.
Like junkies waiting for their fix, they huddled impatiently in their seats through the boring news. Their real interest was the response of the media and the electorate to the result announcement. As for the result itself, that was no big deal.
They already knew it.
A door swung open to the right, and in walked Senator Johnson Ike in stride with the Vice President. Immediately behind them were the Speaker and the Chairman, walking side by side. The quartet was flanked by aides and several Secret Service men in dark suits and goggles.
“Now, here comes the winning team,” a voice announced. Everyone stood up.
The Vice President waved to the entire house, making a double thumbs-up sign with a smile. So also did the Speaker and the Chairman. After exchanging pleasantries, they each took their seats as directed by their host. The other guests also sat down.
“Long live the unbeatable senator!” The state party chairman enthused. The attention reverted back to Ike. He was the beautiful bride of the day.
“Our own indomitable senator!” shouted Hon. Emeka Ezeugo. Ezeugo was the member of the House of Representatives whose constituency corresponded with Ike’s. Several others followed with their accolades, amidst much laughter.
“Thank you all for your kind words. And may I welcome you all to my humble cottage, ladies and gentlemen?” Ike could hardly contain the childlike joy that oozed from every pore of his skin. “Please, feel very free, and enjoy yourselves. It’s aalloondaahaause!” He said the last sentence with a drunken slur, lurching forward like a drunk. The whole room erupted with laughter.
Ike had remained in the senate since the comeback of democracy when the military ‘khaki boys’ were forced by death to hand power to a democratically elected government. There had been a successful challenge against his victory at the polls only during his first tenure. But trust his legal team of Senior Advocates, the court only quashed the elections and ordered fresh polls and did not declare the other party winner as prayed. The legal battle which went up to the Supreme Court had lasted well into the third year of his four-year tenure. In the eventual re-match that took place in February 2002, Chief Alphonsus Okorocha of the Grassroots Democratic Congress was an easy win. His lean resources after the initial three years’ protracted legal battle ensured he was too paralyzed to undertake any further litigation. The eventual result was an elongation of Ike’s first tenure. He couldn’t ask for better!
Since that bitter but glorious battle, every subsequent election had been a “kill-and-chop” affair. After three consecutive tenures without any scruples, the senator had acquired a mythical reputation. He strutted with the confident defiance of an alpha male lion—the seat was virtually a birthright. It was near-impossible to defeat him—he knew his game.
The truth, however, was that with the help of this same cabal now in his living room, he had remained unbeatable. Through the years, the faces might have changed, and so might the political office they each held, but the job description within the cabal remained largely the same. So also did the interest of the individuals: to win at all costs.
The senator had built a clout around himself. His flamboyant lifestyle was legendary—he spent as if he had a dollar farm somewhere in his courtyard, especially during elections. Practically everything he owned was custom-designed. His children attended only ‘Ivy League’ schools and drove only rare-breed luxury cars. His business managers, however, would tell you it all came from his jumbo pay from the senate, and the juicy deals that came with it like icing on a cake. Same went for most members of the cabal. This gathering was, therefore, not just important to all present.
It was a matter a life and death.
Resuming his sober mood, Ike continued, “This isn’t my victory; it’s ours together. You all know that without you this could never be possible. Let’s once again toast to a well-deserved victory.”
He lit a Cuban cigar, popped a bottle of Moet Hennessy, then filled and raised his glass. The others equally charged their glasses and stood up to toast. After the merry clinking of glasses, they sat back down.
At a signal from Ike, the attendants took their exit, while the aides seemed to melt into oblivion.
The National Chairman of the party, Chief Atanda gave an update on the post-election plans and the upcoming general elections. He was followed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Abu Moko, who expressed concern about the state of affairs within the party and their readiness for the forth-coming elections. The “little chap” the opposition had fielded for the just-concluded senatorial election had given them a run for their money. It appeared as though the senator had suddenly become unpopular since the “brat” emerged. Had it not been for a last minute intervention by the party chairman, the opposition would have disgraced them in the election. Moko said it was a litmus test for the general elections.
His Excellency, Alhaji Abdulrahman Isa, the Vice President, waited to listen to the others before he made his speech. He conveyed the blessings of the President and spoke on the presidential hopes for the party.
At about 1815 hours GMT while these deliberations were still on, the news on GTN was interrupted with live coverage of the announcement of the election result. Instantaneously, the talks ceased, and all eyes were fastened on the huge television screen.
“Volume, please,” someone complained. And the Senator obliged, hitting the volume to the desired decibel level.
On the screen, Uwi continued.
“People’s Redemptive Front (PRF): 353; Democratic Coalition Party (DCP): 474; National Democratic Movement (NDM): 130; People’s Democratic Network (PDN): 1,340,098; and All People’s National Party (ANPN); 1,020,075.
“By this result, PDN is the winner, having polled a total of 1,340,098 valid votes in this election. Therefore, the candidate of the People’s Democratic Network, Senator Johnson Ike, having scored the highest total number of valid votes cast in the Owerri Senatorial District, I, Professor Moses Odiga Uwi as the Returning Officer for the same election, hereby declare him elected and duly returned as the Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Owerri Senatorial District.”
A group of children who had just stumbled upon the castle of Santa Claus could not have been more excited than the politicians in Ike’s sitting room. Shouts of “hip hip, hurray!” rent the air. Glasses and more glasses clinked. The wine began to flow more freely, and the tongues became looser.
On the screen, the camera moved away from Uwi and beamed on individual members of the electorate. Grief clothed their faces. They were totally oblivious to the celebration going on in a sitting room sixty kilometers away. Most of them appeared deeply grief-stricken, disappointed, and even exasperated. Some waved the camera away as it edged towards them. A few, however, were eager to ventilate their anger and disappointment.
“What do you have to say about the result?” a reporter made the mistake of asking a young lady.
“What is there to say? This is ridiculous, I don’t believe the result. The election was rigged. It’s obvious it was rigged,” the lady retorted.
“We did not vote for Johnson Ike—how come he got over a million votes? I am sure none of us in this town voted for him, but he has the highest number of votes from our town.”
“This election obviously was a sham. It is sheer corruption,” someone shouted. The camera chased after the voice, but the man had squarely planted the back of his head to the lens.
The cameraman moved a few paces off. “I am not surprised—what good can one expect from a corrupt man like Uwi?” This was from a ludicrously chubby man with a bald head the shape of the butt of a gun. “How can a chicken give birth to an eagle? Ptueerrh…,” he spat out contemptuously and walked away from the lens.
The crowd faded from the hall. To most, it had been a bad day made worse. Thankfully for some, it was over and without any fatality.
The cameraman followed the melting crowd. Under the shade of a mango tree just outside the building, a small crowd was engaged in animated discussion. They seemed to be getting more and more excited. It was clear this particular group was in no hurry to leave the venue. The camera closed further in, and the reason soon became obvious. They were crowding around a man whom they had somehow cornered and prodded to address them. Presently, they were taking turns pelting him with questions on whatever bothered them.
The man was Mr. Steve Obi, popularly known as Barrister Steve.
He was the man whom most people thought should have won the just concluded election.

CHAPTER ONE CONTINUES...

Really captivating I must state. Please take a look at the emboldened parts. Is dere a mix up?
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 8:16am On Jan 02, 2016
Fraih:
Is it available for download anywhere?

Yes Fraih.

It's available on Amazon, and Okadabooks. The links are:

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UWOCCBE?ie=UTF8&redirectFromSS=1&pc_redir=T1&noEncodingTag=1&fp=1

And Okadabooks

Search for: Shadows by Tony Ekwoaba. (Complete Book) or

http://okadabooks.com/book/about/8749
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by keacy(m): 8:18am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:

SHADOWS

By

Tony EKWOABA

Shadows is a complete work of fiction. The names, characters, organizations, businesses, places, and events used in the book are products of the author’s imagination and are therefore fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, events or places is coincidental.
E-Book Design by Amic Network
Copyright © 2015 by Tony Ekwoaba
www.tonyekwoaba.com

All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the publisher.
PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Dedication
To
Mr. and Mrs. Benedict Ekwoaba, my parents and mentors;
Mrs. Okoro, my teacher, who was the first to teach me how to write;
Mr. Jeffery Ucheh, my brother and editor, who held my hand at crucial points so I may finish this book;
And for everyone that has given their life, fighting for justice.

Chapter One
FINALLY, the results were ready.
Professor Moses Uwi smiled and leaned towards the microphone. He cleared his throat. “Once again, let’s settle down. We’re done with the collation.”
Taking the cue, the police fell into action, ordering people to sit down or leave the hall. But the crowd was defiant. The place grew rowdier.
Irritated, Uwi banged his glass case thrice on the table and barked, “You must all settle down and pay attention as I read the results! I will not repeat any figure once I start.”
This tended to do some good. Substantially greater numbers dashed about, trying to locate their seats before some opportunist did. Eventually the noise subsided. Then with the calm, studied gentleness of an experienced father after spanking his child, Uwi admonished, “You know, except you all keep quiet, we cannot read out these results.”
The strategy worked. Everybody settled down, and calm returned.
“I, Professor Moses Odiga Uwi, being the Returning Officer for the senatorial elections held on this day of February 2010, do hereby certify that these figures are an accurate representation of the results obtained and collated in all the wards of Owerri Senatorial District of Imo State, where this election was conducted…”

SOMEWHERE UPTOWN in the state capital, in the Government Residential Area, sixty kilometers from the State Unity Building where the election results were being announced, and twenty kilometers from the Government House, Owerri, celebration was already afoot. Select members of the ruling party, thirty-six in all, had assembled at the luxurious mansion of Senator Johnson Ike. Most were already seated and chatting in anticipation. Anytime now, the senator would make an entrance with his characteristic flourish. He had gone to the airport to receive the Vice President, Alhaji Abdulrahman Isa; the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Abu Moko; and the National Chairman of People’s Democratic Network, Chief Afolabi Atanda. It was widely believed that anytime this group converged, a political tsunami erupted.
Johnson Ike’s sitting room was gigantic, about half the size of a football field. The furnishing was exquisite: thick leather chairs, Italian design, with Romanesque flavor. Different electronic gadgets lined the walls and center. The most prominent of these was a five-meter-wide Sony LED flat television screen which took up a sizeable portion of the wall opposite the main entrance. It was a limited edition and installed by its Japanese manufacturers, who had to knock down a wall to bring it into the house. It came with sundry other paraphernalia including a gramophone, DVD player, satellite dish, cabinet, external alternative mixer and a squad of speakers. The speakers looked deceptively small and compact but could rake up a thunder, audible way beyond a mile. That singular purchase was rumored to have cost enough to buy a home.
The wall on the left wing was adorned with several fine quality paintings, some of them masterpieces. The family portrait of the senator with his wife and four children came from a painter in Paris. Right next to it was a copy of Pablo Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d’Avignon, which he had acquired from The Prado in San Diego. To the immediate left of the family portrait was Vincenzo Camuccini’s depiction of the Death of Julius Caesar. Other less famous paintings by local artists also graced the wall. No one who stepped into this room could help but marvel at the gargantuan size of everything. From the imposing glass center and side tables to the massive, fifty-piece compressible dining set; from the floating chandeliers to the ornate flower vases, everything appeared built to either impress or intimidate. Ike always wanted it big.
And he always got what he wanted!
The attendants served packs of Cuban cigars and glasses of champagne depending on what brand the guests preferred. A few proceeded to cut and light their cigars, while most just sipped their champagne and chatted idly in anticipation of the senator’s arrival. Only then would the real party begin.
What was almost certain was, when it was time to disperse long after midnight, they would all be drunk.
It was not long before the big TV screen came alive with the six o’clock news on Grassroots Network Television (GNT). After an initial promise to relay the announcement of the senatorial election results live “any time soon,” the newscaster went on to other items on the headlines: tales of fuel scarcity, bomb blasts, fraud allegation, unemployment, poverty, industrial action, corruption scandals and the like, which the newscaster narrated with a deadpan face.
Like junkies waiting for their fix, they huddled impatiently in their seats through the boring news. Their real interest was the response of the media and the electorate to the result announcement. As for the result itself, that was no big deal.
They already knew it.
A door swung open to the right, and in walked Senator Johnson Ike in stride with the Vice President. Immediately behind them were the Speaker and the Chairman, walking side by side. The quartet was flanked by aides and several Secret Service men in dark suits and goggles.
“Now, here comes the winning team,” a voice announced. Everyone stood up.
The Vice President waved to the entire house, making a double thumbs-up sign with a smile. So also did the Speaker and the Chairman. After exchanging pleasantries, they each took their seats as directed by their host. The other guests also sat down.
“Long live the unbeatable senator!” The state party chairman enthused. The attention reverted back to Ike. He was the beautiful bride of the day.
“Our own indomitable senator!” shouted Hon. Emeka Ezeugo. Ezeugo was the member of the House of Representatives whose constituency corresponded with Ike’s. Several others followed with their accolades, amidst much laughter.
“Thank you all for your kind words. And may I welcome you all to my humble cottage, ladies and gentlemen?” Ike could hardly contain the childlike joy that oozed from every pore of his skin. “Please, feel very free, and enjoy yourselves. It’s aalloondaahaause!” He said the last sentence with a drunken slur, lurching forward like a drunk. The whole room erupted with laughter.
Ike had remained in the senate since the comeback of democracy when the military ‘khaki boys’ were forced by death to hand power to a democratically elected government. There had been a successful challenge against his victory at the polls only during his first tenure. But trust his legal team of Senior Advocates, the court only quashed the elections and ordered fresh polls and did not declare the other party winner as prayed. The legal battle which went up to the Supreme Court had lasted well into the third year of his four-year tenure. In the eventual re-match that took place in February 2002, Chief Alphonsus Okorocha of the Grassroots Democratic Congress was an easy win. His lean resources after the initial three years’ protracted legal battle ensured he was too paralyzed to undertake any further litigation. The eventual result was an elongation of Ike’s first tenure. He couldn’t ask for better!
Since that bitter but glorious battle, every subsequent election had been a “kill-and-chop” affair. After three consecutive tenures without any scruples, the senator had acquired a mythical reputation. He strutted with the confident defiance of an alpha male lion—the seat was virtually a birthright. It was near-impossible to defeat him—he knew his game.
The truth, however, was that with the help of this same cabal now in his living room, he had remained unbeatable. Through the years, the faces might have changed, and so might the political office they each held, but the job description within the cabal remained largely the same. So also did the interest of the individuals: to win at all costs.
The senator had built a clout around himself. His flamboyant lifestyle was legendary—he spent as if he had a dollar farm somewhere in his courtyard, especially during elections. Practically everything he owned was custom-designed. His children attended only ‘Ivy League’ schools and drove only rare-breed luxury cars. His business managers, however, would tell you it all came from his jumbo pay from the senate, and the juicy deals that came with it like icing on a cake. Same went for most members of the cabal. This gathering was, therefore, not just important to all present.
It was a matter a life and death.
Resuming his sober mood, Ike continued, “This isn’t my victory; it’s ours together. You all know that without you this could never be possible. Let’s once again toast to a well-deserved victory.”
He lit a Cuban cigar, popped a bottle of Moet Hennessy, then filled and raised his glass. The others equally charged their glasses and stood up to toast. After the merry clinking of glasses, they sat back down.
At a signal from Ike, the attendants took their exit, while the aides seemed to melt into oblivion.
The National Chairman of the party, Chief Atanda gave an update on the post-election plans and the upcoming general elections. He was followed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Abu Moko, who expressed concern about the state of affairs within the party and their readiness for the forth-coming elections. The “little chap” the opposition had fielded for the just-concluded senatorial election had given them a run for their money. It appeared as though the senator had suddenly become unpopular since the “brat” emerged. Had it not been for a last minute intervention by the party chairman, the opposition would have disgraced them in the election. Moko said it was a litmus test for the general elections.
His Excellency, Alhaji Abdulrahman Isa, the Vice President, waited to listen to the others before he made his speech. He conveyed the blessings of the President and spoke on the presidential hopes for the party.
At about 1815 hours GMT while these deliberations were still on, the news on GTN was interrupted with live coverage of the announcement of the election result. Instantaneously, the talks ceased, and all eyes were fastened on the huge television screen.
“Volume, please,” someone complained. And the Senator obliged, hitting the volume to the desired decibel level.
On the screen, Uwi continued.
“People’s Redemptive Front (PRF): 353; Democratic Coalition Party (DCP): 474; National Democratic Movement (NDM): 130; People’s Democratic Network (PDN): 1,340,098; and All People’s National Party (ANPN); 1,020,075.
“By this result, PDN is the winner, having polled a total of 1,340,098 valid votes in this election. Therefore, the candidate of the People’s Democratic Network, Senator Johnson Ike, having scored the highest total number of valid votes cast in the Owerri Senatorial District, I, Professor Moses Odiga Uwi as the Returning Officer for the same election, hereby declare him elected and duly returned as the Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Owerri Senatorial District.”
A group of children who had just stumbled upon the castle of Santa Claus could not have been more excited than the politicians in Ike’s sitting room. Shouts of “hip hip, hurray!” rent the air. Glasses and more glasses clinked. The wine began to flow more freely, and the tongues became looser.
On the screen, the camera moved away from Uwi and beamed on individual members of the electorate. Grief clothed their faces. They were totally oblivious to the celebration going on in a sitting room sixty kilometers away. Most of them appeared deeply grief-stricken, disappointed, and even exasperated. Some waved the camera away as it edged towards them. A few, however, were eager to ventilate their anger and disappointment.
“What do you have to say about the result?” a reporter made the mistake of asking a young lady.
“What is there to say? This is ridiculous, I don’t believe the result. The election was rigged. It’s obvious it was rigged,” the lady retorted.
“We did not vote for Johnson Ike—how come he got over a million votes? I am sure none of us in this town voted for him, but he has the highest number of votes from our town.”
“This election obviously was a sham. It is sheer corruption,” someone shouted. The camera chased after the voice, but the man had squarely planted the back of his head to the lens.
The cameraman moved a few paces off. “I am not surprised—what good can one expect from a corrupt man like Uwi?” This was from a ludicrously chubby man with a bald head the shape of the butt of a gun. “How can a chicken give birth to an eagle? Ptueerrh…,” he spat out contemptuously and walked away from the lens.
The crowd faded from the hall. To most, it had been a bad day made worse. Thankfully for some, it was over and without any fatality.
The cameraman followed the melting crowd. Under the shade of a mango tree just outside the building, a small crowd was engaged in animated discussion. They seemed to be getting more and more excited. It was clear this particular group was in no hurry to leave the venue. The camera closed further in, and the reason soon became obvious. They were crowding around a man whom they had somehow cornered and prodded to address them. Presently, they were taking turns pelting him with questions on whatever bothered them.
The man was Mr. Steve Obi, popularly known as Barrister Steve.
He was the man whom most people thought should have won the just concluded election.

CHAPTER ONE CONTINUES...

Check the first place u mentioned cigar. You wrote they light the cigar.....the correct word is lit.

The party results... All people's national party (APNP) was not abbreviated well. (ANPN)
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 8:22am On Jan 02, 2016
The Hard copies of Shadows is also available shortly at Silver Bird Bookshop Abuja (second floor, inside Silverbird gallery), and a few other bookshops across Nigeria, we just exhausted the last copies available. I will let you guys know once more copies are available.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Fraih(f): 9:00am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:

Yes Fraih.

It's available on Amazon, and Okadabooks. The links are:

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UWOCCBE?ie=UTF8&redirectFromSS=1&pc_redir=T1&noEncodingTag=1&fp=1

And Okadabooks

Search for: Shadows by Tony Ekwoaba. (Complete Book) or

http://okadabooks.com/book/about/8749
Thank you

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 9:21am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:
Wow i'm really touched by this.

I had almost giving up here due to little or no comments I was getting, but someone (VIKTOR) here on nairaland just called my attention to the fact my post has been moved to front page.

I'm greatly touched by this. Thanks for all the Love from people here on Nairaland. I feel very encouraged by this.

I feel like flying. I'm moved to tears on seeing the comments and words of encouragement.

God Bless you all.

God bless Seun and whoever moved this to front page.

God bless Nairaland.

I consider this a freshly baked newyear package.

You deserve much more, man. The story is just really great! Honestly! Keep it up. You inspire me a lot.

God bless you.
Thank you, Lalasticlala.

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by gemale(m): 9:45am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:
Those following, please kindly let us know what you think about the book so far.
So far... I can't stop my self 4rm devouring d words d way a starving refugee devours food. Kudos 2 D writer. He's gud. What I love most so far is his simplicity of expression.

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by jnichole(m): 11:56am On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:

Thanks a lot @ Jnichole.
freshwaters:

Thanks a lot @ Jnichole.
freshwaters:

Thanks a lot @ Jnichole.
i have stories like this but laziness wont allow me
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 11:59am On Jan 02, 2016
keacy:

Check the first place u mentioned cigar. You wrote they light the cigar.....the correct word is lit.

The party results... All people's national party (APNP) was not abbreviated well. (ANPN)

Thanks a lot Keacy.

I'm very grateful. Please let me know should you find other corrections. I will effect the correction. Thank you
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by obumsway(m): 1:20pm On Jan 02, 2016
Wooooow !!!!! You are one of the best writer if nt the best at the moment in nairaland...... Finished reading and asking for more !!!!!!! Your story is soooo fresh !!!

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by tobbyoladejo: 1:50pm On Jan 02, 2016
This is a wonderful piece of work sir. I'm greatly awed and impressed

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Minemrys: 2:04pm On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:

You can contact me on tekwoaba@gmail.com thanks.
bro thanks. I'll definitely get in t0uch. Am also a writer but unpublished as of n0w, w0uld like to kn0w m0re on writing, getting published and how it feels like. Thanks. I'll get in touch.

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Minemrys: 2:07pm On Jan 02, 2016
freshwaters:

Minemrys thanks a lot. I didn't know I could write a word until I started. I think it's all about one venturing to discover, as Socrates rightly stated, One never knows who he is until he "Discovers" Himself.
0ne pr0blem i often enc0unter. I find it hard to write and when i do, i l0ose interest bef0re i finish.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 02, 2016
That's pretty awesome.

1 Like

Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2016
Minemrys:

0ne pr0blem i often enc0unter. I find it hard to write and when i do, i l0ose interest bef0re i finish.

It's always so @ Minemrys. But you need to be determined to finish any book you start. There are times the idea will not flow as you would want it, just give it some time and come back to it.

Also ensure you get the plot of your story in your head, the character threat, the conflicts and resolution of the conflicts and the central theme of the book. This will guide you in the process and before you know it you are totally drawn to the book.

I have developed this concept I see my characters as real human beings, I equate them with certain behavioural qualities and by do doing, it's much easier.

Pick your book again, create time and you will finish. Should you need any help you can email me. I will like to assist.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 4:26pm On Jan 02, 2016
jnichole:
[left][/left]i have stories like this but laziness wont allow me

You aren't lazy bro, it's just that you haven't given it enough time. Make out time, maybe on weekends, say Saturdays and Sundays. At first you will find it difficult but with time your system will adjust to it and your ideas will flow more on those days.

I will want you to do it, because I know you can. I want to read your books also. You can start with short stories, then extend to nevella and further to full blown novels.
Re: SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER by freshwaters: 4:34pm On Jan 02, 2016
niyah24:

Really captivating I must state. Please take a look at the emboldened parts. Is dere a mix up?

Niyah24 thanks a lot. That was a mistake. It should have been GNT not GTN.

Thanks for pointing that out. Noted!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? / Being A Nigerian- "My Descent Into Savagery" / Life Under The Table (A Complete Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.