Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,237 members, 7,780,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:58 PM

How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School (32741 Views)

First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. / How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 10, 2015
hello, I'm a faculty of law student and I just finished my first year in school with with 3.39 cgpa and I'm getting the feeling that this year would be worse off, pls I really need your advice on how I can bounce back and make a first class before it is too late . your advice would not help only me but also others who are in my kind of predicament. Thank you

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 12:37pm On Nov 10, 2015
CGPA is evil, Your failures just keep hunting your future success grades. sad

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 10, 2015
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
CGPA is evil, Your failures just keep hunting your future success grades. sad
pls help me what should I do to recover
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 12:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
pls help me what should I do to recover
you'll need a 5.00 GPA this semexter and/or next. Since I'm not conversant with the faculty I'll give you a general advise. Nigerian lecturers all have different but consisting patterns in teaching and grading. do an extensive investigation on what your subsequent lecturers want in your assignment, tests and exams. Some like verbosity, in that case be prepared to cram; some repeat Past questions consecutively, be prepared to get loads and loads of past questions. This should work.

47 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2015
embarassed
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
you'll need a 5.00 GPA this semexter and/or next. Since I'm not conversant with the faculty I'll give you a general advise. Nigerian lecturers all have different but consisting patterns in teaching and grading. do an extensive investigation on what your subsequent lecturers want in your assignment, tests and exams. Some like verbosity, in that case be prepared to cram; some repeat Past questions consecutively, be prepared to get loads and loads of past questions. This should work.
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
ok, but how do I know what the lecturer wants..
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 3:18pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:
interview you senior colleagues... ask others in your Faculty organisation

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by FunnyDude(m): 4:44pm On Nov 10, 2015
Guy abeg forget that First Class thing,just hussle hard for other grades.

6 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 10, 2015
FunnyDude:
Guy abeg forget that First Class thing,just hussle hard for other grades.
why I thought nothing was impossible
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by damton(m): 9:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
is it a government owned school or private university? .

Anyway, don't ever give up on your aim. Just take each course, each semester, each session one at a time. And don't allow the bigger goal of first class grades affect your psyche too much to the extent you become disinterested in your course should you fall short.

Don't mean to discourage you but, getting first class is a very tall order in a course like law in Nigeria.

Besides, it's not about first class grade but about first class abilities.

my opinion though,

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by boboLIL(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
Strt having the feeling that dis year will be the best...stop flexing and flirting

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by moscobabs(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
R
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by englishmart(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
the time you spend discussing about ladies you wooed or want to woo, convert it to reading time. Start from there first

16 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by hakeem4(m): 9:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
Jjj
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Seunaj05(m): 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
B
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Hysmady(m): 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2015
Pray to God

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by francizy(m): 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2015
OP, never you take the words of the ode buruku above me serious ^^^ This is because prayers and no effort will definitely lead to undiluted failure.

On the topic at hand, OP, I used to be the kind of student who reads only a few days to exams only to obtain pass grades and move to the next class. Did all that in secondary school and during my WAEC/NECO and scaled thru. This is because i had no good secondary school background and no one was there to advise me. I wasnt even given the opportunity to study, hence i made up my mind that once i gained admission into Uni, i'll study hard and obtain reasonable grades. Then as I gained admission and heard loads of stuffs about ABU and how even brilliant mind find it difficult to succeed there, talk less one who knows nothing. All that made me reaffirm my commitment to study hard in Uni.

In my 100L first semester, I read like no one ever did (even to the point I started having eye problems). All my studying was in a bid to avoid having COs (never had any till I graduated tho) and also, to graduate with a 2.something GP. Imagine the standard I set for myself just because of what I heard about ABU. Well, I had a 2.67 in that first semester (same semester was the one I studied the most in my entire life). By second semester, I was gradually grabbing things that seemed difficult in the past, I had 3.49 and my GPs afterwards were, 3.96, 3.59 (most difficult Engineering semester in ABU and after I had this one, that was when I saw the possibilities of making a 2.1), 4.53 (this one pushed me into 2.1 CGPA), 4.27, 4.44, 4.63, 4.75...

My rise to a grade point I never had in mind was as a result of my effort. Sincerely speaking, op, I hardly attended Sunday services. My lifestyle back then was the easiest to map out as some people's were triangular (church, room and classroom), some were rectangular (church, room, classroom and social center) while mine was linear (room-classroom).

What am I saying in essence, OP,

know yourself-know when you're most comfortable studying and the best environment. This is because, some people understand better when they study with music, some understand better when they study in groups, some understand better when they study in a quiet place, etc. If you're studying at a particular time and sleep calls, don't force it, sleep and immediately you wake up, pick up your books and continue from where you stopped. I'm telling you all these because the semester I studied most in the Uni (100L first semester) was the one i had the lowest GP. In other semesters, i studied and when i was assimilating less, i pack my books and looked for the nearest babe or friend to gist with. I almost often went back to my books after gisting.

Make the most out of your past questions..

Don't form big boy or big girl (humility pays), take what you don't understand to the gurus around you (I did this one a lot in my 100 and 200L.

Lastly, pray hard and study harder..

93 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by PresVA: 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
There's no miracle if not to give your VERY BEST in the subsequent semesters.

Study harder and pray!!

3 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by 69MissedCalls(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
do what er'body do. read ya ass off

hmph! youth tho. they go to school but still don't know what to do there undecided

3 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Chrylich(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
I can remember when I was in this kinda situation too. I didn't take my first semester, HND 1 seriously, I thought it was the usual "just get an idea of whatever the lecturer is teaching, flex around, refresh with <30 mins reading b4 the exam" style I used when I was in ND. I eventually had a bad result, the worst ever..

The break that followed that semester was the time I talked sense into my head, I made sure I changed that bad 'reading for a short time' habit, I did a lot of mathematics, and that charged my brain. I, in fact, broke up with my gfs and when I resumed second semester, I had become this strange guy to everyone, friends hated me.. But at long last, I achieved my aim.. I was able to reset my brain back to 'default' and I reconciled with everyone afterwards with my grades coming out the way that didn't make me hate myself.

I can also remember a whole lot of spirituality stuffs happening with me around that time too due to 'Ramadan' and really, it assisted me a lot.

5 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by drizslim(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2015
Simply Change School grin

Or Change Department

Simple Advice

1 Like

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
Japhet04:

Listen for tips from the different lecturers on how they want their questions to be answered. During the review classes which may come up towards the end of each semester, you may decide to ask them expressly.

Another thing that would help is your getting close to someone ahead of you. Not just anyone, but someone who's one the A-list in his class. That way, you'll have someone to tutor you on how to settle in, and lay a handle on your law courses.

Additionally, try and figure out what works best for you, and when you do so, stick with it. Dont go to the library to read, because you see others going there. If you can read effectively in your room, then so read. Don't go to night classes to read, when you know you're not a night person. Find out what works for you: morning? afternoon?...

If I should share some details of how I studied in school then, I'll probably come across as unserious, but I stuck with those things, cos they worked.

Lastly, keep hoping and pushing for the best, and never lower your standards.

You still have a long way to go by the way, so, don't be discouraged by the 100level result.

Good luck!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by drizslim(m): 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
69MissedCalls:
v
nigga na me get this space ur occupying undecided
Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Demmocrats(m): 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
hmmm

Nigerians and there 5.0 syndrome that's why we can never produce minds like Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg etc

Grades is good but try to learn than to cram and come out with 5.0

Innoson is not a firstclass student but he employs first class.

Ifesinachi owns fleets of buses and still employ graduates.

Dangote is not a first class student still he imploys pHd holders.

Gani if am correct made third class and am sure thousands of first class lawyers in Nigeria today can' match his accomplishments.

Grades doesn't determine success, try learn and understand not cram by hardwork, good grades will fall in later.

I know so many first class that are jobless.

SEUN(GENIUS) is a dropout but am 100 percent sure he can feed his whole village including those with first class.

Bro don't kill yourself over a number, its just a number.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by jamex93(m): 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
just read n understand

don't read wat u don't need

and don't ryt wat u r not asked

be focus

3 Likes

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 10, 2015
Fiirst, there are very few cases of comebacks from a CGPA as low as 3.39 (and even an expectly worse second semester). Most first class grads have a track record from lower levels of education.

I'm aware of comebacks, but not as low as a 2.2 grade. For example, the best student in my class in the university started with a CGPA of 4.4 or so, and came back to overtake all of us early flyers and ended with a CGPA of 4.77 when we graduated.

That said, I don't think it's impossible. In fact, I have heard, but not sure how true, case of someone that was even in probation (less than 1.0) after first semester year 1, but still ended up with first class grade.

Mathematically, it is very possible, probably easy, given that you're doing a 5 year course.

Here is my practical advice: Get a list of all the courses you will do from year 1 to year 5. Punch them on excel or write them in a notebook, semester by semester, and put the corresponding units.

Put actuals for the first semester years that you already have.

Simulate what you need to score in each semester to rise to and stay above 4.50. Roughly, if you do eight 3-unit courses per semester, you will need not worse than A in 6 and B in 2, every semester to stand a chance. That's the minimum, by my roguh calculation, which appears to be a tough one.

Although I didn't start from a bad result, but I used this approach (writing down all courses from year 1 to 4 and setting target) and it was helpful. I actually wrote down all what I wanted to score from year 1 to year 4, after first semester year 1. I surpassed my target.

The articles here can also be helpful

http://www.jraushub.com/how-to-make-first-class-degree-in-the-university/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Sunnycliff(m): 9:21pm On Nov 10, 2015
Must you make a first class?
Anyway have a disciplined workable timetable! Read, Pray and have discussion class! Minimize time wasting activities and much social fanfare! Keep worthy friends!
Avoid Hoes, they sap the brain!!!

Goodluck

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Flashh: 9:21pm On Nov 10, 2015
Keep reading, and ask God to give you the ability to understand what you're reading.

Seems you are willing to get "first class" in law, I would advise you to focus more on your education and give girls less attention.

I wish you the best!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Recover Or Bounce Back After A Bad First Year In School by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 10, 2015
englishmart:
the time you spend discussing about ladies you wooed or want to woo, convert it to reading time. Start from there first
yes, but I don't do such things

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Resumption Dates For ASUU Strike Universities / Covenant University To Build School Of Law & Medicine With N6 Billion - Oyedepo / Ojerinde Speaks On Validity Of UTME Results For 3 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.