Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,474 members, 7,781,381 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:30 PM

Raising Business-savvy Kids - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Raising Business-savvy Kids (2323 Views)

10 Countries You Should Avoid Raising Kids Or Starting A Family / 5 Survival Tips For Raising A Large Family / Thinking Of Raising A Family? Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by cococandy(f): 6:31pm On Nov 11, 2015
Helicopter parents.
Funny but true.

It's can really be counter productive.
But with the kind of things happening in the world around now, you can really blame those that hover..
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2015
damiso:

You are right and as a student I mostly always excelled at subject matters I understood.

I think the issue and dilemma most parents face is that most educational system says you 'know and understand' by passing exams and acquiring more and more qualifications. And the way to pass those 'exams' is to know more and more which is why they enrol them in more 'learning'. I am guilty and I know how I used to snicker at my daughter's school Early learning style of 'learning through play'.

I saw a topic on another forum that said children of ethnic origin in the UK are twice as likely to have extra/private tuition on top of their normal school learning. I don't know if that is such a bad thing as they probably see it as way to help them do better than their peers.

We certainly need to spend as much time encouraging our children to explore the world around them.

Nice Damiso. I would only replace the word encourage by the word support as kids naturally have a very strong desire to explore the world so they need no encouragement but rather support. This is why Timbuktou's son is asking him all these questions. It is a child's natural desire to explore the world. cheesy And as the good father that he is, he is not killing the boy's curiosity but there to help him find answers (support).

As they grow older we should give them methods and techniques to find the answers and solutions by themselves instead of offering every answer and solution on a silver plate. It will teach them problem-solving skills and boost their confidence and, who knows, maybe help them become visionaries who proffer solutions to humanity's most pressing questions.

Timbuktou, what you said about Einstein is a myth. wink
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2015
Mindfulness, thanks for the tip. I did a quick search and found out he actually did fail French grin, though not math.
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2015
Timbuktou:
Mindfulness, thanks for the tip. I did a quick search and found out he actually did fail French grin, though not math.

Keep up the good work as a father, the world needs daddies like you wink

I really enjoyed reading your comments here. smiley
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
Mindfulness:

Keep up the good work as a father, the world needs daddies like you wink
I really enjoyed reading your comments here. smiley
Thanks for the kind words.
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by damiso(f): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2015
Mindfulness:

Nice Damiso. I would only replace the word encourage by the word support as kids naturally have a very strong desire to explore the world so they need no encouragement but rather support. This is why Timbuktou's son is asking him all these questions. It is a child's natural desire to explore the world. cheesy And as the good father that he is, he is not killing the boy's curiosity but there to help him find answers (support).

As they grow older we should give them methods and techniques to find the answers and solutions by themselves instead of offering every answer and solution on a silver plate. It will teach them problem-solving skills and boost their confidence and, who knows, maybe help them become visionaries who proffer solutions to humanity's most pressing questions.

Timbuktou, what you said about Einstein is a myth. wink

You are right support is a much better word to use.
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by damiso(f): 10:23am On Nov 12, 2015
Timbuktou:

And that's the point. The understanding. That's how to raise academically and socially sound kids, help them learn how to think and relate school work, which seems mostly abstract, with real life.

Of course, one can't understand without knowledge and they are right in that regard, also that kids learn through play. In fact, I'd say kids learn faster through play than in class, for male children at least. Cast your mind back to when we were younger than 5years old; we had mummy-and-daddy grin, and the girls used to cook grass, weeds and sand in tomato and milk tins. All na learning. wink

In my opinion, the extra lessons aren't a bad idea if the child is academically inclined and has one of those crazy photographic brains or if their basic education is clearly insufficient/faulty. Other kids should be studied and their strengths built upon. And the funny thing with most geniuses is they don't do well in schoolwork because their brains are faster and more advanced than what they're being taught in class. They are being dulled angry. Going back to Einstein, he was a woeful school student, but he had a crazy imagination.

Indeed, we do. I encourage my son to ask me questions by answering his questions as best as I can. The guy does ask the most unanswerable questions, though. grin

Tell me about the unanswerable questions..LOL

I wont lie sometimes I 'slip' into the typical naija mom ' don't kill me with questions' mode especially when I am tired.I decided to make it a conscious effort and these days we ( myself and hubby) even initiate the conversations.
Re: Raising Business-savvy Kids by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
damiso:

Tell me about the unanswerable questions..LOL

I wont lie sometimes I 'slip' into the typical naija mom ' don't kill me with questions' mode especially when I am tired.I decided to make it a conscious effort and these days we ( myself and hubby) even initiate the conversations.

Well, reverting to typical Naija mom mode isn't such a bad idea, though what I typically do is urge him to come with the question at a later time. They also need to understand boundaries. I'm not Google, you can't just come at me with questions anytime you feel like.

Also, good point on initiation. Reminds me of a recent occurrence where, on a road trip, I was teaching him the difference between a billboard and a signpost. He see me a little confused at first but once he got the hang of it I no her word again. "Daddy, see. Billboard." "Daddy. Signpost." etc. Though, I eventually tired of his excited declarations, I considered that time well spent considering he could have slept the entire journey.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo Campus Booster Is The Best Internet Data Plan For Nigerian Students / Animal Pranks: Share Your Pranks On Animals When You Were Little. / Must Read True Story, I Cried Alot After Reading This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.