Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? (1288 Views)

Sultan Of Sokoto Reacts To Hijab Controversy / Father Mbaka, Mr Ibu, Osuofia Meet With Sultan Of Sokoto & Others In Enugu. PICS / Emir Sanusi And His Vintage Car Spotted In Sokoto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by karlriz(m): 3:42pm On Nov 10, 2015
Please it's important and urgently.

Is it possible for someone with Kano dialect not to understand someone with sokoto dialect at all when having a conversation??.

Thanks and God Bless you as you reply.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by ahnie: 3:45pm On Nov 10, 2015
2%slightly possible
karlriz:
Please it's important and urgently.

Is it possible for someone with Kano dialect not to understand someone with sokoto dialect at all when having a conversation??.

Thanks and God Bless you as you reply.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by shevi4mb(m): 3:45pm On Nov 10, 2015
Their hausas are different but that doesn't mean they shouldn't understand eachother
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by karlriz(m): 3:51pm On Nov 10, 2015
shevi4mb:
Their hausas are different but that doesn't mean they shouldn't understand eachother

Thank you sir. Though I wish you can write more on how it is possible or not possible.

I will appreciate facts likewise if possible. God bless
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by karlriz(m): 3:52pm On Nov 10, 2015
ahnie:
2%slightly possible

Pls explain why it's not possible with facts.

It's important. God bless!
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by ahnie: 4:02pm On Nov 10, 2015
Would hav loved to.....but ayam not too good with explanation.
karlriz:

Pls explain why it's not possible with facts.

It's important. God bless!
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 10, 2015
Loooool! Very possible, I'm hausa from kano and sometimes when a basakwace is speaking I hardly understand what he's saying. They speak the oldest dialect of Hausa, for me it's quite intriguing and I really want to learn it.

1 Like

Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by Funjosh(m): 5:00am On Nov 11, 2015
But I think they will have the general hausa that both understand
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2015
Funjosh:
But I think they will have the general hausa that both understand

Kananci is like the most used dialect of the language. But not everyone can speak it, some can speak both, for instance I have a friend that adjusts his dialect depending on where he is.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by itstpia8: 7:17am On Nov 11, 2015
I don't know.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by tinafix: 9:28am On Nov 11, 2015
only if they have there own individual dialect. but generally, they can understand each other speaking the general language just like yoruba, there is the normal yoruba everyone understand but same time they got their different dialect e.g ijebu, oyo,ijesha,ondo,ikare,okiti-pupa,ilaje e.t.c.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by karlriz(m): 10:04am On Nov 11, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Kananci is like the most used dialect of the language. But not everyone can speak it, some can speak both, for instance I have a friend that adjusts his dialect depending on where he is.

Thanks sir.

However what I'm trying to understand is if both of them can be speaking in their individual dialects (Sokoto vs Kano) and still understand eachother. Is that possible??. Thanks
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 11, 2015
karlriz:

Thanks sir.

However what I'm trying to understand is if both of them can be speaking in their individual dialects (Sokoto vs Kano) and still understand eachother. Is that possible??. Thanks

Yeah! But it will be difficult for both of them though in the end they'll get what the other person is trying to say.

Once you realise the Hausa dialect his speaking, you'll try to adjust your understanding. It's the same language, just that they arrange sentences differently and they use a few less familiar words.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by karlriz(m): 10:14am On Nov 11, 2015
tinafix:
only if they have there own individual dialect. but generally, they can understand each other speaking the general language just like yoruba, there is the normal yoruba everyone understand but same time they got their different dialect e.g ijebu, oyo,ijesha,ondo,ikare,okiti-pupa,ilaje e.t.c.

Thanks sir.

However does it mean they can't understand eachother at all in their individual dialects?? (Remember i'm being specific to "Kano vs Sokoto" strictly)...The case of ijebu man vs ondo man is different, I knw they can't understand eachother in as much as they are communicating in their respective dialects. Does that applies to the Kano vs sokoto dialect like-wise?
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by Salym(m): 10:50am On Nov 11, 2015
karlriz:

Thanks sir.

However does it mean they can't understand eachother at all in their individual dialects?? (Remember i'm being specific to "Kano vs Sokoto" strictly)...The case of ijebu man vs ondo man is different, I knw they can't understand eachother in as much as they are communicating in their respective dialects. Does that applies to the Kano vs sokoto dialect like-wise?

It is sometimes difficult for a person from Kano without contact with the Sokoto Hausa to understand certain words of the Sokoto Hausa. However, a Sokoto person does not have much problem understanding Kano Hausa because it is the most widely spoken dialect.They can converse but with clarifications mostly from the Sokoto man.
Re: Please Is It Possible For 2 Hausas From Kano & Sokoto Not 2understand Eachother? by karlriz(m): 11:02am On Nov 11, 2015
Salym:

It is sometimes difficult for a person from Kano without contact with the Sokoto Hausa to understand certain words of the Sokoto Hausa. However, a Sokoto person does not have much problem understanding Kano Hausa because it is the most widely spoken dialect.They can converse but with clarifications mostly from the Sokoto man.

Thanks. Really helped.

(1) (Reply)

The Unforgotten Yoruba (aina Sarah) / Exclusive Pictures | Why Katsina Sallah (eid Kabir) Durbar Is Best / Rare Photo Of HRH Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Prostrating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.